About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Entertainment > ... and Rock and Roll
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

... and Rock and Roll All things music and music related. Listening, Buying, Selling, Making, or Breaking. Recording, mixing, sequencing, and amplifying. What tech to use and how to use it to make music.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2001-04-04, 08:05
Moderator
 
The fine line between genius and madness
Default Music That Moves You

Does anyone here have a special song or few songs that are regarded as more than good music? I mean the kind of stuff that touches your soul, and can change your complete emotional state in the few minutes that it plays. Many people say that Stan by Eminem moves them becuse it tells a powerful story, but I mean stuff that can change you completely.
 #2 
Old 2001-04-04, 14:32
krazd krazd is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Music That Moves You

born slippy by underworld does it for me every time...and i dont even like techno...
the story behind it is the fist day i saw trainspoting and heard it in the movie and totaly loved the movie and when to a party at a mates place that night and his older bro just playeed that song over and over and i had one of the best nights of my life then i drove home and it was playing on the radio then when i got home as switched on the telly to ABC and rage was on the first song i saw was born slippy......it just brings back so many memorys.
i think stan is a rwally fucked up song i rather the origonal done by dido
 #3 
Old 2001-04-04, 16:11
sckbch sckbch is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Music That Moves You

do you love me by nick cave.
 #4 
Old 2001-04-04, 21:21
Bongman Bongman is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Music That Moves You

Whenever I listen to White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane I have acid flashbacks. That's what I get for listening to it for hours on end while tripping. It was really freaky the first time it happened.
 #5 
Old 2001-04-04, 21:51
Moderator
 
The fine line between genius and madness
Default Re: Music That Moves You

I can't listen to Cry In The Sun by Better Than Ezra without crying. *sniff* I don't want to talk about why.

------------------
Remember the golden rule:
Those with the gold make the rules.
 #6 
Old 2001-04-04, 22:09
Mustard Mustard is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Music That Moves You

William Orbit - Barber's adagio for strings does it for me, it just kicks especially when stoned.... But as we all know music is a personal thing

------------------
Do as I say, Not as I do.
 #7 
Old 2001-04-05, 01:59
Regular
 
-
Default Re: Music That Moves You

"psalm 69" by minestry is the song that turned me to metal and industrial when i was 14 i still get pain in my neck when i listen to it atari teenage riot's "delete yourself" was another sure favriote of the time but underworld's "rez" is the song that turned me to electro and techno its one of the best put together tunes ive heard. also goldie's "didgital"

------------------
dub.
 #8 
Old 2001-04-05, 02:49
FuCken-Idjiat FuCken-Idjiat is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Music That Moves You

piano man by billy joel always gives me a really sad, hopeless feeling...(long story)..
this song by the beatles called "within you without you" and a lot of other beatles songs i associate with my childhood because i grew up listening to them...the same goes for old U2 songs.
listening to the doors puts me into an ineffable state of mind...
OHH!! and how could I forget "no rain" by blind melon...that song does something to me everytime i hear it...
 #9 
Old 2001-04-05, 07:36
Z3m Z3m is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Music That Moves You

Cake and Sodomy by Marilyn Manson and the Spooky Kids
 #10 
Old 2001-04-05, 19:14
Spiffy McBang Spiffy McBang is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Music That Moves You

Too many. Punk gets me flying, trippy stuff gets me chillin.. last song I heard that always gets me thinking is "Hope" by The Descendants.
 #11 
Old 2001-04-06, 00:37
Redrover Redrover is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Music That Moves You

The End by the Doors. I listen to it on my walkman on the way home from school. It makes me feel better. It surly can't be healthy...

[This message has been edited by Redrover (edited 04-17-2001).]
 #12 
Old 2001-04-06, 10:31
KarmaSwank KarmaSwank is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Music That Moves You

Jupiter - Tori Amos



------------------
I Found The Secret To Life
I'm Okay When Everything's Not Okay
 #13 
Old 2001-04-07, 00:27
Ulysses Ulysses is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Music That Moves You

jesus this site used to be passable but these last two months have really taken the piss. dont any of you listen anything thats not cool? artists your friends dont listen to, or tunes that arent played day in, day out on the radio? music that doesnt souley rely on an image? archie shepp? tom waits? frank zappa? robert johnson? howlin wolf? bessie smith? ornette coleman? eric dolphy?
 #14 
Old 2001-04-07, 08:22
Spiffy McBang Spiffy McBang is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Music That Moves You

Just going through the last few posts, I don't recall hearing anything by Tori Amos or The Descendants on the radio in a long time.

Did ya ever consider that a lot of people like some of these bands because they're good?
 #15 
Old 2001-04-07, 16:27
nihilistic nihilistic is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Music That Moves You

nah man uylss is right, you fuckers would hand clap to the fucking triangle...

arhhahg man shit

i can imagine all of you at a fucking gig, you all would be up the front hand clapping your lame asses......

those bands arint good, man uylss knows improvisation , thats why he listens to jazz...

black metal elite ousts the the fallen and inversion of purity, reigns in misanthropy frequent in the raw and screming hatred, but tranquil in bliss, of the acoustic majesty,
and irreverent fury of nature.....

uniques energy's that the self can embrace...
through the atmosphere's of its music, un comprimised... #%%#%# you trendy %%#%$'s
 #16 
Old 2001-04-09, 22:11
FuCken-Idjiat FuCken-Idjiat is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Music That Moves You

i never said i listen to that music frequently...they're just songs that when heard, give me an indescribable feeling...
for music that really moves me EVERY time i listen is Godspeed (GYBE) (and this is a group i listen to a great deal)...
 #17 
Old 2001-04-10, 06:54
Z3m Z3m is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Music That Moves You

I like jazz. And knowing jazz, I can say it's virtually impossible to look to a single song that moves you. Jazz defies recording. And since the idea of this thread is to post songs...

Why do you idiots think that obscure is better? Maybe you never took into account that the reason your music is obscure and no one likes it is because it's crap.

This coming from a maker of obscure music, mind you.
 #18 
Old 2001-04-11, 16:10
VexInfection VexInfection is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Music That Moves You

Happiness is a warm gun by the Breeders, or Something in the way by Nirvana.
 #19 
Old 2001-04-15, 12:46
Cokeboy Cokeboy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Music That Moves You

"Ruiner" by Nine Inch Nails...
The song is about the kind of person who wants to fuck others up, and cant let anybody else be happy. I know a lot of those people...and I seem to be their favourite victim...It makes me flip everytime I hear it...
Yes I know its not a luvvy-duvvy song but I aint a luvvy-duvvy person!
 #20 
Old 2001-04-15, 15:07
winki winki is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Music That Moves You

It's been awhile Z3m, so I'll ask...is any of the music which was not released last year
available for public consumption anywhere on the web? Can I get a cassette mailed to me?

I have a cassette of some guys I used to know playing the songs they wrote when the band they had formed was actually together.

I hate the one guy now, he took apart my Z.
He helped me in alot of ways, but not by anything he ever did on purpose.

When I listen to the tape of his band though it is like it is a real, what you say?, uh, you know, commercial type thing, I guess just that it is recorded...as always easily impressed/amused...so what?

When I hear the beginning of L.A.Woman by the doors, I have to check myself! I've gotten pulled over 3x while that song was on,
I think my foot depresses the gas pedal automatically along with the progressively
lower chords in the very beginning. sorry for wasting your time if you don't know what part of the song I mean!

I will spare y'all the descriptives on where these take me, but they all put me somewhere else than where I was before listening to them. A few are simply because when I am upset my mind gets a little obsessive and wants something to repeat over and over and over to itself. So a memorable ryhme often does the trick and a few are that type.

Oh, and what about getting a song you can't stand stuck in your head for two or three days! I hate it when that happens! Just last week it was the goddamn theme to all in the family thanks to some comedy central commercial, other offenders are barryfuckincopacabana and lesse, nope! never mind I'm not gonna fall for that...see what I almost did! phwew! anyhow here's the list
of what comes to mind.

Eric Clapton-"I don't care if you never come home, I don't mind if you just -keep on rolling away ona great big sea, I don't love you and you don't love me"

Bell bottom blues too

the side of physical graffiti w/ in the light ten years gone and bron yaur

Silver blue and gold

Black, by pearl jam packs one utterly despairing broken heart to go-then it's over!

for some reason, there are a few Black Sabbath songs that always make me very happy.

N2deep-yeah, those guys always cheer me up

Yanni, say what you will....I'd have to care
it's been about 4yrs anyway

Placebo-mysweetprince-if someone wanted to kill me, that song and some superstrong oversweetened coffee when I was behind on my sleep would do the trick! Still, I love it...so I guess my self-esteem is ok even when the will to live is awol

I go on little kicks, or used to at least, sometimes listen to jazz, feel like a real grown up, clean the house....

Or country, imagine that I actually don't know how to fix my life and commiserate w/
the simpleton mentality often so melodically
expressed by country....

or classical, mostly only while I'm driving and just want to make the most of being nowhere but in motion...

I always feel so lucky when I come across a station playing blues and it always seems like I change the preset button to that station and then it is never playing blues when I hit it after that....

sometimes I just listen to the same cassette over and over again for a few weeks.

I used to listen to NBR alot and I still should seek it out, don't know why I dont?oh well....

Definitely "No Rain"
And "Sober"
Natalie Umbruglia "torn"


Oh and that dido song! now until I saw the video I did not appreciate it fully but,
right-on! I'm jealous that some people are so good at expressing whole long painful drawn out shit so artfully!

Oh and of course backin black the summer of being what was it????? 15? yeah...what to say?kissing guys you just met!knowing everything!learning the secret of good head!
swallowing cum and loving it.....yeah...ac/dc
I love those guys!

Strong persuader-

Life Without You- Stevie Ray Vaughn

I'm in a Lonely Place without You- Smithereens

That's what you get for loving me-PeterpaulMary

And my favorite band woh's songs, if I must get them stuck in my head, I prefer...Sublime

Ok ok, be careful what you ask for

It's nice to share..I'm gonna go download you guys'es picks now~

Oh yeah, to really change your frame of mind, nothing like having a kid! I listened to Pink Floyds The Wall while I was in labor, I had my son at home-I hadn't really
thought about actually having akid, just how much weight I'd gained and that fuckin A was this gonna hurt or what? After he was born that day, I forgot to turn on the radio for like, almost 2years!~ now that is "completely changed!"

I don't like that I like it, but that new song by damaged just gets me for some reason

incubus-whatever tommorw brings is pretty alright too... ok this time for sure I'm done

------------------
=/\_ _/\=
>~(*)(*)~<
>>>(>Y<)<<<
 #21 
Old 2001-04-20, 19:33
Suziegirl Suziegirl is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Music That Moves You

Sibelius Symphony no.5, esp last movt.
Bad Religion, 21st century digital boy
Ataris, Between you and me
Louis Armstrong, most of his stuff, but blueberry hill and Hello Dolly stand out..
Crowded House, Into temptation and 4 seasons in one day..
Georgia on my mind..

Lots of other stuff too, but those are off the top of my head and quite a few have relevance right now..
 #22 
Old 2001-04-20, 21:01
sckbch sckbch is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Music That Moves You

I'll have to add a few
Sparklehorse - spirit ditch
Placebo - burger queen
Tool - Eulogy
Marcy Playground - Sex and Candy
Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti, both cds
Deus - Hottel Lounge (be the death of me)
Zita Swoon - Our Daily Reminders
 #23 
Old 2001-04-23, 01:42
Riot Girl Riot Girl is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Music That Moves You

NIN- Hurt
Skrape- Waste
Silverchair- Abuse
Unwritten Law- Teenage Suicide
kittie- Trippin'
Mudvayne- L.D 50
Matchbox 20- If your gone (just the bit where he says 'you think i'm week, i think your wrong')
 #24 
Old 2001-04-23, 04:36
Regular
 
Default Re: Music That Moves You

Dead puppies- one of the funniest damned songs i have ever heard.

nice cave and the black seeds- red right hand.


bouncing sould- !OLE! (fun)

Bruce lee band- dont sit next to me

Catch 22- Keasbey nights

Mephiskapheles- doomsday

Mephiskapheles- saba

Pennywise- the bro hymn: tribute (moves me to tears. i love that song... but i can't keep from getting misty eyed when its playing)

Louis Armstrong- A kiss to build a dream on (my gf and mine's song. yeh i know, im a sentimental bastard )

Thelonious Monk- Blue Monk (one of the best jazz musicians of all time)


Carl Orff- Carmina Burana: O Fortuna


Duke ellington, Gene Kruppa, the rest of the greats.

and practically any misfits song EXCEPT crawling eye... that song sucks ass.
 #25 
Old 2001-05-14, 23:02
Kameron Kameron is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Music That Moves You

Cave Rocks man.
Cave fucking rocks.


------------------
~Kameron
Carpe Aptenodytes! (Seize the Penguins!)
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics