About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Vices > Better Living Through Chemistry
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Better Living Through Chemistry Discussions of any and all sorts of mind-warping chemicals, pills, booze, mind machines, trippy stuff, making beer, current street prices, importing pharmaceuticals, smart drugs, nutrients, herbs, and altered states. Please try to keep your conversations "theoretical" in nature, since this is an open conference.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2003-01-29, 12:27
gowerski gowerski is offline
Regular
 
Default 420?

I know I'm stupid for not knowing, but what does "420" mean? I've noticed about 5 people have 420 in their names and all of them hang out in the BLTC forum. So can someone shed some light on this for me?
 #2 
Old 2003-01-29, 13:07
Crispy311 Crispy311 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 420?

I don't know, but I never say it or say I do know what it means. However, I was always under the impression that it was the police code for possesion of marijuana or somethin' of that nature.
 #3 
Old 2003-01-29, 13:49
Super Moderator
 
Sebastopol CA
Default Re: 420?

Here's a [short] list of what 420 is not:

  • Police dispatch code for smoking pot: [420 is not police radio code for anything]

  • The number of active chemicals in marijuana.(There are approximately 315 active chemicals in marijuana - give or take a few, depending on the variety used.

  • April 20th is National Pot Smokers Day.
    Well, it is now; but that wasn't the origin

  • The date of the Columbine school shootings.
    This happened after the term was already in use.

  • 4:20 is tea time for pot-smokers in Holland.
    Tea time in Holland is at 5:30 pm, or is it 2:30 pm? Seems no one is quite sure when the wonderful people of Holland drink their tea.

    What 420 means:
    [Lifted from a different web site, because I'm too damn lazy at 5am ;-)]

    According to Steven Hager, editor of High Times, the term 420 originated at San Rafael High School, in 1971, among a group of about a dozen pot-smoking wiseacres who called themselves the Waldos, who are now pushing 50. The term was shorthand for the time of day the group would meet, at the campus statue of Louis Pasteur, to smoke pot. Intent on developing their own discreet language, they made 420 code for a time to get high, and its use spread among members of an entire generation.
  •  #4 
    Old 2003-01-29, 15:42
    rizzy rizzy is offline
    Regular
     
    Default Re: 420?

    4:20, like in the bong song!
    "lets puff kids til its 4:20
    this stuff aint cheap i need more money
    but when i buy that green i got the best they got
    cos i'm livin' la vida smoka!"
     #5 
    Old 2003-01-29, 18:24
    -=NAVEL=- -=NAVEL=- is offline
    Regular
     
    Default Re: 420?

    well.. Metaphysicist
    teatime in holland is normally somewhere around 12:00 or 20:00
    diner strictly at 6
    bedtime at 23:00
    blah blah blah
     #6 
    Old 2003-01-29, 18:29
    hartattack2188 hartattack2188 is offline
    Regular
     
    Default Re: 420?

    if someone has 420 in their nickname, i'd guess that they smoke pot!
     #7 
    Old 2003-01-29, 19:53
    Heatersax Heatersax is offline
    Regular
     
    Default Re: 420?

    420 is also international high time this guy named rob van damn used to work at this organization called ecw<extreme championchip wrestling> and he is very athletic and gets very high air and that is his little number thing
     #8 
    Old 2003-01-29, 23:13
    gowerski gowerski is offline
    Regular
     
    Default Re: 420?

    Thanks meta for that explanation.

    And thanks for the other people that helped.
     #9 
    Old 2003-01-29, 23:26
    bsquared bsquared is offline
    Regular
     
    Default Re: 420?

    I'm sure Meta is right. (He sounds like a smart guy you know) But what I heard is that 4:20 is the average time that stoners smoke up after school. Prolly just another urban legend, so I'll stick with Meta's answer.
     #10 
    Old 2003-01-29, 23:33
    Super Moderator
     
    Sebastopol CA
    Default Re: 420?

    That'd be the smart move

    I'm 100% certain that I'm right; I even saw a segment about that which had contacted several of those individuals.
     #11 
    Old 2003-01-30, 00:49
    6C 6C is offline
    Regular
     
    Default Re: 420?

    quote:
    Originally posted by Heatersax:
    420 is also international high time this guy named rob van damn used to work at this organization called ecw<extreme championchip wrestling> and he is very athletic and gets very high air and that is his little number thing


    ECW was great! Rob Van Dam is at WWF now and he cant do what he used to. I remember a scit where he is touching this plant and is like, 'Fonzy you got any papers man?' and he is like,'what do you mean?'
     #12 
    Old 2003-01-30, 01:35
    AlCaTrAz AlCaTrAz is offline
    Regular
     
    Default Re: 420?

    ah yes the age old question about 420... this can go on forever...
     #13 
    Old 2003-01-30, 02:41
    unstable247 unstable247 is offline
    Regular
     
    Default Re: 420?

    naw, it just ended. sorry.
     #14 
    Old 2003-01-30, 04:12
    DMDMHydra DMDMHydra is offline
    Regular
     
    Default Re: 420?

    I always seem to miss 420...I'm already high at that point! As soon as I get outta work its 'smoke em if you got em!' why wait? It's funny though, ironically today is the day that I actually made it right on the mark...
     #15 
    Old 2003-01-30, 05:21
    DuBzZz420 DuBzZz420 is offline
    Regular
     
    Default Re: 420?

    Here's a good question...

    How aware do you think the police are in your area during 4/20 (yes it's earth day as well)? Might be a good idea to state where your from if it's not already underneath your user name
     #16 
    Old 2003-01-30, 05:40
    Wake and Bake420 Wake and Bake420 is offline
    Regular
     
    Default Re: 420?

    yo rvd420 was the shit. He def. toked up mad shit before he wrestled.
     #17 
    Old 2003-01-30, 10:28
    leet0x leet0x is offline
    Regular
     
    Default Re: 420?

    4:20 is just the time of the day to get blazed as fuck (where it originated, who gives a fuck?) Oh, and now april 20th is the day to blaze. Btw, the kids that did the columbine probably did pick april 20th to shoot their school for it simbalizing pot.
     #18 
    Old 2003-01-30, 13:43
    adihash adihash is offline
    Regular
     
    Default Re: 420?

    meta's right 4.20 is when we are all meant to start smoking, weed smokers all over the world unite kinda thing I never knew it started in some high school.

    I reckon its pretty cool
     #19 
    Old 2003-02-01, 22:40
    XeNobiTe XeNobiTe is offline
    Regular
     
    Default Re: 420?

    quote:
    Originally posted by hartattack2188:
    if someone has 420 in their nickname, i'd guess that they smoke pot!


    No, it means they're idiots.
     #20 
    Old 2003-02-01, 23:29
    dopeman420 dopeman420 is offline
    Regular
     
    Default Re: 420?

    quote:
    No, it means they're idiots.


    mine certainly means nothing more than that i smoke, and i certainly don't consider myself an idiot. prove that the presence of '420' in a user name has anything to do with intelligence, or you, sir, may politely and quietly fuck off about my 420.
     #21 
    Old 2003-02-01, 23:53
    AzUrE BLuE AzUrE BLuE is offline
    Regular
     
    Default Re: 420?

    quote:
    Originally posted by leet0x:
    Btw, the kids that did the columbine probably did pick april 20th to shoot their school for it simbalizing pot.


    Man, last time I checked those asshole kids were Nazi's and isn't April 20th Hitlers birthday?
     #22 
    Old 2003-02-02, 00:47
    tested tested is offline
    Regular
     
    Default Re: 420?

    SHIT i missed 4:20...or well, ill blaze a joint late
     #23 
    Old 2003-02-06, 09:37
    4ot 4ot is offline
    Regular
     
    Default Re: 420?

    quote:
    Originally posted by Metaphysicist:
    Here's a [short] list of what 420 [b]is not:

  • Police dispatch code for smoking pot: [420 is not police radio code for anything]

  • The number of active chemicals in marijuana.(There are approximately 315 active chemicals in marijuana - give or take a few, depending on the variety used.

  • April 20th is National Pot Smokers Day.
    Well, it is now; but that wasn't the origin

  • The date of the Columbine school shootings.
    This happened after the term was already in use.

  • 4:20 is tea time for pot-smokers in Holland.
    Tea time in Holland is at 5:30 pm, or is it 2:30 pm? Seems no one is quite sure when the wonderful people of Holland drink their tea.

    What 420 means:
    [Lifted from a different web site, because I'm too damn lazy at 5am ;-)]

    According to Steven Hager, editor of High Times, the term 420 originated at San Rafael High School, in 1971, among a group of about a dozen pot-smoking wiseacres who called themselves the Waldos, who are now pushing 50. The term was shorthand for the time of day the group would meet, at the campus statue of Louis Pasteur, to smoke pot. Intent on developing their own discreet language, they made 420 code for a time to get high, and its use spread among members of an entire generation. [/B]


  • There's a couple that always get left out.
    *4/20 was the first earthday
    *4/20/69 was the day peoples park was,in berkeley, founded.

    I'm betting the kids in san rafael knew something about peoples park and/or earthday
     #24 
    Old 2003-02-06, 09:40
    leet0x leet0x is offline
    Regular
     
    Default Re: 420?

    They might have done it because of hitler, but I could really give a fuck less about those kids.
     #25 
    Old 2003-02-06, 20:40
    Bleed666 Bleed666 is offline
    Regular
     
    Default Re: 420?

    420 is pot smokin day, april 20th.... over here

    [This message has been edited by Bleed666 (edited 02-06-2003).]
     
    To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
     

    totse.com certificate signatures
     
     
    About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
    Hot Topics