About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > General > Spurious Generalities
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Spurious Generalities This is the general discussion and chat forum. People can discuss just about anything they want to in this area, providing it doesn't fit in one of the other forums and provided that it will bring conversation to the thread.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-11-26, 03:19
Regular
 
Monkey Island
Default UBB Vrs HTML

UBB is simple, but why can we not use HTML as well? Who thinks we should have this at the side when posting?

*HTML is ON
*UBB Code is ON
[IMG] UBB Code Not Allowed!
Allowed HTML:<b> <i> <a> <em> <br> <strong> <blockquote> <tt> <li> <ol> <ul>

Would be nicer I think.
 #2 
Old 2002-11-26, 03:24
Wintermute Wintermute is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: UBB Vrs HTML

HUGE gaping security risk..
 #3 
Old 2002-11-26, 03:25
Forum Administrator
 
Columbus Ohio
Default Re: UBB Vrs HTML

quote:
Originally posted by SpaceFalcon2001:
[B]UBB is simple, but why can we not use HTML as well?B]


Why? Its just more work for the admins, with little possitive outcome. No matter what they do somebody will be unhappy. Not to mention the security risks, which I turst Wintermute knows.

[This message has been edited by Zok (edited 11-26-2002).]
 #4 
Old 2002-11-26, 03:32
pink spid3r pink spid3r is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: UBB Vrs HTML

Yeah, html would be messy and people would misuse it.
 #5 
Old 2002-11-26, 04:14
6C 6C is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: UBB Vrs HTML

Security risks? Security risks!? What the hell are you talking about security risks?! He said HTML not JavaScript, what are you talkin about?
 #6 
Old 2002-11-26, 04:20
SomeEverydayNobody SomeEverydayNobody is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: UBB Vrs HTML

One can accomplish many thigns with HTML, and all you need is for some kewl to come accross a site poiting out some malicious acts that can be accompolished through HTML, only to have then appear here and ad such code to their post.

We really don't need HTML. If you have something incredible important to post that you couldnt do without HTML, get a free geocities site, and everytime you need to post such info, code the HTML in notepad, then upload it to geocities and post a link.
 #7 
Old 2002-11-26, 05:02
Wintermute Wintermute is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: UBB Vrs HTML

If you enable HTML on your ubb, you're running the risk of some nice big fat holes in your security.. remember, any html tag can be executed if it's enabled.. that's about as much as I'm gonna say..
 #8 
Old 2002-11-26, 05:09
pink spid3r pink spid3r is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: UBB Vrs HTML

Exactly. 6C should know what he is talking about before he decides to make comments such as the ones he made. Any message board is insecure.
 #9 
Old 2002-11-26, 05:35
SomeEverydayNobody SomeEverydayNobody is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: UBB Vrs HTML

quote:
Originally posted by pink spid3r:
Any message board is insecure.



That is true, but by disabling HTML, one takes a big step into a greater level of security then if they where to leave it enabled.
 #10 
Old 2002-11-26, 06:57
pink spid3r pink spid3r is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: UBB Vrs HTML

Thats very true. It is easy to get past any sort of message board used in any language, let alone HTML. There are hacks on boards such as PhpBB that can make the board more secure.
 #11 
Old 2002-11-26, 21:27
Regular
 
Monkey Island
Default Re: UBB Vrs HTML

Hmm, but if the allowed HTML is restricted to the ones above, why is it a security risk?
 #12 
Old 2002-11-26, 21:29
6C 6C is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: UBB Vrs HTML

Pink Spider you don't know shit about HTML, tell me I'm wrong once you see that I am wrong...
 #13 
Old 2002-12-03, 06:08
Moderator
 
The fine line between genius and madness
Default Re: UBB Vrs HTML

There would be no harm in the above mentioned html tags. They are just for formatting, nothing else. Now I will admit that if all tags were on there would be a problem.

As long as we are on the subject of changing things, it would be nice if signatures were enabled (possibly with a size limit to avoid flooding). And maybe have mods be able to post pictures (only mods, again to avoid flooding).

I remember the sweet days when the IMG tag was avaliable to all.
 #14 
Old 2002-12-03, 14:27
Wintermute Wintermute is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: UBB Vrs HTML

No harm?

Mhm, course not.. I mean, that <a> tag is just so innocuous..



Don't talk about what you don't know.

Beyond anything else, to allow some tags, and not others would require writing reg-ex's for everything you wanted to allow, and disallow.

Far too much work for dubious and negligible benefit.
 #15 
Old 2002-12-07, 03:16
Moderator
 
The fine line between genius and madness
Default Re: UBB Vrs HTML

I overlooked the <a> tag mentioned. My bad. And don't presume what I do and don't know. While I do respect you, you don't know me so realy can't make that judgement. Most people who do know me couldn't.
 #16 
Old 2002-12-07, 14:07
Wintermute Wintermute is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: UBB Vrs HTML

If you thought there was no harm in the tags mentioned, then obviously you didn't know what you were talking about..

Personally, I'm rather familiar with this particular version of UBB, and it's strengths and flaws.. since I used to moderate at ubbdev for a while, when the five series was popular.. thus my absolute confidence in this matter..
 #17 
Old 2002-12-09, 16:08
Moderator
 
The fine line between genius and madness
Default Re: UBB Vrs HTML

Fair enough. I am only a student in a HTML class, you have experence with it.

I don't know what your objection to the <a> tag is, but I will trust you that it is a good one. All I know that it is good for is links and shortcuts(bookmarks). But then, they don't teach what could be dangerous in class.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics