|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Spurious Generalities This is the general discussion and chat forum. People can discuss just about anything they want to in this area, providing it doesn't fit in one of the other forums and provided that it will bring conversation to the thread. |
 |
|
#1
 2002-10-29, 17:23
|
Mackofett 
Regular
|
|
|
|
IRA, UVF, INLA, What do these initials mean to the average American?
Just curious as to how knowledgeable the average American is to the situation in the North with all the different organisations. Do you all think that we live with bombs going off all the time and bullets whizzing by our heads. I ask because while talking to a yank tourist on a bus yesterday I was more than surprised to learn how little they knew about Ireland and that they would go on a family holiday to a country that is still in their eyes a warzone. Id say a huge amount of Irish have at least some knowledge of the Gang culture and the names of different gangs e.g. Crips and Bloods are 2 that come to mind but I wonder if the tables are turned could Americans talk about Ireland in the same way. I also want to know if anyone else thinks along the lines of SatrnrocketX on these matters. Read Topic "a challenge to saturnrocket" if you dont know what I mean.
|
|
#2
 2002-10-29, 17:33
|
Nox 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: IRA, UVF, INLA, What do these initials mean to the average American?
quote: Originally posted by Mackofett: Just curious as to how knowledgeable the average American is to the situation in the North with all the different organisations.
Not very. quote: Originally posted by Mackofett: Do you all think that we live with bombs going off all the time and bullets whizzing by our heads.
As a group ... Yes. quote: Originally posted by Mackofett: I ask because while talking to a yank tourist on a bus yesterday I was more than surprised to learn how little they knew about Ireland and that they would go on a family holiday to a country that is still in their eyes a warzone.
When I go to a new country (only 3 in the last two years) it's normally a place I know little about ... that's why I go. quote: Originally posted by Mackofett: Id say a huge amount of Irish have at least some knowledge of the Gang culture and the names of different gangs e.g. Crips and Bloods are 2 that come to mind but I wonder if the tables are turned could Americans talk about Ireland in the same way.
I hope not. I've been to your fair land and I would hope that whatever people knew/remembered was something other than the groups you mentioned. quote: Originally posted by Mackofett: Read Topic "a challenge to saturnrocket" if you dont know what I mean.
I don't know what you mean ... I haven't read the topic (probably won't because of the title). I don't particularly agree with very much he says. Nox
|
|
#3
 2002-10-29, 17:39
|
beatmeofficer 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: IRA, UVF, INLA, What do these initials mean to the average American?
I know the IRA is the a separatist group in Northern Ireland and that the UVF is a loyalist group. No idea what INLA is. I really am not informed much on the situation in northern Ireland. I hear there is still fighting going on. Do the British still have road blocks and checkpoints? I heard that you can be driving down a road and suddenly there will be a big wall that was built in the middle of the road. I also heard that a lot of the groups both loyalist and separatist are involved in drug trafficking. There can be fights between groups that are on the "same side" on the issue of British rule over drug turf. I personally could enjoy a holiday in a war zone, but I'm kind of wierd. So, that's what I, a semi-average uninformed American know about Northern Ireland.
|
|
#4
 2002-10-29, 17:45
|
Johnnys Bud Quest 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: IRA, UVF, INLA, What do these initials mean to the average American?
quote: No idea what INLA is.B]
Irelands National Leprachaun Association
|
|
#5
 2002-10-29, 18:29
|
Mr.Fubar 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: IRA, UVF, INLA, What do these initials mean to the average American?
Song of the Irish, " We drink and drink and drink and drink and drink and drink and fight! Fight!" Actual song by the Irish punkband Dropkick Murpheys.
|
|
#6
 2002-10-29, 19:04
|
Global Dominator 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: IRA, UVF, INLA, What do these initials mean to the average American?
Most of what Americans know about Ireland they either get from the evening news or from a travel agent. Its supposed to be really green over there, and most would assume there is constant violence because when you hear "Ireland" on the news it is almost always preceded with "another bombing in."
I seem to remember the problem with British rule goes back to the 1920's. And I do recall that the IRA (Irish Republican Army) used to be a little more pro-active years ago with the "knee-capping" and holding guys down and shooting them in the spine. Takes a real brave man to do that.
End of part one.
|
|
#7
 2002-10-29, 19:06
|
Global Dominator 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: IRA, UVF, INLA, What do these initials mean to the average American?
Part two (golly, I haven't had to do this in a while, I almost thought this thing was fixed)
I read so many accounts of the IRA setting off bombs and killing Irish civilians "by accident" that I stopped thinking they were out to make their country a better place. I remember the hunger strikers and the guys who would paint their cells with excrement and refuse to wear any clothing because they wanted to be considered "prisoners of war."
In short I remember and know probably more than the average American about the events in Northern Ireland, but I never understood why people there would shoot priests and kill little girls all for the cause of a "unified, free Ireland."
If that is the price, I don't see how it could be worth it.
|
|
#8
 2002-10-29, 21:00
|
SATURNROCKETX 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: IRA, UVF, INLA, What do these initials mean to the average American?
I know that Whites fighting Whites usually means the jews are going to give both of those Whites the jew-screw, such as immigration of violent animal dumb negro beasts from Africa, as the jews are doing to Ireland now. I know that Ireland will not be a White country for very much longer if they don't start considering themselves Whites FIRST and Irish or British or English second.
|
|
#9
 2002-10-30, 00:36
|
ridemypony 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: IRA, UVF, INLA, What do these initials mean to the average American?
Jews are responsible for the violence in Northern Ireland? Wow. I thought it was the Protestants versus the Catholics. I learn something new every day. <Not> What an idiot. Homeschooling will do that to you I guess. Sigh.
|
|
#10
 2002-10-30, 02:43
|
bribble13 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: IRA, UVF, INLA, What do these initials mean to the average American?
Irish republican army/international rifle association.
Ultra violet frequencys
International nationalists living association (?)
|
|
#11
 2002-10-30, 02:48
|
preying mantis 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: IRA, UVF, INLA, What do these initials mean to the average American?
He's half there though.
The whole Irish thing is a joke, maybe they should read some of the ideas penned by Cecil Rhodes.
In fact, Saturnrocket, you should read his work.
|
|
#12
 2002-10-30, 04:17
|
Gnool 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: IRA, UVF, INLA, What do these initials mean to the average American?
Jews are not involved in Northern Ireland, it's Christians killing each other. You should pull your head out of the ground Saturn.
|
|
#13
 2002-10-30, 13:46
|
Ernie Bubble Butt 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: IRA, UVF, INLA, What do these initials mean to the average American?
U.D.A Only good taig is a dead one
B.B.Mc
|
|
#14
 2002-10-30, 16:45
|
AKO 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: IRA, UVF, INLA, What do these initials mean to the average American?
It always seemed to me that most americans didnt know anything besides what is happening in america. What they seemed to listen on the news was in 2 sections... America... Everywhere else. I know this isnt true about all americans, the americans on this board arent for sure (most). But the only americans i have spoken to have been across the net. So im thinkin maybe the net americans know more due to being able to find things out through the internet(Not a hard conclusion to come to). So, i want to ask people(mainly other americans), is the average american dumb to the events of the outside world(That being anywhere other than N.America)? I saw some interview with bush where he couldnt name some important world leaders... this is an example of what i mean. I hope people dont take this the wrong way, its just when you see the american public on the news, they seem lacking in knowledge of the world. And some english comedy shows like to poke fun at this.
Also recently on the news i saw them asking members of the uk public to name 5 world leaders and then 5 characters from eastenders(A popular UK soap). Obviously(which i regret to say) more people could name the soap characters than world leaders. And i remember being surprised at how many people couldnt name one leader(Not even their own) i cant remember the number, but i know it was out of 10... so it was at least 10% of people asked... which is pretty damn shit.
Ok ive went on about peoples ignorance for too long.... to remind you of my question. Is the average american very limited in knowledge to world events, and everything that isnt american? And i mean average, asin all the hill-billies and trailer trash and such. Not just people you consider equals.
|
|
#15
 2002-10-30, 17:51
|
Johnnys Bud Quest 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: IRA, UVF, INLA, What do these initials mean to the average American?
I think we've learned a great deal about the Middle Eastern countries this past year.
|
|
#16
 2002-10-30, 19:07
|
Global Dominator 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: IRA, UVF, INLA, What do these initials mean to the average American?
The average American probably does not know that much about world events. You have to understand that in North America there are only three countries(Canada, America and Mexico). On the European continent you have far more countries and you are connected to Asia, there are more places/people in the mix.
The internet helps, at least more people here are talking to more people in the world, but if you walk into a geography class in any school you would have a hard time giving away cash prizes for identifying countries of the globe. The same goes for world leaders. It is pathetic to say the least.
And in 20 years when those children have children, it will be worse, because how can a child be that much smarter than their parents when their parents were borderline morons. Some parents think a child's whole education comes from a public school, I am so glad when I was a child my mother would make me read everything. Newspaper, books, magazines, yes even comic books. Now, if the kid can even read half of the back of a cereal box the parent thinks the child is "gifted."
|
|
#17
 2002-10-30, 19:10
|
braindead 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: IRA, UVF, INLA, What do these initials mean to the average American?
for mary mcgreger finally got some sleep....
|
|
#18
 2002-10-30, 19:38
|
AKO 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: IRA, UVF, INLA, What do these initials mean to the average American?
Thanks for that global. Its no better here, being a kid myself i know(im 16). When i was in seniour school, hardly any kids knew anything about world events, and about politics and such. I was the only person i knew who watched the news. Its just the society we live in, instead of word leaders/politician/leaders being heavily focused on in media.... its celebritys... even in the news they celebrities r focused on heavily..... so people are more geared on getting money and becomming famous.
|
|
#19
 2002-10-30, 19:55
|
|
|
Re: IRA, UVF, INLA, What do these initials mean to the average American?
I bet the average Briton doesn't know what the initials UVF or INLA stand for. Still, the average Briton can name five characters from the soap EastEnders so you gotta give them some credit.
|
|
#20
 2002-10-30, 20:16
|
TheSell0ut 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: IRA, UVF, INLA, What do these initials mean to the average American?
Well this is for sure, if it wasn't for the Jew's there wouldn't be as many Christians. When I hear of the bombings and killings in Ireland, it tends to remind me how idiotic some people are. Fighting in the name of a religion. Both Irish Catholics and Irish Protestants are evidence of how hypocritical Christianity is.
|
|
#21
 2002-10-30, 21:02
|
Ernie Bubble Butt 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: IRA, UVF, INLA, What do these initials mean to the average American?
Forget the R.H.C , U.D.A , U.V.F , U.F.F , L.V.F and forget the I.R.A , P.I.R.A , R.I.R.A ,I.N.L.A . Because i want to start the most fearsome terror group in Irish and British history and i'm going to call it the....A.B.C's .
So be afraid mother fuckers . Be very afraid .
B.B.Mc
[This message has been edited by Ernie Bubble Butt (edited 10-30-2002).]
|
|
#22
 2002-10-30, 22:04
|
Lord Sorpington 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: IRA, UVF, INLA, What do these initials mean to the average American?
I'm a Brit, and I recently read the shocking news that 0ne in ten of us can't name our own Prime-minister, nevermind the other world leaders...
I'm 16, and in a history lesson the other day, bear in mind I'm in a top set, another kids asked if they really did drop an atomic bomb on...CHINA...
I only know one other person my age who reads the papers or watches the news.
So it's perhaps slightly unfair to for the British to portray Americans as numbskulls, when there are such a large propensity of British Numbskulls.
|
|
#23
 2002-10-30, 22:47
|
preying mantis 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: IRA, UVF, INLA, What do these initials mean to the average American?
I can sympathise
|
|
#24
 2002-10-30, 23:12
|
Mackofett 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: IRA, UVF, INLA, What do these initials mean to the average American?
It kind of speaks for itself when you dont know what the initials stand for. (I dont mean any disrespect in saying that) Its just that the way the "Peace process" is going at the moment I thought it would get more coverage stateside cos we were led to believe while Clinton was PREZ that the whole of America was concerned and I just thaught that as Bush doesnt know what goes on in his own home that he tries to ensure no one else knows about the rest of the world. The Jews have nothing to do with it by the way SATURN and NOX you should check out that topic posted by URSRUS challenging him it has some of the strongest opinions that Ive seen on totse for a while and while there are several oppurtunities to flame it doesnt really happen so I think URSUS hit on a nerve with alot of people. As for the Initials. I.R.A: Irish Republican Army (Back in the 20s they were the Irish army and totally legit as far as Irish people were concerned. Now they are "Paramilitaries" and are slightly more respected than other terrorist groups, they were at one point the largest group of their kind and probably best trained in the world, they could teach the Russian Commandos a thing or 2 in the world) I.N.L.A: Irish National Liberation Army (The biggest breakaway group from the IRA and are deeply involved in both the sale of drugs and the anti drug stance when on ceasefire, Basically their just Vigilantes with lots of big guns) P.I.R.A / C.I.R.A: Provisional IRA (They wuld be the active cells of commando type repubicans who plant the bombs etc.) Continuity IRA: Very small breakaway group mainly involved in Drugs and some very bad graffitti in North Dublin. R.I.R.A: Real IRA (They are the dozy fucks who bombed Omagh and then admitted it was bad PR. Yet to call a convincing ceasfire and are basically hardline IRA members at odds with other republican groups. There are a few more Republican groups but these are the main ones. UVF: Ulster Volunteer Force: Very hardlined Loyalists and spend as much time killing Protestants as Catholics. LVF: Loyalist VF: Pretty much the same as UVF but into drugs. UDA: Ulster Defence Association. Paramilitary wing of one or more of the loyalist political parties. Red Hand Defenders: Drug Dealers. UFF: Ulster Fighting Forces: Hardlined Loyalists at war amongst themselves and most loyalist organisations which is the norm at the moment as they all seem to be killing each other at the moment. Just to add there hasnt been a real bombing in the South in years and out of 32 counties only 6 in the North and only eally 4 that have to much conflict. There are parts of Belfast where wearing a Glasgow Rangers or Celtic jersey would get you killed or kneecapped at least. They have massive walls dividing Protestant and Catholic streets. They have massive murals on houses of Balaclavad men with AKs or Bobby Sands and the like. They throw bombs at school kids and try to scare peoples with bomb threats at every movie premier or Grand opening etc. The Loyalists like to fight amongst themselves alot and the Republicans while some are ahlf way decent others are just involved in drugs and killing dealers that dont sell for them or are going to get them caught. Up north they try to put on a brave facev to attract employers to the region but the likes of ian Paisley always scare them off by ranting about the republicans all being tooled up terrorists and how catholics are all born with horns and he is a reverand supposed to teach love etc and his son is an even bigger biggot. It seems to be the case with most Loyalists they want to be ruled by the English yet self Sufficient while not involved with the EU but taking money and jobs from the EU countries. While down south we just want an end to it all cos it is just a pain in the arse. I think some one should show Paisly et al a map of the globe just to prove Ireland North or South is not attached to England and get them to make up their minds as to whether or not they are Northern Irish, British or English. If they are British move them over there as they dont want to use EUROS but they want the benefits from them they hate the South but come down every week to shop and buy petrol etc. They seem to think that we are still in the age of the British Empire But Scotland and Wales (Almost) Have their own rule and very little to do with England any more. As for going somewher you know little about I would say thats ok cos you want to learn for yourself but If you thought Afghanistan was stillat war would you go cos that is the thinking of the tourists I met. Anyway ill leave it there cos you could go on for years about it all and I am a pit drunk now so!!!!!
|
|
#25
 2002-10-31, 08:11
|
SATURNROCKETX 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: IRA, UVF, INLA, What do these initials mean to the average American?
Nope.
The jews don't do the dying- they make the gentiles die, and thats the POINT. The jews run the British army and tell them to behave in a brutal fashion towards the Irish. The IRA is made out to be the underdog heroes by the jewish press. So you have jewish created discord that leads to the killing of gentiles, the same thing done by the jews during WW1, WW2, Civil War, ad infinitum.
If it wasn't for jews there would BE no Christianity, period. The jews are to blame for Christianity and all it's tragic consequences.
[This message has been edited by SATURNROCKETX (edited 10-31-2002).]
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|