About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Entertainment > ... and Rock and Roll
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

... and Rock and Roll All things music and music related. Listening, Buying, Selling, Making, or Breaking. Recording, mixing, sequencing, and amplifying. What tech to use and how to use it to make music.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2000-12-03, 23:07
iconoclast iconoclast is offline
Regular
 
Default punks not dead!

punks not dead damnit, and it wont ever die! whats your favorite punk band and why? what is "punk" to you? i wanna know......skank it, Fuckers!
 #2 
Old 2000-12-03, 23:50
Regular
 
Default Re: punks not dead!

no, i know that punk isn't dead. i am living proof, but YOU might be if you say skank it again, you DON'T skank to punk music. you skank to ska.


anyway,

1. misfits
2. Dropkick Murphy's
3. Anti Flag
4. Ramones
5. The buisness / the Bruisers

you can't pin down a term like "punk." it isn't just a type of music. it is a way of life. not taking other people's say for granted. fighting for those who cannot fight for themselves. being really fucking vicious at punk shows.

many more.

 #3 
Old 2000-12-04, 07:48
Spiffy McBang Spiffy McBang is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: punks not dead!

Pennywise, H2O, No Use For A Name, the DK Murphys, AFI, NOFX, 7 Seconds (some of it), the list is very long.
 #4 
Old 2000-12-04, 18:14
Regular
 
Default Re: punks not dead!

hell yeah spiffy. DKM, no use for a name, and 7 seconds are great!
 #5 
Old 2000-12-07, 01:25
iconoclast iconoclast is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: punks not dead!

since when is there a definite format to what you can and cannot do at a punk show?i can skank whenever i damn well please, thank you. and if you dont accept it, then thats your close-minded problem.other than that, i think your right on. anyway the best punk bands in my opinion are rancid, the exploited, anti-flag, the bouncing souls, black flag, and lots of old school british bands (buzzcocks, adverts, chron gen, anti-pasti, sex pistols)
 #6 
Old 2000-12-07, 21:29
Regular
 
Default Re: punks not dead!

i'm just straightening things out, lad.

close minded.

when does that have anything to do with skanking at a punk show? this isn't exactly a moral issue here.

by the same token, scince when is there a definate mold that the term "punk" fits.

it was just speculation. no need to get all mad.
 #7 
Old 2000-12-08, 04:19
iconoclast iconoclast is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: punks not dead!

sorry, hero......i might have jumped on you a bit. a just get pissed when it seems people are telling what i cant do, ESPECIALLY at a punk show. but i was harsh. musta been the chemicals...........anyway, fuck it,its all about unity, right?
 #8 
Old 2000-12-08, 04:27
iconoclast iconoclast is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: punks not dead!

i dont think there is one definite mold to being a punk. i was refering to what you thought was "punk" as an attitude.......a lifestyle. in my opinion you nailed it.
 #9 
Old 2000-12-09, 02:46
Regular
 
Default Re: punks not dead!

no problem.

Unity. as one, stand togeather!
 #10 
Old 2000-12-09, 23:55
Paul J Paul J is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: punks not dead!

Haha, op ivy quote - I love it. I listen to stuff life Good Riddance, Fury 66, Anti-Flag, Propagandhi, DKM, Dead Kennedys, D.I., Operation Ivy, both Subhumans, Sham, Out of Hand, Oi Polloi, Minor Threat, Guy Smiley, Dwarves, Descendents, Blitz, Bigwig, Adolescents, Agnostic Front, AFI, Bikini Kill, Cock Sparrer, DOA, DBS, etc etc etc. I like a lot of the pacifist/unity oriented political leftist bands that try to make a difference. It's good to see so many people agree with me that punk's not dead in light of how fasionable it is to argue to the contrary. In some ways I think modern punk is better than the 76-77 style stuff because a lot more of it then was about fashion and being an asshole. Anarchy was so poplular just because it would cause a lot of chaos and piss people off. People would die - Punk rock! People who think punk is dead aren't really looking for it. Lots of people are still running DIY labels, independently publishing fanzine, distributing, starting bands, writing, booking bands, and still generally giving a fuck. Even bands like Blink, Sum 41, Rancid, SR-71, Green Day, Bad Religion, Offspring, Pennywise, etc often serve as gateway bands to get people into the less commercial sutff. I started out listening to Nirvana and the Offspring, and it it wasn't for bands like that I wouldn't have gotten into the other bands I like more. I mean, I think the Ramones were total assholes who played mediocre music (and I'm sure I'll get shit for saying that), but if it wasn't for them, there wouldn't be a lot of the good punk bands that are around today. Uh, that's it
 #11 
Old 2000-12-10, 01:10
-scott- -scott- is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: punks not dead!

op. ivy, rancid, dkm, h2o is cool also any old school punk, some of that new ska/punk shit is cool, but not a lot of it...

Matt Freeman is the shit

laters
-scott-
 #12 
Old 2000-12-10, 04:24
Spiffy McBang Spiffy McBang is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: punks not dead!

Did someone say ska?

I'm not much into ska, actually.. but the one ska band I've been introduced to that I REALLY like is Catch 22. I know they're blowing up now, so people are hearing of them left and right.. they still deserve props. Good shit.
 #13 
Old 2000-12-28, 06:21
PhoenixFire PhoenixFire is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: punks not dead!

hey dont forget MxPx!
(and my band hehe..eventually i will have a site up.)
 #14 
Old 2000-12-30, 03:54
Trippy_McGee Trippy_McGee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: punks not dead!

No. Forget MxPx. Pleeeease forget MxPx. Their music sucks big dick. They're elitist scum bastards. And the singer tries to rip off Billy Joe.
 #15 
Old 2001-01-02, 05:07
Spiffy McBang Spiffy McBang is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: punks not dead!

I'm trying to figure out how MxPx is a Christian band and Creed isn't.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics