Disclaimer: What follows is Not meant to be a flame. It is meant to be a serious response to the post. It may seem antagonistic due to it taking a position contrary to the originator, but that is the nature of debates and is not the opening salvo in a new flame war**
quote:
Originally posted by dopeman420:
...and, most interestingly, take drugs...
That line right there shows it for what it really is: A thinly disguised attempt to legally do drugs, with a couple of other [admittedly cool] aspects thrown in to distract from the drug part.
Don't get me wrong: I find nothing wrong in looking for ways to legally do what shouldn't be illegal
in the first place.
Of course, it might offend people who are members of
real religions that. I use 'real' to mean just what you think I do. Not that I believe in any of them: I don't I just couldn't think of another term that would get just what I meant across without mudding things. So don't take 'real' to be an endorsement or even a personal validation of their 'real 'realness' [Now if
that didn't just muddy things up the way I was hoping to avoid....You just can't talk about religion without muddying the waters ;-) ].
That said, I'd like to now say: It won't work.
Yes there
is separation of church and State [more or less...].
But, above all else is the obvious fact that the people who make up the Government are not [on the whole and despite how much we like to think it otherwise]
completely stupid: Don't you think they would spot it for such right away?
Ignoring that for a moment, let's take a look at
why it won't get saluted should you run it up the flag pole.
What you would have to do is prove [or convincingly show] that
it is a religion and not just a way to skirt anti-drug laws.
You have no history of practicing such a religion, which will make it even harder.
More important, though, you would have to convince them that you use the drugs
solely for spiritual enlightenment only. Any evidence of recreation use would kill things right there.
Look at the religion of the American Indians: They are legally allowed to consume peyote as part of their sacred sacraments
but only in the context of the religion.
They can't just 'pop a button' when ever it strikes their fancy.
Nor can anyone just claim to be part of that religion: You must show either that it is part of your heritage or you must
really convince the Government
andelders of a branch of the church that you truly wish to become a member
and not because you want to take peyote.
So, really, it does look good on paper, but in reality it just won't work.
Besides: Don't you think others have tried the same thing over the years?
quote:
...we are engaging in religious worship which cannot be interfered with by law enforcement officers due to the separation of church and state.
See above about
proving that you are and not just using it as a thinly veiled attempt at skirting the law.
Again, though, it was a good thought and shows you can engage in creative thinking [and that is
not sarcasm]
**: It may seem silly to put up such a disclaimer as I did up top.
But with the current situation I want to make things better by posting information and constructive replies, and keep the flames out.
So I am going to extra lengths to make sure that people know that I am not writing as a flame right at the start.
Oh, some may still fire one off back at me; I'm hoping to prevent those that would hit the reply button to send off a response flame as soon as they perceive they're being flamed.
Okay, so I over react; shoot me ;-) ]