About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Entertainment > ... and Rock and Roll
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

... and Rock and Roll All things music and music related. Listening, Buying, Selling, Making, or Breaking. Recording, mixing, sequencing, and amplifying. What tech to use and how to use it to make music.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-04-17, 08:28
Regular
 
Behind the boat house
Default I Was Just Wondering

How many of you guys are in a band or are "musical artists"?

Cheers,
Lost
 #2 
Old 2002-04-17, 12:08
Canyonero Canyonero is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I Was Just Wondering

i play guitar, sing and write songs. i've been in two bands who were legends (at least to our friends) but currently not in one.
 #3 
Old 2002-04-17, 20:25
Bongman Bongman is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I Was Just Wondering

I've been in a few bands which got pretty popular but I left them. I don't feel comfortable performing in front of people. I still get high and jam with my friends though. I'll play any instrument laying around, drums, guitar, keyboard, banjo, bass, and my favorite, my vocal chords.
 #4 
Old 2002-04-17, 23:46
jack's missing mind jack's missing mind is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I Was Just Wondering

I'm in a band right now. http://wasteofspace.mhatter.com or http://www.mp3.com/wosnj

Yeah. We just played our first show last month (and one last weekend) and we've got a bunch more coming up. We're also recording an EP sometime soon and doing a split with another local band called Mad Hatter.
 #5 
Old 2002-04-20, 00:49
DMT DMT is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I Was Just Wondering

yeah, i'm in a band. i'm a bassist for my band. BUT:
1. we need a drummer
2. we haven't decided a name nor do we have a website
3. things have been hard lately!

anyway, we have 2 guitarists and 1 bassist.
we all have dramatically different musical influences so we do not have one genre we perfom in.
 #6 
Old 2002-04-20, 04:55
syphon detonator syphon detonator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I Was Just Wondering

i dont have a band but i write lyrics and play some shitty keyboard. im ok at electronic music but its not teribly hard to do what i do with it.
 #7 
Old 2002-04-20, 05:47
SUPERKILLER1911 SUPERKILLER1911 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I Was Just Wondering

im in a band.Write lyrics.And play guitar.
 #8 
Old 2002-04-20, 07:49
viv37 viv37 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I Was Just Wondering

WAS in a rock band - played guitar- but quit when i realized that the only reason the others wanted me in the band was so i could basically just stand up there and look pretty for the crowd. i have my theories on this. any of you other female players have this prob before? how did u all deal? i do more writing now vs. composing. haven't picked up my guitar in a year or so. =0(
 #9 
Old 2002-05-01, 13:58
PUnKinpiE PUnKinpiE is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I Was Just Wondering

oooo lets start a band i am so punk lets start a band no lets finish it lets make a metal band lets make a metal band nooooo i hate metal lets be ska! lets be a ska band lets be a ska band! wooo!!!
 #10 
Old 2002-05-03, 21:22
Super Moderator
 
Sebastopol CA
Default Re: I Was Just Wondering

I've been in several over the years. I've written and recorded a fairly large body of music. BTW, I'm primarily a bassist. I started in 1979.

I pretty much stopped playing or even writing anything back in the last part of 1995. There were several contributing factors behind that, but the main one was the fact that my left hand was rendered 70% [or so] paralyzed after that wonderful operation I let Kaiser Doctors talk me into having.
I've regained some use it in the years since and I will continue to do so, but I know that I'll never have the dexterity to play like I used to.
This past X-Mas a friend started to bug me and bug me [and then bother me some more] trying to get me to write and/or record an X-mas song [before I stopped doing music, I had done a new one each year]. Finally I relented.
Since then I've written several more. I took my bass and 4-track recorded out of storage and now have them set up in my bedroom. I should have a new tape of material finished by June [I hope].

Then an idea hit me; one that would not only allow me reform the band, but in a configuration that, as far as I know, hasn't been used: have two bass players.

I know you probably are thinking that there's a good reason that no band has tried it: it would get too muddy with that much bass, especially if they're doing two different things.

The thing that would make it work in our case is my bass. Just before the operation I bought a Peavey Cyberbass, which is a MIDI capable bass. So we would have one bassist playing regular bass, and I would be using mine for synth parts, which wouldn't require dexterity I no longer have [plus we wouldn't need a keyboard player.

In the mean time I also set up at mp3.com. Actually, there are two separate band pages. One is the band, itself; and the other is more or less me with help from various musician friends and band members [even though I wrote over 90% of the material for both, and that the same musicians appear in both; there is still a difference, which is why I did two. Anyway, the full band is at:
The Mad Morticians.

The other one is at Sanmyer

Well, I've suffered for my music; now it's your turn....
 #11 
Old 2002-05-04, 14:24
johnny_3087 johnny_3087 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I Was Just Wondering

I'm in a band. I have been playing guitar for about 4 years now. My friend is the drummer. We are still searching for a bass. It's a punk genre of music, but we're not hardcore with the spiked hair and pladue clothes and stuff. We've got a couple of good songs. I write the lyrics too. We've been together for about a year now. Hoping to let people hear us this summer.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics