About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > General > Spurious Generalities
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Spurious Generalities This is the general discussion and chat forum. People can discuss just about anything they want to in this area, providing it doesn't fit in one of the other forums and provided that it will bring conversation to the thread.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2003-01-31, 09:56
Moderator
 
Wasilla, Alaska
Default Chess

Does anyone still play chess, the old fashion way with a board and pieces and stuff?
 #2 
Old 2003-01-31, 10:10
no_affiliation no_affiliation is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chess

You know I've been wondering the same thing. If anyone knows where to get a board and pieces and stuff please post the info, as I am looking. I would love to revive this beautiful art.
 #3 
Old 2003-01-31, 10:27
Regular
 
Default Re: Chess

chess is very much alive, i myself plays regularly and i play for school's A team. i attend some tournments quite alot of people show up, dont get me wrong im not a nerd or something, i play rugby and am 6 foot tall so i feel special when i turn out to chess games in my jersy. oh yea does anyone fancy a game of chess? games.yahoo.com then click on chess quite ALOT of players there.


Hurricane
 #4 
Old 2003-01-31, 11:02
MrOblivious MrOblivious is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chess

you can buy chess boards all over the place. if you think chess is an art though you might want to get a marble chess board. they can be pretty expensive though and are probably harder to find than a cheap crappy plastic one like mine.
 #5 
Old 2003-01-31, 11:19
Moderator
 
Wasilla, Alaska
Default Re: Chess

Thanks for the feedback. I imagine FOA Schwartz (sp?) or Neiman Marcus would have awesome chess sets--BudK has fairly cheap but, well, a tad gaudy sets. I was inspired to ask when I checked the games category and was shocked to see it was all video-type stuff. I love chess, never enjoyed the computer variety, but haven't played since I was in jail, which was five years or so ago and a whole nother story.
 #6 
Old 2003-01-31, 11:50
Lenin Lenin is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chess

I play sometimes with my friend....which is actually everyday.He is the only person I just can not beat.
 #7 
Old 2003-01-31, 19:52
KamikazePimp KamikazePimp is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chess

I'd like to set up a human chessboard in my friends backyard one of these days. I call king!!!! Any other volunteers?


 #8 
Old 2003-01-31, 20:23
pyro918v pyro918v is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chess

i only play chess on the computer now, not many people around here that im friends with play chess.. and the ones that do, suck at it.
 #9 
Old 2003-01-31, 21:30
Obelisk1125 Obelisk1125 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chess

It's a lot better playing chess with a real person vs. one over the computer. The look is geat when you beat them.

 #10 
Old 2003-01-31, 22:04
no_affiliation no_affiliation is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chess

quote:
Originally posted by MrOblivious:
you can buy chess boards all over the place. if you think chess is an art though you might want to get a marble chess board. they can be pretty expensive though and are probably harder to find than a cheap crappy plastic one like mine.


That is very nice, thank you, Sir Oblivious.

 #11 
Old 2003-01-31, 22:27
Chunkmiester Chunkmiester is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chess

code:

+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
8 |*R*|*K*|*B*|*K*|*Q*|*B*|*K*|*R*|
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
7 |*P*|*P*|*P*|*P*|*P*|*P*|*P*|*P*|
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
6 |:::| |:::| |:::| |:::| |
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
5 | |:::| |:::| |:::| |:::|
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
4 |:::| |:::| |:::| |:::| |
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
3 | |:::| |:::| |:::| |:::|
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
2 |"p"|"p"|"p"|"p"|"p"|"p"|"p"|"p"|
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
1 |"r"|"k"|"b"|"k"|"q"|"b"|"k"|"r"|
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
a b c d e f g h



Anyone wanna play? *K* is Black, "k" is white....

I'll go first:

code:

+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
8 |*R*|*K*|*B*|*K*|*Q*|*B*|*K*|*R*|
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
7 |*P*|*P*|*P*|*P*|*P*|*P*|*P*|*P*|
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
6 |:::| |:::| |:::| |:::| |
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
5 | |:::| |:::| |:::| |:::|
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
4 |:::| |:::|"p"|:::| |:::| |
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
3 | |:::| |:::| |:::| |:::|
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
2 |"p"|"p"|"p"| |"p"|"p"|"p"|"p"|
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
1 |"r"|"k"|"b"|"k"|"q"|"b"|"k"|"r"|
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
a b c d e f g h



[/Chunk]
 #12 
Old 2003-01-31, 23:12
XXXTREME XXXTREME is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chess

I wish I knew how to play chess.

Any ideas on where to learn? Where did you learn?

XXX
 #13 
Old 2003-01-31, 23:28
Sagewisher3 Sagewisher3 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chess

quote:
Originally posted by Chunkmiester:
code:

+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
8 |*R*|*K*|*B*|*K*|*Q*|*B*|*K*|*R*|
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
7 |*P*|*P*|*P*|*P*|*P*|*P*|*P*|*P*|
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
6 |:::| |:::| |:::| |:::| |
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
5 | |:::| |:::| |:::| |:::|
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
4 |:::| |:::| |:::| |:::| |
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
3 | |:::| |:::| |:::| |:::|
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
2 |"p"|"p"|"p"|"p"|"p"|"p"|"p"|"p"|
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
1 |"r"|"k"|"b"|"k"|"q"|"b"|"k"|"r"|
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
a b c d e f g h



Anyone wanna play? *K* is Black, "k" is white....

I'll go first:

code:

+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
8 |*R*|*K*|*B*|*K*|*Q*|*B*|*K*|*R*|
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
7 |*P*|*P*|*P*|*P*|*P*|*P*|*P*|*P*|
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
6 |:::| |:::| |:::| |:::| |
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
5 | |:::| |:::| |:::| |:::|
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
4 |:::| |:::|"p"|:::| |:::| |
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
3 | |:::| |:::| |:::| |:::|
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
2 |"p"|"p"|"p"| |"p"|"p"|"p"|"p"|
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
1 |"r"|"k"|"b"|"k"|"q"|"b"|"k"|"r"|
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
a b c d e f g h



[b][/Chunk]
[/B]


The board is made wrong. I'd love to play, just telling you in case it affected your first move.
 #14 
Old 2003-02-01, 00:08
LordJugz LordJugz is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chess

There are too many cheaters on Yahoo. Everyone I play does the SAME MOVE. I mean EXACTLY. And they always take about 30 seconds to a minute to make their move. Why? They have a nice little program running in the background. They play as the opponent, and watch what the comp does.
 #15 
Old 2003-02-01, 00:26
Moderator
 
Wasilla, Alaska
Default Re: Chess

My dad taught me to play when I was five, by the time I was seven, he stopped playing me 'cause he rarely if ever won. There are many good chess books out there, probably lots of info on line. The books I learned on, though, are like 40 years old and probably out of print and/or obsolete.
 #16 
Old 2003-02-01, 00:29
Sagewisher3 Sagewisher3 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chess

obsolete?

EDIT: I can't believe I had a spelling error in a one-word post.

[This message has been edited by Sagewisher3 (edited 02-01-2003).]
 #17 
Old 2003-02-01, 00:48
ronin_sof ronin_sof is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chess

I still play chess everyday. My dad and I have a board set up in the dinning room where whenever we have time we go and make our move. I also play speed chess every once in a while with my friends. I played chess in High School, but that got boring, because after my grade 9 year, the only person who could match me graduated. in grade 11, I got 2nd in a city competition, and 5th in the province (Saskatchewan). I stopped playing tourniments after that, because the competition level just sucked the fun out of the game. Oh, and ArmsMerchant, I'm not sure how a chess book can become obsolte.
 #18 
Old 2003-02-01, 00:58
Regular
 
somewhere up there
Default Re: Chess

Search on google for tutorials. Also, go to www.yahoo.com and sign yourself up for the games. The Chess population there should keep you occupied for quite a while.
 #19 
Old 2003-02-01, 01:01
Moderator
 
Wasilla, Alaska
Default Re: Chess

On this obsolete business--obviously, the rules don't change. But strategy does. When I learned, you NEVER developed your queen during the opening game, you opened with king or queen pawns, developed bishops and knights, then castled. The last time I played, it was against a young guy who brought out his queen on like the third move--he whipped my ass, game after game. I daresay that super-conservative openings like the Caro-Kann Defense are probably passe these days.
 #20 
Old 2003-02-01, 03:32
ronin_sof ronin_sof is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chess

Older strategies don't really go out of fashion. While new ones keep coming out, you should keep learning the old ones anyways so you are prepared incase someone who knows the old ones uses them against you. If you know them, you can counter them fairly easily, but if you only study the new strategies, you'll be caught off guard.
 #21 
Old 2003-02-01, 10:23
Deathrow588 Deathrow588 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chess

quote:
Originally posted by ArmsMerchant:
Does anyone still play chess, the old fashion way with a board and pieces and stuff?


I CAN and i USED to be very good, but i havent played in a while.
 #22 
Old 2003-02-01, 13:52
Chunkmiester Chunkmiester is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chess

quote:
The board is made wrong. I'd love to play, just telling you in case it affected your first move.


You are right actually- that took me ages to do as well- what i meant was:
code:

+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
8 |*R*|*K*|*B*|*Q*|*K*|*B*|*K*|*R*|
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
7 |*P*|*P*|*P*|*P*|*P*|*P*|*P*|*P*|
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
6 | |:::| |:::| |:::| |:::|
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
5 |:::| |:::| |:::| |:::| |
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
4 | |:::| |"p"| |:::| |:::|
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
3 |:::| |:::| |:::| |:::| |
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
2 |"p"|"p"|"p"|:::|"p"|"p"|"p"|"p"|
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
1 |"r"|"k"|"b"|"q"|"k"|"b"|"k"|"r"|
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
a b c d e f g h



And no, it doesn't affect my first move. I didn't really expect any one to play anyway.

[/Chunk]
 #23 
Old 2003-02-01, 15:39
JohnSmith JohnSmith is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chess

Yes, I still play old-fashioned Chess. I've been playing Chess once a day, almost every day, with my father since I was twelve.
 #24 
Old 2003-02-01, 16:09
Sagewisher3 Sagewisher3 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chess

If anyone wants to play a game of chess where the opponent isn't cheating (LordJugz was absolutely right) why don't you list your pogo/yahoo game account and we can all set up a lil tourney or something.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics