About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > General > Spurious Generalities
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Spurious Generalities This is the general discussion and chat forum. People can discuss just about anything they want to in this area, providing it doesn't fit in one of the other forums and provided that it will bring conversation to the thread.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-10-14, 17:49
96vickersc 96vickersc is offline
Regular
 
Default I'm bored. Read my post.

How do all you americans feel about the war on the terrorism?

Also I heard that a woman took a tobaco industry to court and won 18 billion? Is that true? Just imagine what you could buy with that.

chris
 #2 
Old 2002-10-14, 17:58
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: I'm bored. Read my post.

You could buy a lot of cigarettes with that money.
 #3 
Old 2002-10-14, 18:29
96vickersc 96vickersc is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm bored. Read my post.

Assuming that a cigarette costs 25p (50 cents) you could buy....

18,000,000,000.00 % 0.50 =

36,000,000,000 cigarettes

or...

18 stealth bombers,
100 battle ships,
18,000 cuise missiles


How on earth can anyone need that much money? They couldn't be serious by giving that much compensation?

 #4 
Old 2002-10-14, 18:40
Abomb Abomb is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm bored. Read my post.

DAMN! that's alot o' money! tell her to give me 4 millions
 #5 
Old 2002-10-14, 18:56
Nox Nox is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm bored. Read my post.

quote:
Originally posted by 96vickersc:
100 battle ships


Only if they're made from lego's.

Nox
 #6 
Old 2002-10-14, 21:33
culinaryoverlord culinaryoverlord is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm bored. Read my post.

Cutters maybe, but not battleships, thats still an assload of money! Will that get her into the Forbes list?
 #7 
Old 2002-10-15, 02:23
Regular
 
Antipodes
Default Re: I'm bored. Read my post.

Shes not gonna get it, theyre appealing
 #8 
Old 2002-10-15, 03:03
silencer silencer is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm bored. Read my post.

Good, she shouldn't get any of that fucking money. People should take responsibility for what they put into their body.

As for the war on terrorism, I don't like religion or religious people in general, so I don't have a big problem with Jews and Muslims killing each other. I guess the US sort of did bring this on itself by intervening in foreign affairs and supporting Jews over Muslims. In a way, I'm glad that the WTC attacks happened, because now the US will be hunting down and killing or capturing religious fundamentalists, who I despise to an even greater degree than plain old superstitious religious people.

That, and it's exciting shit! Makes the news a hell of a lot more fun to watch.
 #9 
Old 2002-10-15, 03:17
TheSell0ut TheSell0ut is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm bored. Read my post.

More importantly you could buy about 5,471,124,620 6 oz douches for that much.
Yes, my math sucks and I'm not much for approximating.
 #10 
Old 2002-10-15, 07:17
Regular
 
Antipodes
Default Re: I'm bored. Read my post.

she could buy me 131594278.448 pairs of shoes
 #11 
Old 2002-10-15, 08:29
Raf_the_Penguin Raf_the_Penguin is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm bored. Read my post.

or she could support research into the manufacture and cultivation of illicit drugs in space...

hey, would that be legal?
 #12 
Old 2002-10-15, 08:39
Regular
 
Antipodes
Default Re: I'm bored. Read my post.

Holy shit man, you just solved my science project submission problem


oh and 200 posts yay!
 #13 
Old 2002-10-15, 08:52
Canyonero Canyonero is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm bored. Read my post.

She shouldn't get a penny, but fuck the tobacco companies too, cigarettes suck. They should make her pay all that money to the non-smokers around her who have had to breathe in her second-hand smoke for all these years. At least they didn't have as much of a choice.
 #14 
Old 2002-10-15, 08:53
Canyonero Canyonero is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm bored. Read my post.

There's a war on terrorism going on?
 #15 
Old 2002-10-15, 11:47
Regular
 
Melbourne
Default Re: I'm bored. Read my post.

Firstly: she didn't know smoking was bad... the reason for the payout is that the tobacco companies knew it caused cancer/whateva, but didn't tell anyone, happy to sell their addictive products

Well the whole point of the payout is to punish the tobacco companies, not to compensate the smoker...

Kinda hard to enjoy 18 million when you're dead... besides getting an airconditioned coffin or sumthin
 #16 
Old 2002-10-15, 12:12
Renegade Renegade is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm bored. Read my post.

I wouldnt mind all the Kenner Starwars figures and vehicles.

Peace Renegade,
 #17 
Old 2002-10-15, 14:52
ridemypony ridemypony is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm bored. Read my post.

She didn't know that cigarretes were bad for her? Where has she been living the past 30+ years?!? Tobacco companies knew it was bad and didn't tell anybody?!? What the hell did it say on those warning labels they put on every pack for 30+ years also? I am SO TIRED of smokers blaming it on someone else. First of all, take personal responsibility for your health. Smoking starts to effect your health in many ways, right away. Say to yourself "shit, I'm up all night with a hacking cough, and I stink like smoke, I wonder if it could be from these cancer sticks?" Yeah the tobacco companies did some sneaky shit, but if these lying people would have quit smoking say 20-30 years ago they would have been all right. Even after a year of stopping smoking the lungs start to heal themselves. I know a lot of people who had the brains to stop smoking back in the 60's and they have zero smoking related problems now. Another thing, cigarettes are a LEGAL product. This is like suing bullet makers because you shot yourself in the head or car manufacturers because you drove into a telephone pole. It's just plain dumb. For the bajillions of people who weren't stupid enough to smoke in the first place, these sue happy smokers are just a bunch of whiny bastards who refuse to take responsibility for their own actions. Plus the more of them that kick off early, the less we have to spend keeping them alive in hospitals, taking up bed space for people with legitimate health needs...
But I could be wrong. NOT!
 #18 
Old 2002-10-15, 15:58
--nirvana --nirvana is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm bored. Read my post.

why not? Cough, cough, you philip morris fucking bastard pay me 2 million dollars!
I am getting better at this everytime, so try it, why no?
The lady alredy know that was bad for her health She is bad, oh yes, sir.
 #19 
Old 2002-10-15, 16:12
ridemypony ridemypony is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm bored. Read my post.

I never said she was "bad" whatever that means. I said she was an idiot, moron, piker, however you prefer it...
 #20 
Old 2002-10-15, 16:36
farwah farwah is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm bored. Read my post.

read my post too its about a conspiracy theory i came up while not doing my paper.




[This message has been edited by farwah (edited 10-15-2002).]
 #21 
Old 2002-10-15, 17:39
Mackofett Mackofett is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm bored. Read my post.

Hell for 18billion she could buy my lungs start all over and enjoy the cash earned second time round I mean what good is that kind of money if your not around to spend it and any way shell be lucky to end up with the price of 20 smokes once mr morris etc appeal the ruling!!!
 #22 
Old 2002-10-15, 17:45
Mackofett Mackofett is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm bored. Read my post.

quote:
Originally posted by silencer:
Good, she shouldn't get any of that fucking money. People should take responsibility for what they put into their body.

As for the war on terrorism, I don't like religion or religious people in general, so I don't have a big problem with Jews and Muslims killing each other. I guess the US sort of did bring this on itself by intervening in foreign affairs and supporting Jews over Muslims. In a way, I'm glad that the WTC attacks happened, because now the US will be hunting down and killing or capturing religious fundamentalists, who I despise to an even greater degree than plain old superstitious religious people.

That, and it's exciting shit! Makes the news a hell of a lot more fun to watch.



If all Americans took responsibility for what they put into their body or what they fell over etc us people on this side of the pond wouldnt be able to laugh at all the ridiculous lawsuits you come up with e.g. coffee too hot or ice not cold enough I mean please. By the way it also clogs up legal system for legit claims like one Ive made against BK being heard on 31st oct hope I get 18000euros never mind 18 billion

 #23 
Old 2002-10-15, 17:52
TheSell0ut TheSell0ut is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm bored. Read my post.

Anyone here smoke Winstons? I'd kill(a small rodent) for a pack of them.
 #24 
Old 2002-10-15, 20:57
ridemypony ridemypony is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm bored. Read my post.

Yeah, the U.K. isn't funny at all. I love the idea of paying a tax on EVERYTHING. Screens on the windows of your "flat", tax 'em, got a TV? more tax, Color, I mean COLOUR TV? more tax. The best thing about the UK is that they don't pay a lot of taxes.
BWAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA...
Heh
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics