About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Entertainment > ... and Rock and Roll
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

... and Rock and Roll All things music and music related. Listening, Buying, Selling, Making, or Breaking. Recording, mixing, sequencing, and amplifying. What tech to use and how to use it to make music.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2001-05-02, 22:38
White Witch White Witch is offline
Regular
 
Default ROCK IS DEAD! Kill this forum

No no no.. Dont get me wrong. I love Rock. But MTV killed it. Rock is for the old people. Sure there are bands like Smashmouth and umm some other little kiddy garage bands. But bands like Pat Travers, Zepplin, Ozzy, Ingvay and every other great band from the 70s and 80s were the best bands ever and are now for the old. and even then it's usually guys that listen to them. Many of the older women do infact listen to NSYNC and Brittney Spears.

 #2 
Old 2001-05-02, 22:49
Mustard Mustard is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: ROCK IS DEAD! Kill this forum

*Sees NSYNC and Brittney Spears on page and shudders*

------------------
Do as I say, Not as I do.
Visit my BSS Deaths Kitchen www.fieldings43.freeserve.co.uk/DK.htm
 #3 
Old 2001-05-03, 00:19
Redrover Redrover is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: ROCK IS DEAD! Kill this forum

You know what. Mabe rock is dead. Or maybe it's just changed. Where rock when from rock'n roll Elvis style to 60's folk rock to 70's & 80's hevy metal and all, today we still have a group of guys getting 2 guitars, a bass and a drum kit like 3 eye blind, Live, Creed, U2, Aerosmith and etc.
 #4 
Old 2001-05-03, 06:03
White Witch White Witch is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: ROCK IS DEAD! Kill this forum

quote:
Originally posted by Redrover:
You know what. Mabe rock is dead. Or maybe it's just changed. Where rock when from rock'n roll Elvis style to 60's folk rock to 70's & 80's hevy metal and all, today we still have a group of guys getting 2 guitars, a bass and a drum kit like 3 eye blind, Live, Creed, U2, Aerosmith and etc.


Yah.. Except they suck.

Kidding.. 3rd eye blind is alright. Creed is cool. So is tool. AreoSmith and U2 are kind of playing to the hip crowd. i mean their music has gotten kind of boring.

But lets face it.. its weeded out. I really think MTV or someone should start a new Sat Channel with nothing but old time Rock. From 60-80s. have different hours of different rock formats. Like 60s hippy shit and 70s pothead metal rock. and 80s hair rock or new Wave or alternative. it was all good. This shit today is pretty fucking boring. I stare at MTV and wonder what the facination is with all this vanity shit. and MTV and their gay little commercials. The girl on the highwire spinning in front of the MTV building. Is that suppose to be artistic shit? everything rock bands protested against is now mainstream. Selling out to Corperate America. Allowing some ass holes in a 42nd floor office building somewhere in NYC or LA debating what would apeal to the kids next. instead of allowing the natual process of the bands music to take affect. to allow the kids decide who is cool and who isnt. Most kids have the same taste. thats why some bands are more popular then others. I know that commercialism played a roll even in the 70s.. but most band members faught witht he recording studios to allow them to play the music the way it was meant to be heard. now the recording studios find any willing kid with Dancing skills and a decent voice (Backed up by voice enhancers) to do a video. Make that money for me you whore. Britney Spears was whored at 14. she will be over the hill at 21 like all new talent. What happened to the days of fat drunken rocker guys in the 40s who improved with their age and the drugs they took. Those days are gone. Im supposed to feel old at 35? i should consider myself starting life. but in this day and age im a hasbeen.

 #5 
Old 2001-05-28, 02:24
Regular
 
Behind the boat house
Default Re: ROCK IS DEAD! Kill this forum

Rock isn't dead. It's just in a coma. Scientist plan on freezing it, until somebody comes up with something original.

Cheers,
Lost
 #6 
Old 2001-05-28, 08:01
White Witch White Witch is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: ROCK IS DEAD! Kill this forum

I hope so Lostcause.


As for U2 and Areosmith. Shit im 35 and they been around since i was 12. so dont count them in. I think U2 sold out but areosmith is still putting out 70s style rock. but its just Hip. thats all. Kids today like NSYNC or rap like Cisco or Garage trendy Punk like Green Day or Living End (Although i like Living End). these bands/ corperate crap wont be remembered 20 years from now. no one will be bragging about how great cisco was. if the do Shoot me! If MTV would get together with all the major cable providers and get them to carry "MTV1, MTV Rock, MTV Rap, MTV Country, MTV whatever then we as a nation can enjoy all the different styles of music 24/7. but MTV wants to catier to only the kiddy mall groups. Im Bored. I loved the 1980s because i could watch shit i liked 24/7 but not i cant even bear watching MTV. its shit.. shit.. fucking dirty smelly shit. yah!
 #7 
Old 2001-05-28, 08:25
Regular
 
Downey California
Default Re: ROCK IS DEAD! Kill this forum

Hip Hop beat up rock a while ago.
 #8 
Old 2001-05-28, 23:12
Regular
 
Behind the boat house
Default Re: ROCK IS DEAD! Kill this forum

I like Aerosmith. They kick ass. I like their new song: Jaded. Pretty cool video, too. Took me a while to realize that was Jackie from The 70's Show, she looks fucking hot in the video.

Cheers,
Lost
 #9 
Old 2001-05-29, 17:24
White Witch White Witch is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: ROCK IS DEAD! Kill this forum

You like Hip Hop lokil?
 #10 
Old 2001-05-31, 07:03
Regular
 
Downey California
Default Re: ROCK IS DEAD! Kill this forum

I used to when I used to smoke a lot more weed than I do now, but hip hop is it to most youth.
 #11 
Old 2001-05-31, 07:05
Regular
 
Downey California
Default Re: ROCK IS DEAD! Kill this forum

quote:
Originally posted by LostCause:
she looks fucking hot in the video.

Cheers,
Lost



lol, Lost you think a she is "fucking" hot?

 #12 
Old 2001-05-31, 21:08
Spiffy McBang Spiffy McBang is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: ROCK IS DEAD! Kill this forum

I added her to the ever-growing list of bisexual chicks I know some time ago.. don't you pay attention?
 #13 
Old 2001-06-01, 22:34
Regular
 
Behind the boat house
Default Re: ROCK IS DEAD! Kill this forum

Yea, she makes me horny. Wait. Spiffy, you have a list? Can I see it?

Cheers,
Lost

[This message has been edited by LostCause (edited 06-01-2001).]
 #14 
Old 2001-06-01, 22:57
Z3m Z3m is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: ROCK IS DEAD! Kill this forum

I don't like popular music. It all has lyrics and it's all written by morons.
 #15 
Old 2001-06-02, 01:13
Spiffy McBang Spiffy McBang is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: ROCK IS DEAD! Kill this forum

No.

Ok, so it's just a mental list.. but through high school and my ever-so-short time in college, what relatively few girls I became friends with nearly all seemed to be bi. The stories I hear, the experiences I never have..
 #16 
Old 2001-06-02, 01:57
Redrover Redrover is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: ROCK IS DEAD! Kill this forum

Spiffy, could you tell us were this high school is or at least back up your claim with photos and/or videos?

On a second note, cross out Aerosmith, they just suck. Ever since Aerosmiths' greatist hits, an exelent album by the way, they've just been making soft music crap. And i'll still support U2. Maybe 1997's "Pop" was pure crap but "All that you can't leave behind" is a great album.
 #17 
Old 2001-06-02, 11:25
Spiffy McBang Spiffy McBang is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: ROCK IS DEAD! Kill this forum

I could come up with some photos, but with respect to the privacy of those I know, I wouldn't post them.

Sweet Home High School, Amherst, NY (suburb of Buffalo). The entire area is extremely open-minded about it, and pretty much everything else. I've also met some from various places around the country via the internet (mostly roleplaying forums on AOL).

Keep in mind, it's not like I'm friends with a hundred chicks, and fifty are bi.. more like I'm friends with 20, and ten are bi. But it is how it is.
 #18 
Old 2001-06-02, 19:08
White Witch White Witch is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: ROCK IS DEAD! Kill this forum

U2 used to be great. but their new shit is just trendy shit. U2 when they started out in the late 70s was alternative in their own way. i dont know of any other band that sounded like them at that time. then a lot of copy cat bands came out trying to sound like U2. but U2 said once in an interview on VH1 that they didnt care about the older fans who wanted them to go back to their old style. that "U2 was going to do what U2 wanted to do". and im thinking they have the right to that but what an egotistical and insensitive thing to say to people who adored their music for years. After that i notice their music has turned to shit. maybe im being bias because of his comment. but they dont seem to have that pure innocence their music once had. I mean it had spirit. just listen to Boy album or any of their older shit like jashua tree.
 #19 
Old 2001-06-03, 22:40
Regular
 
Behind the boat house
Default Re: ROCK IS DEAD! Kill this forum

Just about all the girls at my high school were bi. A handful of them were straight and other handfull were just gay. But, most of all the girls I knew in high school were bi. But, may be that's just San Francisco for you.

Cheers,
Lost
 #20 
Old 2001-06-04, 06:49
Spiffy McBang Spiffy McBang is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: ROCK IS DEAD! Kill this forum

If the guys in my high school had known that, there'd barely have been any left. And you would've had an overload.
 #21 
Old 2001-06-05, 04:00
Regular
 
Behind the boat house
Default Re: ROCK IS DEAD! Kill this forum

Hmmm.

Cheers,
Lost
 #22 
Old 2001-06-06, 09:32
White Witch White Witch is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: ROCK IS DEAD! Kill this forum

quote:
Originally posted by LostCause:
Just about all the girls at my high school were bi. A handful of them were straight and other handfull were just gay. But, most of all the girls I knew in high school were bi. But, may be that's just San Francisco for you.

Cheers,
Lost




am i missing something here? Is this in response to my remark about U2. Was my remark a Generalization is some way. Are you trying to be funny with this post. Do you actually think San Francisco has more gays per capita then all other major American City? I heard Houston Texas did. i dont take these polls but i think san francisco only being known as "The Gay Capital" is fucking bullshit. It really pisses me off when people automatically think your GAY if you say you're from san francisco.

San Francisco is so much else. San Francisco is the oldest city on the west coast with rich history and the most liberal city in the world (well except maybe amsterdam).

im sorry. i had to vent!
 #23 
Old 2001-06-06, 15:30
Spiffy McBang Spiffy McBang is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: ROCK IS DEAD! Kill this forum

Couldn't she possibly be telling the truth?
 #24 
Old 2001-06-08, 02:37
Regular
 
Behind the boat house
Default Re: ROCK IS DEAD! Kill this forum

Sorry White Witch, but I grew up in San Francisco. Whether or not is the Gay Capital of the world means nothing to me. All I know is I went to elementary school in the Castro and there a lot of fucking fags there and in the rest of the city. Also, at my high school there were a lot of bisexual girls.

San Francisco was originally found in 1889 by James Lick. Before then it was a small village of shacks hanging around Telegraph Hill. It was mostly sand dunes. James Lick was a miser and invested all his money into the city. All of it.

I could be a fucking tour guid to San Francisco. So if I think something about San Francisco, whether you like it or not, it MY point and it's MY experience of living in San Francisco for 18 fucking years. I happen to know what I'm talking about.

Also, I really don't think gays mind people thinking it's the Gay Capial of The World - or so you put it - In fact, I think it makes them fucking glad. I'm queer myself!

And it wasn't a response to your U2 thing. In fact, I didn't even read that. U2 is making a lousy come back and I was responding to Spiffy because "the world doesn't revolve around you".

So, please remove the chip from your shoulder.

Cheers,
Lost
 #25 
Old 2001-06-14, 18:43
6sweetdreams9 6sweetdreams9 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: ROCK IS DEAD! Kill this forum

Okay, first off, MTV is shit now. That's because it isn't RTV-- Rock TV... It's just Music TV. Which means it can play whatever the hell these stupid ass pop groups put out. I don't really think you can call some of it music, but hey, whatever.

White Witch, I believe that someday, they will make a channel with only rock. And it will probably kick MTV's ass. In fact, MTV would probably turn into some kid's channel like Nickelodeon because it's mostly kids that watch it now. The commercials DO suck, but look at the audience that it is attracting. If I wanted a get-rich-quick scheme, it would be to make that new channel.
 #26 
Old 2001-06-15, 03:44
Spiffy McBang Spiffy McBang is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: ROCK IS DEAD! Kill this forum

There's a channel devoted to alternative, punk, etc., I think it's called MTVx.. not available most places, though.
 #27 
Old 2001-06-27, 02:53
GothicTrash GothicTrash is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: ROCK IS DEAD! Kill this forum

Does anyone still listen to the "oldies" like acdc, black sabbath ect. i know i do

------------------
����䣧����|�������H��VV죣����VꮥVVH����Р�H��VV죣���������駅��VV��렆����H������Ϡ���VV��
 #28 
Old 2001-06-28, 01:14
Regular
 
Behind the boat house
Default Re: ROCK IS DEAD! Kill this forum

I like a lot of oldies. Especially ACDC. Of course, my favourite musician of all time is Bob Dylan. Then, of course, The Doors. I like the Troggs, the Kinks, The Byrds, and a lot of other stuff.

Cheers,
Lost
 #29 
Old 2001-06-28, 15:50
Spiffy McBang Spiffy McBang is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: ROCK IS DEAD! Kill this forum

Jimi, Jimi, Jimi, Jimi, Jimi, Jimi, Jimi, dammit.

Pink Floyd is cool when I'm in the mood for it.
 #30 
Old 2001-06-30, 05:19
XavierTheGreat XavierTheGreat is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: ROCK IS DEAD! Kill this forum

ACDC is old but hey aren't dead(exept for bon scott ), and queen is also good

------------------
once your on the road of life... well sucks for you

tomorrow will be as far as 24 hours away or less then a second from our grasp

which came first, the Mac or the wheel?

if we shadows have offended,
think but this,
and all is mended that you have but slumber'd here
while these visions did appear
 #31 
Old 2001-07-03, 22:26
Slayer Slayer is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: ROCK IS DEAD! Kill this forum

acdc is cool. so are lot of the old bands,
like the doors pink floyd tjhe etc.
but the new rock bands are cool too, like incubus, linkin park, Creed, so on but i mean just... yeah
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics