About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > General > Spurious Generalities
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Spurious Generalities This is the general discussion and chat forum. People can discuss just about anything they want to in this area, providing it doesn't fit in one of the other forums and provided that it will bring conversation to the thread.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2003-01-04, 17:05
Regular
 
Default Family history.

Or otherwise titled; Why I was born in a hick town in northwest ohio instead of sunny south california.

My great grandpa was an poor imigrant who wanted to move to california from new york during the gold rush in order to strike it rich. So my grandpa took the train to california, had a stop in ohio to only find out that he did not have enough money to complete the trip.

So my grandpa who was young, strong and handsome settled down with a woman who had bad eyesight and crooked teeth (who was also a daughter of a rich farmer.) and became a farmer. He wanted this woman because he wanted to marry into money but his father-in-law did not like him so when the father-in-law died, he left all his money to a distant counsin instead of my great grandpa.

So whole generations after wards had to suffer being stuck in Northwest Ohio, bad eyesight and crooked teeth (thank god for dentists.) all because the git got too greedy and was too poor to make it to california.


Tell us something about your family history.


 #2 
Old 2003-01-04, 18:02
afi_rule afi_rule is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Family history.

Yer my grandad thinks we own manhattan some how. I'm from england adn hes meant to be realted to robert edwards (or something like that, ill check in a minute)like hes my grandads great*a lot grand dad
 #3 
Old 2003-01-04, 18:15
Syntex Syntex is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Family history.

I have no idea.. All I do know is I am a relative of Alexander Hamilton.
 #4 
Old 2003-01-04, 20:42
Regular
 
Default Re: Family history.

quote:
Originally posted by Syntex:
I have no idea.. All I do know is I am a relative of Alexander Hamilton.


What about your present family? I had a cousin who went out to california with a friend, his friend ditched him, so he had to hitch a ride all the way back after being homeless in San Frisco for month. He played his gutiar on the streets to survive.
 #5 
Old 2003-01-04, 20:43
Regular
 
Default Re: Family history.

quote:
Originally posted by afi_rule:
Yer my grandad thinks we own manhattan some how. I'm from england adn hes meant to be realted to robert edwards (or something like that, ill check in a minute)like hes my grandads great*a lot grand dad


What does Robert Edqards have to do with owning manhattan?

 #6 
Old 2003-01-04, 20:46
pyrus pyrus is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Family history.

meh my family came from russia then some how we managed to get to canada...
 #7 
Old 2003-01-04, 20:57
Regular
 
Default Re: Family history.

quote:
Originally posted by pyrus:
meh my family came from russia then some how we managed to get to canada...



HAve you been to russia yet for the sake of finding out your roots?
 #8 
Old 2003-01-04, 21:05
Black_Chi Black_Chi is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Family history.

We came from Russia too. My mom's parent's parents came over in like 1870 something and settled down in Philadelphia. I'm not sure about my dad's parent's parents. I don't think i'd go to Russia to look for my roots. All my family over there is probably dead anyways.
 #9 
Old 2003-01-04, 21:08
czakkyy czakkyy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Family history.

u.k miners, and soliders here. Not from britan though, as no true british have black hair. Never bothered to find out where i am from.
 #10 
Old 2003-01-04, 21:12
afi_rule afi_rule is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Family history.

quote:
Originally posted by gombowlzombie:
What does Robert Edqards have to do with owning manhattan?




9by the way i drunk so excuse the spelling)

I think he brought it off the indians or somethings ill ask my granddad. All i know is hes in the middle of courtcase about who should inheirit the money that he left. Any way my grandddad told me that we could never own manhattan because of todays laws and all the buildings that have already been built. Sweet imagine all the dope and beer in manhattan in theory in should be mine.
 #11 
Old 2003-01-04, 21:20
ebeneezer goode ebeneezer goode is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Family history.

my great grandad was a bare knuckle fighter, my grandma has loads of stories about him, usually ending in bloodshed.
he had 13 kids and most of them ended up in the merchant navy during the war.
 #12 
Old 2003-01-04, 22:26
Regular
 
Default Re: Family history.

quote:
Originally posted by Black_Chi:
We came from Russia too. My mom's parent's parents came over in like 1870 something and settled down in Philadelphia. I'm not sure about my dad's parent's parents. I don't think i'd go to Russia to look for my roots. All my family over there is probably dead anyways.


Dont you ever read national geographic? Most of the people who live beyond a century come from the Russian country side.


Some of your relitives might be alive and kicking.

[This message has been edited by gombowlzombie (edited 01-04-2003).]
 #13 
Old 2003-01-06, 05:53
Moderator
 
The fine line between genius and madness
Default Re: Family history.

One of my great-grandfathers was an Italian imigrint who was an explosives engineer in the virginia coal mines. His son (my grandfather) was an electrition, as is my dad, and my brother is an aprentice. 3 generations of electritions, it must be genetic.

My grandmother was a nurse in WWII, very cool.

My mother makes jewelry.

Many of my aunts and uncles on both sides of my family either work for Ford or GM.

Going back a little further, my great-great-grandmother was a pureblood Chipewa. And aparently I have an ancestor that came over on the Mayflower.
 #14 
Old 2003-01-06, 07:45
Regular
 
Default Re: Family history.

quote:
Originally posted by Prometheus:
One of my great-grandfathers was an Italian imigrint who was an explosives engineer in the virginia coal mines. His son (my grandfather) was an electrition, as is my dad, and my brother is an aprentice. 3 generations of electritions, it must be genetic.

My grandmother was a nurse in WWII, very cool.

My mother makes jewelry.

Many of my aunts and uncles on both sides of my family either work for Ford or GM.

Going back a little further, my great-great-grandmother was a pureblood Chipewa. And aparently I have an ancestor that came over on the Mayflower.



You too? I had a realitive who came over on the mayflower.

 #15 
Old 2003-01-06, 08:21
Agent Boris_KGB Agent Boris_KGB is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Family history.

woo boy....The post I am going to write is going to be one long assed post....But I must try and get the snow off my car and go to school...I will come back and edit later...
 #16 
Old 2003-01-06, 13:15
Alykorn Alykorn is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Family history.

My family came from Norway(on my moms side) my dad's side of the family came from Hungaria. Somehow my mom went from New Jersey to Montana and met my dad and *poof* I was born. My family history is so messed up because my grandmother has been divorced about 5 or 6 times(I lost count) So I am unsure where and how many people I have in my family in Montana. My mom moved to Texas and dragged me kicking and screaming down to this hellhole with her. The rest that are left up there are/were in the Montana militia(they had a standoff with part of the gov't in '93 or '94) and she didn't want me around that so we moved.
Now I am married to an Irishman, so there is no telling how screwed up our kids are going to be(if we have any).
 #17 
Old 2003-01-06, 13:54
tested tested is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Family history.

my grandpa shot a bunch of nazi's as a sniper in the second world war.thats all i know, and i have a real luger, he ripped off some dead nazi and gave to me.very pimp.
 #18 
Old 2003-01-06, 14:20
Regular
 
Date Registered Nov 2002
Default Re: Family history.

my grandpa dies in a jewish concentration camp. It is a very sad story, he fell of his sniper tower in a revolt!
 #19 
Old 2003-01-06, 17:44
Chunkmiester Chunkmiester is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Family history.

quote:
my great grandad was a bare knuckle fighter, my grandma has loads of stories about him, usually ending in bloodshed.
he had 13 kids and most of them ended up in the merchant navy during the war.


On my dad's side (from Liverpool but originally, many generations ago, Dublin) practically all the men were merchant navy men. During the 2nd World War my great grandad was a munitions officer on a cargo ship that went from liverpool to ireland and back, he barely had to do any work and from what he told me it seems that the gunners fired less than 50 rounds in the entire war aboard that ship. Considering where some men were posted my grand dad got it easy and he always felt guilty that he wasn't really "in" the war.

Back in upper school i had to do a project on my family history for a humanities class- i managed to trace my dads side back to my great (etc) grandma who was a seemstress in the feudal ages, her son became a well known tailor and for generations all of my dads family were tailors and somehow they adopted there trade as our family name. I also found that one of my great (x8) grand dads was shot for being in the IRA (not when it was terrorists, when it really was the Irish Republican Army). On my mothers side i managed to trace back to a lord in the 1600's. He was a total money waster and by the time of his death the family was in real trouble, so they sold all there assets and slowly became farmers. If it wasn't for that stupid man i would have been part of the upper gentry- oh well.

-Chunk
 #20 
Old 2003-01-06, 17:51
Neovoodoo Neovoodoo is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Family history.

I am related to an apparently famous explorer.

Mungo Park anyone?
No i didn' think that anyone would know of him. I didnt either until it was explained to me by my parents.

To cut a long story short, he explored a lot of Africa and, as legend has it, was eaten by a crocodile.

I, however, have no idea how much of this true. I do know that there is a statue of him in his home town of Selkirk, on the border between Scotland and England.
 #21 
Old 2003-01-06, 17:54
qwerty316 qwerty316 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Family history.

on my dads side is inteligence mixed with skitzophrenia.. they are all rich.. physco everyones after them ppl.. and i am a bastard child ( i am 18 now) only lived with my mom and no child support and very very poor to this day.. theratened to be kicked out.. adn umm my great or great great grand faTHER came from dublin durng that great depression they had,, BUT on a good note.. the very first person,, with my last name was teh last pagan lord ,, he was royality. oh back in the 1500-1600s not sure when,, grr, i am so so sad and depressed, i am in a college libaray surronned by ppl i know..

but they are not my friendsas at alll
 #22 
Old 2003-01-06, 19:00
punkrawkerstonershit punkrawkerstonershit is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Family history.

My family is Czech on my dad's side. We are from the town of Melinik. A couple years ago i went to the Czech Republic with my parents.

I am Irish from my mom's side of the family.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics