About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Vices > Sex and Affection
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sex and Affection Anything and everything about sex and relations. Please try to keep this forum on-topic, since things tend to wander a bit. Search through old topics before posting a new one, as questions get repeated a lot here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-10-07, 19:56
Spiffy McBang Spiffy McBang is offline
Regular
 
Default I'm back, if anyone missed me.

But if not, that's ok. Anyway, these last few days prompted a question which also lets this be on topic, which is good, since having to move my own post would make me fairly stupid.

I believe, as do many of you, I'm sure, that if you're going to be in a relationship, you just go with the flow and whoever you happen to click with. It's usually self-defeating to search for certain kinds of people. But I'm curious- in your own personal experiences or those of the people around you, do you notice more couples who act very much alike, or who are like night and day? If you've seen enough to judge it, which ones seem to work out the best, last the longest, and/or leave the parties involved happiest?

Keep in mind, when I say how they act, I don't mean the way they think- most couples will share interests- but their attitudes, demeanors, and personalities.
 #2 
Old 2002-10-07, 22:28
Regular
 
somewhere up there
Default Re: I'm back, if anyone missed me.

Where did ya go? Did you get sick of us?
 #3 
Old 2002-10-07, 23:02
Spiffy McBang Spiffy McBang is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm back, if anyone missed me.

Actually, I went to Jersey for five days to help a friend move and watch her grumble or verbally bitchslap her fiance when he talked down to her (which was far too often).
 #4 
Old 2002-10-07, 23:04
Tooth Fairy Tooth Fairy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm back, if anyone missed me.

quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy McBang:


I believe, as do many of you, I'm sure, that if you're going to be in a relationship, you just go with the flow and whoever you happen to click with. It's usually self-defeating to search for certain kinds of people. But I'm curious- in your own personal experiences or those of the people around you, do you notice more couples who act very much alike, or who are like night and day? If you've seen enough to judge it, which ones seem to work out the best, last the longest, and/or leave the parties involved happiest?
.




By far, more who act alike, to a certain degree. Especially if they've been together for a fair time. I think it's somewhat inevitable that the habits, behaviour and attitude of each partner rubs off on the other over a period of time, so eventually, they becone more alike.
In my experiences the night and day thing, makes for a rollercoaster, and is harder to sustain. I think people tend to be more content when with someone who behaves in a similar fashion.
It sort of goes back to the opposites attract thing. Yeah they do, and it can make for great sex, but for the long haul - IMHO - doesn't work. It's better to be with someone with whom you can be great friends as well as have great nooky.
Obviously, there are exceptions.

Having said that, there are cases where people can be too much alike in certain areas. For instance, if you have two extremely stubborn people, that can make for fireworks.

[This message has been edited by Tooth Fairy (edited 10-07-2002).]
 #5 
Old 2002-10-08, 00:10
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: I'm back, if anyone missed me.

I missed you Spiffy. You should have told me you were in NJ, I could have stalked you.

I think that in working relationships the couple tends to act similiarly. Even if they don't act like each other in the beginning, if they are close they will assimilate certain characteristics of the other. For example, an outgoing person can go out with an introvert but in order for the relationship one of them needs to change. Opposites are good because they bring out new qualities in their boyfriend/girlfriend.

On the other hand, what interests someone has isn't too important (in my opinion/experience). My best relationship was with someone who was the night to my day considering their interests, but that was good because we got to play off each other's likes and dislikes.

Difference is okay as long as both parties are willing to compromise.

Like Tooth Fairy said, think about who you are friends with and why and find those qualities in an attractive woman and you're set.
 #6 
Old 2002-10-08, 00:41
TheSell0ut TheSell0ut is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm back, if anyone missed me.

What I've noticed:

Most relationships involving two people exact opposites shareing only one thing in common(such as being annoying, insecure idiots) usually break up within a few months.
If they are both really stubborn it can last for a few years.

Most relationships where one person is insecure tends to be broken up by the secure person(because she infact is a liar and a bitch).

People who share the same interests and zealously seek to obtain the same goals seem to work out the best.

Of course I'm mostly drawing this from my own past relationships(hence the expletives above).
 #7 
Old 2002-10-08, 07:58
stormybaka stormybaka is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm back, if anyone missed me.

Welcome back spiffy.

In my experience it seems to vary somewhat. There doesn't seem to be a combination that works better...But currently I am a sceptic on relationships and have a fear of committment...
 #8 
Old 2002-10-08, 11:27
Moderator
 
The fine line between genius and madness
Default Re: I'm back, if anyone missed me.

It realy depends on the couple, but I seem to notice more couples that are like each other. It took me years to find someone as weird as I am, and no one else would date me.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics