About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Vices > Better Living Through Chemistry
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Better Living Through Chemistry Discussions of any and all sorts of mind-warping chemicals, pills, booze, mind machines, trippy stuff, making beer, current street prices, importing pharmaceuticals, smart drugs, nutrients, herbs, and altered states. Please try to keep your conversations "theoretical" in nature, since this is an open conference.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-01-19, 01:21
axecrack axecrack is offline
Regular
 
Default LSD to brain, how'd I do that?

Need to know the specific neuro transmitters that acid affects, looking for info about electron transfers and what else may produce same efffect. Active ingredients in peote would be useful knowledge too, if its possible to extract it. Gotta trip again sooner or later, but no shrooms or cid to be found 'round these here parts. Of course, I could just eat a fuckload of hawaiian rosewood seeds for the lysergic amides, but I think I'd be rather ill.
 #2 
Old 2002-01-19, 04:00
tryptamine tryptamine is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: LSD to brain, how'd I do that?

Ahh Neurochemistry! My fave subject.

Well LSD affects the Serotonin receptors in your head. A system called the reticular activating system controls many parts of your thought and interprets sensory input. In this system there are many different areas called collaterals. It's been shown that LSD facilitates serotonin signalling between these collateral areas. This creates a flood of sensory input, thoughts, and understandibly changes the way you think while on LSD.

Drugs that act similarily to LSD are DMT(very short acting and more intense) Psilocin/cybin (mushrooms), Mescaline(longer than LSD only the very experienced would be able to tell them apart) and a few other rare exotics.
Mescaline is the main chemical responsible for the effects of Peyote. It is never found on the street these days and any body telling you they have done synthetic mesc. is probably lying. Yes you can extract it firom the cactus. If you are in the southern states you should be able to find a cactus called Trich... something go to erowid and look it up. This cactus can be bought at garden centers It grows faster is not illegal but you have to eat more of it.

Ha Peyote isn't illegal in Canada.
 #3 
Old 2002-01-19, 04:57
Chiz_Ace Chiz_Ace is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: LSD to brain, how'd I do that?

so do u need to goto a big garden center or what to get it, will any eye brows aries from your purchase?
 #4 
Old 2002-01-19, 07:27
tryptamine tryptamine is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: LSD to brain, how'd I do that?

Yes garden stores in certain places in the warmer states will sell the San Pedro(not peyote) cactus. No suspicion will be raised unless you give yourself away by asking or saying something stupid. They are used for ornamental(or landscaping) purposes.

Good luck! It is something I really want to try, I even have some Peyote seeds here in my drawer waitng to bee planted.
 #5 
Old 2002-01-19, 08:24
Saber X Saber X is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: LSD to brain, how'd I do that?

A real simple way to explain Mescaline is that when you are sober every thing you sense has already ben processed and filtered there is a whole lot you do not see consciously, when you take Mescaline on the other hand it stops sugar from entering your brain and lets you see things a little or a lot earlier (depending on dose) in the filtering process when less has been taken.


p.s. That's not the most technical way to put it for sure but at the moment I don't have the time to explain this thoroughly maybe later (just had a few gravity bong hit's of some lovely bubbleberry mmm.
 #6 
Old 2002-01-22, 17:31
sawmangler sawmangler is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: LSD to brain, how'd I do that?

quote:
Originally posted by Saber X:
(just had a few gravity bong hit's of some lovely bubbleberry mmm.


ok, what are "gravity bong hits" and WTF is "bubbleberry"?
 #7 
Old 2002-01-22, 17:44
quandary quandary is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: LSD to brain, how'd I do that?

quote:
Originally posted by sawmangler:
ok, what are "gravity bong hits" and WTF is "bubbleberry"?


dumb fuck
 #8 
Old 2002-01-22, 17:59
chase161 chase161 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: LSD to brain, how'd I do that?

if you want hallucinogenic affects try a shit load gravol i hear that works
 #9 
Old 2002-01-23, 01:54
boygenius boygenius is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: LSD to brain, how'd I do that?

a clarification on the mechanism of LSD...

LSD, DMT and psilocin are seratonin agonists (i.e. they bind to postsynaptic seratonin receptors). However they have been shown to exhibit inhibitory effects on signal transmission. So while stimulating postsynaptic receptors, they creating a negative feedback system which acts to inhibit presynaptic neurons. bufotenine and isoergine (LSA) also fall into this category.

The utility of this distinction is that all seratonin agonist are not the same... there are some that exhibit an excitarory effect on signal pathways, producing an entirely different effect. a-methyltrytamine falls into this category.
 #10 
Old 2002-01-23, 05:03
Mojo Pin Mojo Pin is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: LSD to brain, how'd I do that?

quote:
Originally posted by chase161:
if you want hallucinogenic affects try a shit load gravol i hear that works


Somehow son, i don't think you'd want to do that. You cannot compare the effects of gravol (dimenhydrinate) and LSD. They're totally different. LSD is fucking great, wheras gravol is nasty. I only do it when i get extremely desperate. Or when i feel like fucking with my mind and talking to people that aren'tthere all night. Oh, and when i want to feel hungover and shitty for the following 3 days.

In short, don't mess with it. It's evil.

 #11 
Old 2002-01-23, 05:22
madchemist madchemist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: LSD to brain, how'd I do that?

Hmmm, I wish people took the time to synthesize mescaline (which it is actually not hard at all IMHO, about as hard as making ketone and running the amalgum). I consider it to be OTC, starting from an easily obtainable precursor.
elemicin-----(isomerization)----->Isoelemicin
isoelemicin + O3----->3,4,5-Trimethoxybenzaldehyde
3,4,5-TMB + nitromethane--(amine catalst)-->3,4,5-TMNS
3,4,5-TMNS----(Zn,HCl)---->mescaline
 #12 
Old 2002-01-23, 06:25
tryptamine tryptamine is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: LSD to brain, how'd I do that?

Boygenius: take my advice from the other post and stop your fucking tech-talk, I doubt you actually understand the mechanism further than you cut and pasted from some textbook. You should go back and reread my post.

It basically in laymans terms floods your head with thoughts and sensory inputs that shouldn't be there. Think about your last trip; it sometimes seems like a milion thoughts a second are pouring through your head, your brain can't think the same, and your senses are out of wack, sometimes even crossing over into other senses.

You didn't clarify anything with what you said. You actually made little sense and promoted some kind of theory. Bottom line almost nothing is known as to how psychadelics affect the brain. No agnost nor any of the substances mentioned cause an outright inhibitory effect on serotonin receptors. The subtle diferences in the way these drugs affect one are caused by the areas in which they act.

Curiously alpha-MT also because of it's amphetamine chain has a speed effect as well.

Back into the lab...
 #13 
Old 2002-01-23, 06:29
tryptamine tryptamine is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: LSD to brain, how'd I do that?

mad:
Elemicin isn't cheap but damn I wish more people were into synthing M as well. I saw somewhere that an allylic side chain could be oxidized by KOH in alcohol into a benzaldehyde. I don't have the ref but... Also something like permanganate should also work, using ozone is just a complexity issue with me. The rest is all good.
 #14 
Old 2002-01-23, 06:47
boygenius boygenius is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: LSD to brain, how'd I do that?

trytamine,

nice flame. read my other posts and venture a guess as to what i do for a living.

peace out
 #15 
Old 2002-01-23, 08:11
tryptamine tryptamine is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: LSD to brain, how'd I do that?

Are you a prof, a pharmacologist, a researcher? Why does your post sound like universityspeak?
I really don't think it matters what anyone does for a living. I mean I'm a student but I support myself by falling trees, and planting them yet I could currently comfortably take over my chem profs job without a stitch.

You are a BOY genius? What does a boygenius do for a living, hasn't been doing it for long if he's still a boy.

I'm sure you are one intellegent individual but flabbergasting people with tech talk helps noone, if you seek praise, earn it.

I've met more intellegent people on this board that I ever have at University and I really hope I meet many more, you will probably be one of them.
 #16 
Old 2002-01-23, 08:13
tryptamine tryptamine is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: LSD to brain, how'd I do that?

Or are you a doctor?
 #17 
Old 2002-01-23, 09:30
boygenius boygenius is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: LSD to brain, how'd I do that?

tyrpt,

*formulation chemist / process engineer for medium (not big or small) pharma. you wont see me popping off on the synth jock stuff.

*im not a boy. and apparently not a genius hehehe. is that some kind of double neg?

*so far you are my favorite poster. we apparently share a love for neuro-psycho-pharmacology-chemistry. or whatever you want to call it. (mine was born from a class i took at berkeley from some crazy dude named sasha shulgin)

*i relate as i understand it, or as it has been related to me. not to dispute your (or anyones) post nor your intelligence, but to add information to the thread. there are obviously a great deal of intelligent people here.

 #18 
Old 2002-01-23, 09:44
boygenius boygenius is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: LSD to brain, how'd I do that?

"Bottom line almost nothing is known as to how psychadelics affect the brain."

the brain as a whole, no. one can say that about most any psychoactive. however, there are some things we know. for example, that chemicals that similarly affect synaptic behavior (mechanistic theory) have been shown to have similar clinical effects.

"No agnost nor any of the substances mentioned cause an outright inhibitory effect on serotonin receptors."

you are very correct.

i think though that you must find that this mechanism quite interesting: as it is not a common mechanism, nor are the effects of psychedelics in the pharmacology =)
 #19 
Old 2002-01-23, 11:22
tryptamine tryptamine is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: LSD to brain, how'd I do that?

True. Sorry if I came across as abrasive before, I can get touchy, but after I get to know someone, 'sall good, I'm easy.

I'd bet that synth jock stuff wouldn't go over well for one in your position. A pharm company, pretty trick! Tabletting machines and actives and all sorts of cool stuff I'd bet. And Alexander Shulguin that's pretty amazing! Someday soon I'm going to try and meet him(quite a challenge as far as distance goes), he is probably the brightest star in my life. I really admire everything the man has done, I am trying to get some of his older papers right now, and i just (tonite) watched him on a show on CBC, totally wicked.

Yup I'm going to do some more reading between classes tommorow on neurochemistry of some actives, I might be missing something. However there isn't much in this crappy library we have here. Oh what I'd give to be back at UBC. (that is where my interest in neurochemistry and my subsequent love of chemistry came from) a book called Neuropsychopharmacology actually.

Well it's late, bye.


 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics