About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Entertainment > ... and Rock and Roll
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

... and Rock and Roll All things music and music related. Listening, Buying, Selling, Making, or Breaking. Recording, mixing, sequencing, and amplifying. What tech to use and how to use it to make music.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-10-25, 02:04
Rapz Prophet Rapz Prophet is offline
Regular
 
Default Samples and Programs

hey everyone, where can i find free good samples for hiphop or reggae that i can use in fruityloops... also does anyone know any voice changing programs that can make ur voice sound like if it was on the phone or sometihng? also, does anyone know any other good music creating program?
 #2 
Old 2002-10-25, 05:49
LordJugz LordJugz is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Samples and Programs

Does it use .wav files? If you wanna dish out some cash, or just try to find it on kazaa or mirc, you can get some programs where you can actually chop up the songs, then change it into .wav files, and use them. Its a pain in the ass and I have tried it, i just havent gotten hold of any good programs to make my own music. Best one I have seen is DreamMachine, but its techno, and the rap sounds on there sound like shit. If you find anything good post it, cause Im pretty interested.
 #3 
Old 2002-10-25, 17:30
djsam djsam is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Samples and Programs

quote:
hey everyone, where can i find free good samples for hiphop or reggae that i can use in fruityloops


1) Easiest way. Go on a search engine, and search for them

2) Better way: Record your own.

3) More tradtitional (but slightly controversial way): Take samples from old records. (And make sure you give everyone proper credit!)

quote:
also does anyone know any voice changing programs that can make ur voice sound like if it was on the phone or sometihng?


Yes. I've seen little programs that ONLY do this to a .wav file, but thats kinda useless. Before you ask this question, you should have asked, "Why does a voice on the phone sound the way it is?" The simple answer to that question is that phones only trasmit certain frequencies, and can only send a certain quality signal to begin with (which further limits the frequency range). So, what you need is a program that limits what you hear in a sound. I use SoundForge by Sonic Foundry. Its probably the best audio editing program you can get. Downside? Its a bit pricey (Good thing for you theres a demo).

quote:
also, does anyone know any other good music creating program?


If you want something full featured (as in, not JUST a sampler or a sequencer), I'd check out Reason by Propellerheard. (http://www.propellerheads.se/) It probably does the best software job of emulating the 909 and 808 than any other piece of software, I'm lucky enough to own a 909, I don't really have much use for it. Its MUCH superior to Fruity Loops, simply because Fruity Loops takes existing samples and manipulates them (although there are plenty of fun soft synths for it), Reason instead emulates the synths used to create them.

Also, what kind of hardware are you using? That may open up your choices some (and eliminate a few).
 #4 
Old 2002-10-26, 01:53
Rapz Prophet Rapz Prophet is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Samples and Programs

im using a 1.6ghz, 256mb ram, 40 gigs, all new hp pavilion..... if any of you can contact me to talk more about this please do: aim: Rapz Prophet
msn: jonx24@hotmail.com
 #5 
Old 2002-10-26, 03:43
djsam djsam is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Samples and Programs

When I meant hardware, I was reffering to your MIDI controller, synths, etc. But, it looks like you are doing it all software...
 #6 
Old 2002-10-27, 15:03
Rapz Prophet Rapz Prophet is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Samples and Programs

yea... all software... this is bad right? hehe
 #7 
Old 2002-10-27, 15:37
Renegade Renegade is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Samples and Programs

quote:
Originally posted by Rapz Prophet:
hey everyone, where can i find free good samples for hiphop or reggae that i can use?


My dads friend is a DJ and he always tells me the best Vinyl and downloadable stuff is Acapella - im not sure if its the correct spelling but it is supposed to be really good.

Peace Renegade,
 #8 
Old 2002-10-27, 17:18
djsam djsam is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Samples and Programs

Rapz, it CAN be bad. Just think of it like this: As far as music goes, software just mimics hardware. Some does a good job, some software does a bad job. But, like with hardware, its more up to the person who uses it.

I'll tell my story:

I had this really fucking shitty overdrive pedal that I was trying to sell for a few extra bucks at a guitar shop. When I played through it, it sounded like shit...but when the guy plugged it in and played, I didn't want to sell it anymore. (He sounded fucking great, I was just trying to do the wrong things with it).
 #9 
Old 2002-10-28, 01:49
Rapz Prophet Rapz Prophet is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Samples and Programs

kool... where can i download Acapella? anyone know any other software good for making beats?
 #10 
Old 2002-10-28, 23:06
Impulses Impulses is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Samples and Programs


Try ModPlug Tracker... www.modplug.com
It's free and very easy to use once you get the hang of it. It uses several different audio files for samples. I use it and have made several songs with it. You want some songs? I'm dieing to get some outside opinion on my work. Tell me if you want a song or 2. They are usually under a megabyte.



[This message has been edited by Impulses (edited 10-28-2002).]
 #11 
Old 2002-10-29, 00:44
Rapz Prophet Rapz Prophet is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Samples and Programs

of course, send me your best ones to my aol: domipapi7@aol.com

anyone know any other software?
 #12 
Old 2002-10-29, 09:23
quandary quandary is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Samples and Programs

cooledit

acid pro
 #13 
Old 2002-10-31, 00:54
Impulses Impulses is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Samples and Programs

Rapz, I would be more than happy to send you some music. I can put a couple of my songs as well as the program for listening to them in a zip file. It shouldn't be anymore than 3 mb... that fine?
 #14 
Old 2002-10-31, 01:59
Rapz Prophet Rapz Prophet is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Samples and Programs

yea its fine, but some samples would be kool too, thx
 #15 
Old 2002-11-01, 01:43
Impulses Impulses is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Samples and Programs

The songs come with easily accessed samples. So you will get all the samples I used making them in the file. I will send them shortly. All I ask for is an honest opinion on my work.
 #16 
Old 2002-11-02, 02:08
Rapz Prophet Rapz Prophet is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Samples and Programs

please send to DomiPapi7@aol.com thanks
 #17 
Old 2002-11-02, 04:11
Impulses Impulses is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Samples and Programs

My email is being a bitch from hell... I will send it as soon as its a possibility.
 #18 
Old 2002-11-04, 19:36
Impulses Impulses is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Samples and Programs

I sent it... Tell me if you got it. If you did, tell me what you think.
 #19 
Old 2002-11-06, 00:58
Rapz Prophet Rapz Prophet is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Samples and Programs

i didnt receive them... my email is DomiPapi7@aol.com
try again
 #20 
Old 2002-11-06, 01:14
Billowz Billowz is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Samples and Programs

If you want just all rap and sample and the like, and a real easy way to put them together, try Ejay (Search Google for Site).
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics