About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Entertainment > ... and Rock and Roll
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

... and Rock and Roll All things music and music related. Listening, Buying, Selling, Making, or Breaking. Recording, mixing, sequencing, and amplifying. What tech to use and how to use it to make music.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-12-17, 23:51
deptstoremook deptstoremook is offline
Regular
 
Default Guitar Lessons...

Hey, I just started taking guitar lessons a few weeks ago.

So far, I haven't seemed to be enjoying it too much. Should I give it more time, or just quit if I do'nt like it?

Ive taken 3-4 lessons so far.
 #2 
Old 2002-12-18, 00:03
Sagewisher1 Sagewisher1 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Guitar Lessons...

Heh, I'd keep it up. You are probably one who hears a guitarist and is like "whoa dude, that's awsome. I wish I could do that!" That's basically how it went with the piano with me. Of course learning the guitar takes lots of practice, 3-4 lessons, you should be proud that your fingers are starting to callus But if you don't like it, you won't get better if you don't want to put the time in, and you won't put the time in if you don't love it.
 #3 
Old 2002-12-18, 01:25
NihilisticHate420 NihilisticHate420 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Guitar Lessons...

i've been playing guitar 2-3 years and i hated it at first also but it just takes time and practice until you get a sound you like and then you enjoy it, just practice whenever you get bored or dont have anything better to do
 #4 
Old 2002-12-18, 04:24
Certijal Certijal is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Guitar Lessons...

When I first started guitar lessons, I hated it. I quit after the 4th lesson. 2 years later, I picked up my guitar again and never went back.

Music is meant to be for fun, if you're not having fun, quit. If you're just getting annoyed that you cant play as good as you want to play, give it time. You cant be good at guitar just like that, it takes hard (but fun) work, just like everything else.
 #5 
Old 2002-12-18, 04:42
Danteaus Danteaus is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Guitar Lessons...

If you're finding it hard to motivate yourself, do this. Get some tabs of some songs you like and try to learn to play them. You'll find that there are some things that you can't do, and want to learn about, so you'll ask people who know, and they'll teach you. So its a mixture of teaching yourself and getting taught.
 #6 
Old 2002-12-18, 12:29
Renegade Renegade is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Guitar Lessons...

Picking up the guitar for the new year.

Peace Renegade,
 #7 
Old 2002-12-18, 19:23
Regular
 
Default Re: Guitar Lessons...

If you are not having fun doing your lessons, then just jam. Make some shit up while you play your gutiar. That way you practice your chords and also have fun.
 #8 
Old 2002-12-20, 01:31
one man riot one man riot is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Guitar Lessons...

Whoa, good idea posting it. I've been playing 4 years, since i was 12, back when i played bush and nirvana, well anyway, my dad played, and he taught me. but now i take lessons. Anyway, what you should do is run your scales and all the beatles songs and wahtever he gives you, then go out and goto www.punkhardcore.com (if punk is your scene), learn tabs, then learn to play your favorite songs. That's what i did to keep inspiration high. B/c noone wants to play G Em C D progs. all day...
 #9 
Old 2002-12-20, 02:28
djsam djsam is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Guitar Lessons...

Apparently no one wants to improve either.

I'm fucking tired of people who refuse (yes refuse) to learn new things. They just read their Blink 182 tablature, without even making an attempt into understanding how the actual music works.

The key thing in guitar, aside from the obvious practice, patience, etc, is to always push yourself. You'll never get tired of it, and you'll always improve your playing that way. People that can play any random punk song twice as fast as its writted may impress you now, but once you figure out what you're doing, they'll just make you laugh.
 #10 
Old 2002-12-22, 00:48
asaq asaq is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Guitar Lessons...

and just pickup your guitar when you are watching tv and just play with it
exept when there is a porn movie on you could better play with something else!!LOL
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics