|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Better Living Through Chemistry Discussions of any and all sorts of mind-warping chemicals, pills, booze, mind machines, trippy stuff, making beer, current street prices, importing pharmaceuticals, smart drugs, nutrients, herbs, and altered states. Please try to keep your conversations "theoretical" in nature, since this is an open conference. |
 |
|
|
#1
 2002-11-07, 21:42
|
AprilReign 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Pain Meds
HI i hope someone here knows enough about pain meds to help me. I read some content here about Demerol/Phenergan mix....and they seem really knowledgeable... And i just have some general questions about painkillers that are hard to get a straight answer from doctors. I really hope to hear from someone who really knows opiates and other painkillers ..i read somewhere someone who posted that methylphenidate is an anti-depressent, and knowing it is not, i am really hoping to hear from some one (moderators?) who REALLY knows their sh*t...Thanks...Anyway, I was recently diagnosed with Crohn's (a few months ago) and just had surgery. I read some post here which made mention of a Demerol/Phenergan mix? I would get Dilaudid & Phenergan when i got into emergency room and i am prescribed Phenergan...it sure helps with nausea...can you tell me why you wrote about those two? what or how is it that those two work together? I don't like Demerol, which DOES work for me, BUT it leaves a nasty headachy hang-over "dirty" feeling...like a cheap wine. and bad nurses ripped me off of it...was a HORRIBLE withdrawal. Morphine did NOT work for me at ALL. My surgeon said she has heard of others like me that morphine doesn't work for. Have you heard of that? seems strange that Diluadid worked well for me but not those other drugs. After going through IV Demerol & Morphine, I was really glad for the Dilaudid, it worked the best. Percocet didn't work for sh*t either, but Vicodin did. Weird. NOw I am down to Ultram and Darvocet, Phenergan, Ativan and Restoril. Any thoughts on the new Ultracet vs. Ultram? What can you tell me about the phenergan thing? and any other comments about my experiences (ie morphine doesn't work)? I feel like if i am going to be in the hospital two weeks or more they should give me the fentanyl patch, because even Dialudid via PCA sux (.1 mg every 6 minutes)...you wake up hurting and little, timed doses can't help you re-attain a threshold of pain relief. At least those were surgical nurses and my withdrawal from Dilaudid was humane. I woke up on versed...during a scopy. i think i am doomed drug-wise because i am so resistant and drs. are often so resistant to give you anything but that sh*tty demerol -- it's a stupid drug. Any information you can provide you will be much appreciated...Thanks
|
|
#2
 2002-11-07, 22:15
|
cocaloca 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Pain Meds
demerol does not do shit for you because you have such a high opiod tolance, i don't like it much either, but mephragans or meprizine are demerol/phengren toghether, i guess because demerol causes nausea. I have never heard of diluadid with phenagren, but when i have taken it it never really makes me sick.
|
|
#3
 2002-11-07, 22:26
|
cocaloca 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Pain Meds
for some reason, hydrocodone works better for my pain then oxycodone like you with the percocet/vicoden. At one point I used a combination of ultram and darvcet to help with extreme menstral cramping. I have never tried ultracet(isn't it just tramadol with apap?) but I like ultrams even though they aren't narcotic. as far as that thing you know is not an anti-depressent I have no clue. Isn't the patch (fetnanly, excuse spelling) like a last resort in treating pain? I hope you fell better. oh yeah, and mephragans demerol/phen, are very hard to research about and I don't think are normally prescribed but then again I am just a pill head, who secrect dream is to be a pharmacist--ha!
|
|
#4
 2002-11-08, 00:43
|
AprilReign 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Pain Meds
Thanks so much for the reply ...you gave me lots to think about. Am glad i am not the only one w/ the vicodin-worx-but-percocet-doesn't situ. Still mystifies me. Maybe they are just different enough...but i wonder if there is like a "strength list" somewhere that can rank them. There *IS* something specific about the piggy-backing with Phenergan...or so dr.s say. Supposedly, it enhances efficacy. But I wonder if Phenergan makes other opiates besides demerol work better, too. It was J. Rocker who mentioned this at http://www.totse.com/en/drugs/otc/163302.html. I hope he replies to this post. So...you really think it is TOLERANCE that i suffer from? I have never done heroin and until i got diagnosed w/ this Crohn's i wasn't taking pain meds...i don't do street drugs esp. pills...i mean, that is a BIG unknown to take something and have NO certainty of what it is. So i am wondering where/when the Hell i built up this tolerance? Is anyone familiar with this subject? Surely i can't be the only person who rarely took pain meds until now, and yet I can't seem to get much relief. I feel like i have ALWAYS been this way, even as a kid. Low pain threshold - high drug tolerance. SUX...is like alcohol...i am NOT a cheap date...btw-that begs the question: i wonder if alcohol consumption can affect dose tolerance of opiates and the like. (or being a former major pot-head in college, mebbe?) SYNERGISTIC DRUGS: back to the "makes it work better" theory yes you are right - ultracet is tramadol w/ apap. However, supposedly it contains LESS tramadol, because, so they say... the combo works better due to the apap, so they give you less tramadol in the dose. Good for avoiding taking too much tramadol over time i guess. bad if you like it for the buzz...apap must be hell on the liver, and supposedly ultram is kinder - at least to your digestive tract. I wonder about the so-called non narcotic nature. Can't believe Ultram would be not be considered Less addictive. I know it's not an opiate. They said that about Stadol one time, which i took for migraines. But i consider that VERY addictive. I guess they learn things about drugs over time. Fentanyl-- Yes, Fentanyl is wicked strong...the thing or idea that i liked about it is the patch. if you are really trying to treat pain, i think the more even the dose the better. I hate PCA, if you are trying to sleep you can't get dosed, and during the day, you are like a trained monkey ...hitting the button for more. Thank you for your well wishing  i appreciate it...still hope to hear about Phenergan w/ other drugs.
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|