About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Entertainment > ... and Rock and Roll
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

... and Rock and Roll All things music and music related. Listening, Buying, Selling, Making, or Breaking. Recording, mixing, sequencing, and amplifying. What tech to use and how to use it to make music.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2001-02-17, 03:31
Spiffy McBang Spiffy McBang is offline
Regular
 
Default Who brings it live?

And who doesn't?
 #2 
Old 2001-02-28, 22:59
parasyte parasyte is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who brings it live?

WHO DOES (in my opinion)

BUSH

SMASHING PUMPKINS

CHILI PEPPERS

OFFSPRING

STP

WHO DOESNT (in my opinion)

PEARL JAM

U2

NIRVANA (I SAW THEM IN 92, THEY ACTED DEAD)

I LIKE ALL THESE BANDS ITS JUST THAT SOME SUCK ON STAGE
 #3 
Old 2001-03-01, 14:21
Spiffy McBang Spiffy McBang is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who brings it live?

The Offspring are good if you like your concerts to sound like the albums.. exactly like the albums.

The Pumpkins rock live.

Stabbing Westward, Garbage, Pennywise (actually most punk bands), they're all good.

The best concerts, though, are definitely pulled off by the Mighty Mighty Bosstones. I bought one album at a concert of theirs just because I had such a good time, and when I started listening to it, I realized why I had never gotten one before- I'm not a fan of their stuff. But live, they're amazing. To me, that's the mark of a truly great live band, to get people who wouldn't normally listen to their stuff to have a kickass time.

The one band I ever saw that I was really disappointed with was Fenix TX. Simply a lame performance. It was a festival concert and all, half-hour set, but it was exceptionally weak.
 #4 
Old 2001-03-02, 09:39
lostmind lostmind is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who brings it live?

the toolfest at sommerset wisconsin 1998.

 #5 
Old 2001-03-02, 15:48
sckbch sckbch is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who brings it live?

Radiohead, quadraphonic live at Manchester stadium.
 #6 
Old 2001-03-04, 04:01
Pachinko Pachinko is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who brings it live?

tool, primus, jason webley, rage, ramstien (even though they suck), a perfect circle (maynerd looks like he had to piss), fo0 fighters (they aslo go in the "suck" folder, but just because my girlfriends friend likes em), moby (he looks like my Media snd Society teacher, heheh...)and me. im very good live, dammit.
 #7 
Old 2001-03-04, 12:14
Trippy_McGee Trippy_McGee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who brings it live?

Rammstein live are sooo much better than in the studio. Even listening to live CDs is better.
 #8 
Old 2001-03-05, 14:54
parasyte parasyte is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who brings it live?

I saw bosstone at philly FEZ 98 and they definetely rocked.
 #9 
Old 2001-03-05, 19:06
Spiffy McBang Spiffy McBang is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who brings it live?

As an aside, what's the coolest thing you ever saw at a concert?

At the second Bosstones concert I went to (they were already my favorite live band, but this sealed it), about halfway through the set, some high school kid in a cheesy suit and tie got on stage. Dickey started talking to him.

Dickey: "What's your name?"
Kid: "Adam."
Dickey: "Adam, when you grabbed my hand just now, you know you almost pulled me into the crowd? I'm an old man! I fall down easily!"
Kid: (laughing) "Sorry man.."
Dickey: "When I went to concerts, we would never look up at the guy on stage and yell, 'Pull me up!' It just isn't punk, you know?"
Kid: "Oh, I'm not punk."
Dickey: "Oh! Well, I guess you got me beat there. But, Adam, you see, I feel the.. the need to classify you. So what should I call you?"
Kid: "Ska."
Dickey: "Ska! Alright, you're ska. Okay, ska, you want to meet the members of the band?"

So Dickey took him around and introduced him to everybody, and the crowd's getting a kick out of this. When he's done, Dickey says, "Alright, now you wanna do a stage dive? Let's get a drumroll going."

Then, off to the side of the stage, some kids started cheering really loud and making a ton of noise. The kid on stage looked over and started laughing.

Dickey: "What?"
Kid: "That's my math teacher!"
Dickey: "Your math teacher?! Damn! Hey, has she got a beer? Get her up here!"

So the kid's math teacher (fairly young, pretty good looking) gets up on stage with an almost full cup of beer.

Dickey: "You're the math teacher?"
Teacher: (*really* nasally voice) "Yep!"
Dickey: "Where were you when I was in school? Damn!"
Teacher: "I was listening to you when I was younger!"
Dickey: (stare) "Thanks.. okay, now, give Adam here that beer, will ya?"
Teacher: (gives the kid the beer, no hesitation)
Kid: (chugs the beer as the crowd goes insane)
Dickey: (laughing his ass off) "This is the coolest thing I have ever seen.. oh my god.."
Dickey: "Alright.. you guys can head offstage that way.." (The pair start to head off as the crowd cheers wildly again) "Make sure you give that kid an A now! We videotaped that! We got so much shit on you!"

When a guy who's been doing shows for 15 years says it's the coolest thing he's ever seen, you know you just witnessed something special.. fuckin awesome.
 #10 
Old 2001-03-08, 23:54
slpwlkr333 slpwlkr333 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who brings it live?

kicks ass live that i know from personal experience:
no use for a name
goldfinger
silverchair
kmfdm
mdfmk
type o negative
new found glory
deftones
molotov

sucks live ive seen:
rammstein
swinging utters
big wig
dynamite hack
chemlab
 #11 
Old 2001-04-11, 17:04
biot biot is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who brings it live?

underworld is the shit live. get there DVD "Everything Everything" if you have never seen them live and want to see how they bring it.


chemlab sucked live? hmm i would have guest they'd have a pretty intense show.

[This message has been edited by biot (edited 04-11-2001).]
 #12 
Old 2001-04-26, 23:31
Weedknot Weedknot is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who brings it live?

Some bands i think are good live:
Nirvana
Rammstein
Deftones (without a doubt)
System of a Down
Super Furry Animals
Pantera
At The Drive In
Guns N Roses
Copius Kiffage (my cousins band : there was only 15 people in the audience but they still managed to give one of the best live shows i've ever seen)

Some bands i think arent good live:
Korn (because Jonathon cant sing too good live)
Slipknot (not enough songs to choose from)
Papa Roach (just crappy)
The Seahorses (anyone remeber how bad they were live?)
Linkin Park (mostly on tape in background, shame)
Disturbed (same old show every time)

but thats just my opinion

 #13 
Old 2001-05-01, 02:37
Regular
 
-
Default Re: Who brings it live?

the first and best (rock) gig i ever went to was smahing pumkins on the melancollie tour then machine head and atari teenage riot
the best club gigs ive been to were aphex twin, subhead, green velvet and ritchie hawtin

------------------
dub.
 #14 
Old 2001-05-02, 18:20
MoRt MoRt is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who brings it live?

I cannot believe no-one's mentioned Marilyn Manson yet!!! The coolest thing I ever saw was when he picked this kid out of the audience, just picked him up and plonked him down on the stage, and then bent him over. Then he started to sing a song, and pretended to shag this kid up the ass. Then he picked him up again, and just threw him into the audience. That rocked.

Manson is fucking amazing live. He's calmed down a bit since the first world tour, but he still fucking rocks.

Also, Papa Roach are complete and utter pants, I mean sheeeeeeeeite. Deftones blow Linkin Park off the stage, and I don't usually listen to them, but Willie Nelson and The Eagles are awesome live, pure musical genius.

Incidentally, has anyone seen Guns 'N' Roses since they re-formed? (Chinese Democracy). Any good?

---------------
bYe ByE bAbY...
---------------
 #15 
Old 2001-05-20, 22:14
zao9 zao9 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who brings it live?

mudvayne rule onstage slipknot does too

incubus sucks on stage
powerman 5000 is also good on stage pod sucks on stage

------------------
you should learn to listen to the rantings of the crazy
 #16 
Old 2001-05-27, 16:38
PUnKinpiE PUnKinpiE is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who brings it live?

ah how tha fuck can anyone not say
DEFTONES
SOULFLY!!
TAPROOT
HED PE
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!
DISTURBED
PENNYWISE!!

AH they all fuking rawked so bad
max sang with corey taylor on jumpdafukup and that was amazinnnnnnnnnnnnnn
And if u get tha chance, see Amen, Casey Chaos fuking is god afta max, he evil smiled me in da mosh, and he just goez mad.
its not just the band playin, you have to have an entertainin front man for a guuuud live band, especially if they have a good smile.

too much mutha fukering also gets boring

*cle chaos*
 #17 
Old 2001-06-02, 00:59
White Witch White Witch is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who brings it live?

Im guessing it would be out of line and outdated to say the last concert i saw was rush in 1989.

lol.

My rebelous music has changed since the 70-80s.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics