About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Vices > Better Living Through Chemistry
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Better Living Through Chemistry Discussions of any and all sorts of mind-warping chemicals, pills, booze, mind machines, trippy stuff, making beer, current street prices, importing pharmaceuticals, smart drugs, nutrients, herbs, and altered states. Please try to keep your conversations "theoretical" in nature, since this is an open conference.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-12-05, 12:23
r0k r0k is offline
Regular
 
Default anorexia and weed

anyone think weed would help with anorexia i mean cause anorexia is a mental disease and when i get munchies it more mental than physical i dont get hunger pains i just think about food it will be the only thing on my mind so maybe weed would help anorexic people to eat
 #2 
Old 2002-12-05, 12:59
Black_Chi Black_Chi is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: anorexia and weed

They'd still throw it up... The part of anorexia that kills isn't the fact that you don't have any food in your stomach, its that your throwing up so much. Human bile from throwing up has a lot of nasty chemicals in it that aren't ment to be absorbed in the mucus tissue of the throat, mouth, nose, what have you. So in a word, "No".

It may be able to help with the mental side of things to some extent but its not going to stop stick women from throwing up what they just ate.
 #3 
Old 2002-12-05, 13:01
Black_Chi Black_Chi is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: anorexia and weed

By mental side of things I mean whats bringing them down such as stress, the image of their body, ect.
 #4 
Old 2002-12-05, 13:12
Doug-44 Doug-44 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: anorexia and weed

Halep me
 #5 
Old 2002-12-05, 13:25
r0k r0k is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: anorexia and weed

thats bulimia blach chi
 #6 
Old 2002-12-05, 13:53
Black_Chi Black_Chi is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: anorexia and weed

well shit...
 #7 
Old 2002-12-05, 14:23
lpgeni lpgeni is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: anorexia and weed

It wouldnt make anorexian people wanna eat food partly cuz it isnt a lack of hunger it is low self-esteem reflected in the declination of eating, an anorexian would more likely just feel uncomfortable while stoned.
 #8 
Old 2002-12-05, 20:57
FortyOunces FortyOunces is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: anorexia and weed

they do or atleast they have prescribed marinol for anorexia.
 #9 
Old 2002-12-05, 21:01
CRaZyAmishMaN CRaZyAmishMaN is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: anorexia and weed

has it been prescribed for anorexia?

i've heard of it prescribed for chemo patients who feel unconfortable eating after therapy.

a lot of the time i don't get the munchies...

and i think an anorexic person would be able to "hold back" from eating because they have to deal with that every day.
 #10 
Old 2002-12-05, 21:33
AvatarofPower AvatarofPower is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: anorexia and weed

Yeah, Cannabis has been perscribed for Anorexic folks where it can legally be.
 #11 
Old 2002-12-06, 02:25
hartattack2188 hartattack2188 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: anorexia and weed

quote:
Originally posted by Black_Chi:
They'd still throw it up... The part of anorexia that kills isn't the fact that you don't have any food in your stomach, its that your throwing up so much. Human bile from throwing up has a lot of nasty chemicals in it that aren't ment to be absorbed in the mucus tissue of the throat, mouth, nose, what have you. So in a word, "No".

It may be able to help with the mental side of things to some extent but its not going to stop stick women from throwing up what they just ate.



Anorexia is when people don't eat.
Bulemia is when people eat and then throw it up.
I think that you were referring to bulemia in this post.
 #12 
Old 2002-12-06, 02:30
pink spid3r pink spid3r is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: anorexia and weed

It is a disease where you think that you are too fat, therefore leading to not eating. Even if someone who is aneorexic. They would still not eat even if they were high on cannabis and extremely hungry.
 #13 
Old 2002-12-07, 01:16
The pharmacist The pharmacist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: anorexia and weed

Marinol is now a schedule three drug, and doctors have license to perscribe it for whatever afflictions they feel it might help.
Just a bit of friendly advice from your totse pharmacist
 #14 
Old 2002-12-07, 01:32
SomeEverydayNobody SomeEverydayNobody is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: anorexia and weed

If I'm right, marinol/marijuana has been prescribed to AID's patients to increase apitite, so yes it could work for those who have physical trouble eating.

However I think that the mental state of an anorexic is that they should not eat at any costs. And will go days and days without eating. I dont think they would eat even with the munchies, seeing as how they can go without eating even when they're in a lot of pain.

Though it MAY help some, but those who are so bad that they will go for LONG periodes of time without eating, it will not help.
 #15 
Old 2002-12-07, 01:46
grungymagician grungymagician is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: anorexia and weed

Marijuana has many possible medical uses. Positive effects are claimed for ailments such as cancer, aids, and glaucoma. Aids can cause a loss of appetite known as the "wasting syndrome" which can lead to drastic weight loss and weakness. Chemotherapy used in the treatment of cancer causes nausea resulting in an inability to keep down food. Marijuana's healing nature for these two illnesses is a result of it's ability to increase a person's appetite as well as releiving nausea allowing a patient to regain weight. Marijuana reportedly helps glaucoma patients by reducing occular pressure which can cause damage to the eye.
http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_medical.shtml

I got that information from the first paragraph from that link.
 #16 
Old 2002-12-07, 01:49
CRaZyAmishMaN CRaZyAmishMaN is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: anorexia and weed

quote:
However I think that the mental state of an anorexic is that they should not eat at any costs. And will go days and days without eating. I dont think they would eat even with the munchies, seeing as how they can go without eating even when they're in a lot of pain.

i agree.
hell, being high might make them more paranoid about their weight.

i think, if anything, they'd find the hunger uncomfortable and not do anything.

[i get the munchies after i start eating...
i don't really get hungry... it's the fact that food feels so funny in your mouth]
 #17 
Old 2002-12-07, 14:57
grungymagician grungymagician is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: anorexia and weed

I cannot comprehend how anerexic people can have that much mental power to ignore their extreme hunger.

I don't get hungry off of being high, but after smoking the first few times, I've realized how good the food will taste so then I want to eat.

But I try to avoid eating because to me it kills the high.
 #18 
Old 2002-12-07, 23:55
Nyk Nyk is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: anorexia and weed

Eating after smoking kills my buzz too. I just eat before I smoke. Problem solved.
 #19 
Old 2002-12-08, 00:24
lpgeni lpgeni is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: anorexia and weed

quote:
Originally posted by grungymagician:
I cannot comprehend how anerexic people can have that much mental power to ignore their extreme hunger.

I don't get hungry off of being high, but after smoking the first few times, I've realized how good the food will taste so then I want to eat.

But I try to avoid eating because to me it kills the high.


For the anorexian it is the pain/low self-esteem/depression that makes him/her not eat. Imagine(dont do this) to cut yourself and with a knife in the arm and then try to eat something- it wouldnt work. Thats how anorexian people feels about eating, its not actually not the "i am too fat" there is the reason like many think and a person in severe pain etc. can be hard to understand. I get hungry when im stoned, but only if i was hungry anyway. I dont understand what u mean about eating ruins your high could u please explain that to me. Weed doesnt directly increase appetite, neither does it relieve pain, though indirectly

 #20 
Old 2002-12-08, 07:00
hartattack2188 hartattack2188 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: anorexia and weed

quote:
Originally posted by grungymagician:
But I try to avoid eating because to me it kills the high.


that doesn't go for me. eating food doesn't affect my high in a bad way.
 #21 
Old 2002-12-08, 13:34
grungymagician grungymagician is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: anorexia and weed

Eating kills my high. I dont know exactly why, but it does. Say I'm stoned, just got done smoking, then eat. It takes me out of stoned and if I'm lucky I'll be buzzing. Sucks doesnt it? Also it gets me very tired, lazy, mopey and unmotivated.

I wish eating did not kill my high but it does. Like you said, yeah weed itself doesn't make me hungry, my mind justs conciously thinks, "eating would be good now because you're high."

I'm sure it justs affects some people to a greater degree than others.

 #22 
Old 2002-12-08, 15:06
r0k r0k is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: anorexia and weed

kills my high too sometimes i wont have munchies and ill be sitting there watching tv then a mcdonalds commercial will come on and ill be cra
ving food
 #23 
Old 2002-12-08, 19:08
TheMeatPirate TheMeatPirate is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: anorexia and weed


quote:
Originally posted by Black_Chi:
They'd still throw it up... The part of anorexia that kills isn't the fact that you don't have any food in your stomach, its that your throwing up so much. Human bile from throwing up has a lot of nasty chemicals in it that aren't ment to be absorbed in the mucus tissue of the throat, mouth, nose, what have you. So in a word, "No".

It may be able to help with the mental side of things to some extent but its not going to stop stick women from throwing up what they just ate.



i didn't really bother to read the entire post, so excuse me if someone already said this, but isn't Balemia (sp?) the one where people throw up? not anorexia?

~meaty

[This message has been edited by TheMeatPirate (edited 12-08-2002).]
 #24 
Old 2002-12-08, 19:45
adihash adihash is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: anorexia and weed

to be honest I think they should slap a big fat line of mdma powder infront of them.

Seriously though mdma was often used by psychiatrists to treat depression, although I know anorexia is a lot more complex than that.

Then maybe you could give them some psycoactive drugs to induce a bit of inner-exploration, some weed first maybe a wild shroom trip, some acid, dmt?
 #25 
Old 2002-12-08, 19:56
Regular
 
ATL, ho!
Default Re: anorexia and weed

even if you aren't self-concious normally weed can make you feel paranoid about your apperance. i know i have looked in a mirror and thought that when i walked i thought i looked like an ape...actually i haven't seen very many apes walk.
 #26 
Old 2002-12-09, 01:15
dopeman420 dopeman420 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: anorexia and weed

mdma won't work because of its after-effects. the person will crave to be in that state again. for such a toxic substance, a maintainable habituation isn't really an option.

Most other psychedelics are too unpredictable in their effects and long-acting to be useful in a therapeutic setting.

the search continues for a brief, predictably therapeutic, non-toxic psychedelic.
 #27 
Old 2002-12-09, 11:18
adihash adihash is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: anorexia and weed

dopeman 420 I don't understand what your saying, they would just become addicted to ecstacy?

Would you say even small amounts? I find ecstacy makes me open up and aprreciate things alot more. I think feeling that loved up and at peace with yourself is good once in a while do you not think? Like a breath of freshair?

I have a very easy time coming down when I havn't been dancing on E, that is when comedowns can be nasty.

Or are you saying someone that depressed would find it difficult to not crave after that feeling all the time?

 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics