About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Entertainment > ... and Rock and Roll
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

... and Rock and Roll All things music and music related. Listening, Buying, Selling, Making, or Breaking. Recording, mixing, sequencing, and amplifying. What tech to use and how to use it to make music.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-08-23, 01:40
Regular
 
Default I want to try something else

The music I listen to is the rock constantly being played on the radio but lately I am getting sick of mainstream music.

I want to try something else so I was wondering if you guysd any suggestions. I am willing to try a new genre also.
 #2 
Old 2002-08-23, 04:40
The_Scrub The_Scrub is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I want to try something else

GO HORRORCORE MUTHAFUCKA!!!! It's underground, people don't know who they are, and if they do, most of them hate it. My favorites are ICP, Twiztid, Esham, Natas, Krazy Klan, and House of Krazees. Try, www.horrorcore.com, I think they have some free downloads somewhere.
 #3 
Old 2002-08-23, 05:15
Garrison Garrison is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I want to try something else

I watched Esham get his ass kicked...
 #4 
Old 2002-08-23, 11:39
Ignotum Per Igotius Ignotum Per Igotius is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I want to try something else

Werd I understand your dilemma. Maybe try some psychobilly then . Get some Tiger Army , Nekromantix, The Meteors, Mad Sin, The Cramps.
 #5 
Old 2002-08-23, 11:55
Regular
 
The land of milk and honey
Default Re: I want to try something else

Yea! I'd love to watch esham get his ass kicked. Where did you see this? All those horrorcore rappers are full of shit, sometimes entertaining, but they all rely on that bad muthufucka, psycho image.
Heres a couple of bands you might want to give a whirl. King crimson, Brian eno, asian dub foundation, aceyalone and uhm, soul fly. Kind of an ecclectic mix I know.
 #6 
Old 2002-08-23, 21:47
Regular
 
Default Re: I want to try something else

What about techno bands? Or any good mix genere bands?
 #7 
Old 2002-08-23, 22:35
razorlines razorlines is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I want to try something else

Infected mushroom and lords of acid is good

and twizted and icp suck, and there not "underground"
 #8 
Old 2002-08-24, 00:59
LordJugz LordJugz is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I want to try something else

Check out D-12, thats a good rap band, the one band that turned me from hardcore metal to rap. Their cd Devils Night is great, none of the songs suck. Btw, Eminem is in the band, but dont let that scare you.
 #9 
Old 2002-08-24, 04:36
Township Rebellion Township Rebellion is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I want to try something else

quote:
Originally posted by Ignotum Per Igotius:
Nekromantix


lol

I saw one of their Video's on Much Music, called "Gargoyles over Copenhagen". it was fuckin gay! it's like Death/satanic punk. they all had this gay haircut that reminded me of 80's rap, with it shaved and permed and puffed up at the front. and the bass guitar was the large acoustic bass they usually use for jazz (you know, that huge one that requires a stand), only it was shaped like a coffin! and the song sucked ass! it was the same lame lyrics and riffs over and over and over... skip Nekromantix.
 #10 
Old 2002-08-24, 04:37
Township Rebellion Township Rebellion is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I want to try something else

quote:
Originally posted by great_sage=heaven:
soulfly.


hell yeah!
 #11 
Old 2002-08-24, 22:05
BaalBigor BaalBigor is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I want to try something else

try blind guardian,grave digger,death, hypocrisy,pantera,dismember,SOAD,RATM maybe slayer, deicide and cradle of filth if you like things like that
 #12 
Old 2002-08-24, 22:43
Fred Madison Fred Madison is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I want to try something else

Skinny Puppy
Front 242
 #13 
Old 2002-08-25, 00:27
runaway runaway is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I want to try something else

What's wrong with ICP and Twiztid? Sure, they arnt real horrorcore, nor are they underground, but they're still awesome!
Ice Cube is also a great musician. If you like rock, you should listen to Zug Izland. Marz is also great. Wolfpac, too.
As for Horrorcore music..Bedlam, Esham the Unholy, Natas, Myzery, Blaze Ya Dead Homie (Does he count?), Mastamind, TNT, Dr Gigglez, Halfbreed, Brotha Lynch Hung, and Dead Flowerz. THOSE, my friend, are TRUE horrorcore.
 #14 
Old 2002-08-25, 13:25
Regular
 
-
Default Re: I want to try something else

quote:
What about techno bands? Or any good mix genere bands?


felix da housecat
miss kittin & the hacker
Radioactive Man
japanese telecom
tosca
cylob
ritchi hawtin
cornelius
ministry
die krupps
 #15 
Old 2002-08-25, 14:06
Pikey_jay Pikey_jay is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I want to try something else

Dub, check out http://www.sunshine-live.de on monday and tuesday nights which by NY time is about 2 in the afternoon onwards, the other days and beforehand its too poppy.
Excellent thumping German techno.
 #16 
Old 2002-08-25, 19:59
quandary quandary is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I want to try something else

dub yes! i must say richie hawtin is a genius, you must buy dimension intrusion under the name of "fuse" on warp, it is beautiful.

Also get lfo - advance but thats more housy, and get surfing on sine waves by polygon window
 #17 
Old 2002-08-26, 22:47
Regular
 
ATL, ho!
Default Re: I want to try something else

Dub all of it...start with Black Uhuru. They are the best.
 #18 
Old 2002-08-27, 04:36
LordJugz LordJugz is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I want to try something else

quote:
Originally posted by BaalBigor:
try blind guardian


GREAT FUCKING BAND! AWSOME LIVE! Just remember, if you ever see them and there are 40-50,000 people there, dont stand in the front, you will most likly die.. experienced it personally in Germany this year. www.wacken.com check it out, almost all of those bands there were fucking awsome!
 #19 
Old 2002-08-27, 10:24
some_crazy_fool some_crazy_fool is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I want to try something else

yeah you guys are all talkin about like antifashion but incase u hadnt realised yet antifashion is fashion. this stuff is gnerally kewl regenerated bullshit. in my opinion what makes truly great music is originality and lyrics, try bob dylan, that may sound very mainstream. sure the music is. but hte meaning isnt.
 #20 
Old 2002-08-27, 19:24
Ignotum Per Igotius Ignotum Per Igotius is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I want to try something else

quote:
Originally posted by Township Rebellion:
lol

I saw one of their Video's on Much Music, called "Gargoyles over Copenhagen". it was fuckin gay! it's like Death/satanic punk. they all had this gay haircut that reminded me of 80's rap, with it shaved and permed and puffed up at the front. and the bass guitar was the large acoustic bass they usually use for jazz (you know, that huge one that requires a stand), only it was shaped like a coffin! and the song sucked ass! it was the same lame lyrics and riffs over and over and over... skip Nekromantix.



It's called psychobilly . I actually like the stand up bass shaped like a coffin . Its something different thats all .
 #21 
Old 2002-10-10, 11:48
FunctionalAddict FunctionalAddict is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I want to try something else

Radio fuckin sucks anyways, your better off without it. Heres a little list for ya...enjoy

Electronic-
Panacea - dark-step techno
Squarepusher - melodic dnb
Analog Pussy - crazy trance

Rock\Metal-
Ill nino - nu metal
Mindless Self Idulgence - acid/punk/metal/??
Tool - just buy it
Mr Bungle - fun

Chill Music-
Radoihead - best of the best
Portishead - trip-hop jazz
James - acoustic

Rap/hip-Hop
Rant - crazy jamaican rap
Bobby Digital - rza of the wu tang clan
Dan the Automator - again just get it (wanna buy a monkey)

The best way to discover new music is to buy shit youve never heard of based solely on the look of the cd
 #22 
Old 2002-10-10, 18:02
runaway runaway is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I want to try something else

No matter what kind of music you like, listen to Corporate Avenger ( http://www.taxesarestealing.com ). Its awesome stuff. Its metal-ish music, with a real meaning to it. Its filled with Anti-war, and anti-violence, anti-government and all those good things.

Tech N9ne:
Slacker http://www.realjuggahos.com/tech_n9ne-05-slacker-whoa.mp3

that song is great...

If you like rock... Mix Mob: http://www.mixmob.tv/mp3/socal_drunks.mp3


[This message has been edited by runaway (edited 10-10-2002).]

[This message has been edited by runaway (edited 10-10-2002).]
 #23 
Old 2002-10-10, 20:31
BaalBigor BaalBigor is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I want to try something else

I wish I went to wacken but I couldn't afford the trip but np you can also try Vampiria-an awsome new band from argentina or Dream Theater,Annihilator,Immortal of course Rammstein and don't forget Manu Chao and Bob Marley and the RHCP
 #24 
Old 2002-10-11, 16:10
Renegade Renegade is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I want to try something else

If i could recommend one band i would recommend The Smashing Pumpkins. If you download music material download this song its so special to me and its liked by alot of people.

Smashing Pumpkins - Tonight Tonight

Peace Renegade,

 #25 
Old 2002-10-12, 20:42
junglist junglist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I want to try something else

phish no explanation necessary. the show i directed this to is insanely funky, with some rare break outs and lots of improvised jammin. if you dont want the whole show check out the track called "Tube" and "Reba" for some good examples.

sound tribe sector nine this is "organica" a brand of DnB/Trance that is played by a band with mush improvisation and very eccletic beats. truely amazing to me, theyre just fucking bad ass. i never really liked trance kinda shit spun by a dj, but these guys have kept me up and dancing till 4 am easily. sweet.

Medeski, Martin, and Wood a unique brand of Jazz/Fusion that also relies heavily on improvisation. they often play with a DJ backing them with scratches and some beats, also a very unique and eccletic sound. i have a few shows where they are backed by Dan the Automator (mentioned above) that are just simply beautiful.



[This message has been edited by junglist (edited 10-12-2002).]
 #26 
Old 2002-10-13, 01:59
Regular
 
Behind the boat house
Default Re: I want to try something else

Non-mainstream bands you should hear:

Sleater Kinney: Riot girl post punk.

Pulp: Self loathing Brit rock. Sort of RadioHeady but with more melody.

Tricky: Dark hip hop with a little slow rapping, but trust me, it's not like P-Diddy crap.

The Eels: Quality indie rock.

Persephones Bees: Quality indie rock with a Russian twinge.

The Moldy Peaches: Anti-quality indie rock.

Los Fabulosos Cadilliacs: A lot of their songs are in Spanish, but even if you don't know Spanish it's worth listening to. Just find their cover of Strawberry Fields. It's great.

Medalia: Indie goth rock.

The Velvet Teen: Indie rock.

Sonic Youth: Creepy industrial cry rock.

For Stars: Mellow indie rock.

Pavement: Mellow indie rock.

Casket Creepers: Mellow goth rock.

Ithica: Indie rock.

Higher Ground: Grunge inspired. Lost of heavy guitar.

and a lot of others. But, those for starters.

Cheers,
Lost
 #27 
Old 2002-10-13, 04:06
Regular
 
Melbourne
Default Re: I want to try something else

Anything where the artist has written and performed the lyrics for the purposes of making a valid point besides, "I am a pathological tryhard whose sole purpose in life is to get rich by pitching my image to impressionable prepubescent kids."

I'm thinking mainly of hip-hop music when I say this, but I suppose it could equally apply to any music involving lyrics...

Basically what I'm tryin 2 say is sort out the 'musicians' from the 'entertainers'
 #28 
Old 2002-10-13, 07:39
silencer silencer is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I want to try something else

Hip hop?
Not real hip hop then, lol.
I suggest you get on Kazaa-lite and look up:

hip-hop:
Dilated Peoples
Jurassic 5
Blackalicious
Dan the Automator
Del the Funky Homosaipien
Latyrx
DJ Krush
DJ Shadow
DJ Vadim
QBert
Invisible Scratch Pickles
Beat Junkies

drum & bass:
Roni Size
Krust
Die
Dieselboy
Aphrodite
Total Science
Digital
Spirit
Ray Keith (Dark Soldier)
Goldie
AK1200
 #29 
Old 2002-10-13, 22:08
Lazy Bastard Lazy Bastard is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I want to try something else

These aren't really underground but if you've just been listening to mainstream rock stations you might not have heard them-

Jeff Buckley - one of the greatest voices the world has ever known
Marvyn Gaye - classic soul
The Streets - Brilliant lyrics
The Coral - Joyful rock stuff
Coldplay - Great Indie rock
Massive Attack - classic chillout dance
Faithless - Party Music
 #30 
Old 2002-10-14, 01:12
TheMouse TheMouse is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I want to try something else

Borknagar

Children of Bodom

Blind Guardian

Rhapsody

Kamelot

Vintersorg

Dimmu Borgir
 #31 
Old 2002-10-14, 04:59
Township Rebellion Township Rebellion is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I want to try something else

BaalBigor listed some great bands. RATM, System of a Down, and RHCP are fuckin sweet, they're some of the greatest musicians ever. ESPECIALLY RATM. get the first album.
 #32 
Old 2002-10-14, 07:04
Bandannas Bandannas is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I want to try something else

GET METALLICA "FUEL LIVE" FROM THE S&M ALBUM

Its old i no but the live ver rules
 #33 
Old 2002-10-16, 03:26
govinda govinda is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I want to try something else

silencer what do you see in D&B? My ex is always getting me to go to gigs and the only way I enjoy myself is when i'm tripping my head off... and then I'd probably dance to anything anyways.
Been to see Aphrodite and Roni Size
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics