About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > General > Spurious Generalities
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Spurious Generalities This is the general discussion and chat forum. People can discuss just about anything they want to in this area, providing it doesn't fit in one of the other forums and provided that it will bring conversation to the thread.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-12-14, 13:55
stormybaka stormybaka is offline
Regular
 
Default Request and a Test....

Okay a while ago I asked for my nick to be changed but I didn't hear anything about that and I remember comments saying that I was worried about losing my post counts, actually I just didn't want multiple accounts and was being annoyed by someone under my previous nick...But the point is that I believe that post counts don't matter and quality is better than quantity. The whole newb thing is exaggerated and taken too seriously. Lighten up.
Firstly: I request my post count to be taken back to zero...
Secondly: The test: for those who spouted the comments "that they don't care about post counts" or anything similar I would be curious how many would go back to zero post counts as well.
 #2 
Old 2002-12-14, 15:52
rlpinca rlpinca is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Request and a Test....

If my post count was reset to 0 and my registered date was reset to today, I wouldn't really care. Requesting it is useless though because jc and root don't really care. They have other shit to do.
 #3 
Old 2002-12-14, 16:32
stormybaka stormybaka is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Request and a Test....

You are most likely right on that. There are more important things to do than change nicks and post counts. But I was just curious of the general reaction and thoughts on the subject were.
 #4 
Old 2002-12-14, 18:39
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: Request and a Test....

It's different for you since you're a moderator. People know to respect you and that you have intelligent things to say. In general a higher post count would mean you have more dedication to TOTSE and are either an intelligent person or at least not stupid and random. Of course there are people that post tons of stupid things and get their post count up to 400 in two days, but it's not usually that way. And of course there are people like SpaceFalcon that can generate thoughts and sentences but still say stupid things.

I've definitely grown since I first started posting. My count and date implies some intelligence, whether you want to think so or not. I think you also have a want to read posts by respected, well posted members. I agree though that at its basis the post count means nothing. I care and don't care about post counts at the same time. It's just as stupid to not read a post because of a low post count as it is to take someone with a high post count as intelligent just because of their post count.
 #5 
Old 2002-12-14, 18:41
Sagewisher Sagewisher is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Request and a Test....

Did you just say that people assume that a higher count of posts corresponds to credibility? I hope that isn't the case, it surely isn't for me.
 #6 
Old 2002-12-14, 18:55
Regular
 
Default Re: Request and a Test....

It wasn't for tr0g either. He amassed over 1000 posts and was still a fucktard.
 #7 
Old 2002-12-14, 19:01
stormybaka stormybaka is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Request and a Test....

Well I'd be lying if I was to say all my posts are noteworthy or always on an intellectual or mature basis, but I generally have tried to post only when I know what I am talking about or have something to say. (Except for the odd spam I have posted through stupidity on my behalf.)
xenosss: See your point though. But don't quite agree with all of it.
If you avoid low post counts, they actually may have something valid to say. And some of the people with high posts are spammers and not really worth reading. But it varies on post counts and whether you are respected or not. People will make up their minds and opinions will vary but as I have heard If you were to leave tomorrow it's not like people will say where did ... go and this is a faceless medium.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics