About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Entertainment > ... and Rock and Roll
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

... and Rock and Roll All things music and music related. Listening, Buying, Selling, Making, or Breaking. Recording, mixing, sequencing, and amplifying. What tech to use and how to use it to make music.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2000-09-21, 08:27
winki winki is offline
Regular
 
Default misfiteers gather round!

Hello you guys! I have a question for you
knowlegeable in the punk-gone-by trivia.
I have been listening back and forth on the way to school each day , to my sons misfits
tape and I would like to know what does "we are 138" mean? Does it refer to a police code
like 5150 or 87 , I tried looking up police codes but no luck initially with the 138 thing, so if you know could you share the info? please? by the way AC/DC KICKED ASS TUESDAY NIGHT IN SAN JOSE! And as time goes by I like AFI and Black Flag, fyi, uh well
anyway.....
 #2 
Old 2000-09-21, 16:11
cLoWn_uNiT cLoWn_uNiT is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: misfiteers gather round!

Taken from http://www.onethirtyeight.com

Based on George Lucas's 1971 science fiction film THX-1138, this song reflects the anonymity
attached to living with a number for a name in a 25th century police state.

On July 1, 1996 Bobby Steele e-mailed the following to the Misfits Bible:

"We used to have badges with a picture of a robot with 138 on his forehead. I wonder
if Jerry has one, or remembers it... He [Glenn] used to tell us that if someone asked
what it meant, we should just laugh, and in a mocking tone say "What? You don't
know?" and sound real snobby when you say it. Make them feel like every idiot but
YOU knows what it means."

Jerry Only told a similar story to a fan after the July 27, 1996 show:

"'138' is like people being treated as androids where you have a number instead of a
name, so it's like the human number would be a 138... We had buttons made once,
they were robots with '138' that looked like half human android kinda things, long before
your Terminator or stuff like that."

*Excerpt from The Misfits Book � 2000 Mark Kennedy

Gavin O'Brien, former lead singer of the Faction, emailed the following tidbit to evilive's misfits
page on June 10, 1998:

"Glenn told me that '138' was just something he and his friends thought up as kids. It
was a code or something, meaning the ability to kill without thinking twice about it. He

Glenn Danzig: "They didn't write it and they don't know what the fuck its about it.
It's about violence."


[This message has been edited by cLoWn_uNiT (edited 09-21-2000).]
 #3 
Old 2000-09-21, 22:22
winki winki is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: misfiteers gather round!

Dude, Thank You!!!! If I could get answers like that to half of the questions I've had
throughout life, I'd be a completely different person and glad of it! You rock!!
Nothing like a good answer to a question, nothing! Please tell Shane that the way I got so good with words was by having so many questions that I was always reading and that through reading and subsequently learning to
reach out to all different sorts of characters in the great quest for answers, that, I guess I got pretty good at it if I tried. I never wanted to do anything I wasn't sure that I'd be good at!
My son is gonna love this! Thanks very alot
 #4 
Old 2000-10-24, 22:44
Regular
 
Default Re: misfiteers gather round!

i can't believe i missed this thread!! AAARRRGGH!!!

i have 138 printed in big black letters on my backpack. there are kids at my school who are so dull as to ask: hey, is 138 like 420?

 #5 
Old 2000-10-25, 05:29
Spiffy McBang Spiffy McBang is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: misfiteers gather round!

There's only one 420. Heathens. There was a concert with Cypress Hill headlining in California, called "The Great Smoke-Out" or something like that.. and they started selling tickets at 4:20 on a Friday afternoon. That was pretty sweet. Uh.. now that I've totally taken this off the point, I'll go.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics