About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Vices > Better Living Through Chemistry
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Better Living Through Chemistry Discussions of any and all sorts of mind-warping chemicals, pills, booze, mind machines, trippy stuff, making beer, current street prices, importing pharmaceuticals, smart drugs, nutrients, herbs, and altered states. Please try to keep your conversations "theoretical" in nature, since this is an open conference.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-12-08, 04:48
KindBuddy KindBuddy is offline
Regular
 
Default Broken Glass Piece. Help!

I dropped my $50 inside out glass pipe today and it broke right in half. I'm so fucking pissed. Anyway to fix it?
 #2 
Old 2002-12-08, 05:37
KindBuddy KindBuddy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Broken Glass Piece. Help!

Well, I bought some extra strength krazy glue, and I think it just might work. I hope I don't get sick from any glue residue (not to mention, I don't even know if that stuff is flamable). It sealed nicely.

 #3 
Old 2002-12-08, 06:31
hartattack2188 hartattack2188 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Broken Glass Piece. Help!

sounds like a good idea. i don't think that flammability would matter too much unless it is glued by where you put the flame. if there are no warnings on the tube or bottle, i doubt that it is flammable.
 #4 
Old 2002-12-08, 06:50
The pharmacist The pharmacist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Broken Glass Piece. Help!

Since the piece is already broken, use a torch, such as propane or acetylene, and try to fuse the piece back together a friend of mine has fixed several pieces that way. They work fine, but are more fragile than a new piece as common sense dictates. I think the glue is a bad idea, because even light heat from the glass warming the glue will most likely give off fumes.
 #5 
Old 2002-12-08, 13:46
grungymagician grungymagician is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Broken Glass Piece. Help!

I had a real nice thick glass bubbler. I broke it like a dumbass one night. I was trying to set it down on a table, but the edge of the table had a big curve, so it fell and hit the ground, shattered in about 5 big pieces, with handful of smaller ones.

What sucked is I lost a bowl of opium that was in there, but my friends evuntally found it. What sucked more is we planned to get really high that night but a broken pipe is no good.

I'm going to super glue it together soon, I've been to lazy and have been just using homeade pipes/bongs lately.
 #6 
Old 2002-12-08, 16:27
KindBuddy KindBuddy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Broken Glass Piece. Help!

So, should I not smoke out of it anymore? I don't want to get any glue fumes. I think it might be alright. I used just a tiny bit of this super strength Krazy Glue that it made specifically for surfaces like glass, metal, and plastic. It had a precision applicator for easy, precise glueing. I think it should be fine, but I'm not sure. I definitely don't want any fumes from this stuff or have this thing blow up in flames on me. What should I do?

BTW, I went to the headshop i bought this pipe at a week ago and showed the lady that works there. She felt really bad since it was a $50 pipe that broke on me in a week, but there' not much she can do. She gave me a $10 gift certificate for my next pipe. Pretty cool.
 #7 
Old 2002-12-08, 16:32
hartattack2188 hartattack2188 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Broken Glass Piece. Help!

quote:
Originally posted by KindBuddy:
I definitely don't want any fumes from this stuff or have this thing blow up in flames on me.


like i said, check the bottle/tube of crazy glue for warnings about it being flammable. i think that companies are required to label products flammable.
 #8 
Old 2002-12-08, 16:37
KindBuddy KindBuddy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Broken Glass Piece. Help!

No Flamable warnings, but there is a warning that says: Avoid prolonged breathing of vapors. Use adequate ventilation. Do not put bonded items in oven or on the stove.

That makes me a little bit nervous.
 #9 
Old 2002-12-08, 17:43
hartattack2188 hartattack2188 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Broken Glass Piece. Help!

quote:
Originally posted by KindBuddy:
No Flamable warnings, but there is a warning that says: Avoid prolonged breathing of vapors. Use adequate ventilation. Do not put bonded items in oven or on the stove.

That makes me a little bit nervous.



yeah that would concern me also. as long as you aren't gluing near the part you light then i dont think you should worry.
 #10 
Old 2002-12-08, 17:52
KindBuddy KindBuddy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Broken Glass Piece. Help!

It's about a 5 inch pipe. The break is about an inch and a half from the bowl.

I just put a flame against it and held it there for a minute or so. Nothing happened, and I don't think anything will go wrong when I smoke out of it.

Still, a huge bummer. It was the coolest pipe any of my freinds had ever seen. Inside out, all the color on the inside with just clear glass on the outside. It is a frit piece and it looks like 1000 different colors, all seperated perfectly. The glue worked pretty good though. Hardly noticeable, unless you run your finger across the part that was broken.
 #11 
Old 2002-12-08, 18:11
jtoastercamp jtoastercamp is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Broken Glass Piece. Help!

hey if you are good with a torch and have some tools, you should get a clear glass rod and, with the two peaces of the pipe held together heat to an nice orange then heat and wrap the glass rod around the break. not as nice to look at but much stronger and no super glue.
 #12 
Old 2002-12-08, 18:49
CRaZyAmishMaN CRaZyAmishMaN is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Broken Glass Piece. Help!

quote:
hey if you are good with a torch and have some tools, you should get a clear glass rod and, with the two peaces of the pipe held together heat to an nice orange then heat and wrap the glass rod around the break

if you sucked with a torch, had no tools, and some glass rod you could fix the piece with a small area that looked different.

i would NOT use glue, of any kind, on a glass piece. all the krazy glue i've worked with will melt/burn away when it is heated enough. not only that, but i'm sure that heated glue fumes are not too healthy.

you can probably buy glue remover at a local hobby/craft shop. [i can, at least.]

[but hey, it's your life. i feel like i can't give my opinions anymore... or can i?]
 #13 
Old 2002-12-08, 19:46
Mallute Mallute is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Broken Glass Piece. Help!

I agree with Jtoast and Pharmacist, That glue is going to get heated up from conduction the best thing to do is to mend it with a torch, or do like Jtoast said.
 #14 
Old 2002-12-08, 20:41
KindBuddy KindBuddy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Broken Glass Piece. Help!

Damnit, too late now. I'm just gonna take my chances. If it means anything, I can't even smell any fumes, even when I light the inside of the bowl (no weed in there). I think I'll be fine.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics