About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Vices > Better Living Through Chemistry
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Better Living Through Chemistry Discussions of any and all sorts of mind-warping chemicals, pills, booze, mind machines, trippy stuff, making beer, current street prices, importing pharmaceuticals, smart drugs, nutrients, herbs, and altered states. Please try to keep your conversations "theoretical" in nature, since this is an open conference.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-04-02, 03:02
Silent_Smoker Silent_Smoker is offline
Regular
 
Default Drug Question......

Hey this may be a stupid question but I would appriciate any help...
My doc. put me on zoloft and i smoke alotta weed and i take the zoloft and then smoke weed so will it highten the affects of the marijuana or will it have bad side effects or what ? thanks for any help

*Hits from the Bong*
"Later"
 #2 
Old 2002-04-02, 05:44
JCX JCX is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Drug Question......

They really shouldn't interact at all. Your high will be pretty much unchanged by the zoloft. theres really not too much that you can't mix pot with (nothing i know of off the top of my head). Have fun and smoke.
 #3 
Old 2002-04-02, 05:49
Silent_Smoker Silent_Smoker is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Drug Question......

Thanks alot for your help man.
Hey you posted about being busted for possesion a while back.So did you get any time or what?
 #4 
Old 2002-04-03, 05:41
medicineman medicineman is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Drug Question......

You may actually have an enhanced high. Zoloft blocks the enzyme of the Cytochrome P450 system that is responsible for breaking dwon cannabinoids (3A4). The result is higher levels of cannabinoids in the system. Although it is a low levels of inhibition, you may notice the effect.

 #5 
Old 2002-04-03, 06:30
kronikus kronikus is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Drug Question......

I've been taking zoloft for about a year, and unless you barely ever smoke weed, it won't give you an enhanced high.
 #6 
Old 2002-04-03, 21:21
Super Moderator
 
Sebastopol CA
Default Re: Drug Question......

I know that this doesn't add to the topic, much, but I still feel I need to say it:

F**k Zoloft!. I damn near died because of that crap. [Maybe it's ok if it's the right drug for you/your condition, but not if it's not.]
 #7 
Old 2002-04-04, 00:30
ryanthemeister ryanthemeister is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Drug Question......

Er...What the fuck is Zoloft?

Excuse my ignorance...
 #8 
Old 2002-04-04, 01:28
kronikus kronikus is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Drug Question......

Zoloft (Sertraline) is a Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor used as an anti-depressant.
 #9 
Old 2002-04-04, 03:42
Bongman Bongman is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Drug Question......

Tell us about it Meta.
 #10 
Old 2002-04-04, 04:47
JCX JCX is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Drug Question......

Hey, would effexor inhibit that enzyme at all? because when i was on it about a year ago (when i only smoked like 5 or 6 times a month) i noticed that the high just generally "felt better." Not stronger, it just felt better. Eh.
 #11 
Old 2002-04-09, 15:02
medicineman medicineman is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Drug Question......

quote:
Originally posted by JCX:
Hey, would effexor inhibit that enzyme at all? because when i was on it about a year ago (when i only smoked like 5 or 6 times a month) i noticed that the high just generally "felt better." Not stronger, it just felt better. Eh.


Yes, Effexor (venlafaxine) affects the same enzyme...mild inhibition.
 #12 
Old 2002-04-09, 16:10
SisterCrystal SisterCrystal is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Drug Question......

There should be no unpleasant or dangerous interaction between Zoloft (or any SSRI) and weed. Response to pot is very individualized, so the only way to know is to try it. Some people experience terrible effects from it while the rest of us enjoy a safe and pleasant buzz. Good luck.
 #13 
Old 2002-04-11, 03:09
Super Moderator
 
Sebastopol CA
Default Re: Drug Question......

I will tell about it, soon.
Right now, though [as you may have read in another post], I've gone off my lithium and am late in an extended cycle of a bi-polar roller coaster ride.
I don't want to take the chance that by re-visiting that episode I trigger a dip into the darker end of things.

As soon as one of my peaks coincides with being on-line [at a high peak damn near nothing will bring me down], or if I manage to jump off the train and get back on the lithium I'll fill you in.

Either way, it shouldn't be but a few days - one will happen by then.


Stay tuned...
 #14 
Old 2002-04-11, 19:43
kronikus kronikus is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Drug Question......

Effexor is fucked. I couldn't even go to the bar because I would get loaded from a couple beers.
 #15 
Old 2002-04-12, 04:21
Silent_Smoker Silent_Smoker is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Drug Question......

Well its been some time now and I've noticed a slightly increased high. But that could be on account of higher thc levels in the pot ive been smoking. Either way no terrible side effects. Thanks alot for the help and I look forward to hearing how zoloft almost killed you Metaphysicist. (not mean't in a bad way)

*Hits from the Bong*
"Later"
 #16 
Old 2002-04-13, 14:33
Super Moderator
 
Sebastopol CA
Default Re: Drug Question......

Well, it's 5:30 in the morning of my second day in this cycle [nope, I haven't convinced myself do go back on the lithium; though that last valley was not pleasent. I know the longer I wait the harder & worse things will be. But....]

Anyhow, I am at a point where telling [and thus living through] the events of that evening won't bring me down. On the other hand, I'm also at the point where I'm going to end up with a short story, I'm afraid.

I did tell this, and in a decent amount of space, in a thread sometime ago. I tried to look for it but this forum only goes back to the start of the year [just a month or two too short]. So I'm afraid you'll just have to get the unabridged version [on the bright side, in this version, you'll know everything.

Ok, here goes:

"Why I Hate Zoloft and how I almost died because of it�:

The initial situation/setting:

It�s the last 6 �12 months of my marriage. A few months back I was forced to leave work on disability [due mostly to the deterioration of the bone disease in my back. But also due in large part to disruptive mood swings]. My wife & I were fighting quite often. [The only time things had ever got physical was when my wife would get so frustrated that I could find and push her buttons yet she couldn�t do the same to me. At such times she would take a swing or two at me. I would always respond (always, and this is important to keep in mind later) by punching her in the arm as a reminder that we weren�t supposed to get physical in our arguments. Sometimes it was kinda of a hard punch; leaving a bruise on her arm. But it was always only the arm. However, being [mostly] non-physical, didn�t mean they weren�t some bad & violent fights � they could be and were; and they got progressively more so as that last year wore on].
Now granted a part of the reason that we were fighting more often and more intensely was the fact that I was out of work and we were going to lose our house. More of a cause though was that we were both doing speed quite often, which made her a lot more snappy. The biggest cause, however was my depression/mood swings [a couple of years after she left I came across a journal that she had been keeping that year. Reading it really made me think and review the way I had viewed it all � and I realized just what kind of hell I had put her through. I�m glad our daughter wasn�t old enough for it to be much of a memory]. One minute I would be ecstatic the next I was in tears [yes the speed didn�t help in this, but it wasn�t the cause. I had been doing speed, on and off, for years and that had never happened]. Of course I couldn�t see the mood swings; I just knew I was depressed � as I had been to some extent for years.
Seeing how bad things were getting my wife pushed, prodded & nagged until I agreed to see a marriage counselor with her. At the first session the counselor, based upon what was said, gave us both a test for clinical depression. A score of 8 or so was considered normal, while anything over 12 [if I remember right] was considered depression. My wife scored a 5 [or so]. I scored around 33. Thus being diagnosed as depressed, this counselor had me see a shrink. So I go see the shrink [mind you, this was all through Kaiser, that should go a long way in explaining the actions of the 'Mental Health Care Workers']. The guy read the report of the counselor and then he listened to me [for less than 10 minutes; more time was spent reading the report]. His conclusion: I was depressed � not manic-depressed, just plain old vanilla depressed. He gives me a prescription for Zoloft and says to see him in a month [I think it was a month � I never made it to whatever date it was].
So I started taking the Zoloft. Keep in mind, too, my bone disease. This was a cause [and still is] of a great deal of constant pain [which, even then, I knew added to the depression]. Since Drs., even back then, wouldn�t give me more than Motrin, I used whatever pain killers I could get my hands on; mostly Vics and such. I did tell the shrink I took Vics; I didn't want a bad reaction from mixed drugs. So they couldn�t have reacted with the Zoloft � he would have said something. Or so I would've hoped. I don�t know how much � if any at all � the speed did.

Ok, so that�s the background. I know it�s a lot, but I warned you that I get wordy [more so than usual] when I�m in a manic state�I tried to find an older thread in which I had told this story � in a much more compact form. No luck, though. Obviously.

The Event:

I was told to expect it to take a few weeks for the Zoloft to have any effect. But before two weeks had ended it could be felt. I wasn�t breaking down into tears anymore. Nor was I staying up days at a time [before, when I had used speed, I had only stayed up a day or two at a time. Those past several months it was more like 4 to 6, with a good 20 hours or more in between. That was the bi-polar, I know now. I stayed up 3 to 5 sometimes if I go off the lithium, no speed involved]. It seemed that my moods were just becoming one. And that one, more and more, was anger. I got mad and snapped at everything. My wife just started to stay out of my way [we had separate rooms by that point and I would just lock myself up in mine for long periods of time]. Neither of us had really seen that I was becoming this real angry guy � it kinda snuck up on us. One day, though, it all came to a head.
I don�t remember what it was that triggered it, I just remember that on this particular evening my wife decided that she wasn�t going to avoid me and/or let something I did/said go. We got into an argument. It got worse and worse. It got so loud that a couple of our friends, who lived a couple of houses down, heard us and came by just in case [it was nothing new to them; especially of late]. Damn good thing they did.
They came in, observed and waited [they didn�t try to intervene right off; they knew better with us and were just waiting for a good place to jump in and calm things down � as had been done many a time]. Sometime after they came in my wife had � once again � reach a point of frustration. She didn�t take a swing at me though. She knocked whatever it was I was working on off of my work table. Well, that did it; that set me off. I shoved her away from my table and hit her several times on the arm; over and over. For some reason, I�m still ever grateful for, even then I couldn�t bring myself to hit her in the stomach or face [not much of a consolation considering what came next, still though]. She backed away from me into the living room where our friends were. I followed, still taking punches. One friend started to say something. I rounded on her, my face totally flushed and red [I was later told]. She, too, backed away. I went to my wife again. This time she did swing at me [not to get a reaction this time, but in defense. Obviously]. This made me even madder. I remember that right then I was literally seeing black: everything had a black haze to it.
I charged my wife; pushing/throwing her to the couch. I then jumped on her and proceeded to put my hands around her neck and started to choke her. At this both of the friends jumped on me and dragged me off, forcing me into my room [to this day I couldn�t say what would have happened if they weren�t there. I�d like to think that I would have stopped on my own � I just can�t say. A thought that still give me chills; I�m not like that]. The other friend took my wife back to their place [thankfully, our daughter had slept through it all].
Not soon after the police came [other neighbors had called on us]. Nobody mentioned the choking [or any of the violence] but the police did insist that we both couldn�t stay at the house that night. So arrangements were made for my wife [and daughter] to stay at another friend�s house in Alameda. Once the cops were assured that my wife would be going, that she would stay next door until she was picked up, and that I was calm, they left.
The other friend had stayed with me. He ran up the street and got a bottle of Vodka [I used to drink quite heavily, but had stopped a few years back. It still took a good deal of hard stuff to have any effect on me]. He wanted me to mellow out more. To that end, he also gave me a couple of Valiums; and I took 4 or 5 Vics.
I did mellow out, and went right from mellow straight to depression. I realized what I had done � I couldn�t believe it actually � and went totally nuts over how I had screwed things up; naturally the tears began flowing freely again. My friend tried to help, but I would have no part of it. In my head things just got blacker and blacker [though I did not let that on to him]. I finally decided that what was needed was for me to kill myself. That would solve everything, I figured [at this point we had barely made a dent in the vodka bottle; so it wasn't the booze causing that thought]. I also knew that any move I might have made towards that end would be actively prevented by my friend. So I made plans around him; plans in which he could actually assist me without knowing it. As we [I should say �I�, he wasn�t really drinking] continued to drink I started to complain about pain in my back; more and more. I also started to act as if I was getting over things, while also acting the mellow tipsy part. After a bit I told him that the pain was getting too bad, and that I had no more pain killers. I talked him into calling another friend of ours [who sniffed heroin] to bring by some for me for my back [I had done it on occasion. only when the pain got real bad: it was bad enough being hooked to Vics and such, I didn�t want the full package deal]. He finally agreed.
When he went off to make the call I got into his Valium bottle and took another 10 or so [I didn�t want him to notice any missing or I would have taken more]. I also took the rest of the Vics I had [contrary to what I had told my friend, I still had 15 or so]. Then I saw the bottle of Zoloft, which was still mostly full. I took the whole bottle.
Finally the other friend came over and I sniffed [I think it was] � to a whole gram of heroin [that is, � to 1 gram of tar melted down and mixed with flour until it made a dough, which was then baked in an oven set at 100F and then turned to powder; it was a way my friend came up with to do tar. He didn�t want to use a needle and hadn�t yet figured out that it could be smoked]. I continued drinking, too.
At this point my memory starts to get fuzzy. I do remember that I lost control of my composure again and started crying my eyes out about what I had done, and how I had ruined everything, etc. I don�t remember if I actually came out and told them I what I had did, or what. I just remember being confronted with the empty Zoloft bottle and spilling the beans.
Needless to say they rushed me to the hospital. They told the ER people what I had done [not mentioning the heroin � just upping the amount of Vics (they thought)I had taken...
I remember being helped onto a table, given a shot of something and made to drink charcoal [nasty sh*t, let me tell you]. That was it for me for the next 30 hours or so.
I eventually woke up [which, I was told, was something they weren�t sure I would do or not] with several varieties of hangovers. I stayed there for most of another day, in and out of it. Finally I was coherent enough to go home. Before I could go home, though, I had to go through this crap about how I didn�t want to kill myself, and that it was all just an over reaction from the nights events, blah, blah, blah.
Things were never the same after that. If there was any saving of my marriage, that had put the last nail in the lid; even though she didn�t leave for 6 more months. Then,6 months after [u]she[/u] left I lost the house and became homeless. This was two months after I had had my neck broken and was in a halo and body cast [after all that had happened I still let a Dr. from Kaiser talk me into having this grand operation that was to straighten my back and get rid of a large fraction of the pain. What was I thinking? It was Kaiser! Naturally it didn't go as planned: Not only did it not straighten me and ease the pain, it left me partially paralized and it more than doubled the pain! - But that's another story].
I was also finally diagnosed as being bi-polar. I was prescribed lithium and, once the dosage was figured out, was finally set to [almost] normalcy..

So you can see why I hate Zoloft, and how it almost killed me. I am 100% certain that it was responsible for the state of mind I was in that led up to the events of that evening.

Sorry that this is so long. Like I said, I had told this story in an earlier post in much less [much much less] space, but I couldn't locate it.


Quite a wordy person, ain't I?


[This message has been edited by Metaphysicist (edited 04-13-2002).]
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics