About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Entertainment > ... and Rock and Roll
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

... and Rock and Roll All things music and music related. Listening, Buying, Selling, Making, or Breaking. Recording, mixing, sequencing, and amplifying. What tech to use and how to use it to make music.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2000-12-12, 03:03
Plutos Plutos is offline
Regular
 
Default Truely who is a real Rock God???

Who truly rocks this earth now a day, past legends John Lennon, Jim Morrison, are a few that actually worked forthemselves without giving a shit of others, who today portrays these characteristics??? Personally, most of the stupid ass "rockers" play they'er fuckin music for radio play and fame, but who doesn't and is mainstream??? Michael Stipe, Thom York, Billy Corgan(people don't like that one i bet) and Matt Good are on my list, whose on Yours, Talk to me damnit!! And don't you bloody say Jonathan Davies from KoRn, Fred Durst From Limp Bizkit and bloody fuckin god not the ass Mr. ass himself the one and only fuckin annoying bad Ass Kid Rock
 #2 
Old 2000-12-12, 18:04
sckbch sckbch is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Truely who is a real Rock God???

Frank Black.
 #3 
Old 2000-12-12, 20:08
Eldritch Eldritch is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Truely who is a real Rock God???

Sascha K. of KMFDM.

Ripping the system since 1984 and still hasn't sold out, still hates M Tv, still plays music that's real, and still a powerful preacher of intellectual revolution. One world, one nation.
 #4 
Old 2000-12-23, 07:45
Templeton Templeton is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Truely who is a real Rock God???

Raine Maida, Our Lady Peace. God everyone overlooks this band. Raine isn't well know in the US or Europe but check out his creds, all of Canada loves him.
 #5 
Old 2000-12-23, 21:04
Spiffy McBang Spiffy McBang is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Truely who is a real Rock God???

Raine? I like OLP, but someone needs to write the lyrics for them.
 #6 
Old 2000-12-23, 22:08
Plutos Plutos is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Truely who is a real Rock God???

You must be a big OLP fan to say that, but the ironic thing is that OLP have said that many of the matthew good band songs sound like Radiohead, but look at their new disk,spiritual machines humm, In Repair seems to me as if its a lot like Radiohead. But i have to give them credit for finnaly evolving, like many good bands do, they are.
 #7 
Old 2000-12-24, 00:59
dr wu dr wu is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Truely who is a real Rock God???

Rock Gods..? There used to be...as you said Pluto,people like Lennon, Morrison, Hendrix, Joplin, Plant and Page, Daltrey and Townshend....
These kids now are wimps and the rest like Manson et al are poseurs. I like a lot of the new music but when I want real substance I dig deeper back.

dr wu
 #8 
Old 2000-12-24, 17:40
Templeton Templeton is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Truely who is a real Rock God???

I think that the great musicans of the 60s and 70s, were great because they were pioneers. They were doing things that no one had ever heard of before. Now, for the most part, you cant do anything, new or different that won't draw comparisions, and I'm not just refering to OLP. Pick any new release by any artist, and you can find something else it sounds like. I run sound for bands, and the one thing they all say is...How can u be original when evrything has been done before.
 #9 
Old 2000-12-25, 05:50
Plutos Plutos is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Truely who is a real Rock God???

So then would someone like Paul Olkenfold, the guy who created Acid Techno, or the Chemical brothers and Moby considered as people who is working into the future to start a new trend of works.
 #10 
Old 2000-12-25, 08:01
JumpinJackFlash JumpinJackFlash is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Truely who is a real Rock God???

I agree with everything Pluto and Dr. wu said except for Jim Morrison. He was not really what you would call musically talented. He only wrote the lyrics and the band wrote the music. A lot of their songs were just poetry. I dont really dig that style. I think Billy Corgan is underrated. In addition to being a great songwriter he is also a great guitarist. If you see some of this old stuff, he busts out the solos just like page and clapton. Townshend is the best songwriter ever. Lennon would probably be second best because Townshend created a totally different sound. He wrote Tommy, probably the best rock musical performance ever and the best rock anthems. His songs are layered and there are a lot of things in his songs that you dont hear at first. And many of his songs are just little bits of sound pieced together in such a way that makes them great to listen to. My opinion

Rock On

------------------
I hope i die before I get old -- Pete Townshend
 #11 
Old 2000-12-25, 09:26
Trippy_McGee Trippy_McGee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Truely who is a real Rock God???

quote:
Originally posted by Eldritch:
Sascha K. of KMFDM.



Dammit, that's what I was gonna say.

*blows his top*

 #12 
Old 2000-12-25, 21:30
slipgut slipgut is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Truely who is a real Rock God???

maynard
 #13 
Old 2000-12-26, 04:03
Spiffy McBang Spiffy McBang is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Truely who is a real Rock God???

Some might say that Maynard doesn't fit anymore, since A Perfect Circle, by his own admission, has more of a radio-friendly sound.. not as dark as Tool.

I, however, am not one of them.

Give Billy Corgan a banjo and put Maynard on vocals and you'd have a double platinum album in three weeks. The tragic thing would be how the tour would never happen after Maynard went and strangled Billy's whiny ass; however, all would be well when the sentence was suspended because Billy's crybaby shit could provoke anyone to homicide.
 #14 
Old 2000-12-28, 00:54
Dhaos Dhaos is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Truely who is a real Rock God???

Corgan, i agree.

Gavin Rossdale of Bush would have to be one of my picks. people called Bush a "nirvana rip off", Yet, their past 3 albums have had song after song after song of solid, good music, and i really dig that. Sully from Godsmack may be a rock god someday, i really like the way that their band sounds, and having both cds, i havnt found a song i dont like yet.
 #15 
Old 2000-12-28, 02:07
Gravehead Gravehead is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Truely who is a real Rock God???

I agree with most of the names mentioned above (I hate arguing over music, so I won't mention the ones I disagree with). Mostly I feel that a "rock god" is someone who participated in either the creation or definition of a genre. People like John Lennon, Page & Plant, Hendrix, Jim Morrison, James Jetfield, Kurt Cobain, and Chuck Berry (we have him to thank almost exclusively for rock and roll) all fit my idea of a rock god. KMFDM stands alone to me as a genre all its own, and yes, Sascha kicks ass (he would probably hate to be called a rock god). As for Corgan, well....I said I hate arguing about music.
 #16 
Old 2000-12-28, 06:04
Templeton Templeton is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Truely who is a real Rock God???

I don't like arguing about music either, because I like just about everything out there. Including all the above mentioned. But come on, Kurt Cobain? Ya give the guy a little herion and a shotgun and he becomes the voice of a generation?! The guy made no sense, had some real catchy songs though.
 #17 
Old 2000-12-28, 06:09
Spiffy McBang Spiffy McBang is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Truely who is a real Rock God???

Cobain made a lot more sense than some people think, although there are better songwriters (like Maynard). It is pretty sad that the shotgun is what put Nirvana into the ranks of the all-time greats instantly, but in a morbid way, maybe it's better they didn't get a chance to go south like Pearl Jam.
 #18 
Old 2000-12-28, 15:22
flamindildo69 flamindildo69 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Truely who is a real Rock God???

Hmmm rock gods, gotta be some one who brought something new a long.....Eddie Van Halen, Lennon, Jimmy Page, and I am gonna have to go out there and say Ted Nugent

------------------
--All men were created unequal, then Samuel Colt made them equals
 #19 
Old 2000-12-28, 19:33
PigVirus PigVirus is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Truely who is a real Rock God???

Ted Nugent, Ronny James Dio (Black Sabbath, Rainbow), Sammy Hagar (Montrose, Van Halen), and Lemmy Kilmister(Hawkwind and Motorhead).


 #20 
Old 2000-12-28, 23:28
Eldritch Eldritch is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Truely who is a real Rock God???

Trippy: Don't Blow Your Top!

Grave: Good call. KMFDM (along with a few others) is at the foundation of The Industrial Music Genre which picked up where New Wave left off in the mid 80's, I'd say by the above definitions That Sascha is a "Rock God or Pioneer" one hell of an artist any way you go about it.


~E

an unhealthily devoted KMFDM/MDFMK fan
 #21 
Old 2000-12-29, 07:54
Gravehead Gravehead is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Truely who is a real Rock God???

Like him or not (and I didn't for years), Cobain defined 90's rock and roll. He did things no one else did, and became famous for his "style", if not for his music. It took me years to appreciate his music, and I'm, glad now that he was around.
 #22 
Old 2000-12-30, 21:17
PhoenixFire PhoenixFire is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Truely who is a real Rock God???

Ill have to agree with the notion Sascha is one. You guys probably wont agree with this one but i do belive we are forgetting Tom Morello of RATM. Sure he may be a little over-rated but he has his own style independent of the mainstream rock of today.
 #23 
Old 2001-01-04, 01:59
Eldritch Eldritch is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Truely who is a real Rock God???

I have to agree that Nirvana and RATM were both ground breaking groups that have had a lasting effect on the music industry and the style of many later musicians has been influenced by them. I also think bothe groups turned rotten soil and the changes they both made a fould stains on the face of the musical Art Form, but that is another thread.


A) I hate The Seattle Sound (Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Etc.)

B) I HATEHATEHATE Rapcore (RATM [racist Bastards], Limp Biskit, etc.)
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics