About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Vices > Better Living Through Chemistry
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Better Living Through Chemistry Discussions of any and all sorts of mind-warping chemicals, pills, booze, mind machines, trippy stuff, making beer, current street prices, importing pharmaceuticals, smart drugs, nutrients, herbs, and altered states. Please try to keep your conversations "theoretical" in nature, since this is an open conference.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2000-10-28, 17:12
neur0t0xicity neur0t0xicity is offline
Regular
 
Default serotonin from Vitamin C?

Is it true that Vitamin C raises the level of serotonin, or is this just a rumour?

Is it tue that Vitamine C prevents (to a certain extend) neurotoxicty cause by mdma, or is this a rumour aswell?
 #2 
Old 2000-10-28, 17:42
Synthorcist Synthorcist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: serotonin from Vitamin C?

L-Tryptophan is converted by the enzyme trypophan-5-hydroxylase into 5-hydroxytryptophan and then into 5HT by the liver. I can't see any reason why Vitamin C would increase levels of the enzyme.
Neuronal damage from MDMA (5HT-2 neurons that is) has been shown to be reduced by preloading with SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) anti-depressants prior to ingestion. Prozac (fluoxetine) is the most commonly available. I'll look out some refs...
 #3 
Old 2000-10-28, 23:50
neur0t0xicity neur0t0xicity is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: serotonin from Vitamin C?

thnx

i though that it couldnt be true.
many people take vitamine c everyday, say it improves they x experience and makes them feel a bit "happyer" each day aswell.
They say if you sleep alot, take enough Vitamin C and take 5HTP, you feel much better on x when you pop.
Some guys claimed that the C thing is because C increases serotonin, which is not really believable and, as i now know, not true.

the only thing that does increase serotonin level is 5HTP.
ive heard alot about that, yet never tries it...
does anyone know where to get this though?
 #4 
Old 2000-10-29, 18:14
TheOtherSide TheOtherSide is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: serotonin from Vitamin C?

Isn't the damage caused by the seratonin overload? I would think more seratonin would mean more damage but I could be wrong. Preloading your body with seratonin does increase the effects. I used 5-htp with pretty good results. You have to start loading up early in the day though. Taking some 5-htp during the come down seemed to make it a bit better. Never heard anything about vitamin c.
 #5 
Old 2000-10-29, 21:12
neur0t0xicity neur0t0xicity is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: serotonin from Vitamin C?

where do you get your 5HPT from?
whats the product called? cause i wanna have some.

ps. i think you can just take 5HPT without taking x, it will make you feel a better as well
 #6 
Old 2000-10-30, 06:18
TheOtherSide TheOtherSide is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: serotonin from Vitamin C?

You can get it at the dietary supplement section. It's called 5-htp. If not you could order it from mbe or jlf. I also have a friend with several lbs of pure 5-htp and quite a bit of 20% 5-htp extract. I don't think he's got it up on the site yet but you wanted a considerable amound I'm sure he could give you a better deal than the other places.

Taking it by itself probably would make you feel good but nothing spectacular. Just because there is more seratonin doesn't mean it will get realeased any faster. At least that's what I think. I've never taken it by itself.
 #7 
Old 2000-10-30, 07:41
Regular
 
Downey California
Default Re: serotonin from Vitamin C?

I buy my 5-htp at the local GNC, but it's pretty expensive. $30 for 30 pills of pure pharmacological grade. Don't do what I did I took it after I rolled with Paxil. SSRI anti-depressants (Paxil, Prozac) block serotonin from being re-absorbed and 5-htp makes more serotonin; I had to pull over and vommited my brains out...Could have been worsr though you could get serotonin syndrome; want a coma? I heard that SSRI's 4 to 7 hours after you stop rolling will prevent neurotoxic damage. (At least in rats it did)As for Vitamin C it's supposed to get the "residue", if any, of the MDMA out of your veins. But 5-htp does make you feel better, it can be used as a sleep inducer and if you take it before a meal it can prevent binging.
 #8 
Old 2000-10-30, 15:16
neur0t0xicity neur0t0xicity is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: serotonin from Vitamin C?

thank alot

5htp it is!
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics