About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > General > Spurious Generalities
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Spurious Generalities This is the general discussion and chat forum. People can discuss just about anything they want to in this area, providing it doesn't fit in one of the other forums and provided that it will bring conversation to the thread.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
This particular thread is a partial recovery - page 1 of its original capture was never archived, so some posts from that page are missing below.
 #1 
Old 2002-12-08, 17:06
Diseased Camel Diseased Camel is offline
Regular
 
Default Atheism

quote:
Originally posted by MyUsername:
If someone decides for themself that they are atheist, I belive it works best if you don't tell the whole world. Atheism is not caring about a God or believing in one. If you don't care about a God, then don't care talking about it. If someone asks what religion you are, just say that you are NOT religious. But don't stand up and say "I am an atheist! And yes, I am PROUD of it." Don't make a big deal out of it. Why should you defend something you don't believe in?


Atheism is a faith. It's a faith in nothing. You should proud of your beliefs, no matter what they are.

If you can't bring yourself to be proud in what you belief in, then why do you belief in it?

If you say that Atheists should never preach their beliefs or lackthereof, then you NEED to also say that all other religions should never preach their beliefs.

You can't give all other religions the right to be proud and then restrict Atheism of that same right because of what they do or don't believe in.

 #2 
Old 2002-12-08, 19:22
JoeSchmoe JoeSchmoe is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Atheism

See, my biggest problem is that almost everyone I bring it up to thinks its wrong, why would it be? I mean, I'd think its a lot better than some theory of an almighty one sent down from God to save us. How do we ever know there was a Jesus? We're just taking someone's word for it.
 #3 
Old 2002-12-08, 19:46
bodhi_bint bodhi_bint is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Atheism

I'm an Agnostic but also a Buddhist...which some people do not accept because to them it can mean no faith. To me it means no belief in a God, or rather the belief in God is irrelevent.

Anyway, I know how it feels to be persecuted against for being in the minority. I'm very interested in Religious studies and in my class I am the only non-believer. Try not to take it to heart and retaliate back at them though; I guess in most people's cases they've ever been brought up that way or are trying to help you in their own way of thinking. Later on people realize that you're not just going through some silly phase and that it doesn't necessarily make you a bad person.

My only advice is to just stay calm, collected and follow your own rules. Over time the people close to you will open their minds enough to realize it's just a part of who you are.
 #4 
Old 2002-12-08, 22:11
ebeneezer goode ebeneezer goode is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Atheism

i used to have this crazy jewish girlfriend who tried to get me to become a jew.
she thought that because i am an atheist i was open to any god.
she would get more and more worked up when i tried to explain that it was my choice not to believe in anything.
needless to say, we didn't last long.
 #5 
Old 2002-12-08, 23:40
Kiafi Kiafi is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Atheism

Atheism - The path for those who have no convictions.
 #6 
Old 2002-12-09, 01:26
JoeSchmoe JoeSchmoe is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Atheism

The school called here tonight and asked my parents what I do at home. Its weird that they're getting into this so much, I'd think it happens all the time. I've been going to a catholic school all my life, and the more I go there, the more I want to learn about other things.
 #7 
Old 2002-12-09, 01:34
Diseased Camel Diseased Camel is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Atheism

JoeSchmoe, I really think that you should study up on the arguments against Christianity and its branches and one day challenge one of your professors.

Imagine the look on his/her face when you clearly make your point and destroy all of his/hers.

Develop a good thesis, anticipate their points, write your responses, go kick some ass!
 #8 
Old 2002-12-09, 01:50
Regular
 
Monkey Island
Default Re: Atheism

Be an atheist, but don't pretend to be a religion at the same time.
 #9 
Old 2002-12-10, 03:54
Moderator
 
The fine line between genius and madness
Default Re: Atheism

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the pagan religons? I personaly find that Wicca has a lot more common sence to it than the Catholic/Christian/Jewish beleif system does. Mainly because the C/C/J religons have been hevily influenced by politics, while Wicca and other pagan religons are more influenced by nature.
 #10 
Old 2002-12-10, 18:56
Armed&Angry Armed&Angry is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Atheism

During paganism's heyday, it WAS politics. The idea of separating church and state was introduced in the later stages of the Roman Empire, primarily by the first Popes forcing the Emperor to acknowledge their authority. I'd say that Christianity, Islam, and Judaism have been far less political than their polytheistic predecessors.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics