About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Vices > Better Living Through Chemistry
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Better Living Through Chemistry Discussions of any and all sorts of mind-warping chemicals, pills, booze, mind machines, trippy stuff, making beer, current street prices, importing pharmaceuticals, smart drugs, nutrients, herbs, and altered states. Please try to keep your conversations "theoretical" in nature, since this is an open conference.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2003-01-30, 01:36
I suck I suck is offline
Regular
 
Default What's Making Me Sick???

Okay, first off i just want to say sorry for another ...DXM post... But it's not about dxm par se. It's about the other ingrediants in it.

Okay today i bought 2 250ml Buckley's DM -

Active Ingredients: Each teaspoonful (5 mL) contains: Active Ingredients: Each teaspoonful (5 mL) contains:
Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide 12.5 mg

Non-Medicinal Ingredients: Ammonium Carbonate, Camphor, Canada Balsam, Carrageenan, Glycerin, Menthol, Pine Needle Oil,* Sodium Cyclamate (as a sweetener), Tincture of Capsicum, and Water. Contains Sodium Butylparaben and Sodium Propylparaben as preservatives.

Today i drank a hole bottle (10$, Damn) hoping for a low third plateu, i got a high first. This was the worst tasting cough syrup EVER. It was an odd taste, like "extreme minty" i don't know. But nethertheless i puked my ass off about 20 minutes after drinking it.

Camphor
Camphor is a mild expectorant and respiratory stimulant. It also has mild anesthetic and antiseptic properties. Camphor helps to relieve chest congestion associated with colds and influenza (flu).
Menthol
Menthol decreases nasal congestion through local anesthetic action and stimulation of cold receptors. When inhaled, Menthol can relieve coughs and the sense of oppression in the chest. This ingredient is used to relieve symptoms of bronchitis, sinusitis, and nasal congestion.

Canada Balsam
This is a liquid oleoresin from Abies Balsamea (Pinaceae). This plant is found in Canada and Northern U.S. from Virginia to Minnesota. Balsams have been used as an expectorant for coughs and sore throats.

Pine Needle Oil
Pine Needle Oil is used as an expectorant for the treatment of coughs and chronic bronchitis.

Tincture of Capsicum
Capsicum is used as a counter-irritant to soothe conditions of the throat.

these are some of the herbal substitutes that they put in it.

1. Are any of these causing my puking 'incident' ???

2.how can i prevent it? Should i eat somthing before hand? or maybe drink more water or what?

3.i drank the bottle all at once, would it be easier on my stomach to take like one shot every 15 minutes? would it matter much?

I have the other bottle -625mg dxm- i don't want to waste it or my money. so please any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks.
 #2 
Old 2003-01-30, 01:40
AlCaTrAz AlCaTrAz is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What's Making Me Sick???

it may not be the materials... i sometimes feel nausus and feel like vomiting just by eating/drinking certain textures.... has this ever been the case for you?? if not then i have no idea.
 #3 
Old 2003-01-30, 01:45
I suck I suck is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What's Making Me Sick???

no, sorry.
 #4 
Old 2003-01-30, 01:48
norm_jar norm_jar is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What's Making Me Sick???

not related, but I noticed u live in Canada too "I suck"! That's awesome, which province do u live in?
 #5 
Old 2003-01-30, 01:58
I suck I suck is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What's Making Me Sick???

Edmonton Alberta
 #6 
Old 2003-01-30, 02:16
norm_jar norm_jar is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What's Making Me Sick???

lol, holy crap! I live in the North End, Castledowns. You live so close man. We should hook up sometimes.
 #7 
Old 2003-01-30, 02:29
hartattack2188 hartattack2188 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What's Making Me Sick???

theres a bunch of people here on this forum that live in canada.

as far as your throwing up, i dont know if they carry this in canada, but i reccommend Tussin Max Strength Cough (a generic brand) or Robitussin Max Strength Cough. they dont taste really bad and arent thick syrups. if you think the taste caused u to throw up, try holding your nose, drinking desired amount of syrup, drinking 1/2 glass or 1 glass of water, then releasing your nose. that way you will hardly taste the syrup no matter what syrup it is.

[This message has been edited by hartattack2188 (edited 01-30-2003).]
 #8 
Old 2003-01-30, 02:31
artking1239 artking1239 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What's Making Me Sick???

Oh, I dunno, could it possibly be the expectorant? Expectorants make you puke in large doses (i.e. guafenesin).
 #9 
Old 2003-01-30, 02:38
I suck I suck is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What's Making Me Sick???

quote:
lol, holy crap! I live in the North End, Castledowns. You live so close man. We should hook up sometimes.


Haha. Weird. I live actually live in st.albert, but close enough.


quote:
Oh, I dunno, could it possibly be the expectorant? Expectorants make you puke in large doses (i.e. guafenesin).


Damn but is there anything that i can use to stop the sickness?
 #10 
Old 2003-01-30, 02:40
hartattack2188 hartattack2188 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What's Making Me Sick???

quote:
Originally posted by I suck:
Damn but is there anything that i can use to stop the sickness?


you could return the unopened 2nd bottle and buy a brand without shit that will make u throw up.
 #11 
Old 2003-01-30, 04:03
I suck I suck is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What's Making Me Sick???

goddamnit! i spent 20$ on insta-puke...

but i thought since they werent active ingrediants i would be fine, ah oh well
 #12 
Old 2003-01-30, 06:14
Moderator
 
Facedown in the shag rug.
Default Re: What's Making Me Sick???

I'd say it was the camphor. Just the smell of camphor is rather intense. Imagine eating a jar of Vick's.

Get something cheap and simple. Go store-brand.
 #13 
Old 2003-01-30, 06:26
SomeEverydayNobody SomeEverydayNobody is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What's Making Me Sick???

Smoke a little weed before drinking. Then drink it. Then smoke a bit more weed. Also, you could take a small dose [25mg] of dimenhydrinate as well. This could realive most of the nausia. Also, you could try using ambasol. Put it all in your mouth, and numb everything. Then after you drink it, brush your teeth.

Thats what I can suggest.
 #14 
Old 2003-01-30, 06:28
SomeEverydayNobody SomeEverydayNobody is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What's Making Me Sick???

Oh, and if you water it down some [try grapefruit juice] and use abesol and just drink it fast, its really not too bad. Though Ive never tried this with buckleys!
 #15 
Old 2003-01-30, 08:36
Radical_Extreme Radical_Extreme is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What's Making Me Sick???

i live 500 km north of you guys
hahhaha
 #16 
Old 2003-01-30, 18:08
Chunkmiester Chunkmiester is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What's Making Me Sick???

I thought that canadian Buckley's doesn't have any DXM in it at all. As for the other stuff- don't worry about the herbal ingrediants, as far as i know, as long as you can hold those ones (that you stated) down, then they won't do you any damage.

Heres a quick list of details about the ingredients i reckonise:

Ammonium Carbonate is used as a binder or sometimes a thickener in herbal pills and the such- it shouldn't do you any damage because it's mainly used as it doesn't break down into anything nasty and it hardly reacts with anything.

Sodium Butylparaben appears to be used in face cream to preserve the colour- but i presume that it would be safe.

Carrageenan is normally used in milk shakes to thicken them up without changing the taste. So again- it most probably won't do you any harm.

Capsicum is a type of chilli, so it should be safe.

Sodium Cyclamate is one of the main ingredients in english non sugar sweeteners like silver spoon or sweet blue.


I don't know about the other stuff though.

[/Chunk]
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics