About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > General > Spurious Generalities
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Spurious Generalities This is the general discussion and chat forum. People can discuss just about anything they want to in this area, providing it doesn't fit in one of the other forums and provided that it will bring conversation to the thread.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-10-17, 20:31
Blurry Blurry is offline
Regular
 
Default I need help with this really tough question on my test

Question number 12 is:


"When was the war of 1812?"

HELP!!! I have been stuck on this multiple choice question for 20 minutes now
 #2 
Old 2002-10-17, 20:35
TheSell0ut TheSell0ut is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I need help with this really tough question on my test

quote:
Originally posted by Blurry:
Question number 12 is:


"When was the war of 1812?"

HELP!!! I have been stuck on this multiple choice question for 20 minutes now



Uhh, it lasted two years, from 1812-1814.


 #3 
Old 2002-10-17, 20:39
piggarro99 piggarro99 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I need help with this really tough question on my test

quote:
Originally posted by Blurry:
Question number 12 is:


"When was the war of 1812?"

HELP!!! I have been stuck on this multiple choice question for 20 minutes now



i think the answer was in the question somehow...

 #4 
Old 2002-10-17, 21:47
Ursus Ursus is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I need help with this really tough question on my test

Oh shit! What are the choices?
 #5 
Old 2002-10-17, 21:54
Zero_the_Hero Zero_the_Hero is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I need help with this really tough question on my test

Maby he was being sarcastic? Nah.
 #6 
Old 2002-10-17, 22:10
TheSell0ut TheSell0ut is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I need help with this really tough question on my test

Thats a great example of just how illogical multiple choice questions can be.
 #7 
Old 2002-10-17, 22:42
ridemypony ridemypony is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I need help with this really tough question on my test

How is it illogical?
It is a legitimate question.
He did not give us the possible answers from the test.
While it is called "The War of 1812" like any war it lasted longer than a year. So if the possible answers were:
a) 1812
b) 1810-1812
c) 1811-1812
d) 1812-1814
The answer would be "d"
How then, is this an illogical question?
Maybe because it is a "trick" question as the answer would seem to be in the question? No, anyone who paid attention in class or read their textbook would not have been fooled. In general though, multiple choice questions are not a "test" of intelligence more so than a test of rote memorization.

[This message has been edited by ridemypony (edited 10-17-2002).]
 #8 
Old 2002-10-17, 22:57
Regular
 
eagan mn usa
Default Re: I need help with this really tough question on my test

WHY was the war of 1812 fought?
 #9 
Old 2002-10-17, 22:58
TheSell0ut TheSell0ut is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I need help with this really tough question on my test

Why is it illogical? Because logic is a system of reasoning, you cannot reason unless you know, and since the question complicates itself and thereby makes it almost impossible to know the true answer- it is illogical. It is illogical in the context of logic, for it to hide or withhold itself.
Sorry if I sound confusing.
The fact that it�s a multiple choice question obviously makes it easier to answer than if it was simply a regular question.

The fact that he gave the question with out any possible answers is also illogical.
Wouldn't logic say that both answers (A) and (D) were right?

[This message has been edited by TheSell0ut (edited 10-17-2002).]
 #10 
Old 2002-10-17, 23:02
Nox Nox is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I need help with this really tough question on my test

2007

Nox
 #11 
Old 2002-10-17, 23:20
Blurry Blurry is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I need help with this really tough question on my test

Some of you are so gullible

Although I do feel a tad guilty because you honestly tried to helpp with my 'question'
 #12 
Old 2002-10-17, 23:22
Tooth Fairy Tooth Fairy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I need help with this really tough question on my test

quote:
Originally posted by Nox:
2007

Nox



ROFLMAO!

*hugs Nox*
 #13 
Old 2002-10-17, 23:24
Tooth Fairy Tooth Fairy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I need help with this really tough question on my test

I was wondering why no-one's asked the obvious.

Why would you be allowed to be online in the classroom during a test?! Ha!
 #14 
Old 2002-10-17, 23:47
TheSell0ut TheSell0ut is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I need help with this really tough question on my test

quote:
Originally posted by Tooth Fairy:
I was wondering why no-one's asked the obvious.

Why would you be allowed to be online in the classroom during a test?! Ha!



I thought it was homework. Hmpf. And that bastard should feel guilty He inspired a bit of philosophical logic talk as well!
 #15 
Old 2002-10-18, 01:19
Nox Nox is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I need help with this really tough question on my test

quote:
Originally posted by Tooth Fairy:
*hugs Nox*


*Nox gets HAPPY!*

Nox
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics