|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Better Living Through Chemistry Discussions of any and all sorts of mind-warping chemicals, pills, booze, mind machines, trippy stuff, making beer, current street prices, importing pharmaceuticals, smart drugs, nutrients, herbs, and altered states. Please try to keep your conversations "theoretical" in nature, since this is an open conference. |
 |
|
|
#1
 2002-10-10, 21:20
|
KarlMaloneSay 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Lithium
recently i was diagnosed with Bi-Polar disorder. im gonna get put on lithium...1500mg a day i think the doc said...so my question is is it safe to get high or drink while on lithium? i heard a horror story from my friend who was on the same dosage that smoked and then after the lithium gave him cottonmouth and then the weed did he started coughing up blood...but theres a good chance hes bullshitting-so if you know tell me...i dont wanna ask my doc as hell say somethin to my father about me doin drugs...o and does lithium make u gain weight? the last thing i need is to gain weight... Thanx, Karl
|
|
#2
 2002-10-11, 00:11
|
|
|
Re: Lithium
i also wonder about this.
|
|
#3
 2002-10-11, 00:45
|
Infyrno 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Lithium
Looks like your friend might be right, one of the side effects is thirst.
Read over this, it may answer some of our questions. http://health.yahoo.com/health/drugs/0241/1.html
|
|
#4
 2002-10-11, 00:53
|
culinaryoverlord 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Lithium
1.5g lithium a day? Holy fuck, an accquaintance of mine with very strong "violent tendencies", only takes .5, he has to or he goes back to jail. Is it just me or do a lot of people on this board have hardcore pill pusher doctors, is this a trend? Or has this been going on since meth used to be a diet drug? I am going to start a "whats your ADM?" thread ADM= age, diagnosis, medication. We shall see if we are living better through chemistry or not! This is in no way saying that you should't listen to your doctor, if it helps, take it. But fuck, there sure seems to be a lot of medicine floatin' around these days.
|
|
#5
 2002-10-11, 03:11
|
KarlMaloneSay 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Lithium
heh, no i agree...my psychiatrist when i was 14 was talkng about giving me fucking secanol for mild sleep problems, but it never got filled or some kinda shit, but anyway ya doctors will prescribe anything with the right amount of coaxing/money...fuckin cocksmokers get paid 300g's a year to be all rich and prescribe pills...and ya 1.5g of lithium is a fucking lot- and the max dosage for lithium is 1800mg and i think thats like anti-psychotic more than for bi polar, i dono maybe i just wasnt paying attention to the old fuck...well i know i wasnt but i thought i heard somethin or somethin to that extent about 1500mg of lithium...
|
|
#6
 2002-10-11, 04:16
|
crocodile dundee 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Lithium
yeah my dad was on lithium carbonate for 6 to 9 months. for bi-polar. didnt notice any weight gain problems.
the only thing was he was on a fairly high dose and the 'therapeautic' level was close to the toxic level (as too much of lithium has side effects)
eventually he had to be pulled of it and they tried another medication (dunno what) but its doin ok.
and i wouldnt recommend drinkn or using other stuff with it...u may find urself in a room with a bed...and people in white uniforms.
sometimes ppl flip out when mixing.
good luck
croc
|
|
#7
 2002-10-11, 13:53
|
KarlMaloneSay 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Lithium
......ya im gonna try to convinve my doctor to give me some Neurontin or Depakote...i dont wanna get all sick n shit from lithium cause i get high every day...and if anyone knows about pharmacy shit, will i stay on Adderall if iget put on any of these or will i get taken off of it? Love, karl
|
|
#8
 2002-10-11, 14:12
|
Z3m 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Lithium
quote: Originally posted by culinaryoverlord: [BIs it just me or do a lot of people on this board have hardcore pill pusher doctors, is this a trend?[/B]
I wish. I had to wait 8 months, be put in the hospital, and almost arrested before I could get kpins... Which I am now abusing. (rolling own eyes at stupid behaviour) My doctor also threatened to stop treating me... So if anyone needs the name of a real doctor, I can help them out.
|
|
#9
 2002-10-11, 23:01
|
KarlMaloneSay 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Lithium
quote: Originally posted by Z3m: I wish. I had to wait 8 months, be put in the hospital, and almost arrested before I could get kpins... Which I am now abusing. (rolling own eyes at stupid behaviour)
My doctor also threatened to stop treating me... So if anyone needs the name of a real doctor, I can help them out.
hmm...karl malone confused...whats Kpins?
|
|
#10
 2002-10-11, 23:12
|
SSP 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Lithium
Klonopins, a benzodiazepine.
For you to do your own research, the generic name is clonazepam.
|
|
#11
 2002-10-12, 02:35
|
KarlMaloneSay 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Lithium
i c, is dem like valium? diazepam is the name for valium...i figured dey be related like them beanie baby related to barbie doll...and like dem percocet related to da darvocet and da percodan and da prefix and suffix
|
|
#12
 2002-10-12, 03:32
|
Z3m 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Lithium
It's sort of like a weak valium that lasts longer.
|
|
#13
 2002-10-13, 03:38
|
|
Super Moderator
|
|
Sebastopol CA
|
|
Re: Lithium
quote: Originally posted by Z3m: So if anyone needs the name of a real doctor, I can help them out.
*Cough, cough* I know you've read at least some of my posts.....
|
|
#14
 2002-10-13, 05:26
|
|
Super Moderator
|
|
Sebastopol CA
|
|
Re: Lithium
Ok, let's see if I can do this in under 10,000 words.
Lithium is used to treat bi-polar disease; manic-depression.
Despite popular myth, Lithiumis not akin to Thorazine: It is not a tranq, it does not put you out or turn you into a zombie.
Unless I'm grossly mistaken, it is not used to control violent people [unless the persons violence stems in part from being bi-polar].
If you are bi-polar the effect of it is to take the ups and downs of your emotional cycle and to 'lop it off' leaving a plateau - no extreme highs or lows - leaving you feeling, more or less, 'normal'.
If you are not bi-polar the effect is practically nil.
It does tend to make you thirsty.
It does need to be closely monitored by a Dr while you are on it because it is toxic to the liver and that must be watched.
Amongst my other medical problems, I am severely bi-polar and should be taking Lithium 6 times a day 600mg total.
That is considered pretty high.
I say I should be on it. I'm not because I haven't had any health coverage since '96 and I make too much for free stuff [not enough to pay for myself], so as in other aspects of my life, I have to find other ways to keep myself grounded - I'm not always successful - as reading many of my past posts will show ;-) ]
When I was on it I had no problem taking anything that I took along with it.
And I wish Dr.s were as 'pill happy' as you think: I can't get anything more than Motrin for a degenerative bone disease that has bent my spine and has me in intense pain 24/7. You can see that I'm in pain. Yet [when I did have medical coverage], I couldn't get what I obviously needed and will need until the day I die.
The whole medical establishment sickens me.
I made the mistake of letting a Dr at Kaiser talk me into having this operation when I still had coverage. He said I would need it someday and I might as well do it while insured as it was a $50,000 operation.
It was to basically make a bone paste of my neck bones, and use it to mold a new bone for me [I wouldn't be able to move my neck as it would then be one bone, but I could hardly move it as it was due to the disease, which had calcified the soft tissue in between the vertebrates].
The idea was to allow me to see where I'm walking [I could only see the ground a few feet in front of me: I look like Groucho Marx does when he walks, but my head is looking at the ground. Gives me an excuse to just look at nice female tushes as I walk: I tell people that I'm not good at remembering faces, but I never forget a shoe!]
Naturally, I'm a breast fan - which I can't see without looking very obvious. Doesn't matter much anyway: between the way it makes look and [more so I'm told] the way I see myself now I don't even bother trying to ask a woman out, sure of rejection. Which gives me a social life of, well let's just say that priests get more action than I have since it happened.
[...Sorry I digress. I do that a lot, you'll come to see. Especially when I've been up a few days, like now, due to bi-polar and pain].
Well the operation went horribly wrong. To quickly sum up: I was left with my left side mostly paralyzed [I have most of the leg back, though I still trip a lot which is worse considering I can only look at the ground. And I have about 75% of my left hand back. As you may have guessed: I'm left handed. There's only one thing I do right handed and that's play bass - right handed bass playing, though depends on the left hand to finger the frets: again I'm right out].
I'm not sure how giving info on lithium ended up with me whining about this again - I really try to avoid it as no one like to hear other peoples problems - and I really am not as miss-adjusted about the whole thing as this makes it sound: It's the bi-polar, as I said.
Read [most anything] I've written: and judge for yourself - or not.
[This message has been edited by Metaphysicist (edited 10-13-2002).]
|
|
#15
 2002-10-13, 14:03
|
Z3m 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Lithium
quote: Originally posted by Metaphysicist: *Cough, cough*
I know you've read at least some of my posts.....
But my docs wont't prescribe me nothin! And I lost a ton of pills this morning/last night! Quit'cher bitchin!
|
|
#16
 2002-10-13, 14:07
|
Z3m 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Lithium
And I'm going to add that it's all LostCause's fault!
And I've had just as much luck as you with pain meds, meta. And I am insured with a legitimate need.
|
|
#17
 2002-10-13, 21:04
|
KarlMaloneSay 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Lithium
my doc told me id have to have my blood level monitored alot, if they put me on lithium...but im gonna get put on depakote instead i believe.. or neurontin...but they arent mood stabilizers theyre "anti-convulsants" thats whats confuses me...
|
|
#18
 2002-10-13, 22:05
|
punkrawkerstonershit 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Lithium
can someone please tell me what bi-polar disease is??
|
|
#19
 2002-10-14, 02:05
|
Z3m 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Lithium
Look it up.
|
|
#20
 2002-10-14, 03:03
|
|
Super Moderator
|
|
Sebastopol CA
|
|
Re: Lithium
quote: Originally posted by Z3m: But my docs wont't prescribe me nothin!
And I lost a ton of pills this morning/last night! Quit'cher bitchin!
Who's bitchin? I was merely coughing... ...That and I thought I'd just yank your chain......  Bi-polar: AKA: manic depression
|
|
#21
 2002-10-14, 22:30
|
|
Regular
|
|
Behind the boat house
|
|
Re: Lithium
One of the side effects of Lithium is thirst, but, I don't see how smoking weed would make him cough up blood, because coughing up blood would mean his lung or throat were bleeding and even if you were really really thirsty and you smoked pot I don't think the smoke would actually dry out your lungs and throat enough to make them crack and bleed because just cause your thirst has very little to do with your lungs.
It's a possibility, but it sounds like bullshit to me.
Cheers, Lost
|
|
#22
 2002-10-15, 11:00
|
|
Super Moderator
|
|
Sebastopol CA
|
|
Re: Lithium
I agree; I meant to address that part, too.
There had to be something else going on - if he's not putting us on.
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|