About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > General > Spurious Generalities
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Spurious Generalities This is the general discussion and chat forum. People can discuss just about anything they want to in this area, providing it doesn't fit in one of the other forums and provided that it will bring conversation to the thread.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-10-20, 23:29
deptstoremook deptstoremook is offline
Regular
 
Default Can I cut down a relatively small tree with this?

I have a saw that's about 2' across, can I cut down a tree about 12-18" thick with it? Also, how do I go about actually cutting the tree?

The reason I need to know is because I found this really great vantage point up in these mountains near my house. It would be great, except these 3 or 4 trees are completely blocking the silhouette of NYC.

Thanks!
 #2 
Old 2002-10-20, 23:38
TOWCHBob TOWCHBob is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Can I cut down a relatively small tree with this?

Be a man and get an axe!
 #3 
Old 2002-10-21, 00:14
Moderator
 
directly over the center of th
Default Re: Can I cut down a relatively small tree with this?

bast way would to be to cut on angles and remove chunks of wood peace by peace so you can eventually just push the tree over with out cutting through the whole thing or you could be a stereo typical canadain lumber jack and toss on a flanel coat put on a toque and some mittens and take an axe over your sholder and just chop the bitch down
 #4 
Old 2002-10-21, 01:26
Regular
 
Mission Viejo CA USA
Default Re: Can I cut down a relatively small tree with this?

why dont you just try instead of asking us?
 #5 
Old 2002-10-21, 01:32
TheLordOfTheBobs TheLordOfTheBobs is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Can I cut down a relatively small tree with this?

look i once cut a tree with a shovel
 #6 
Old 2002-10-21, 01:38
TheSell0ut TheSell0ut is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Can I cut down a relatively small tree with this?

You can cut a tree down with just about anything you'd like but if its a flimsy blade be sure you have a few of them. You could even use fishing line or a sharp rock tied to a tree-limb. The best idea would be to buy/steal/get a large saw or a chopping axe.

[This message has been edited by TheSell0ut (edited 10-21-2002).]
 #7 
Old 2002-10-21, 03:58
Ain Ain is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Can I cut down a relatively small tree with this?

Best to use a chainsaw or axe. Cut a wedge out about half way thorugh the tree, on the side of the tree in the direction you want it to fall. Then cut into the back side of the tree on the other side of the wedge until it falls.

Be careful the tree can kick back toward you. So when it starts to fall Move out of the way.
 #8 
Old 2002-10-21, 06:46
beatmeofficer beatmeofficer is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Can I cut down a relatively small tree with this?

Depending on how close to the road the tree is, you could bring it down the redneck way. That is to say, get a long rope, tie one end around the tree and one to the trailer hitch on your pickup truck. Then just start driving.
 #9 
Old 2002-10-21, 14:04
Moderator
 
Facedown in the shag rug.
Default Re: Can I cut down a relatively small tree with this?

quote:
Depending on how close to the road the tree is, you could bring it down the redneck way.


Roads?! We rednecks don't need no damn roads!
 #10 
Old 2002-10-21, 15:33
Ursus Ursus is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Can I cut down a relatively small tree with this?

Shit. Anybody can cut down a tree. But a REAL man would just move the house!
 #11 
Old 2002-10-21, 21:29
TheSell0ut TheSell0ut is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Can I cut down a relatively small tree with this?

quote:
Originally posted by Ursus:
Shit. Anybody can cut down a tree. But a REAL man would just move the house!


A real man would move NYC.
 #12 
Old 2002-10-22, 02:23
TheParkinator TheParkinator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Can I cut down a relatively small tree with this?

A real man would move.... Son of a bitch. <edit bitch

[This message has been edited by TheParkinator (edited 10-22-2002).]
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics