About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Vices > Better Living Through Chemistry
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Better Living Through Chemistry Discussions of any and all sorts of mind-warping chemicals, pills, booze, mind machines, trippy stuff, making beer, current street prices, importing pharmaceuticals, smart drugs, nutrients, herbs, and altered states. Please try to keep your conversations "theoretical" in nature, since this is an open conference.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2001-01-06, 09:08
madchemist madchemist is offline
Regular
 
Default Alcoholic woes

Whats the deal with fermentation? I made a solution with sugar, yeast, and apple juice from conc. and for weeks nothing happened. Now it's bubbling and releasing CO@ like crazy. Why the tremendous lag?
 #2 
Old 2001-01-07, 23:58
Frey Grimrod Frey Grimrod is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Alcoholic woes

Hmm mabye the temperature slowed the growth of the yeast population, or possibly some other factor. Did you just dump the yeast in cold turkey or did you put em in a seperate solution to get em going first then dump em in?
 #3 
Old 2001-01-08, 10:29
madchemist madchemist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Alcoholic woes

I just put it all together, but the temp of the water was at least 80f. Cause I know cold water will inhinit it, so I made it warm on purpose. I Also used tap water, maybe the chlorine did something?
 #4 
Old 2001-01-08, 16:08
neur0t0xicity neur0t0xicity is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Alcoholic woes

i dunno shit about ferm. but my grantfather has his own whine ferm. setup....
he grows and makes whine...
and i know that the place the ferm. takes place is a cool place, and its not supposed to get hot,
so... hoped this helped.
 #5 
Old 2001-01-08, 23:35
Frey Grimrod Frey Grimrod is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Alcoholic woes

Dood theres some good articles on booze here on the site go check out some of the ones on stills they might help. WAIT now that I look back at your post the apple juice from concentrate may have sumthing to do with it man. Oh never mind it was apple juice from concentrate not just concentrate. Well it seems to be working right now but in the future you may want to just try distilled water with sugar dissolved in and then yeast after it cools. Oh yah water can be too hot and kill yeast but 80 degrees doesnt sound bad probably about perfect. Iv heard higher temps like 90 degrees can inhibit growth though. And another tip if you can invest in brewers yeast wont die off till the concentration of alchole is much higher its been engeniered to survive better in alchole. Oh yah and one last thing grow wine!??!?! J/K I know what yah meant.
 #6 
Old 2001-01-09, 03:27
~slowguy ~slowguy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Alcoholic woes

I met an oldtimer moonshiner from Arkansas in a Federal Penitentiary once. I thought that was a thing of the way past. He described how the stills were made with copper tubing etcetera, and other junk parts and I was amazed that these people were still alive after drinking that stuff. Back in the old days they used tio call FEDS who are 'sniffing out' moonshiners 'Revenuers' or Revenue Agents (Alcohol Tax Laws)
I don't know what they call them these days- scumbag parasites I suppose, or 'Dead'. that is a very good name for them.

Nowdays it takes a qualified Federal *chemist to sniff out a moonshine still, or an illegal winery, etc., and send the violators to a Federal Penitentiary

I don't drink alcohol at all, or make it, so I can't help out the ->madchemist<-

 #7 
Old 2001-01-09, 04:18
Frey Grimrod Frey Grimrod is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Alcoholic woes

Yah a still is mad easy to make in general kinda like a bong in my opinion like once yah got the concept down your like whoa I can make a bong outa that or in this case a still. Moonshine dontcha have to run that through activated carbon a few times to try and get all that blindness causing dubass causing stuff out?
 #8 
Old 2001-01-09, 07:23
madchemist madchemist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Alcoholic woes

Actually, the blindness dumbass stuff is methanol, and is caused by alcohols made with fruits that are high in pectin. It can be removed by distillation, cause it boils at a lower temp than ethanol (i.e. fractional distillation). Methanol is also the cause of hangovers. Thats why cheap alcohols (the ones who dont take time to remove it) give you the worst hangovers.
 #9 
Old 2001-01-09, 08:52
rxrgood4u rxrgood4u is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Alcoholic woes

hey there people...i belive your problems could be from excess sugar...and it is taking a while for the yeast culture to ferment it....you added sugar to the already high sugar content of apple concentrate...btw...Its not only from pecton ..ethanol turns into methanol when it is in contact with any other metal besides copper...so stills should be made from glass,or copper only...and the solder should be aluminum I belive..not totaly sure..i know i made posts in the past about it...under homeade alcohol..i also gave links to a complete brewing setup..that has detailed pdf files on still making....
 #10 
Old 2001-01-10, 01:24
Frey Grimrod Frey Grimrod is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Alcoholic woes

NO NO NO well aluminum solder might work but I dont recall every hearing of its existence unless its the regular lead solder. Use silver solder for all joints where heat is present anywhere after the condenser screw the expensive shit and go back to regular. I do assume your planning to distill this down a few times to make it good grade and then mabye mix it with other drinks to make less potent than say 157 proof.
 #11 
Old 2001-05-31, 09:25
Regular
 
Downey California
Default Re: Alcoholic woes

...
 #12 
Old 2001-05-31, 09:46
dankgirl420 dankgirl420 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Alcoholic woes

Hey Mad, sounds like what your tryin to do what ppl use in jail. They use real fruit though, like apples and oranges. Just a tiny bit of juice. But I'm telling ya it's real nasty. Ppl say it's so nasty. They do this in jail cuz they have no choice. You do. You can get the shit at the store and not ferment fruit.
 #13 
Old 2001-05-31, 18:21
othium othium is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Alcoholic woes

I know a guy that makes moonshine, he used to sell it to anyone who wanted some but after he got busted he just makes it for himself but I think he is selling it again because people have been talking about his moonshine lately.

apearantly he makes really good stuff.

------------------
fear is your only god!
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics