About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > General > Spurious Generalities
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Spurious Generalities This is the general discussion and chat forum. People can discuss just about anything they want to in this area, providing it doesn't fit in one of the other forums and provided that it will bring conversation to the thread.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-12-13, 15:48
Sagewisher Sagewisher is offline
Regular
 
Default The south will rise when now?

In 11th grade I took a a sociology course where a liberal teacher dared us to violate a social norm. (she suggested singing loudly at lunch in front of the student body; I had a slightly more productive idea.)

The jist of it (note that I went to highschool in northern CT) was that I wanted to find out if people still held a grudge against the ol'e stars and bars.. So I decided the easiest way to figure it out was to wear a confederate-flag beach towel as a cape. Just to make it obvious that it wasn't a racist plot I wore an anti-racism T-shirt under the cape.

Fifteen minutes into my first class the vice principal comes rushing in to see if the rumous were true. To his dismay, they were: Hitler lived. So I was hustled down to the office and reamed, with exadurated complaints that "almost 30 kids came to me offended thismorning before school" Since I hadn't seen more than 10 before I made it to class (running late) .. wow, that was not important.. anyway, The question I pose here is: Did he have the right to stop me from wearing my cape? (public school, connecticut, .. over 100 years after the civil war)
 #2 
Old 2002-12-13, 16:53
Certijal Certijal is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The south will rise when now?

I don't know if they have the right to stop you but that was a cool experiment.

What I normally to is scream made up words at people I don't know or walk backwards all day. Sometimes I'll be sitting alone and say "Stop talking to me!" and freak people out. I know someone who hugs strangers but I'm to chicken/sane to do that.

The social norm around my group of friends is non-existent and most people I meet act unexpectedly. How much longer will there be a social norm? I think the only place you'll find socially normal people are at a high class country club but they are stuck up losers so they don't count.

Down with normality!
 #3 
Old 2002-12-13, 18:38
SomeEverydayNobody SomeEverydayNobody is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The south will rise when now?

Did your mommy never give you the attention you craved Certijal?
 #4 
Old 2002-12-13, 20:26
Vidimidi Vidimidi is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The south will rise when now?

Normality sucks.

But if your different you suddenly become an outcast from society. Why can't everyone just learn to love one another no matter how they look?

I'm shouldn't be one to talk. I probably criticize more than anyone else. I'll never step out of normality. Or will I?

 #5 
Old 2002-12-13, 21:04
pink spid3r pink spid3r is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The south will rise when now?

I have always been a akward child. I will talk in different accents in public places, and to people who barely know me. I have different characters that I act out aswell.
 #6 
Old 2002-12-14, 08:27
Moderator
 
The fine line between genius and madness
Default Re: The south will rise when now?

Demand the names of those who were offended.

Fantastic experiment.
 #7 
Old 2002-12-14, 10:47
Regular
 
Default Re: The south will rise when now?

very good indeed. i mean its not like u wore a nazi flag, southern flag can be wore by all in my opinion.
 #8 
Old 2002-12-14, 22:04
Regular
 
Monkey Island
Default Re: The south will rise when now?

SAVE YOUR CONFEDERATE MONEY BOYS! THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN! hahaha
 #9 
Old 2002-12-14, 23:10
HomerJay603 HomerJay603 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The south will rise when now?

I don't think anyone has the right to stop you from wearing a racist cape. That is censorship. Censorship is bad.

!!!!!VOTE LP!!!!!

Homer
 #10 
Old 2002-12-14, 23:17
Regular
 
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Default Re: The south will rise when now?

man, if you lived in scotland youd be fucked. if you came into my college with an english flag as a cape, youd get fucked over. wear a rangers team strip though the wrong area of glasgow, and get yourself kicked to shit.
 #11 
Old 2002-12-14, 23:24
Squarepants Squarepants is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The south will rise when now?

I live in Alabama, everybody wears Confederate flag capes here...

Anyways, it's just a flag, I can't identify with people who complain about the damned thing all the time, they just don't make any sense. Everybody knows it's not a racist symbol, it's a redneck symbol... if anyone wants to wear it on a shirt or glue it to their pickup or wave it in front of their casa-on-wheels or whatever let em go for it, meanwhile "the South will rise again!" is one of the most ignorant phrases I've ever heard... I can imagine 2 million 21st century Confederate soldiers marching toward the US capitol... "Mr. President, there are fat men throwing beer outside."
 #12 
Old 2002-12-15, 00:26
Super Moderator
 
Sebastopol CA
Default Re: The south will rise when now?

Students [from High school down] have an amzingly low level of rights when it comes to school and school rules.

Yes, the principal had every right to do what he did.

That's not to say that I think that it was right, just that he had right.

Did you tell him that you were just doing something a teacher asked?
 #13 
Old 2002-12-15, 01:12
Sagewisher Sagewisher is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The south will rise when now?

The way it panned out was that I went into school that day completely aware of what would happen; the school handbook said something about the administration's right to deem clothes [in this case] unacceptable.

The sociology teacher was unaware I was doing this. I thought she would feel obligated to stop me (if she knew.) I asked the principal to meet with me at lunch that day so we could have a chat/debate about it. :

As usual, I was impressed with the stance he took when we met. If his aura could be put into words it would sound something like, �you�re a kid, you know shit, be quiet.� He was so obtuse and rude in some of the comments he made to me that I couldn�t counter with anything but �you�re an idiot� which I kept to myself. The two remarks he made during our meeting were that:
1.If I liked the flag so much (he said it like he though I liked the pretty colors and pattern) I should try and organize a club to promote it.
2. If I liked capes, I should buy a real one and not wear a beach towel.


[This message has been edited by Sagewisher (edited 12-15-2002).]
 #14 
Old 2002-12-15, 08:05
Regular
 
umm that place near that other place
Default Re: The south will rise when now?

ha great expirement. heh in my school i bet if i wore a cape with a fleur de lee? on it id get womped nicely.

ha anyone ever gone on vacation to a big tourist place and played tourist tag? its great
 #15 
Old 2002-12-18, 00:10
Regular
 
If she's easy, take'r twice.
Default Re: The south will rise when now?

man, my friends and i are probably the strangest of the school. probably the strangest class to ever be in the school. we have our own version of double dutch, called ER. its like this: herler, her ber yer derin terder? translates into hello, how are you doing today? and yer can be used as any kind of yes or positive remark. never use it much anymore though. we always talk about assfuckin people, but were not serious. anyone that would listen in on our convos would think we were a bunch of perverted homosexuals. ill get rotten_logs to read this.
 #16 
Old 2002-12-18, 00:54
CRaZyAmishMaN CRaZyAmishMaN is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The south will rise when now?

quote:
I know someone who hugs strangers but I'm to chicken/sane to do that.

one of the most interesting things is to see the reaction you'll get. [or pretend you're a "close talker"; same idea.]

social norm? liberal quakers don't have much of a social norm, besides being [shivers] quakerish.

as for the principal: he can do that

[and i bet it's written into your school rules, along the lines of:
apparel cannot
-distract others' learning
-draw attention to a part of the body [ie: belly shirts, miniskirts, ect]
-contain provocative pictues, explicit words, or anything obsene]

two years ago our bastard pricipal started expelling kids because their jeans rode too low.

needless to say, these were the children that were [wiggers] "dealing" drugs.
though some "innocent" kids got suspensions and detentions for disobeying.

[i pulled my pants down for that last half of the year and didn't get any attention ... oh well.]
 #17 
Old 2002-12-18, 01:01
SATURNROCKETX SATURNROCKETX is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The south will rise when now?

Your all like girls trying to be outrageous or outraged. Don't you realize how you look talking about your gay-ass anti-racist t-shirts and there are still morons in the North who think there is a goddamn bit of difference between THEIR inadequences and the inadequencies of Southerners. Get a clue. Your experimenting to see if you understand the world and the answer is "hell no". Read http://www.FAEM.com and stop being gay.
 #18 
Old 2002-12-18, 01:14
A_M_P A_M_P is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The south will rise when now?

quote:
two years ago our bastard pricipal started expelling kids because their jeans rode too low.

Oh the humanity! Shit, if they did that in my school I'd go insane with bordom. What's left to live for if you can't even check out the girls bending over at their lockers? You poor bastard.

[This message has been edited by A_M_P (edited 12-18-2002).]
 #19 
Old 2002-12-18, 01:17
Nyk Nyk is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The south will rise when now?

Heh, wait until you get to college...
 #20 
Old 2002-12-18, 01:21
Sagewisher1 Sagewisher1 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The south will rise when now?

quote:
Originally posted by SATURNROCKETX:
Your all like girls trying to be outrageous or outraged. Don't you realize how you look talking about your gay-ass anti-racist t-shirts and there are still morons in the North who think there is a goddamn bit of difference between THEIR inadequences and the inadequencies of Southerners. Get a clue. Your experimenting to see if you understand the world and the answer is "hell no". Read http://www.FAEM.com and stop being gay.


The experiment set to prove that there was no actual fear/hatred/stereotype against the confederate flag (that the flag wasn't representative of any such quailties to anyone.)

I concluded that, in this instance, people bore no negative opinion of the flag; only the administration assumed that it would elicit a controversy and was obligated to shroud it.

I kept a log of everything people said while I had the cape on, the responses were similar to what one would expect if a "common person" in "usual clothes� came into high school wearing anything that attention-grabbing. (Long-winded for-- no association with racism.)

Don't call people gay, you idiot.
 #21 
Old 2002-12-18, 01:52
eXtacy eXtacy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The south will rise when now?

there will always be racist people and also those who feel "offended" by those who are racist

everyone has there own opinion, although most of the ones who feel "offended" should just look past that stuff

 #22 
Old 2002-12-18, 02:04
Sagewisher1 Sagewisher1 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The south will rise when now?

No one is debating that.
 #23 
Old 2002-12-18, 02:36
Moderator
 
Facedown in the shag rug.
Default Re: The south will rise when now?

Many schools have policies regarding clothing with flags. They can punish you for what you did. You, of course, have the right to take them to court and claim that your constitutional rights have been violated. Don't expect to win, though.
 #24 
Old 2002-12-18, 02:45
Regular
 
Downey California
Default Re: The south will rise when now?

You left so much information out, that it's almost lame. Is ita private or public school? Since you live in the ultra-liberal New England region of the country, they may and probably have district laws that you may have violated.

If you feel strongly about this issue (but let's be real, you couldn't give a fuck), you could ask for a distrcit hearing and they have the right to refer to their own policies that were in place even before you entered their school dictrict.

You lose.
 #25 
Old 2002-12-18, 02:48
Certijal Certijal is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The south will rise when now?

quote:
Did your mommy never give you the attention you craved Certijal?
My mom rules. What does that have to do with anything? I don't do anything for attention, I do everything for fun. Try freaking someone out, you'll never go back.
 #26 
Old 2002-12-18, 03:00
Sagewisher1 Sagewisher1 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The south will rise when now?

It was not an anti-racism demonstration; it was an experiment. I thought I had made that clear by calling it an experiment throughout, but apparently not. If you'd like a complete assessment with all pertinent details I'll post it, but it's painfully long to read and I thought that a thousand words on such a small experiment would bore everyone.

Do I "give a fuck" about racism? Not really, to each his own, freedom of speech? Surely. Do I understand it's a violation of regulations? Yep.

Should I say one more time that it was not a rally/protest/movement/ect?

[Edited for Legibility.]

[This message has been edited by Sagewisher1 (edited 12-18-2002).]
 #27 
Old 2002-12-18, 06:37
Regular
 
Antipodes
Default Re: The south will rise when now?

lol, I'd get shot if I tried something like that with a nazi flag, my school is in the middle of Jew land, lol
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics