About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Vices > Better Living Through Chemistry
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Better Living Through Chemistry Discussions of any and all sorts of mind-warping chemicals, pills, booze, mind machines, trippy stuff, making beer, current street prices, importing pharmaceuticals, smart drugs, nutrients, herbs, and altered states. Please try to keep your conversations "theoretical" in nature, since this is an open conference.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-08-07, 06:52
Regular
 
Default Questions on shroom cultivation

I was wondering a few things and I hope someone here who is experienced can help me.

1. I'm growing a batch in a plastic container that's about 70% covered. And unlike my other containers (which aren't as progressed as this one btw), it is pleasently warm on the bottom, I'm saying above body temp. Is this normal for mycelium growth?

2. I'm kinda fuzzy on one part of growth, how much light should be given to encourage pin growth after they appear?

3. In pictures, I noticed that the mycelium that the mushrooms are growing in are flat and a solid milky color. Mine is just very whispy and has grown to about 2-3 cm above the substrate, this is normal right?

4. When will pinning start?

Thanks, I'm a first-time cultivator and want to soak up as much info as I can for an error-free first run.

 #2 
Old 2002-08-07, 12:09
Thoughtmonger Thoughtmonger is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Questions on shroom cultivation

sounds like you wont get any pinning.
see Mushroom terraium plans post

What tech are you using?

[This message has been edited by Thoughtmonger (edited 08-07-2002).]
 #3 
Old 2002-08-07, 15:35
Regular
 
Default Re: Questions on shroom cultivation

Pretty much my own. I'm using wild birdseed and brown rice as the substrate its in a tall container that can be closed all the way thru the growth stage. I just spray the lid. Seems to really be effective in keeping things moist.
 #4 
Old 2002-08-08, 17:43
Thoughtmonger Thoughtmonger is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Questions on shroom cultivation

Hmm........birdseed.

curious.

What kind seeds are in the mix.(im assuming its a mix) ....uhh...


......birdseed.
 #5 
Old 2002-08-09, 02:40
Regular
 
Default Re: Questions on shroom cultivation

Ingredients (in order): Milo, White Proso Millet, Sunflower Seeds.

I've heard about Milo and especially Millet being effective so I thought birdseed'd be worth a shot. Besides, a 5lb bag was about $1.50 in Dillons so.....

Problem is the seed were throwing roots and encouraging decay so I had to throw the substrate out yesterday. I just made another batch today and cooked it at a high temp (before adding water and spores) so hopefully they wont root. Also decreased the bottom water in the container to nearly zero. Hopefully it'll work.

In the first jar, by day 8 it was about 70% colonized so I know the spores like it....

[This message has been edited by TIN the Kamio (edited 08-09-2002).]
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics