About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > General > Spurious Generalities
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Spurious Generalities This is the general discussion and chat forum. People can discuss just about anything they want to in this area, providing it doesn't fit in one of the other forums and provided that it will bring conversation to the thread.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-10-20, 00:13
Mackofett Mackofett is offline
Regular
 
Default Help with ROMS

Probably wrong forum but I saw a post about roms here yesterday it had a link to qualityroms.com and 1 or2 others anyway. Can someone tell me what to do step by step in simple terms pretending Im stupid (Fuck I probably am)
A) What do I need
B) What site doI go to
C) How do I set it up (Plugins etc)
for Playstation and 2 if possible and N64 I already have Sega genisis and SNES amulators and some games up and running but cant get a PSX emulator I downloaded running and dont know what the situation is with N64 whats best? Do I need Console or Cartridges (Not legally) just to get it going etc.
Again I apologise if this is wrong forum but this is the one that put idea into my head and after the balst from the past that is Wing Commander and Golden Axe I want to play my ols PS or N64 and possibly PS2 games on my PC so pleas help and no smart ass comments if you think this is a dumbass question to ask cos I dont care I just want to know where I can go to download like qualityroms.com with no voting or ant other shit like that that gives 200 popups and no downloads to show for it.
 #2 
Old 2002-10-20, 01:33
LordJugz LordJugz is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Help with ROMS

JUST LOOK ON GOOGLE! LOOK FOR (SYSTEM NAME) EMULATOR FOR THE PROGRAM! THEN LOOK FOR (SYSTEM NAME) ROMS FOR THE GAMES! ITS THAT EASY!
 #3 
Old 2002-10-20, 02:29
dopeman420 dopeman420 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Help with ROMS

except for the fact that nearly 100% of the sites that google will give you will redirect you to the top 50 rom sites when you try to download a rom regardless of how many banners you clicked just to get to the "okay, download now!" button. i've got psxe, but i can't find any roms for it (at least not the ones i want).

try www.thenationnet.com
 #4 
Old 2002-10-20, 05:51
mcfryed mcfryed is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Help with ROMS

just download a file sharing program and search for roms and emulators there
 #5 
Old 2002-10-20, 12:03
quandary quandary is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Help with ROMS

emulators:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mvggames/
 #6 
Old 2002-10-20, 12:56
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Help with ROMS

You aren't going to be able to run PS2 games on your PC. As far as I know there are no working emulators yet, and even if there were you would need some insane processing power to emulate the PS2.

For the PSX, I suggest using ePSXe. It runs very well on my 1ghz machine with no 3d card. The only games it really gets hung up over are full 2D ones like Megaman X and Legend of Mana.

As for Playstation ROMs, you are unlikely to find too many of those on the web. They are, to use a technical term, hella large. Since a Playstation game can span an entire CD the ROMs are typically 500 to 680 megabytes, and not the sort of thing your average dialup user wants to download - And not the sort of thing your average ROM pirate wants to host.

Your best bet for (semi) free Playstation games is to take a stroll down to your local video store and copy a whole bunch.

~Zero
 #7 
Old 2002-10-20, 14:25
Mackofett Mackofett is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Help with ROMS

Thanks for the help.
I had downloaded a breem demo and epsxe the breem one wont open and Im pretty sure it is completely useless cos it says sound 3d etc is disabled, but the epsxe seems to be a good one from what ive read on various sites, I dont expect to be able to download too many if any ps roms but one site was saying something about using your ps game discs in your pc with epsxe but Im a bit worried about sticking a ps disc into my pc, which (I dont know if ti makes a difference but heres the specs anyway) is an eMachines 960 2gigahertz P4 prcessor 80 gig hard drive nVidia geForce 4 mx420 64mb ddr graphics card 512mb ddr ram with a 32x cd re writer(Can I use this for copying ps games) I use a 56k modem and windows xp home. If anyone knows what is best for these specs with regards to Playstation and N64 or Dreamcast emulators and where to get roms or how to copy ps games (that I already own as its purely for experimentation) Id really appreciate it is Ive spent that much time downloading stuff for snes and genisis (working fine) and psx/n64 Im fucked if Ill give up til I can play games.

[This message has been edited by Mackofett (edited 10-20-2002).]
 #8 
Old 2002-10-20, 17:34
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Help with ROMS

Playstation disks are standard CDROMs. It won't hurt the disk or the drive to use one in a PC. You can copy PSX games with any vaugely modern CD writer. I suggest using CloneCD for this task. Registration is cheap, and it's a good program to have around. It does a good job of copying PC games with goofy copy protection schemes, too (Diablo 2, &c).

A standard copied game will play in ePSXe, but NOT in an unmodified (real) Playstation. PSX disks have a region specific boot sector that cannot easily be copied by a CD writer. That's what we have mod chips for, anyway.

Your machine should do just fine for PSX and N64 games. You have plenty of RAM and 3d acceleration power, so you should have no trouble.

I don't have much information on N64 emulation at the moment because I do not partake in it. There are only three games on the N64 worth playing (Bond, Smash Brothers, and Zelda 5, if you were wondering) and I have all of these readily available on cartridge. Everything else for the N64 is, to use another technical term, crap. Don't bother.

~Zero
 #9 
Old 2002-10-20, 19:59
dopeman420 dopeman420 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Help with ROMS

quote:
Everything else for the N64 is, to use another technical term, crap. Don't bother.


amen.
 #10 
Old 2002-10-21, 17:38
Mackofett Mackofett is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Help with ROMS

Thanks again!
I think I have epsx working and as for n64 I just really want to do it for bond and one or two others and hve downloaded the emu but the roms are massive for a couple of mins gameplay and seem to all be corrupted anyway if this is my last post Ill blame you lot cos Im about to stick a ps game in and hope it doesnt melt the motheroard.
Thanks much apprecitated!!!
 #11 
Old 2002-10-21, 18:02
svc svc is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Help with ROMS

forget all that new stuff.. i cna't live wiithought my SNES 9.x program.. back to the ol' 16/32 bit systems.. super nintendo is the greatest.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics