About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Entertainment > ... and Rock and Roll
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

... and Rock and Roll All things music and music related. Listening, Buying, Selling, Making, or Breaking. Recording, mixing, sequencing, and amplifying. What tech to use and how to use it to make music.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2001-06-05, 04:16
Regular
 
Behind the boat house
Default What Do You Think Of...?

Marilyn Manson.

I've was talking about Marilyn Manson earlier after seeing one of his videos on MuchMusic. I like his videos, usually, but most of his music is pure crap. I've seen him on interviews and he appears to be a very intelligent person. I also read his autobiography which was surprisingly well written.

When he first got famous as Marilyn Manson I thought he was pretty kick ass, and then he just got really stupid. Especially all those retarded sex change rumours, as if people had never seen fucking computer graphics before. But, now, I've been thinking.

He has a few good songs... sure. But, face it, his music isn't that great. However, Marilyn Manson - the PERSON - is a lot more interesting than Marilyn Manson - the MUSICIAN - if you go off the autobiography and the interviews. Also, you kind of have to give him credit for bringing Industrial mainstream. I mean, there were one or two before him, but none of them got famous like he did. He has become a fucking icon.

Just like you have to give credit for ANYONE whose been in the music business very long like Madonna or Aerosmith even Jon Bon Jovi. You have to give them some credit.

So, Marilyn Manson hasn't been around much longer than Eminem, which is a topic all in itself. The question is: Will he remain where he is standing as an icon?

I thought about this, and I came to the conclusion that he'll probably will be, but not as a musician.

Like the Marquis De Sade. After I read the biography of the Marquis De Sade I realize that he really wasn't such an evil guy. In fact, he was an incredibly normal guy. And just about all his vices would be accepted in certain communities in this day and age. Sorry, he just wasn't that freakish, and I think that's how Marilyn Manson is going to turn out.

He was already made a Satanic Priest, even though he's not a Satanist, and considering the big stink he's made the thought of him will probably linger a long time. May be even as long as the Marquis De Sade. Like a modern day version. And a hundred - two hundred years down the line, people will read his autobiography and be completely at home with everything he says. None of it will be shocking. None of it will be any big deal.

So, my question to you: is he here to stay or is he a passing fad?

Cheers,
Lost
 #2 
Old 2001-06-05, 14:55
Evil_Mastermind Evil_Mastermind is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What Do You Think Of...?

Unfortunately he's here to stay. If he could survive that whole 'glam rock' shit, then i dont think theres a whole lot that could topple him.

I also believe that he's a bullshit artist. As opposed to the illustrious elephant shit artist, he doesn't do things big enough to make it bad enough to be really good.

AND ANOTHER THING, I really don't think that someone can be as evil as he pretends to be and then stand there next to Carson Daly and and other Mtv allstars not throttle them.

AND ANOTHER THING, I still resent him for being an asshole to Trent. That's cold, mofo.

------------------
[This message has been edited by Captain Obvious (edited 5-15-01).]
 #3 
Old 2001-06-05, 15:41
Trippy_McGee Trippy_McGee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What Do You Think Of...?

I like Manson's music.

I like Manson's persona.

I don't like Manson's 13-year old kindergoth fans.

*plays some Cradle of Filth*
 #4 
Old 2001-06-05, 19:09
Spiffy McBang Spiffy McBang is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What Do You Think Of...?

I like a lot of Manson's older stuff. I like the song he did with the Sneaker Pimps, too.. but the guy responsible for bringing industrial music mainstream is Trent Reznor. That's it. Yeah, there's other bands (Tool and Stabbing Westward, for instance) that provided support, so to speak.. Manson is nothing without them. It's a damn shame he'll last longer in the public consciousness than any of them (except Trent)...
 #5 
Old 2001-06-06, 00:51
Z3m Z3m is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What Do You Think Of...?

Tool will last on the quality of their instrumentals, jsyksob.

One day I went to the Cow Palace to see the Machanical Animals tour. I smoked a joint and then slammed my thumb in a car door. It bled a lot.

Then I got the backstage pass and, after being frisked, went in to the show. He always puts on a good rock show. Can't claim differently.

I met him after the show. He may have been tired or not interested in me, but he wasn't at all the witty person I expected. He smelled like baby powder.

Marilyn Manson won't last for more than 50 years when the people who listen to him now begin to die.

He's clever in his use of Kabbalah in his writtings and some music. Ever look at some of their bass tabs? Neat stuff.

He never used LAShTAL as far as I know so I don't care.

Chicken.
 #6 
Old 2001-06-06, 01:59
Spiffy McBang Spiffy McBang is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What Do You Think Of...?

50 years is a pretty long time, especially for someone more into shock value than musical ability.

I hope you're right about Tool.
 #7 
Old 2001-06-06, 02:29
Regular
 
Behind the boat house
Default Re: What Do You Think Of...?

Many other bands made that genre of music come to the public eye, but he's really the major icon of it all. Which is sort of sad in a way... I definitely like Tool more. In fact, you can't even really compare Tool and Manson. Tool is so much better.

Being the icon doesn't neccesarily mean he's the best. Quality with mass appeal is practically an oxy-moron.

And baby goths get on my fucking nerves.

Cheers,
Lost

[This message has been edited by LostCause (edited 06-06-2001).]
 #8 
Old 2001-06-06, 09:35
White Witch White Witch is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What Do You Think Of...?

Do you think if Marylin Manson was a chick band they would dress up like guys:?
 #9 
Old 2001-06-06, 18:43
Regular
 
Behind the boat house
Default Re: What Do You Think Of...?

I thought they were a chick band.

J/K

Cheers,
Lost
 #10 
Old 2001-06-06, 22:01
pimp pimp is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What Do You Think Of...?

manson rules
 #11 
Old 2001-06-07, 04:06
Trippy_McGee Trippy_McGee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What Do You Think Of...?

And in turn, Trent Reznor would be nothing without Ministry, Skinny Puppy and of course, David Bowie.
 #12 
Old 2001-06-07, 18:18
Spiffy McBang Spiffy McBang is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What Do You Think Of...?

Fair. And none of them would be anything without the Beatles.

I hate that fucking Yellow Submarine song.
 #13 
Old 2001-06-15, 03:38
F.T.S F.T.S is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What Do You Think Of...?

I like manson, his new cd holywood is awsome, way better then mechanical animals, but i like his music way better than all the shocking stuff he does on stage, but whut i dont like about him is how he acts more like a soloist than a band i mean when he does that stuff on tv he's usually by himself or he's got one or 2 other pple with him, and i think his guitarist twiggy is pretty kool but the stuff he does on the guitar is not really all that hard to play i am not saying i could do it all but it takes like 5 min to learn a song. so i guess manson is OK but Tool's video's are way more shoking thatn any of mansons stuff i mean there new song Schism the song rules and the video will make you skwurm, espeacially when that thing is pulled out of that guys neck. pretty sick shit. i definantly dont like a perfect circle they suck.
 #14 
Old 2001-06-15, 07:51
Z3m Z3m is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What Do You Think Of...?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I just thought of something about you that's funny.
 #15 
Old 2001-06-17, 07:39
F.T.S F.T.S is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What Do You Think Of...?

as in?
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics