|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Better Living Through Chemistry Discussions of any and all sorts of mind-warping chemicals, pills, booze, mind machines, trippy stuff, making beer, current street prices, importing pharmaceuticals, smart drugs, nutrients, herbs, and altered states. Please try to keep your conversations "theoretical" in nature, since this is an open conference. |
 |
|
|
#1
 2002-01-29, 19:28
|
SomeEverydayNobody 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Shroom Hunting
okay, on another forum i read of a guy and his friends going out into the forest or whatever and hunting for shrooms. ive never done or seen shrooms cuz i never really gave 2 shits. frankly if i wanna halucinate, ill pay the $5 for a hit of acid. anyways, i never imagined u could go out and just hunt away seeing as how i always remember that shit from when i was like 8 where everyone would talk about the poison mushrooms in the park. could've been b/s, but i still believe poison mushrooms exhist. hence i owuldnt eat anything from the forest.
so, has anyone ever doen this. how can you (without feeding them to a friend andmonitoring for either death or strange behavior) tell if they're the shit ur looking for? cuz this could be pretty damn profitable, and hell, free is better then the $5 u pay for acid!
|
|
#2
 2002-01-29, 21:10
|
madchemist 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Shroom Hunting
Well, if you ask me, I'd rather take the time to grow em or find em than pay $5 for a hit of acid cause I like the shroom trip so much more than an acid trip.
You can't expect to just go out and find em. You have to do a little research first. It also depends on what area you live in. Right now hunting for most of the country is out of the question. Go to www.shroomery.com and read up.
|
|
#3
 2002-01-29, 21:16
|
ACER 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Shroom Hunting
Happy hunting... http://www.erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/mushrooms.shtml
|
|
#4
 2002-01-29, 23:39
|
junglist 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Shroom Hunting
but you can just go out and hunt for them. some areas are better than other, but there is a variety of psychodelic shrooms just about everywhere. some are very hard to find though.
this dood has alot of questions that could have been answered with a little research.
Use A Fucking Search Engine
|
|
#5
 2002-01-30, 05:39
|
tryptamine 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Shroom Hunting
Get a good mycology manual(especially one that caters to the psychadelic set) and go out hunting. Pay attention to all the particulars take spore patterns if you have to, and even then do small dose experimentation first. With persistance you can be bringing in more mush than you can hope to consume between you and your friends. I've found the best areas in my region are those with very temperate rainforest areas(Vancouver area, Sunshine Coast, Vancouver Island). No such luck where I currently reside. All we have here is gourmet fungus.
I'm a mycophagist from way back and have been hunting mushrooms of all different species all over BC since I was wee. Long live Basidiomycetes!!
And on the northwest coast areas of the US and in some areas around Victoria and the lower mainland you can find the elusive Amanita Panthera, a totally different enthenogenic mushroom whose effects are very unlike the psilocin contaning fruits.
tryptamine out//
|
|
#6
 2002-01-30, 06:57
|
madchemist 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Shroom Hunting
Aaahhhh, tryptamine you are lucky. I hope to make a trip to the PNW one fall and pick some cyans. You can find more actives in your area than pretty much anywhere. Right now I'm stuck with crappy Southeast shrooms. Right now it's off season, but it's been pretty warm and we've been getting a lot of moisture so I do look forward to picking some Pan Subbs in the spring.
|
|
#7
 2002-02-01, 05:01
|
Mojo Pin 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Shroom Hunting
Anyone know any good spots for shrooms in the Adelaide Hills? I've heard Mount Lofty's pretty good...but..well, i can't say i've ever tried. Or that i really know what i'm looking for. I usually just stick with acid. SOme advice would be great here. thanks.
|
|
#8
 2002-02-01, 14:24
|
sircuss 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Shroom Hunting
does anybody got any huntin tips (i know it's not the right season) for the northeastern area? ny, ma, me, vt, etc..? as in, any particular regions in my region i might want to specificate on?
|
|
#9
 2002-02-02, 04:27
|
KLYSMO 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Shroom Hunting
All we do here is go to the cow pastures. Jump the fence and make sure the farmers arent around. Then we start picking! I dont know where you guys live but it stays pretty humid here so the shrooms grow almost all year. 
|
|
#10
 2002-02-03, 03:24
|
SomeEverydayNobody 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Shroom Hunting
there arent many cow farms in toronto (if any!) and right now i think its like -15 with the wind chill (thats hot for this time of year), so definitly no shrooms! i was more concerned with some summer fun. i live near some big forests, so thats why i got the idea.
|
|
#11
 2002-02-03, 17:41
|
junglist 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Shroom Hunting
yeah, i miss livin in florida. wed come home with a fucking trunk full of fungus.
|
|
#12
 2002-02-05, 04:57
|
madchemist 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Shroom Hunting
Yeah, about the farmers: This past weekend, I had made a trip to my pasture I usually go too. It had been real warm and rainy, and I wanted to see how good the feild was doing so I could guestimate when to come back for the Pan Subbs. I also look at some other fungi as clues to when the Pan Subbs will be in season.
I wasn't expecting to find any fungi life at all, just a brown barren feild as it was during our dry ass summer/fall. To my surprise, it was exceptionally green, and the grass looked really healthy. "That is a really good sign," I thought, as I began to walk across the feild. Also, more surprising was the fact that I found a few early Coprinus's in a few dung piles, hinting at an early season start (usually about the time the coprinus's are in full swing to dying off, the Pan Subbs in that feild are best for picking). I started to walk into the other part of the feild where I had always found most of my loot. I was a little paraniod at the time to cause I had been up all night doing what some people on this board would call "space trucking", and I suddenly heard a noise behind me. At first I was thinking "charging bull", and I turned around only to see a truck with a bale of hay on it driving through the feild toward me. I just acted nonchalant. He drove up to me and right and said "What are you doing?". I was like "Walking around" (stupid I know). He said "Are you supposed to be in here?". I said "I don't know" (lol, that makes me laugh now as I look back on it). He then just said "Ok well get out of here". I was like "OK", and started walking away. Then he asked me if there was anybody else in the field, I said "no just me". Then he told me to get out again and continued driving. I did as he said as I didn't want to cause any trouble.
Looking back on it, when I first came to the feild I was reluctant to go in because I saw weird cage like things around the feeders that are usually not there. Then dude must have set it up, and went back for the hay to add to it. And found me.
If I go back to that feild I'll have to be carefull. Which sucks. Other feilds around here are iffy, and this one was sure fire.
|
|
#13
 2002-02-06, 05:15
|
SomeEverydayNobody 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Shroom Hunting
from what i read to grow shrooms at home u have to be ultra sanitary. but it confuses me. shrooms grow on cow poop!? not exactly the most sanitary surface around. how come they dont get all moldy like it says in the text files. (well, it says they get moldy from dust and such, but whatever)
|
|
#14
 2002-02-06, 08:36
|
tryptamine 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Shroom Hunting
Situations in the wild are different from your home. In the wild there are billions of spores of every type vying for a niche. Poop is a good niche for these types of mushrooms, and less so for organisms that contam your home grown fruit.
Sanitary is a relative term.
|
|
#15
 2002-02-06, 21:45
|
madchemist 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Shroom Hunting
Mushroom cultivation really isn't that hard. I've grown a few succseful batches of cubes from multispore innocculation. However, after firts few flushes I always loose horribly to contaimination. In a month or two though I gonna try out my ol hobby again. This time I'm gonna get an ass of micron magic filters, and a pressure cooker, so my contams will be near zero.
|
|
#16
 2002-02-06, 21:49
|
madchemist 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Shroom Hunting
And about wild shrooms, I dunno how they can grow in unsterile conditions.
As for the ones that'll grow out of cow shit (which is only a very small percentage of magic mushrooms BTW), haven't you ever seen a fresh steaming pile of cow shit? Cows are huge animals that produce a lot of heat. When that shit first comes out it is like over 150 deg F. So it comes out pretty sterile.
|
|
#17
 2002-02-06, 23:01
|
kronikus 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Shroom Hunting
quote: from what i read to grow shrooms at home u have to be ultra sanitary.
Growing zoomers at home isn't as hard as they make it sound. Just takes a bite out of your wallet. As for hunting, man, I live about an hour away from T.O., and all our shrooms come from either out west (BC / AB) or out east (NS / NF). Either way, the most efficient way to trip would to just dose acid or grow your own if your gonna spawn alot of em.
|
|
#18
 2002-02-06, 23:37
|
tryptamine 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Shroom Hunting
kronikus: What do you mean bite out of your wallet? Growing shrooms is the cheapest thing I've ever even thought of doing. Going deluxe. -spores 80CAD (imported from US 3 syringes very exotic strains) -Terrarium 15CAD Big clear tupperware tub -misting bottle 4CAD -vermiculite, rice flour, bran, dextrose, birdseed, distilled h2o, etc 30-40CAD -jars and lids 15CAD -pressure canner (10 psi) 60CAD (all you need is 10 psi, you just need to sterilize for longer(45 min) never ever had any trouble with contams.)
Some of this stuff you don't even need or you can get it cheaper. Plus it is all I will ever need unless I want new strains, (which I can get by trading for free anyhow) It just gets cheaper and cheaper.
|
|
#19
 2002-02-07, 02:12
|
SomeEverydayNobody 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Shroom Hunting
and ide guess after u bought all the euiptment, all u need to keep doing is basically replacign the spores?
ive heard of the syringes and sheet, are the syringe ones mixed with water or something?
|
|
#20
 2002-02-07, 03:17
|
tryptamine 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Shroom Hunting
You never need to buy anything more than new vermiculite, flour, and other growing mediums. You can make your own spore prints/syringes from the mushies you grow. Or you can take tissue cultures or liquid cell suspensions for making new jars. There is a wealth of ways to do this. Some of the most interesting practical microbiology/mycology is done in peoples homes around the world.
I only wish there was such information on the web about propagating orchids and making orchid crosses, I love my Orchids!!
|
|
#21
 2002-02-07, 03:20
|
tryptamine 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Shroom Hunting
yes a syringe is a 10cc syringe filled with "spore water" just sterile water containing a chunk of spores from a spore print. One cannot stress enough that you need to be very meticulous when making your prints and syringes.
|
|
#22
 2002-02-07, 04:19
|
kronikus 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Shroom Hunting
Don't you have to control temperature and humidity also?
|
|
#23
 2002-02-07, 04:25
|
SomeEverydayNobody 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Shroom Hunting
how do u get the spores from ur shrooms when u do it? and also, what exactly is a pressure cooker? like, i know what it does and stuff, btu have enevr (knowingly) seen one. is it just a special pot u put on the stove, or is it a machine type thing like a bread maker? (no i dont think a pressure cooker is a bread maker, its just the best example for what i was aking)
|
|
#24
 2002-02-07, 07:05
|
madchemist 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Shroom Hunting
Mushroom cultivation is pretty easy. I've done it a few times (grew some P.R.'s and EQ's), but never got into real seriously. Although I've studied it extensively for about 4yrs from the shroomery and related sites (I still go to the shroomery, I have an alter ego there to). quote:
Don't you have to control temperature and humidity also?
Yeah, so? quote:
how do u get the spores from ur shrooms when u do it?
The best time for picking a cubensis is right after the veil breaks on it's own. After this the cap begins to spread out and become broad, and the mushroom begins to sporulate. If you let a mushroom or two grow until the cap becomes very flat, you'll start to notice a purple substance collecting underneath. These are spores. You get a knife, and a couple of pins, and serilize them with flame, and then with alcohol. Take a half pint jar, and put tape over the innocculation holes. Place the lide on the jar, but leave it loose. Wrap the top in tinfoil and boil the jar for 15-30 minutes in water. Then let cool and remove. Place a sterilized pin in each sporulating mushroom cap. Spray the hell out of the air around you with lysol. The remove the aluminum foil from the jar. Quickly open it, hold a mushroom cap by the pin, cut it with the knife, then quickly place the cap gills down into the jar. Close it. Spray more lysol, and keep doin it for each mushroom. ALso take a shower and put on clean clothes before you do this. Let them sit for about half a day, then spray more lysol, and remove them of course handling them by the pins only. Then quickly close the jar. Put the lid on tight. You should now have beautiful spore prints at the bottom of your jar. Inject sterile water in with a sterile syring, and shake it all around. Instant jar of spore solution. quote:
what exactly is a pressure cooker
A pressure cooker is normally just a thick metal pot you put on the stove. The lid is usually hinged on, and there is a rubber or cork seal. The lid is thick metal and sometimes has a pressure guage and spring loaded pressure valve. Other use rubber coated weights. Basically you just put a little water int it, your jars, then shut the lid and latch it. Heat it up till it boils. If it's the type with a hole and a weight, the weight must be heavy enough to support 15psi before it "jiggles" and starts letting steam escape. Get it hoter and hoter until it does jiggle, then keep it at this level for 45 minutes. Then let cool. You will have jars with a damn near 100% sterilization rate. The reason why is because the extra 15 pounds of pressure mixed with the high temperatures kills pretty much everything deep into the jars. Plus as the pressure rises, the b.p. of the water rises, getting higher temps.
|
|
#25
 2002-02-07, 09:01
|
tryptamine 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Shroom Hunting
Good info mad, I'd like to also say that 15 psi canners are usually very expensive, I use a 10 psi model and I just sterilize for longer times. I think a 10 psi canner get up to about 120 degrees wheras a 15 psi model is around 140? just of the top of my head, to illustrate why a pressure canner kills bacteria and spores more better than simple 100 degree boiling.
Go check out mycotopia before you settle into the shroomery, Mycotopia is the shit, and mushrooms really love shit!! www.mycotopia.net
|
|
#26
 2002-02-08, 03:38
|
kronikus 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Shroom Hunting
I found a great shroom kit for about $80, it's suposed to yeild about a pound of wet shrooms. Any thoughts if that is maybe an over-exageration? This thing is small, and looks like you could make yourself. But im too lazy to build one, and i can afford $80. Is this too good to be true?
|
|
#27
 2002-02-08, 07:54
|
tryptamine 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Shroom Hunting
What does it include? As far as i've seen most kits ussually over price ordinary items and it would be cheaper to buy it all locally and import the spores than to ship it all in the long run.
|
|
#28
 2002-02-08, 20:45
|
junglist 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Shroom Hunting
this guy knows what hes talking about. check him out. ive seen ppl do exactly as he says and end up with exactly what he says you will. http://www.shroomwizard.com/growguide.html
|
|
#29
 2002-02-09, 02:03
|
tryptamine 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Shroom Hunting
thanks junglist! I've never heard of the potting soil TEK.
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|