|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Better Living Through Chemistry Discussions of any and all sorts of mind-warping chemicals, pills, booze, mind machines, trippy stuff, making beer, current street prices, importing pharmaceuticals, smart drugs, nutrients, herbs, and altered states. Please try to keep your conversations "theoretical" in nature, since this is an open conference. |
 |
|
|
#1
 2002-11-17, 03:58
|
|
Super Moderator
|
|
Sebastopol CA
|
|
Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
While replying to another thread I got to thinking about all the stuff my friends & I used to listen to when we tripped. I realized that it was nearly 20 years ago [I still can�t believe I�m almost 40. I just want to what the f**k happened to the last 15 or so years�.]Sorry. Anyway, since it was so long ago I thought that it quite likely that many, if not most, folks here may have heard of some of the groups, but not actually heard the recordings themselves. And since many of them were written and recorded at the time when acid was the new wonder drug on the block, a lot of the music was written specifically to be heard while under the influence of acid. And while a lot of it will sound dated, it still is great to hear during a trip. This isn�t a closed list, of course. Others may add; Are encouraged to add. But it must be music that it is unlikely many would know about. I don�t want to see things that we already know or go without saying. Thus, no Pink Floyd [even the first two albums], or anything like that. This will be one of the very few times that I will use my delete key. So then, without any further ado, I give you: Metaphysicist�s List of Tripping Music [That you may be too young to know].: [list=1] Vanilla Fudge: This group was best known for a very heavy, psychedelic version of the Supremes �You Keep me Hanging On�, there best stuff tended to be worked up versions of other peoples songs, though some of their original material is good too, if you like the other stuff. The drummer of this band is one some here may have heard of: Carmine Appice, who�s done work with many of rock�s top people. Their first album and Renaissance are the best two, though they all really good [they�ve just put out a new one, which I just ordered; I�ll let you know how well they stand up today]
The Electric Prunes, Mass in F minor: You can�t get a band name much more 60�s than The Electric Prunes. Their music was pretty typical of what became known as �acid rock�; very heavy on the fuzz guitar and made to invoke vast psychedelic landscapes in your mind. The Mass in F minor is pretty much what it says; It�s the Catholic Mass, set to a very fine example of acid rock.
Strawberry Alarmclock, Incense & Peppermints: Probably the most clich� of the the psychedelic songs, it is none the less great to trip to.
I want to take a second and differentiate between the terms psychedelic and Acid Rock . While in many places the two terms are interchangeable and thus mean the same thing, I�ve come to see that there is a difference: [b]Psychedelic was more on the pop side, with the guitars having that good old DA Fuzz face sound, and that friend of the 60�s keyboardist: The Vox Continental organ [though many times it was actually a Farfisa, which I prefer to use, as they were a bit more vestal; god I wish I still had my Farfisa VIP600 *sigh*�] As far as I can think of, there was only one band that used the Vox without it sounding cheesy: The Doors [ a group that don�t need go on this list as it should be one of the Goes-without-saying bands]
Acid rock, on the other hand, was a more �serious� [I use this word to mean the opposite of pop] sound. The guitars had a sound that was less fuzz and more straight distortion [though very heavy on the distortion]. They tended to use the Hammond B-3 organ more than the Vox [later band using a Mellotron like King Crimson, which some may argue wasn�t acid rock. Well, maybe not. Then again, maybe]. It is music much like this out of which came the sounds of groups like Black Sabbath. Indeed, if you listen to a Spooky Tooth then one of Sabbath�s first couple of albums, you can definitely hear the similarities]
I tend to see psychedelic as being more 66-67 and acid rock being 68 on. It�s almost like the one evolved into the other, which may be true to a certain extent. Though you will find examples of both in each others �time�, so these rules are hard set, but more of a guiding type thing.[/b]
The Count 5: Their hit was Psychotic Reaction. The album has its good points and it�s bad, built certainly worth hearing, also psychedelic.
Spooky Tooth: This band featured vocalist Gary Wright, who later recorded hits like Dream Weaver, in the 70�s. Spooky Tooth is nothing like his solo stuff. It is late acid rock [See my definitions above]. A great example of this group is their take on the Beatles �I am the Walrus� [I was living at the mortuary when I first heard song; I was in the shower: It was 7:30 in the morning, 6 hours earlier I had found some acid I forgot I had put away which I shared with a friend. As I was peaking around 6:00 it dawned on me that I was scheduled to work a 8:30 funeral! So I made to get dressed for it . So while I was showering, dosed to the gills � while washing my hear it looked lie I had 8 arms, there were so many trails! � I was listening to the radio, and that song came on. And I nearly melted into the wall of the shower by the time it was over] Another great record by them is Ceremony. This is just like The Mass in F minor album, but a little more refined, if I may use the term.
George Harrison, Electronic Music: Recorded in only a few hours, this record is nothing much more [nothing much? Hell, it�s only] George sitting down at a Moog synthesizer, one of only 4 that were around at the time IIRC. I don�t know if this album ever made it to CD and I know the vinyl version ain�t none too easy to find and ain�t too damn cheap if you do find it. Still, if you can locate a copy�[See my note at the bottom of this post. It isn�t something that you can listen to all the way through in a sitting [not unless you�re really out of your head ], it�s best to listen to segment of say 5 or so minutes here and there through out the evening. [A little rock trivia: A lot of people think that the first use of synthesizers in rock was The Beatles on Abby Road. Not true. The Beatles actually borrowed that synth from the group who was the first�..The Monkees . They used it on their Pieces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd. album. The songs Daily Nightly and Star Collector ]
Speaking of the Monkees [don�t give me no grief over this: unless you�ve heard them � and I don�t mean just the �hits� � you aren�t qualified to rebut. They actually made some damn good music and became respected amongst their peers.]. Some of their stuff makes good acid tunes. Outstanding of them are the above mentioned Star Collector, the Porpoise Song [This is from their movie Head.If you ever get a chance to see it, do. It�s great for watching on acid or just stones and is nothing like the show]. Also good is the Birds, the Bees and the Monkees album.
The Rolling Stones: You may ask what they are doing on this list and that they�re in the �already known� group. To which I reply with a written shrug of the shoulder [which hurt, damnit, shoulder joints acting up right now]. I add them for this: Their Satanic Majesties Request . This was their answer to the Beatles Sgt. Pepper�s album. For some reason this album is not looked upon very favorable by most. I love it, the whole thing. Most should =have at least heard 2000 Light Years From Home, and She�s a Rainbow.
The Moody Blues, Days of Future Past: While not really Acid rock , it still is great to hear dosed, especially if you can get a copy of the original master recording [better than CD ]. The whole orchestral thing is just f**king wonderful and has given me many hours of wild images in my head.
Frank Zappa: Granted, Zappa is for many an acquired taste, some of his work is great for the vast tripping majority. His early stuff, with the Mothers of Invention, is where most of it will be found. In particular, the album We�re Only in it for the Money and Absolutely Free and parts of Freak Out.
Deep Purple: Most will at least know such classics as Smoke on the Water, and Highway Star [which I happen to be listening to at this very moment ]. Not as many will have heard any of their early stuff. Like the first two albums: Shades of Deep Purple, which has a great version of the Beatles Help ala Spooky Tooth, or The Book of Taliesyn .
Harry Partch: This guy isn�t rock at all; in fact he�s long dead. But that don�t mean his stuff ain�t good listening. It is. Partch was known for creating his own music system. That is, whereas Western music [music as most of you know it] is a system where the octave is broken down into 12 equal steps [i.e.: the ratio of each note to it�s neighbor is the same all the way down. This isn�t perfect since there is some �fudging� of things to make it so - I�m not going to get into theory here: just take my word for it that compromises were made]. The reason for it is that this way things are kinda of the same from key to key, octave to octave [i.e.: Trying to sing a song in C and find it a bit too high for you? Just bring it down a couple of semitones to say B or A. No Problem. In other music systems were there was no �fudging� you can�t play it in B or A the same way as in C. Again, I ain�t going into theory]. What Partch did was to take the octave and break it into 64 part [I don�t recall if they�re even tempered or not]. He made a series of instruments to go with this system. And there are several recordings that he made, and others have done, using his instruments, and it�s great to hear tripping. [One of the things I want to someday try with my music is working with different systems. Ones with 11, 13 and 15 notes to the octave sound very interesting. Many synths are set up to work with different systems. It�s called Microtonal tunings
Raymond Scott Trio: You may not have heard of him, but I assure you you have heard some of his music; It�s been used in many many cartoons, WB one�s especially [any Warner Brother�s cartoon where there�s machinery, for example, you�ll hear the song �powerhouse�]. His stuff is great for tripping as it easily brings up images of various cartoon.
Well this should do for a good start. I sincerely hope that some of you are at least willing to give something new a try. After all, isn�t that kinda what acid is about in the first place? New experiences?
[[b]Note: I realize that a lot of what I�ve listed is damn hard and/or real expensive to acquire. So, fitting with my desire to expose people to music that has made my life better, I am willing to record anything from my music collection, for the cost of materials and postage. Naturally I have everything I�ve listed � and then some. And then some more [My collection is over 400 records, mostly from the late 60�s and 70�s]. My MP3 collection fills about 10 CDR�s � close to 1800 songs, I think, though those are mostly music from the late 80�s on.
|
|
#2
 2002-11-17, 04:41
|
junglist 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
you ever heard of Hawkwind meta?
|
|
#3
 2002-11-17, 04:50
|
LawlessZyklon 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
im owned by king crimson when messed up on "anything"
|
|
#4
 2002-11-17, 05:12
|
mcfryed 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
Frank Zappa is the bomb. I just love the Nanook Suite, especially the vigorous circular motion.
|
|
#5
 2002-11-17, 06:12
|
Time4Portals 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
Thanks for your generous offer! I'll take a copy of Vanilla Fudge, whatever that is! I�ve never heard of most those musicians and today would never trip to such abominations as Deep Purple or the Rolling Stones, but hey, I liked them and tripped to them when I was 15! Similar music I also liked to trip then:
� Ten Years After � Iron Butterfly � Gong � Can � Tangerine Dream, and my favorite: � Carl Hein Stokhoussen (sp?)
I�m not sure how known those musicians were/are here in the States, though. How about a list of contemporary music to trip to?
|
|
#6
 2002-11-17, 10:20
|
|
Super Moderator
|
|
Sebastopol CA
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
quote: Originally posted by junglist: you ever heard of Hawkwind meta?
Oh yeah  Dave Brock and Robert Calvert: Space rock done better even than Floyd. I used to have a bootleg of a performance of Space Ritual, but it is among those albums forever lost when I moved out of Santa Cruz [Actually, it was Boulder Creek, in the Santa Cruz mountains, but how many know where that is? ;-) quote: Originally posted by Time4Portals: Thanks for your generous offer! I'll take a copy of Vanilla Fudge, whatever that is! I�ve never heard of most those musicians and today would never trip to such abominations as Deep Purple or the Rolling Stones, but hey, I liked them and tripped to them when I was 15! Similar music I also liked to trip then:
� Ten Years After � Iron Butterfly � Gong � Can � Tangerine Dream, and my favorite: � Carl Hein Stokhoussen (sp?)
I�m not sure how known those musicians were/are here in the States, though. How about a list of contemporary music to trip to?
I've heard of all of them, and I've heard all but Can, which is something I hope to correct someday. My list was already of epic proportions, so there were things I didn't put in... But Iron Butterfly was an oversight that I really should be ashamed of.** They're almost up there in my book with Vanilla Fudge. I've even been able to see them [and got to meet them]. One of my first tattoo was the Iron Butterfly off their first album ;-) However, if Iron Butterfly is an oversight to be merely ashamed of, then it should be considered an unpardonable sinto have missed Gong. I've only heard one Gong album, and that one I heard only a few times, and that was over a single12 month period back in 1989. Be that as it may, that one album is one of those albums: The first time I heard it [during a deep deep trip] is forever etched in my mind as one of those experiences. When I heard it the first time I was tripping from one of those 8 to 12 dose trips, supplied by that friend who 'sponsored' that night of the 65+ hit trip. He's also the one who brought the Gong album; 'I brought this by, " I thought you might like some of this", he said - what an understatement. Deep into the peek he put it on and it became one of those 'Before & After' occasions you get here and there in life. It's easy to say, but not easy to say and convey the full meaning, but I'll try: Simply put: it's something which, after it happens or is experienced some things are never the same as they were before [See, simple to say, but I doubt many have fully understood on anything but a superficial level - and what I'm talking about goes way deep]. Like, um, you know how it is the first time you take acid [or 'shrooms, for that matter]? How after that everything has changed, some things more than others but changed none the less; the way you see things, the way you are able to make connections between seemingly unconnected items? [and that's all I'll say. At this point you either know what I mean, and are nodding your heads right now or you don't, and are scratching your head, wondering what this old fart is going on about. In which case no amount of writing will enlighten you]. That Gong album was like that, though not as all encompassing as my first trip, just in most things musical. I don't expect that all that many people will/would be affected as I was because it has all to do with musical taste, which mine has always been on the edge of the mainstream. When I heard it I thought to myself that what I was hearing was just what I would do with my music, if I had known about it [and this didn't make sense either I'm sure. I'll bet, though, that musicians who are very experienced with heavy doses of acid will understand]. That record stands as a milestone in my music life; a major influence on most everything I've done since [and to a certain extant, before]. There are very few records that can claim such; In fact I can only think of one other right now: the double repackage of the two solo albums by Syd Barrett [and that is even bigger, but another story for another time]. I've been trying for years to find that album. The trouble is I don't know which one it was. I've sampled all of the ones I know of at cdnow.com and none ring a bell.. I'd go back to the guy who turned me on to it in the first place, but he's been dead for quite few years [one of the reasons behind my anti-recreational opiate use stand]. Someday, though... ------------------------------------------ **:[I'm sure that there'll be others too... Of course, as a Mod, if someone posts something I missed, I can always add the missing song into my original post, then delete the post the reminded me  ]. {As for the Vanilla Fudge, first of all I can't beieve you know of these other bands you listed, but not the Fudge? Funny world sometimes. Sure, e-mail me and we'll figure out how best to get you exposed ;-) I've been thinking of making a tape or CD of songs to trip to; that is, do like I used to, make a whole tape [or CD] that not just has songs good for tripping, but put together to kinda lead your tip around [again, hard to explain, but I think that it's more that I'm getting real tired. So I'm going to stop here for while and get some sleep over the next hour or so.
|
|
#7
 2002-11-17, 14:46
|
metul 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
(Meta) Howbout Captain Beefheart? "The old fart was smart dancin to the fiddle and saw" That was some groundbreaking stuff! Most people cannot handle those songs.
[This message has been edited by metul (edited 11-17-2002).]
|
|
#8
 2002-11-17, 15:58
|
runaway 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
What kind of music do you all listen to while tripping now ? My list :
Tech N9ne Eminem House of Krazees ICP Twiztid Third Eye Blind Papa Roach Esham Pennywise Glassjaw
|
|
#9
 2002-11-17, 17:44
|
djsam 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
quote: They tended to use the Hammond B-3 organ
Amen!! I'm the proud owner of a B-3, and its got to be one of my favorite pieces of musical equipment. It just kicks ass. And meta: A band that I'm hoping you just forgot, Cream.
|
|
#10
 2002-11-17, 17:56
|
ScorchedWeasel 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
I still listen to the old stuff, the new just can't compare.
|
|
#11
 2002-11-17, 19:23
|
|
Super Moderator
|
|
Sebastopol CA
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
quote: Originally posted by metul: (Meta) Howbout Captain Beefheart? "The old fart was smart dancin to the fiddle and saw" That was some groundbreaking stuff! Most people cannot handle those songs.
[This message has been edited by metul (edited 11-17-2002).]
Yes, we have another winner! Q: What could be better than Zappa or Captain Beefheart? A: Zappa and Captain Beefheart! Ever listen to 'Bongo Fury'? quote: Originally posted by runaway: What kind of music do you all listen to while tripping now ? My list :
Tech N9ne Eminem House of Krazees ICP Twiztid Third Eye Blind Papa Roach Esham Pennywise Glassjaw
I've heard of most of those bands, and like them [Just because I'm over-the-hill doesn't mean my love of good music has been arrested at the type that was made when I was your age. In fact I really like Eminem**]. I don't know about tripping to them however. That's not saying I wouldn't enjoy it, it's just that as music selected for tripping, I don't think they'd make my list. When I talk about that I mean music that, because of how it's done, how it sounds, it'd be good to trip to [Once again I fear I am unable to convey just what I mean]. There is music that was writen well past the 60's & 70's that fit the bill. Some more currnt [by currant I go back as far as the late 80's, which I know is far from currant to many of you. Considering my vast span of years, though...  ] music that I can think of that would inherently be good for tripping [in my opinion , natch] would include: System of a Down [which I happen to be listening to as I write 
Radiohead
The Smiths
Primus
Faith No More
The Dukes of Stratosphere [This group did 2 albums in the mid-late 80's. They set out to do psychedelic music like it was meant to be - mellotron and all. I think they did a better job than 80% of the original bands! And the thing about them? It was really XTC.]
Beck
Danzig
Ministry
Flaming Lips
L-7
Live
Portishead
Sublime
Tool
Obviously some of these bands have more of a 'acid' element than others and by no means is my list 'the right one'.
The right one is whatever floats your boat when you trip.
For all I know, those 20-ish and under, having not really listened to the original acid rock have associated other music with the acid experience and may even find acid rock & psychedelic music no good to trip to [I can visualize it only: that stuff was writen [mostly] with acid in mind, that should make it good for anyone dosing- I would think.
Ok. Enough out of me again.
[One I just thought of that should have gone on my original list: The Residents. I saw them, too, when Snake finger was still alive.]
|
|
#12
 2002-11-17, 19:28
|
subvertpunk 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
I would have to say while tripping or nod'in my i have one favorite band. Nine Inch Nails, man these guys have such awesome ass music. Real lyrics i can relate to as any addict can. And then man oh the violent mixture of there rythms while tripping is just amazing!
Meta i think that system of a down would acually be awesome music to trip too, i never even thought about that.
|
|
#13
 2002-11-17, 19:29
|
|
Super Moderator
|
|
Sebastopol CA
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
quote: Originally posted by djsam: Amen!! I'm the proud owner of a B-3, and its got to be one of my favorite pieces of musical equipment. It just kicks ass.
And meta: A band that I'm hoping you just forgot, Cream.
This I had to respond to by itself. You bastard!  I wanted one for years [still do, but way out of my price range]. Not that I can play keyboards all that well, but I never let something as trivial as lack of talent stop me from anything  We needs to talk: I'd love to get you to put some tracks down on some of the current songs I've been working on [currant? I started this project pre-operation; 1995  . Though I admit there was a period of total stagnation - say 1996-2001 - been working regulary on it this year]. If interested, it can be done by mail without too much trouble. [And, no, I didn't forget Cream: they're on the goes-without-saying list] [This message has been edited by Metaphysicist (edited 11-17-2002).]
|
|
#14
 2002-11-17, 19:34
|
runaway 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
I've just been thinking...here are my bands that are good to trip to:
Tech N9ne* Eminem Insane Clown Posse Phish Radiohead
*If you like rap, even in the SLIGHTEST bit, Tech N9ne is for you. Get on your P2P client, and Download Tech N9ne's "Slacker"..now...RIGHT now..GO!
|
|
#15
 2002-11-17, 22:45
|
djsam 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
quote: This I had to respond to by itself.
You bastard!
I wanted one for years [still do, but way out of my price range].
Not that I can play keyboards all that well, but I never let something as trivial as lack of talent stop me from anything
We needs to talk: I'd love to get you to put some tracks down on some of the current songs I've been working on [currant? I started this project pre-operation; 1995 . Though I admit there was a period of total stagnation - say 1996-2001 - been working regulary on it this year].
If interested, it can be done by mail without too much trouble.
Well, just to rub it in a little, a Hammond B-3 is out of my price range too. So, I didn't pay anything for mine. No, I didn't steal it, I inherited it when a friend died - and no, I din't kill him.  And if you were to send me the music for if (even in icky piano roll format) I'd be glad to record some stuff. Although, you should be warned, a lot of the typical Hammond you hear in rock music has more to do with the speaker cabinets and effects used on the thing. Not to say that my organ can't get that sound, but there are a few squeeks, hisses, cracks, pops, etc. A couple of the tubes are out, I really need to replace those. Also, since you seem to be a bit interested in the mellotron, I should let you know that theres a pretty good mellotron softsynth out there. It doesn't sound quite as good as a real mellotron, but it of course doesn't break down all the time. Its called the M-Tron by GMedia, unfortunately I can't seem to find the site for it. Its got to be out there somewhere though. Also meta, if you're still interested in buying a hammond, you could probably find an M-3 (or even another model) for much less than a B-3. They lack the huge keyboards and amp of the B-3, but I think most of the electronics are the same. Now, you have to understand that most of the B-3's tone comes from that amp, so you'd have to work something out with a leslie simulator, but it'd still sound good.
|
|
#16
 2002-11-17, 23:08
|
beatmeofficer 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
John Scofield MC 900 Foot Jesus Tripping Daisy
|
|
#17
 2002-11-17, 23:16
|
punkrawkerstonershit 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
I would think that listening to ICP while tripping would be pretty scary. There stuff is very dark and sometimes weird. I wouldn't advise listening them while tripping.
|
|
#18
 2002-11-17, 23:52
|
FortyOunces 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
-sgt.peppers lonely hearts club band -DMB -radiohead -nirvana -charlie manson -m.manson -dieselboy -dj funk -leonard cohen -lords of acid -mamas n papas -nin -sarfi duo -tom waits (mostly more alcohol music) -tool -ween -white zombie
|
|
#19
 2002-11-18, 03:26
|
Neiztsche 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
I'm glad someone mentioned "Can" because you guys didn't mention the whole Kraut Rock scene. This is the music that infuenced Frank Zappa and the whole early New wave scene. It was heavily inflenced by psychedelic use.
Can Neu! Kraftwerk Faust
Other great trippy bands that seeded punk, new wave and electronica were:
Suicide (amazing dark psychebilly/electronic band from 1971!) The Silver Apples (This is Kraftwerk's main influence, electronica from 1968!) The Vibrators (1974 new wave, proto-punk)
and the band that EVEYRONE will trip balls on, the weirdest band on the planet....
The Shaggs. (1969 completely bizarre, off-key craziness)
|
|
#20
 2002-11-18, 08:53
|
ryanthemeister 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
Gong.
|
|
#21
 2002-11-18, 19:08
|
adihash 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
radiohead - kid A always made more sense when caned. prodigy leftfield squarepusher aphex twin radiohead PWEI prodigy was made for ecstasy, makes me laugh how even people who strongly disagree with drugs, liked the prodigy without even realising the type of scene there music emerged from. Especially aphex twin though not as mainstream as the prodigy still, he still manages to have a broad type of listener, despite growing up as part of the cornish rave scene and all the acid that went with it 
|
|
#22
 2002-11-18, 19:21
|
runaway 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
quote: Originally posted by punkrawkerstonershit: I would think that listening to ICP while tripping would be pretty scary. There stuff is very dark and sometimes weird. I wouldn't advise listening them while tripping.
ICP really isnt dark...its pretty funny,most of their stuff. For a dark, Freaky trip, listen to Dark Lotus... " Dead Bodies make me happy, Mass murder Makes me happy" ...its a freaky fucking band.
|
|
#23
 2002-11-18, 21:05
|
djsam 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
Well, since we're mentioning scary bands. I think Skinny Puppy needs to be on the list!
Skinny Puppy scares the shit out of me even when I'm sober. I definately don't have the balls to try listening to Skinny Puppy while tripping.
|
|
#24
 2002-11-18, 21:23
|
Impulses 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
Skinny Puppy is extraordinarily deep and complex while tripping. Slightly disturbing at first, but once you slip into it (best way I can describe it) it is pulsating with emotion and intriguing messages. I always interpret Skinny Puppy in a different way when tripping. I wouldn't recommend usage on dissasociatives though.
What do you guys think about Type O Negative while tripping? Superb tripping music for me.
|
|
#25
 2002-11-18, 21:34
|
soma 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
Don't we have a music forum here? {Yes, we do.}It seems like a better place for this thread. {That's why you're not a Mod . Sorry, that just begged for it.
Yes, there's a music forum and , yes, this topic would go well there.
It also fits here since it does have to do with BLTC}[This message has been edited by Metaphysicist (edited 11-19-2002).]
|
|
#26
 2002-11-18, 22:40
|
bunghole 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
For me its a lot of the aforementioned music, with the addition of Alice Cooper. Not the newer crappier stuff, but the old stuff. Halo of flies is a good example. http://www.tyu.ca/other/alice%20cooper%20-%20halo%20of%20flies.mp3
|
|
#27
 2002-11-18, 23:59
|
420!Mr~ThC!420 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
I personally listen to Heavy Music. Like Pantera, Slipknot, MudvaYne, etc. But if im just smokin' good ol' b.c buds anymusic is good... unless is that buzz killin boy band shit! Good acid trip music i find it Deftones. Try Listening to their album "white pony" very tippy! Happy trippin'! smoke hard!
|
|
#28
 2002-11-19, 00:20
|
|
Super Moderator
|
|
Sebastopol CA
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
quote: Originally posted by adihash: Especially aphex twin though not as mainstream as the prodigy still, he still manages to have a broad type of listener, despite growing up as part of the cornish rave scene and all the acid that went with it 
Good lord, know I know I'm old. I've heard him, and even like a lot of it [bet you thought I was going to say "It just sounds like noise to me.", didn't you? [/i] Much of what I've heard, though I most certainly would not want to hear while frying.
|
|
#29
 2002-11-19, 00:40
|
|
Super Moderator
|
|
Sebastopol CA
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
quote: Originally posted by djsam: Well, just to rub it in a little, a Hammond B-3 is out of my price range too. So, I didn't pay anything for mine. No, I didn't steal it, I inherited it when a friend died - and no, I din't kill him. 
Actually that diesn't rub it in: I have an amp that I aquired the same way. If you're anything like me [and most people] you'd rather have the friend than the B-3; am I right? quote:
And if you were to send me the music for if (even in icky piano roll format) I'd be glad to record some stuff. Although, you should be warned, a lot of the typical Hammond you hear in rock music has more to do with the speaker cabinets and effects used on the thing. Not to say that my organ can't get that sound, but there are a few squeeks, hisses, cracks, pops, etc. A couple of the tubes are out, I really need to replace those.
You mean for me to write the part? Oh, no, no, no, no, no. I'm no keyboardist, hell, with my partially functioning left hand, I'm barely still a bass player  Here's what I was thinking: I would put down some basic track, so you would know what to play and where. Mix that down to a 2 channel, stereo mix. What comes next would depend on what you have: If you have a 4-track tape recorder, you could use the stereo mix, and add your part - preferable on the other two channels so that the B-3 would also be stereo. If no 4-track then just play the stereo mix on one tape dek and record your part on another [still doing two channels]. Then just send it back to me. It may sound unworkable [maybe not. I'm from the 2 track generation where the advent of the home 4-track was like a gift from god. Those raised on digital recording may not even see where a problem ever might have existed...I could be wrong there too]. I've a friend who's a recording engineer by profession, so he can put it all together. So, are you game? [I'd still need to lay down tracks first.] quote:
Also, since you seem to be a bit interested in the mellotron, I should let you know that theres a pretty good mellotron softsynth out there. It doesn't sound quite as good as a real mellotron, but it of course doesn't break down all the time. Its called the M-Tron by GMedia, unfortunately I can't seem to find the site for it. Its got to be out there somewhere though.
I found a copy of the dll, but I need to find the presets [or so I heard when I got the dll. Thanx for the info on buying a B-3. Alas, I won't have any noticeable free money until, umm..., ah - never I should think 
|
|
#30
 2002-11-19, 01:41
|
The_Scrub 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
quote: Originally posted by runaway: [QUOTE]Originally posted by punkrawkerstonershit: [b]I would think that listening to ICP while tripping would be pretty scary. There stuff is very dark and sometimes weird. I wouldn't advise listening them while tripping.
ICP really isnt dark...its pretty funny,most of their stuff. For a dark, Freaky trip, listen to Dark Lotus... " Dead Bodies make me happy, Mass murder Makes me happy" ...its a freaky fucking band.[/B][/QUOTE] WOO WOO!!! Well I think this forum is more about old school shit, but on a side note ICP, HOK, and Esham the UNHOLY are phat as fuck. Especially shit like HOK - Season of the Pumpkin. But I wouldn't say these kinds of songs fit the bill for trippin' music.
|
|
#31
 2002-11-19, 03:35
|
aquila 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
quote: Originally posted by beatmeofficer: John Scofield MC 900 Foot Jesus Tripping Daisy
hell yeah, john scofield is the man, big fan of uberjam.... check out jaco pastorius, avishai cohen, victor wooten, and buster williams... different instrument... but awesome stuff... EVERYONE download jaco pastorius - portrait of tracy go now!! lol [This message has been edited by aquila (edited 11-19-2002).]
|
|
#32
 2002-11-19, 03:53
|
Soylent Green 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
Don't you kind of get the feeling people will like anything when they're fucked up?
"d00d! REO SPEEDWAGON IS THE SHIT!!!!11"
|
|
#33
 2002-11-19, 04:42
|
|
Super Moderator
|
|
Sebastopol CA
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
smoking quote: Originally posted by The_Scrub: WOO WOO!!! Well I think this forum is more about old school shit, but on a side note ICP, HOK, and Esham the UNHOLY are phat as fuck. Especially shit like HOK - Season of the Pumpkin. But I wouldn't say these kinds of songs fit the bill for trippin' music.
Ok people, we are getting off track, like The_Scrub said. I don't care if it was recorded today or at the dawn of recording technology, as long as it is good to trip to. Anything else risks the red pen [or was 'blue pencil?] I still may go back and clean this up: it started off so well.... And don't try getting around it by adding that 'it's good to trip to'.Resume play
|
|
#34
 2002-11-19, 05:56
|
riot_kid 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
I haven't tripped in a damn long time but when I did I listened to Pink Floyd almost entirely, thusly Pink Floyd is associated with some of my best moments, and some of my strangest. (I know Pink Floyd falls into the obvious category, but I can't talk about me tripping w/out mentioning them.) Zappa is great but I'm not always in the mood to listen to the man. My suggestions:
Go out and find some trance, preferably goa trance, that used to be some fun stuff to get fucked up to I can't really tell you artists names, because I saw them live and was rolling, or tripping balls at the time
other stuff, Jethro Tull and Led Zepplin
I don't really have any other suggestions because most of my time spent spent dosed was spent in warehouses or running around the great outdoors.
I don't really trip anymore but if I did I think I'd be listening mostly to trance and trip hop, although I always wanted to spend an entire trip listening to classical composers but I never got around to that. Most industrial music and most rap would probably scare the fuck out of me while I was tripping (once on mushrooms I heard gunshots on a rap track and spent 5 minutes trying to figure out what was going on, it put a negative spin on the next couple hours of the trip as I started to imagine people being murdered, fortunately I remembered I was only tripping and went back to wrestling w/ trying to speak coherent sentences and laughing at sensless shit) I would however like to listen to Deltron 3030 in it's entirety while tripping, it's pretty much a story album and in my opinion would be awesome to visualize. Anyways now that I've rambled way too long I'd just like to close by saying that Pink Floyd's The Wall will always be my quintessential tripping album as on my first trip I watched the wall twice among the many things I did on that strange strange magical night.
|
|
#35
 2002-11-19, 21:08
|
djsam 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
quote: If you're anything like me [and most people] you'd rather have the friend than the B-3; am I right?
Well, friend isn't quite the right word. Someone I vaguely knew, we picked up the keyboard some time after she died too. And yes, I'm game. And although I do have a 4 track, I'd VERY much prefer to to this digitally if possible. And yes, I'd be quite capable of coming up with the organ parts myself. But yeah, I'd want as much input as possible, I'm no great keyboardist either. Back to how this will be done, now that I've thought about it, sending me a tape would work just fine. I could simply transfer the tape to some form of digital media, and work with it there. Since your friend would be doing the final work with it, would it be just fine to send my part of it digitally? (On cd or via the internet) Or even (this would be the best way for me), have your friend convert the whole thing to digital. I really must stress how much better digital would be at this point, since my 4 track is something like 20 years old (heads are in baad shape, cost more to replace them then a new recorder would cost). Rather than losing quality, if I did it digitally, I'd get better quality - and be able to tweak it after the track is recorded. I actually do have access to a nice studio, with tape heads that aren't in such bad shape, but I don't know if you've ever moved a B-3....its not a pleasant experience. Its not even all that big (relative to some of the stuff I've had to move in the past), but the thing is heavy as fuck. Actually, I think its heavier than fuck. Took 4 big guys to get it in the house, and we were all very sore afterwords. And also, a public forum probably isn't the best place to discuss this, if you think we could figure this out via email (may require a lot of going back and forth) then you can reach me at staylor@core.com. However, I'm on AIM (nicaedron13) and IRC quite a bit, those would be a bit easier (if you've already using one of them that is). Ok, just one more thing.  If doing this digitally (even if its just at my end) would work out, if you need anything else (and I mean anyhting, I have access to a lot of instruments), don't hesitate to ask. The list includes: guitar, bass, oboe, flute, clarinet, most horns, bazooki, sax, and violin - if you couldn't tell, I've been a bit bored. New musical opportunities always get me interested. 
|
|
#36
 2002-11-20, 23:27
|
djsam 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
Just makin sure this is on the first page You're right about the not here business; and me a Mod. My bad: Sorry folks.
I will e-mail you when I get home.[This message has been edited by Metaphysicist (edited 11-21-2002).]
|
|
#37
 2002-11-21, 02:27
|
soma 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
Meta, I know I'm not a mod (and probably never will) and I agree that this thread fits well in either forum. But you said that my suggestion is the reason I'm not a mod (I've only registered a month ago, so that's probably not it). Did I understand that right? If yes, why?
|
|
#38
 2002-11-21, 02:35
|
copsblowcock420 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
The Fairy Ring CD by Mike Rowland is a great trip-out piece.It's made to synthesize with body rhythms and is well worth the price of the CD.
|
|
#39
 2002-12-04, 02:20
|
ScorchedWeasel 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
This will be obvious to most people, but Jimi Hendrix blows my mind while tripping, Voodoo Child will blast me into other worlds, the guitar at the beginning is simply amazing.
|
|
#40
 2002-12-04, 04:28
|
|
Moderator
|
|
Facedown in the shag rug.
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
Michael Viner's Incredible Bongo Band.
Besides being cool in it's own right, after listening to some of their stuff, you'll never listen to techno breaks quite the same again. Just go download Apache and you'll see what I mean.
|
|
#41
 2002-12-04, 04:44
|
Halfglass 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
Riot Kid is rigth about Tull. Songs From the Wood is good. I'm a guitarist so I can zone to The Allman Bros. at The Filmore--two of the sides have no singing--just that rising and falling solo trip (Elizabeth Reed, Hot'Lanta)
|
|
#42
 2002-12-05, 05:21
|
teabaghookie 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
13th floor elevators
|
|
#43
 2002-12-06, 00:52
|
Doug-44 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
keep adding to the music to trip on! a aahahah a foot bowl
|
|
#44
 2002-12-06, 02:45
|
zeroOne 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
I highly suggest Dream Theatre. 'A Change of Seasons".
|
|
#45
 2002-12-06, 11:19
|
Doug-44 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
what are some good classical or instrumental artist to trip on? ive heard stuff like bach but im not sure.
|
|
#46
 2002-12-06, 11:38
|
lpgeni 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
Damn uve mentioned almost all of my favortie bands in these topics, but a really important band is missing: BUDGIE they are a mix of deep purple, black sabbath, uriah heep, with a drop of pink floyd- all these bands are damn great but, the lesser known budgie still remains my favorite partly cuz they are so underrated/unknown.
Some of My Favorites(random order):
Budgie Hawkwind Blue Oyster Cult Led Zeppelin Uriah Heep Deep Purple Black Sabbath Camel Zappa/Beefheart Jethro Tull Joe Satriani King Crimson Manfred Mann(not the earlier but the Space rock years) Lou Reed/ The velvet underground Mountain Pink Floyd Rainbow Renaissance Soft Machine Thin Lizzy Whitesnake Yes
In my opinion most of the new stuff swallows like hip-hop+techno though Mogwai, Tortoise and few others have some great space rock going on.
[This message has been edited by lpgeni (edited 12-06-2002).]
|
|
#47
 2002-12-06, 14:52
|
Tchort 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
The three absolute greatest groups to trip to: -Velvet Underground -Bauhaus -Death In June The combination of melody and experimental styles of music blend perfectly with each. Death In June imparticular is very atmospheric so to speak; somewhat similar to Pink Floyd in that regard. Bauhaus has bizarre and mellow songs that are all indescribable. And Velvet Underground needs no explanation  Recommended songs: Velvet Underground-Heroin Velvet Underground-Pale Blue Eyes Velvet Underground-Crimson And Clover Bauhaus-All We Ever Wanted Was Everything Bauhaus-Stigmata Martyr Bauhaus-Burning From The Inside Death In June-Roseclouds Of Holocaust Death In June-Little Black Angel Death In June-Blood Of Winter Some other honorable mentions include- Skinny Puppy, Radiohead, Primus, Frontline Assembly, Velvet Acid Christ, Boyd Rice and Bj�rk. I won't go into detail, just list some songs by each: Skinny Puppy-Assimilate Skinny Puppy-Addiction Skinny Puppy-Tormentor Skinny Puppy-Worlock Radiohead-Karma Police Radiohead-Paranoid Android Radiohead-Fake Plastic Trees Radiohead-True Love Waits Primus-Shake Hands With Beef Primus-Arnie Frontline Assembly-Prophecy Velvet Acid Christ-Suicide Planet Boyd Rice/NON-Black Light District Bj�rk-Army Of Me Enjoy if you feel like downloading any of that.
|
|
#48
 2002-12-06, 18:28
|
TheSell0ut 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
My list:
Nirvana Hot Choclate Bob Marley Metric Cake Tool Alice In Chains Bauhaus
As far as "drinking" music goes, Lynyrd Skynyrd would be my pick. Call me a hick now.
The perfect place to listen to Pink Floyd: On your living room floor, as the full moon shines in, around July or June. It was a special experience for me, I felt very paranoid and completly into the music.
|
|
#49
 2002-12-06, 19:16
|
lpgeni 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
I forgot: Gentle Giant Mike Oldfield Steppenwolf
|
|
#50
 2002-12-08, 11:54
|
lpgeni 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
Ozric Tentacles
|
|
#51
 2002-12-08, 16:35
|
hartattack2188 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
this is not old music. it is good to listen to if you smoke pot. even better while high.
the band is Dispatch, and their cd that i have burned is called Bang Bang
|
|
#52
 2002-12-08, 18:12
|
lpgeni 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
Captain Beyond
|
|
#53
 2002-12-10, 04:47
|
lpgeni 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
Soft Machine
|
|
#54
 2002-12-10, 05:14
|
teabaghookie 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
nuggets is a boxset covering 65-69 raw psychadelic stuff, it is 4 cds. id recommend it for anybody unless youve already got all this stuff. although its got a lot of cheesy stuff on it, it is has gotten me into some bands that most people have forgot about.
these some bands that id recommend for this list
the elasktic band the blues project the monks gonn the bees kim fowley love the 13th floor elevators the zachary tachs bubble puppy (not on the box set but still good band)
|
|
#55
 2002-12-23, 23:41
|
boosby 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
my mind is drawing a blank so i only have a warning.
IF YOU EVER WANT TO HEAR THE WORST MOST FUCKED UP SONG IN THE WORLD (YET STRANGELY MEANINGFUL, SO MUCH AS TO MAKE YOU THINK ABOUT IT MUCH DEEPER)LISTEN TO
ACID BATHS, THE BEAUTIFUL DOWNGRADE
i heard that song while chilling after a rave and we were just finishing off the last 50, 60 hits left in the vial and then this song came on i was still heavily tripping with the blacklights on and glowy shit everywhere. be warned this is a heavy fucking song, it summons forth the army of the appoclaypes
|
|
#56
 2002-12-24, 01:28
|
2likestuff 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Metaphysicist Presents: Music for Tripping [That you may be too young to know]
i dont drop acid, so i wouldnt know whats the best, but when i am reallllly stoned i mean totally fucked up, i like to turn the lights out, turn off my pc monitor, and listen to: Pink Floyd- Eclipse ( DSOTM, Time, Comf. Numb, have a cigar Cream- anything, esp. white room Greatful dead- Sugar magnolia, live eur. '72 Doors- Riders on the storm, Moonlite Drive, strange days,anything really Widespread Panic- thought sausage, blue indian, space wrangler Allman Bros- Elizabeth reed
and the best of all--- WALK ME OUT IN THE MORNING DEW by Grateful dead, the best song ever,
there is tons more, just these are the hi lites
happy stoning, John
[This message has been edited by Metaphysicist (edited 12-24-2002).]
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|