About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Vices > Better Living Through Chemistry
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Better Living Through Chemistry Discussions of any and all sorts of mind-warping chemicals, pills, booze, mind machines, trippy stuff, making beer, current street prices, importing pharmaceuticals, smart drugs, nutrients, herbs, and altered states. Please try to keep your conversations "theoretical" in nature, since this is an open conference.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2000-10-10, 18:55
Dyler_Turden Dyler_Turden is offline
Regular
 
Default Kolbe electrolytic synthesis

Has anyone here tried anodic heterocoupling using an amino acid and acetic acid?

 #2 
Old 2000-10-14, 18:25
Synthorcist Synthorcist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Kolbe electrolytic synthesis

No, not yet as I can't afford the platinum...
But I know where you're going and I wonder if you've got any ideas on how to filter apart the 2 products (other than the ethane, CO2 and hydrogen)?
 #3 
Old 2000-10-16, 16:03
Dyler_Turden Dyler_Turden is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Kolbe electrolytic synthesis

The dimer will be virtually twice the size & mass of the hetero-coupled product and I'm assumnig this will result in significant difference in boiling points.

Potentially vacuum distillation.

There might be a solubility difference between the two as well. In that case with a few washes you should be able to determine what works best for the two products in question.

In all honesty, I'm leaning toward indoles with this idea. However, d,l-phenylalanine could result in another interesting molecule.

Do you know the reasoning or the logic behind the Pt anode?
I mean Pt is often used in anodes simply due to it's excellent corrosion resistance, then again as I'm sure you know, Pt often displays catalytic properties.

If the Pt is just there for corrosion resiatance than i'd think graphite could be used as a substitute.

If the Pt was just acting a catalyst I wondered if you could do just add a piece of Pt monlith to the necessary reagents in beaker and microwave it. My logic for this is that; when you dry distill phenylacetic acid with calcium acetate it forms phenylacetone. It's a destructive distillation, I beleive it's based upon Krafft degradation.

Microwaves are said to exert the phenomena of super heating. So my curiosity falls somewhere between the Kolbe & Krafft. Would the carboxylic acid acetate salts loose CO2 if they were superheated in the presence of a Pt catalyst, and if so, would a coupling between molecules occur?

 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics