About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Entertainment > ... and Rock and Roll
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

... and Rock and Roll All things music and music related. Listening, Buying, Selling, Making, or Breaking. Recording, mixing, sequencing, and amplifying. What tech to use and how to use it to make music.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2001-01-20, 00:12
Redrover Redrover is offline
Regular
 
Default Looking for replacements for Napster

I recently heard that Napster will start demanding money for their services and I was wondering if there are any other free programs that are as convenient and as easy to use as Napster.
 #2 
Old 2001-01-20, 16:04
SofaKingNO3 SofaKingNO3 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Looking for replacements for Napster

I recently got napster, the only reason I didn't get is earlier is because I heard that you couldn't get good (copyright) music on it. Well I got it and you can get pretty much any song in existance. Just today I got 11 songs !

That said I think napster is the best right now, but I could go belly up and there are other similar programs out there. Go to http://www.about.com and search for mp3. You will find links to gneutella and imesh, plus others.

------------------
Why is there a piramid on the back of a dollar ? what does that latin say ? Novus Ordo Seclorum
 #3 
Old 2001-02-16, 07:52
PureEvil PureEvil is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Looking for replacements for Napster

I thought the dollar said E Plurabus Enum or something, i always cross out the words and put Ich Liebe dich over them.
 #4 
Old 2001-02-23, 17:46
Moderator
 
The fine line between genius and madness
Default Re: Looking for replacements for Napster

Gnutilla
Aimster

I've heard that they are good, but havn't tried them myself.
 #5 
Old 2001-02-25, 21:33
slpwlkr333 slpwlkr333 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Looking for replacements for Napster

how bout that, my friends band, REDROVER is looking for a replacement bassist
 #6 
Old 2001-02-25, 21:45
Redrover Redrover is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Looking for replacements for Napster

I've been using a program called Audio Gnome (www.audiognome.com). It's pretty good by it doesn't show the diffrent downloads by ping time so it takes a few tries to find a fast download.
 #7 
Old 2001-03-09, 09:39
rangeviper rangeviper is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Looking for replacements for Napster

try CuteMX. it's way faster than napster even if you're using a dialup modem instead of cable or dsl. go to download.com or cnet to get it. or there's wrapster, gnutilla, aimster and a new one called bearclaw or bearpaw or something of the sort.

------------------
One thing that makes me believe in UFOs is, sometimes I lose stuff.
 #8 
Old 2001-03-10, 03:19
lostmind lostmind is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Looking for replacements for Napster

try forte agent.

it's a news thing; but if you got the connection; you can download movies and whatever as well as music; in any format.
 #9 
Old 2001-04-06, 10:47
KarmaSwank KarmaSwank is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Looking for replacements for Napster

Try this link :
http://www.afternapster.com/

 #10 
Old 2001-04-06, 22:59
Redrover Redrover is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Looking for replacements for Napster

I started using Audio Galaxy and It really rocks. You can get all the songs you need, it's pretty fast althought it's a bit to user-freindly. But if your a newbie at this whole Mp3 thing, Audiogalaxy is defenately the way to go.
 #11 
Old 2001-04-15, 18:51
Undercover Angel Undercover Angel is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Looking for replacements for Napster

Y'know, you can still get pretty much everything from napster. I was looking for the Radiohead song Creep, but it was blocked. Just spell it wrong. There were about 20 copies of "Creap" ^_^
 #12 
Old 2001-04-15, 22:06
Mustard Mustard is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Looking for replacements for Napster

we have like 2500 mp3's we used to use napter for about 1 year now it is gettin harder to search so we use napigateor and go onto the music cuity servers which don't block searches on copyrighted songs and have more usersper server

------------------
Do as I say, Not as I do.
 #13 
Old 2001-04-23, 11:24
MoRt MoRt is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Looking for replacements for Napster

I was gonna go on Napster, but I am a lazy bastard, and so 4 me it took 2 long 2 download it. I've been on Audiogalaxy 4 ages, and it's really good, and has shitloads of songs on. Download it from http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-1896420-101-2917309.html?tag=st.dl.1896420-100-2917309.dir.1896420-110-2917309, and it's own address is http://www.audiogalaxy.com/ Check it out.

---------------
bYe ByE bAbY...
---------------
 #14 
Old 2001-04-25, 03:49
Redrover Redrover is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Looking for replacements for Napster

I agree. Audio Galaxy is the best.
 #15 
Old 2001-05-08, 19:51
toy machine! toy machine! is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Looking for replacements for Napster

Whats the point Im on Napster and i can still download my songs(R-A-T-M mostly,i even have some Metallica)and ive never even herd of any fees yet or to come in the near future.

 #16 
Old 2001-05-08, 23:04
Mustard Mustard is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Looking for replacements for Napster

One word Morphus, from www.musiccity.com 70000 users loads of files No search blocking. Runs through standard FTP and HTML ports so it can't be blocked...

------------------
Do as I say, Not as I do.
Visit my BSS Deaths Kitchen www.fieldings43.freeserve.co.uk/DK.htm
 #17 
Old 2001-05-20, 22:02
zao9 zao9 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Looking for replacements for Napster

try this www.limewire.com
 #18 
Old 2001-05-20, 22:07
zao9 zao9 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Looking for replacements for Napster

don't use bearshare no matter what they have this software that watches u
 #19 
Old 2001-06-18, 04:08
Garrison Garrison is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Looking for replacements for Napster

Yeah, BearShare is spysoft bullshit. I'm using AudioGalaxy, but everyone knows damn well Napster was the best ever followed in a very close second by old Scour. Someone has to hex the Napster software to be able to access very large private servers that don't have a block list. Hackers, get moving!
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics