About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Entertainment > ... and Rock and Roll
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

... and Rock and Roll All things music and music related. Listening, Buying, Selling, Making, or Breaking. Recording, mixing, sequencing, and amplifying. What tech to use and how to use it to make music.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-12-12, 02:56
Evolved Evolved is offline
Regular
 
Default Godspeed, you black emperor!

Just curious as to whether anyone has heard of this band and anything similar. I can't actually think of a definatition for the type of music that they write but it is pretty amazing. Very different to a lot of other stuff out there.

Set fire to flames is also another band that is similar.
 #2 
Old 2002-12-12, 14:26
Regular
 
-
Default Re: Godspeed, you black emperor!

my flatm8's quite into them, they're a bit depressing for my tastes but they are really good at what they do. i think the record label their on is constolation(sp?) records and most of the stuff on there is in the same vain methinks, try search for other artists on the same label.

cheers, dub.
 #3 
Old 2002-12-12, 20:35
Moderator
 
toronto
Default Re: Godspeed, you black emperor!

I was always under the impression that they were like a free jazz sort of outfit. But I have a friend who's band openned for them on a European tour and apparently its all fully orchestrated. Apparently their quite something live also.
 #4 
Old 2002-12-13, 06:16
govinda govinda is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Godspeed, you black emperor!

cool somebody else has heard of them. haven't had a chance to see them live yet. have you heard any of their side projects... they aren't too bad either.
http://www.brainwashed.com/godspeed/
 #5 
Old 2002-12-13, 20:05
wiltans wiltans is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Godspeed, you black emperor!

Oh yes I've definitely heard of them, and probably heard them too. The thing is, I haven't had one of their records within handreach for a while. They're Canadian and part of the family of true believers in music. In fact they played some festival wher I hang out 3 or 4 years ago, probably their first gig in France too. I wasn't particularly moved by their music at the moment ; that's why I don't remember how it sounds like BUT I'm sure I should give it a closer ear, just because some total stranger to me on this forum suggests it (o;
The point is I totally trust - musically - the dudes who program that festival, but I don't get a record of every band every year.
It's called Transmusicales by the way and it's in a town called Rennes - my turn to ask a question : anybody here has heard of that festival or played there ? -
So yeah, I've heard of a godsped black emperor from the right dudes and I'm sure the band Godspeed you Black Emperor rocks the boat !!
"My life is music and music is life"
(Felix Da Housecat)
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics