|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Better Living Through Chemistry Discussions of any and all sorts of mind-warping chemicals, pills, booze, mind machines, trippy stuff, making beer, current street prices, importing pharmaceuticals, smart drugs, nutrients, herbs, and altered states. Please try to keep your conversations "theoretical" in nature, since this is an open conference. |
 |
|
|
#1
 2002-07-08, 04:56
|
Z3m 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Serious question with serious drawbacks.
I've been diagnosed with MDD and GAD. Big deal, right? That's about 30% of the US population.
I was put on Effexor XR and have been on it for a while. Got all the way up to 375mg and then I wanted off. Dropped down to 300, and then to 150. That's when the trouble happened.
I went psychotic. Literally. Was seeing/hearing/feeling/thinking things that didn't exist. I was terrified of snippers and all sorts of crazy shit. So now I'm back on 300mg and going to get off it much slower...
My question is this; what kind of pharm could I get for my anxiety that isn't an ssri and something I could take only when needed? I'd prefer not to take any benzos but those are the only things I can think of. I was self medicating with carisoprdol for a while and that worked but it made me too sleepy to do much good and I was taking hepatoxic doses on a daily basis...
Any ideas? I'm not looking for an answer, just some things I can think about. My doc is out of town for a few more days so I just wanted to know if anyone here had any ideas.
|
|
#2
 2002-07-08, 19:37
|
|
Super Moderator
|
|
Sebastopol CA
|
|
Re: Serious question with serious drawbacks.
Damn man, that bites [but you know that already, don't you].
I, myself don't have an answer for you.
I do have resources in and out of work.
I will seek them out for the purpose of inquiry, on your behalf.
|
|
#3
 2002-07-08, 19:54
|
Neiztsche 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Serious question with serious drawbacks.
I think maybe Somas or some muscle relaxers but they may make you tired as well. Although Klonzepam (klonipin?) is a benzo, it's pretty drawn out and mellow. You can function on it. Why don't you just have a beer?
OR ask Alice: http://alice.sunlitsurf.com/alicechat.html
|
|
#4
 2002-07-08, 22:17
|
Z3m 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Serious question with serious drawbacks.
Meta help me!
I said I was self medicating with Somas... Carisoprodal is the generic chem... I can't afford to take 20+ brand name Somas a day, man. And I have been drinking... A lot. That causes it's own problems, as most drunks know.
I have to take hepatoxic doses of kpins to feel an effect, too. I have some fucked up neurochemistry that makes normal medication difficult. My doc thought I was lying when I told him what the Effexor was doing to me...
|
|
#5
 2002-07-09, 22:36
|
|
Regular
|
|
Downey California
|
|
Re: Serious question with serious drawbacks.
This looks like a situation handled. I personally dont have a problem with SSRIs Z3m. I use Paxil heavily when Im detoxing from both benzodiazepines and opiates. Then again you said you werent looking for answers.
I wish I could afford to take hepatoxic amounts of the pills you say you take. Unfortunately someone with a chronic ulcer condition has such limitations.
|
|
#6
 2002-07-09, 22:41
|
djsam 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Serious question with serious drawbacks.
Pardon my ingorance, bur whats MDD/GAD?
|
|
#7
 2002-07-09, 23:03
|
Z3m 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Serious question with serious drawbacks.
Eh, Lokil, I did a budget and found I'd go broke in 10 years even if I got the best paying job I think I could out of school... So it really isn't handled.
I'm thinking of just letting my doc give me benzos and deal with the psychotic symptoms... I've already been psychotic totally, so just a few symptoms wouldn't be as bad as the whole shebang.
MDD = major depressive dissorder GAD = generalized anxiety dissorder
I might not have either, just to complicate things... This could all be from ADHD which runs in my family... Damnit. Life is too complicated.
|
|
#8
 2002-07-09, 23:22
|
|
Regular
|
|
Downey California
|
|
Re: Serious question with serious drawbacks.
Perhaps you get depressed because you are anxious. Id try out Adderral XR only with a supply of benzos. If you wig out (from the speed) youd have a bailout (the benzos).
|
|
#9
 2002-07-09, 23:43
|
djnickysnowdawn 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Serious question with serious drawbacks.
Why dont u try Zyprexa? Its a great atypical neuroleptic and calms u down right to the core. Start at about 15 mg's and then if u see its working, work your way up. I am on 40 mg's and am not experiencing any unplesant side-effects usually associated with neuroleptics (tardive dyskenisia, etc). Give it a try. It will also take care of any psychotic problems u might have in a much more dramatic fashion than any SSRI's would. One thing, its way fucking expensive, try to get your doc to get u samples.
|
|
#10
 2002-07-10, 00:16
|
djsam 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Serious question with serious drawbacks.
Heh, I feel kinda foolish now, considering I have generalized anxiety, and about 4 other things, but all I got was some zoloft. But it works, so I shouldn't be complaining.
|
|
#11
 2002-07-10, 00:53
|
|
Super Moderator
|
|
Sebastopol CA
|
|
Re: Serious question with serious drawbacks.
quote: Originally posted by Z3m: Meta help me!
If I don't get home too too late [damn AC/BART: takes over 1 1/2 hours to go from Alameda to Berkeley], I'll start in on some inquires. If not then when I get back to work.
|
|
#12
 2002-07-10, 05:20
|
Z3m 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Serious question with serious drawbacks.
Good advice all...
Adderall makes shit worse, actually. I just like speed so I deal sometimes.
1 1/2 hours from Alameda? Holy shit, Meta. You live in North Berk?
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|