About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Entertainment > ... and Rock and Roll
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

... and Rock and Roll All things music and music related. Listening, Buying, Selling, Making, or Breaking. Recording, mixing, sequencing, and amplifying. What tech to use and how to use it to make music.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-10-18, 03:00
TheSell0ut TheSell0ut is offline
Regular
 
Default Making A Good Guitar Solo

I usually play the notes to the verse vocal track as a solo(a'l'a Smells Like Teen Spirit solo). But I was wondering how everyone else creates guitar solos(like when jamming) and if anyone has any tips.
 #2 
Old 2002-10-18, 03:24
djsam djsam is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Making A Good Guitar Solo

Well, depends on what kind of song you're playing. Mainly, the lead part of a song depends on the key the song is in, what chords are being played, etc.

My only advice really, is know your scales inside and out, everywhere on the fretboard. Thats the easiest and best way to do it. And make sure you're comfortable with it. I can play in harmonic minor, minor, major, or pentatonic minor real easily, it just flows, but when I play in some scales it just doesn't.

As for how I actually come up with stuff...hell if I know. When I'm playing say, a neo-classical thing, I'll start out with a planned run in mind...then I'll just mix it up. A straight run up A harmonic minor, then going back down in triplets has been done countless times (just as an example), but, going up it normally, the say, going down in five's while tapping the octaves of the first two on each string..not so common.

A good place to start, I'd say is with pentatonic scales. They're VERY easy to lear, and just as easy to play over them, since everyone uses them.
 #3 
Old 2002-10-18, 03:28
djsam djsam is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Making A Good Guitar Solo

One more thing I forgot. Something I like to do.

Take an existing part, I'm doing it with Yngwie Malmsteen right now, because thats the kinda thing I like to play. Learn to play it, then play it in different parts of the fretboard. The try using different picking patters, etc. Then, play it backwards. Sounds a little odd, but it really helps you to get better at playing over the scales.
 #4 
Old 2002-10-18, 04:06
insomniazz insomniazz is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Making A Good Guitar Solo

djsam's got some good tips for technique which is important and the scales certainly come in handy, but personally, i think that its more important to focus on your creativity then your technique, but a good solo has both. something that has helped me is jamming along to your favorite songs. eventually you will learn what notes work and what dont. try to focus on learning to hear the note in your head before you play it. learn octaves and learn to understand what note you are playing in relationship to the root of the chords your soloing over. music theory is hard to learn but if you really want to be good there is no way around it. buckle down and do it. a recommended book would be jazz improvisation and chord comping (cant remember the author) or for some excellent lessons check out www.fenderplayersclub.com.

peace.
 #5 
Old 2002-10-18, 11:49
Doug-44 Doug-44 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Making A Good Guitar Solo

quote:
Originally posted by TheSell0ut:
I usually play the notes to the verse vocal track as a solo(a'l'a Smells Like Teen Spirit solo). But I was wondering how everyone else creates guitar solos(like when jamming) and if anyone has any tips.


learn some blues scales, that will help in the creation of solos.
 #6 
Old 2002-10-18, 13:08
djsam djsam is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Making A Good Guitar Solo

quote:
learn some blues scales, that will help in the creation of solos.


It should be noted, that pentatonic scales are blues scales. In blues, you CAN add extra notes, but its not necessary. Or are you thinking of the modern blues players, who go into the mixolydian scales?
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics