|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Spurious Generalities This is the general discussion and chat forum. People can discuss just about anything they want to in this area, providing it doesn't fit in one of the other forums and provided that it will bring conversation to the thread. |
 |
|
#1
 2002-10-14, 02:40
|
|
|
Can vs Us
I had a few visits to canada recently and I am thinking mabye moving there.
For people who know the pros and cons living in both the us and canada, please tell me the differences.
|
|
#2
 2002-10-14, 03:15
|
Agent Boris_KGB 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
I used to live north of philly and now I live in quebec...I would have to say I like it a little better up here...Everything except the taxes and shite....It fucking sucks...Things that would have like 10cent tax in america is like 60cent here...But I love the neighborhoods its a little nicer than in philly...I love cold weather and crap so its nice here...Oh and the carnavils and festivals are awesome...I do a little street preforming when I really need cash....
|
|
#3
 2002-10-14, 03:20
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
What performances do you do?
|
|
#4
 2002-10-14, 03:42
|
Rat_Bastard 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
Hehe, check out this pic for Canadian taxes: http://krimzonpyro.com/rat/can.gif  Anyways I got this list on how much canada rules via email. quote:
SO, WHAT DO CANADIANS HAVE TO BE PROUD OF?
1. Smarties 2. Crispy Crunch, Coffee Crisp 3. The size of our footballs fields and one less down 4. Baseball is Canadian 5. Lacrosse is Canadian 6. Hockey is Canadian 7. Basketball is Canadian 8. Apple pie is Canadian 9. Mr. Dress-up kicks Mr. Rogers�butt 10. Tim Hortons kicks Dunkin' Donuts�butt �11. In the war of 1812, started by America, Canadians pushed the�Americans�back...past�their 'White House'. Then we burned it...and most of Washington, under the command of William Lyon McKenzie who was insane and hammered all the time. We got bored because they ran away, so we came home and�partied... Go figure.. 12. Canada has the largest French population that never surrendered to Germany. 13. We have the largest English population that never ever surrendered or withdrew during any war to anyone, anywhere. 14. Our civil war was a bar fight that lasted a little over an hour. 15. The only person who was arrested in our civil war was an American mercenary, who slept in and missed the whole thing... but showed up just in time to get caught. 16. We knew plaid was cool far before Seattle caught on. 17. The Hudsons Bay Company once owned over 10% of the earth's surface and is still around as the worlds oldest company. 18. The average dog sled team can kill and devour a full grown human in under 3 minutes. 19. We still know what to do with all the parts of a buffalo. 20. We don't marry our kin-folk. 21. We invented ski-doos, jet-skis, velcro, zippers, insulin, penicillin, zambonis, the telephone and short wave radios that save�countless lives each year. 22. We ALL have frozen our tongues to something metal and lived to tell about it. 23. A Canadian invented Superman. 24. Canada's only civil war was fought in a bar, started�by an American AND lasted little over an hour.
BUT MOST IMPORTANT!
25. The handles on our beer cases are big enough to fit your hands with mitts on. OOOoohhhhh Canada!!
�Oh yeah... and our elections only take one day.
Pass this on if you are proud to be Canadian!!! Have anything not mentioned here? Why not add to the list! � I AM CANADIAN!!!
|
|
#5
 2002-10-14, 03:49
|
TheMouse 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
Depends on where in the US you are coming from, and where you would be going. I moved from Southern California to Alberta, and it's a major improvement here. The government is a bunch of dorks who like to waste tax dollars, but at least city is clean and there is very little crime. I also like cold weather and hate the heat.
|
|
#6
 2002-10-14, 03:49
|
|
Moderator
|
|
directly over the center of th
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
quote: Originally posted by Rat_Bastard: Hehe, check out this pic for Canadian taxes: http://krimzonpyro.com/rat/can.gif 
Anyways I got this list on how much canada rules via email.
[QUOTE][b] SO, WHAT DO CANADIANS HAVE TO BE PROUD OF?
1. Smarties 2. Crispy Crunch, Coffee Crisp 3. The size of our footballs fields and one less down 4. Baseball is Canadian 5. Lacrosse is Canadian 6. Hockey is Canadian 7. Basketball is Canadian 8. Apple pie is Canadian 9. Mr. Dress-up kicks Mr. Rogers�butt 10. Tim Hortons kicks Dunkin' Donuts�butt �11. In the war of 1812, started by America, Canadians pushed the�Americans�back...past�their 'White House'. Then we burned it...and most of Washington, under the command of William Lyon McKenzie who was insane and hammered all the time. We got bored because they ran away, so we came home and�partied... Go figure.. 12. Canada has the largest French population that never surrendered to Germany. 13. We have the largest English population that never ever surrendered or withdrew during any war to anyone, anywhere. 14. Our civil war was a bar fight that lasted a little over an hour. 15. The only person who was arrested in our civil war was an American mercenary, who slept in and missed the whole thing... but showed up just in time to get caught. 16. We knew plaid was cool far before Seattle caught on. 17. The Hudsons Bay Company once owned over 10% of the earth's surface and is still around as the worlds oldest company. 18. The average dog sled team can kill and devour a full grown human in under 3 minutes. 19. We still know what to do with all the parts of a buffalo. 20. We don't marry our kin-folk. 21. We invented ski-doos, jet-skis, velcro, zippers, insulin, penicillin, zambonis, the telephone and short wave radios that save�countless lives each year. 22. We ALL have frozen our tongues to something metal and lived to tell about it. 23. A Canadian invented Superman. 24. Canada's only civil war was fought in a bar, started�by an American AND lasted little over an hour.
BUT MOST IMPORTANT!
25. The handles on our beer cases are big enough to fit your hands with mitts on. OOOoohhhhh Canada!!
�Oh yeah... and our elections only take one day.
Pass this on if you are proud to be Canadian!!! Have anything not mentioned here? Why not add to the list! � I AM CANADIAN!!!
[/B][/QUOTE] HOLY FUCKIN SHIT ON STICK BATMAN lol i made that e-mail who did you get it from !!! and were di you get it from im surprised it made it to you thats alot of e-mails .... unless i jsut sent it to you because you were in my address book !!!
|
|
#7
 2002-10-14, 04:37
|
Agent Boris_KGB 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
quote: Originally posted by gombowlzombie: What performances do you do?
I blow flames usually with vodka/torch fuel...then just do a bunch of juggling shit with like laccross balls and then I light a hack-e-sack on fire and just kick that around for a bit...and sometimes I have a bunch of glass I lay out on a rug and stand on that and juggle a bit(I cut myself so many times practicing that...) and then If I really need money bad I lay belly down on the glass and have some random chick stand on my back....I practiced shit like that since I was like 11...I rarely do it anymore...I dont really need any cash and there isnt any festivals around....I did it twice during the summer festival...I have 1 scar thats like 3cm on my chest and my feet are all ways looking cut up but they are calisted as a bitch....If your ever in quebec during the summer festival try and come mid week...Thats when I usually preform....Go near university street or the montmorency park near that big cultural museum place...
|
|
#8
 2002-10-14, 04:39
|
Agent Boris_KGB 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
quote: Originally posted by TheMouse: Depends on where in the US you are coming from, and where you would be going. I moved from Southern California to Alberta, and it's a major improvement here. The government is a bunch of dorks who like to waste tax dollars, but at least city is clean and there is very little crime. I also like cold weather and hate the heat.
Yeah...I agree...
|
|
#9
 2002-10-14, 04:41
|
Agent Boris_KGB 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
quote: Originally posted by Rat_Bastard: Hehe, check out this pic for Canadian taxes: http://krimzonpyro.com/rat/can.gif 
Anyways I got this list on how much canada rules via email.
Heh...I like that...very funny comrade....
|
|
#10
 2002-10-14, 04:44
|
culinaryoverlord 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
This is a great country, and we'd be happy to have you, just don't shit your pants when you see what a dozen beer costs. I have spent very little time in the states so I can't really compare. I think we get taxed a little more up here and the winters can be a bitch depending on where you live. I'm not sure what is entailed in emigration but I'm pretty sure you have to have a good paying job lined up or some relatives to help you set up. Cheers
|
|
#11
 2002-10-14, 04:48
|
Township Rebellion 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
everything on that list is true. also, the Scenery is way nicer up here. and, if you want warmth during the summer (as in 40 degrees Celcius), try the Okanogan in BC. it's literally a Semi-desert. go there whenever I can.
|
|
#12
 2002-10-14, 04:53
|
TheMouse 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
Oh yeah, if you like to drink or smoke tobacco a lot, the taxes are a major con. Good thing I quit drinking a lot when I moved up here and don't smoke. If you like to smoke certain non-tobacco substances, then there is a benefit in heading north.
|
|
#13
 2002-10-14, 05:06
|
hype_jv 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
quote: Originally posted by Rat_Bastard: Hehe, check out this pic for Canadian taxes: http://krimzonpyro.com/rat/can.gif 
Anyways I got this list on how much canada rules via email.
[QUOTE][b] SO, WHAT DO CANADIANS HAVE TO BE PROUD OF?
1. Smarties 2. Crispy Crunch, Coffee Crisp 3. The size of our footballs fields and one less down 4. Baseball is Canadian 5. Lacrosse is Canadian 6. Hockey is Canadian 7. Basketball is Canadian 8. Apple pie is Canadian 9. Mr. Dress-up kicks Mr. Rogers�butt 10. Tim Hortons kicks Dunkin' Donuts�butt �11. In the war of 1812, started by America, Canadians pushed the�Americans�back...past�their 'White House'. Then we burned it...and most of Washington, under the command of William Lyon McKenzie who was insane and hammered all the time. We got bored because they ran away, so we came home and�partied... Go figure.. 12. Canada has the largest French population that never surrendered to Germany. 13. We have the largest English population that never ever surrendered or withdrew during any war to anyone, anywhere. 14. Our civil war was a bar fight that lasted a little over an hour. 15. The only person who was arrested in our civil war was an American mercenary, who slept in and missed the whole thing... but showed up just in time to get caught. 16. We knew plaid was cool far before Seattle caught on. 17. The Hudsons Bay Company once owned over 10% of the earth's surface and is still around as the worlds oldest company. 18. The average dog sled team can kill and devour a full grown human in under 3 minutes. 19. We still know what to do with all the parts of a buffalo. 20. We don't marry our kin-folk. 21. We invented ski-doos, jet-skis, velcro, zippers, insulin, penicillin, zambonis, the telephone and short wave radios that save�countless lives each year. 22. We ALL have frozen our tongues to something metal and lived to tell about it. 23. A Canadian invented Superman. 24. Canada's only civil war was fought in a bar, started�by an American AND lasted little over an hour.
BUT MOST IMPORTANT!
25. The handles on our beer cases are big enough to fit your hands with mitts on. OOOoohhhhh Canada!!
�Oh yeah... and our elections only take one day.
Pass this on if you are proud to be Canadian!!! Have anything not mentioned here? Why not add to the list! � I AM CANADIAN!!!
[/B][/QUOTE] ahhahaah true.
|
|
#14
 2002-10-14, 10:50
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
quote: Originally posted by Rat_Bastard: We invented ski-doos, jet-skis, velcro, zippers, insulin, penicillin, zambonis, the telephone and short wave radios that save�countless lives each year.
[/QUOTE] I thought Penicillin was invented by an Australian... some bloke named Howard FLorey or sumthin
|
|
#15
 2002-10-14, 14:34
|
Nox 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
quote: Originally posted by Rat_Bastard: In the war of 1812, started by America
Not true. The incursion into Canada was initiated by the Americans, the "war" began in Europe. quote: Originally posted by Rat_Bastard: In the war of 1812, started by America, Canadians pushed the Americans back...past their 'White House'. Then we burned it...and most of Washington, under the command of William Lyon McKenzie who was insane and hammered all the time. We got bored because they ran away, so we came home and partied... Go figure..
Here's the rest of the story. The Americans burned the Canadian government buildings first. The Canadians were getting revenge. Nox
|
|
#16
 2002-10-14, 14:40
|
cornzornoplat 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
Canadians are the worst people on earth.....yep theyre right up there with the frenchies and dot-heads....ooooo how i hate canadians
|
|
#17
 2002-10-14, 15:12
|
modega 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
There are canadians in canada..... dlnt you guys realize that?
|
|
#18
 2002-10-14, 18:54
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
quote: Originally posted by TigerJK: I thought Penicillin was invented by an Australian... some bloke named Howard FLorey or sumthin
no, Fleming, Sir Alexander, scottish ...
|
|
#19
 2002-10-14, 21:29
|
culinaryoverlord 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
For those that flamed my nation, screw you, I'll remember that the next time I have a choice between sending lb's east or south. Do you realize that part of Bush's energy strategy is to support the development of the Athabasca tar sands as a future source of oil for the U.S.? But anyway, hey TOWNSHIP REBELLION, I grew up in Penticton, probibly sold you .6 grams and beach gopher repellant, the Okanagan was a great place to grow up. Cheers ps: Canadians are way more patriotic than most people give us credit for.
|
|
#20
 2002-10-15, 02:22
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
The only thing canadians are good for is their maple syrup! probably other stuff but I dunno
|
|
#21
 2002-10-15, 03:25
|
Rat_Bastard 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
quote: Originally posted by ComradeAsh: The only thing canadians are good for is their maple syrup! probably other stuff but I dunno
British Columbia WEED! Alberta OIL! Saskachewan GRAIN! Northwest territories & Nunavut .......um....SNOW! I think you get the picture.
|
|
#22
 2002-10-15, 03:46
|
sirhacksalot10 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
weed, oil, grain, and snow? what of that list doesn't america have? let me thing, we have weed, i smoke it on a weekly basis, oil, humm, i've seen oil being pumped out of the dirt in quite a few parts of america, grain, lol, fuck all the people around my area do is farm, mostly corn and beans, but there is grain here too, and snow, fuck snow, what is snow good for?(but if you have a reason, other than snowboarding, we have that too) Come up with a better list buddy. Oh, and just to maybe put another nail in the lid of the coffin for that "all american's are imbread" thing, not all american's are imbread, it's just most of tennessee, and all of arkansas.
|
|
#23
 2002-10-15, 04:03
|
TheSell0ut 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
Gosh, I can't give an opinion on Canada with out being biased. Sadly, I've been struck by the amount of shitty Canadian girl's out there. I had an ex-gf from Canada, she cut her wrists to get attention and told her mom it was my fault.
|
|
#24
 2002-10-15, 04:03
|
culinaryoverlord 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
Please, lets not make this thread an expession of the title, we have been able to co-exist on this board just fine without getting into pissing contests about who loves their country more.
|
|
#25
 2002-10-15, 07:08
|
Agent Boris_KGB 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
Yeah lets not have someone come in here yelling 'NUKE CANADA!!!!!' like some moron did a couple months back....
|
|
#26
 2002-10-15, 08:23
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
depends what ur doing, I order my DVD's from Canada cos theyre cheaper 
|
|
#27
 2002-10-15, 08:46
|
Canyonero 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
I've thought of drifting northward myself, major questions would be...
1. Average salary? How much is the wage tax?
2. Cost of living, includes rent and utilities?
3. I would want to go to a place where there was at least a little warm weather for a portion of the year.
Ohhh Canada, my home and native land..... 4. How does the rest of that go?
|
|
#28
 2002-10-15, 14:12
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
Those are the same concerns I am having except the cold weather. I prefer colder climates because there are less bugs carrying disease and venom.
|
|
#29
 2002-10-15, 22:51
|
ridemypony 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
Hmmm, reasons to go to Canada.
1)Well it is very, very cold there, EVERYWHERE. There is no sunbelt.
2) Their taxes are horrible and you may wait in line for healthcare, for 6-9 months or more, but at least it's free.(And all the best docs are there too, they don't go to the USA where they can make 100's of thousands of dollars, Bwaaaahaha)
3. There is no right to free speech in Canada. Really.
4. They have a Constitutional Monarchy. That means they think the Queen (of England even, they don't have their own) is the tops.
5. They have very, very clean streets.
6. There are no nukes. But their military, although tiny, is excellent.
7. They call "Canadian bacon" "ham" and regular bacon "bacon."
8. They have boocoo political parties and they can call a national election on the spur of the moment.
9. Their national election only last about a month. Compared to non-stop in US.
10. Inflation is terrible, but if you have American Dolllars already, you can get about $1.40 for each of them.
11. People are nice there. (Except for Quebec) or anyone who speaks French.
12. They have ketchup-flavored potato chips.
13. You can buy CODEINE without a prescription.
14. #13 is good enough for me to move. When do we leave???
|
|
#30
 2002-10-15, 22:56
|
ridemypony 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
Oh man, I forgot about "Mackintosh Toffee" that stuff rules. "Smarties" however, are a shitty, shitty version of M&M's.
P.S. It's is also fun to watch "Hockey Night in Canada" and root for all the America Teams that were stolen from Canada. This is where hockey is King, but they have hardly any teams left. Bwaaaaaaaaa Hahahahahahahaha!
|
|
#31
 2002-10-15, 23:27
|
Slyck 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
The temperature barely drops below freezing in southern B.C. Vancouver region.
|
|
#32
 2002-10-15, 23:43
|
lilymunster 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
No place on earth will ever overcome the American South.
(Feel free to argue with me! )
|
|
#33
 2002-10-15, 23:43
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
No free speech? Id like to know more of canadain laws reguarding such things.
|
|
#34
 2002-10-15, 23:44
|
TheSell0ut 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
Where I live, Smarties are tart candies.
|
|
#35
 2002-10-16, 03:06
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
quote: Originally posted by lilymunster: No place on earth will ever overcome the American South.
(Feel free to argue with me! )
Thats because no one wants it. Kidding man
|
|
#36
 2002-10-16, 03:43
|
TheSell0ut 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
quote: Originally posted by lilymunster: No place on earth will ever overcome the American South.
(Feel free to argue with me! )
I live in the South so I have every right to post on this  Good things about the south: 1 Its beautiful here 2 You can sleep on a park bench in the winter and not freeze. 3 Even though vanilla coke sucks, we had it before everyone else. 4 Mello Yello 5 Smooth sipping aged whiskey 6 Jack Daniels 7 Morgan Freeman(the black guy from The Shawshank Redemption) 8 Music history 9 Creole food 10 Fried Chicken 11 35 cent soda 12 Banana MoonPies Err, lily help me out here, I'm sure theres some I've missed.
|
|
#37
 2002-10-16, 06:32
|
Slyck 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
canadian rebutle
1. Yeah, here to 2. Here strangers will let you stay on their couch 3. Even though Molson sucks, we had it before anyone else 4. xtc 5. and 6. Crown Royal, 'nuff said 7. Every decent comedian since John Candy 8. The ability not to maintain crappy boy and girl bands. 9. Original French food 10. Poutine 11. Yeah we have some of that around here 12. Brown Cows
|
|
#38
 2002-10-16, 06:56
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
I have the 3 (4) B's of Australia Better: -Beers -Bitches -Beaches 
|
|
#39
 2002-10-16, 08:47
|
Agent Boris_KGB 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
quote: Originally posted by TheSell0ut: I live in the South so I have every right to post on this  Good things about the south:
1 Its beautiful here 2 You can sleep on a park bench in the winter and not freeze. 3 Even though vanilla coke sucks, we had it before everyone else. 4 Mello Yello 5 Smooth sipping aged whiskey 6 Jack Daniels 7 Morgan Freeman(the black guy from The Shawshank Redemption) 8 Music history 9 Creole food 10 Fried Chicken 11 35 cent soda 12 Banana MoonPies
Err, lily help me out here, I'm sure theres some I've missed.
Red Necks.....
|
|
#40
 2002-10-16, 18:42
|
da_skza 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
we have the best beer.
|
|
#41
 2002-10-16, 19:44
|
TheSell0ut 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
quote: Originally posted by Agent Boris_KGB: Red Necks.....
I happen to love alot of the North, Seattle is one of my favourite states(simply because its close to B.C and rains there all the time). Rednecks and idiots are like the only bad thing in the South. quote: Originally posted by Slyck: 1. Yeah, here to 2. Here strangers will let you stay on their couch 3. Even though Molson sucks, we had it before anyone else 4. xtc 5. and 6. Crown Royal, 'nuff said 7. Every decent comedian since John Candy 8. The ability not to maintain crappy boy and girl bands. 9. Original French food 10. Poutine 11. Yeah we have some of that around here 12. Brown Cows
Here strangers will allow you to share their women and their couch. We have meth and weed. Comedians are a dime a dozen. Canada prefers copying the South�s country and blues. We never maintain girl/boy bands, instead we have shitty country/blues/rock bands. Creole is a mix of Haitian, Spanish and French cuisine which is great, unlike original French food which simply sucks ass. Poutine- is nasty (enough said). We have white cows, black and white cows, brown cows, black cows and giant bulls with big schlongs.
|
|
#42
 2002-10-16, 20:43
|
lewser 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
i think its what you make of it. US has a fabulos history. ive gained a much higher appreciation for canada since being at this site. but really if i get a good high paying job live on a warm beach house and dont have any government or people breathing down my neck, why should i care about where im at... again your life is what you make of it, not which side of an imaginary line youre on.
|
|
#43
 2002-10-16, 21:00
|
Slyck 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
Hey lewser, none of this be happy were you are drivel. You're ruining a perfectly good "mine's bigger contest"
By the way, mine's bigger.
|
|
#44
 2002-10-16, 22:18
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
quote: Originally posted by da_skza: we have the best beer.
muharrharrharr anyone who�s not from Germany shut up ...
|
|
#45
 2002-10-16, 22:46
|
TheSell0ut 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
quote: Originally posted by BSK: muharrharrharr
anyone who�s not from Germany shut up ...
I'm a quarter german so I can say: german beer rocks. Canadian whiskey is the only Canadian alcohol I've imbibed, and it sucked ass.
|
|
#46
 2002-10-16, 23:02
|
draggo 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
The states has firecrackers and all those goodies(at least the parts I've been to) Canada has A lot of good stuff to though, just can't think of any right now. West Edmonton mall is cool though. Canada does have a desert, osyoos that's the only hot one Though.
|
|
#47
 2002-10-16, 23:11
|
TheSell0ut 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
quote: Originally posted by draggo: The states has firecrackers and all those goodies(at least the parts I've been to) Canada has A lot of good stuff to though, just can't think of any right now. West Edmonton mall is cool though. Canada does have a desert, osyoos that's the only hot one Though.
Canada has hot girls, MuchMusic, and no litter.
|
|
#48
 2002-10-17, 00:41
|
Mista Piccolo 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
I've never been to Canada, but I've met a lot of Canadians, and from what I've heard and seen, Canada seems like an ideal place to live if you can stand the cold.
But you spawned Avril Lavigne goddamnit and I'll never forgive you for that.
|
|
#49
 2002-10-17, 02:24
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
quote: Originally posted by draggo: The states has firecrackers and all those goodies(at least the parts I've been to) Canada has A lot of good stuff to though, just can't think of any right now. West Edmonton mall is cool though. Canada does have a desert, osyoos that's the only hot one Though.
Any nasty insects in that desert? I do not like scropions or any thing else that has a vemonous sting or too aggressive. [This message has been edited by gombowlzombie (edited 10-17-2002).]
|
|
#50
 2002-10-17, 02:30
|
TheSell0ut 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
quote: Originally posted by Mista Piccolo: But you spawned Avril Lavigne goddamnit and I'll never forgive you for that.
Hear, hear! Shes pretty though I suppose.
|
|
#51
 2002-10-17, 04:34
|
Slyck 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
Avril Lavigne is not the worst thing to come from up here. Unfortunately we are responsible for much worse.
Celine Dione Shania Twain Brian Adams
Fortunately we more then make up for it
Tragically Hip Sloan Headstones Mathew Good Big Sugar Danko Jones Odds Wide Mouth Mason Rush
|
|
#52
 2002-10-17, 04:49
|
A_M_P 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
TheSell0ut: Yeah, we have 35 cent cola too, but it's 35 cents Canadian, so it's more like 17 cents in real money. Suck it :b
|
|
#53
 2002-10-18, 05:38
|
|
Moderator
|
|
Facedown in the shag rug.
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
To those who would criticize the South:
Coke. We have Coke. We made the most popular soft drink in the world. They don't serve Canadian cola in Japan.
Pointing out the rednecks is unfair. Every region has their version of the moronic asshole. Ours just have more guns.
You may debate beer and whiskey, but the South will always have the best moonshine.
Peanut butter. 'Nuf said.
When was the last time you saw a Southern boy band? Yeah, I thought so. As for Britney, she abused her classic Southern beauty and lost her accent. We don't claim her.
I won't argue the comedians. John Candy was the man. Almost as good as Belushi. Why do all the good fat guys die?
|
|
#54
 2002-10-18, 07:26
|
culinaryoverlord 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
This thread is progressing in a far more civilized fashon than I would have anticipated. Here are a few reasons why I love my country, and enjoy living here. B.C. Bud; been said before, will be said again, but where else do contractors have floor plans for houses meant to become grow-ops? Climate; Southwest Canada has as mild a climate as you could want, not too hot, not too cold, our high today was 21c, and winter doesn't have to suck shit, get a sled or a board or some sticks and go to town. Walking around in a prairie winter (-40 either scale), for a while will make you feel like a fucking macho man, a cold one,but still macho. Politics; we have at least three significant parties, and provincial politics are even more diverse. Publicly funded healthcare may not be perfect, but at least it guarantees a minimum level to everybody, you may have to wait longer for surgery, but you get it whether you can afford it or not. We are a part of the British Commonwealth; many Canadians will disagree, but I enjoy and respect the history that comes with being a part of the Commonwealth and having the Queen as our head of state. Canadian History; we have made significant contributions both in peacetime and during conflicts, in war we have made great sacrifices to ensure democracy, our innovators have changed the world. We are percieved as "nice" and "moderate" by the international community; baaaahaaahaaahaaahhahhahahah, boy do we have you fooled. Drug enforcement policy; marijuana is virtually decriminalized, an accquaintance of mine got caught with 5 lb's at the Calgary Greyhound terminal, he is currently serving 6 mo "house arrest", our harm reduction policies give help to addicts who cannot quit and reduce hard drug fatalities. We are fucking huge; have you looked at a map lately?, you could spend a lifetime exploring this country and not even scratch the surface. I would never say this is the "best" country in which to live, but an individual stands a better shot at carving out their little piece of happiness here then they do in a lot of places. Cheers.
|
|
#55
 2002-10-18, 12:42
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
Overlord. That was the nicest post I ever seen.
I dont know what else to say.
|
|
#56
 2002-10-18, 14:54
|
ridemypony 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
Being from Seattle, last time I checked, it is a City, not a state. Canada is ok, their main problem is "small mans disease." They always want to break out a list of things they supposedly "invented" or began or whatever. If American's walked around talking all that shit, flame-city. Muchmusic sucks, and any Canadian worth their dime has come to America to make exploit their wares. The good thing for Canadians is since they have no real sway with anything, everyone treats them like a little cousin or something, "OK there little boy, now run along while the big people discuss things." Heh, Heh.
|
|
#57
 2002-10-18, 15:22
|
Ursus 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
Over the years I've travelled all around Canada. IN GENERAL I've found Canadians much friendlier than Yanks, food is usually of higher quality and most things Canadian just have more class. For instance, I live in the Seattle area and frequently ride on a Washington State ferry. When you buy food on the ferry it's served on paper or styrofoam...and you eat with plastic forks. On BC ferries you are served food on REAL plates, eat with REAL silverware, sit at tables that have tablecloths and drink from REAL cups and glasses instead of paper or foam...This might seem like no big deal, but you can extend this example to almost everything Canadian. It's just classier. A few years ago, my wife and I took a trip up the Cassiar Highway. The Cassiar Highway starts in the area around Kitwanga and goes 500 miles norht to Watson Lake, Yukon. Most of the way is REALLY remote (as in, when you turn on your car radio you don't even get static...NOTHING across either the AM or FM band!) Anyway, there is usually a gas station and cafe about every 75 miles or so...and ALL of the cafes look like real greasy spoons...but even being as remotely located as they were, the food was always fresh, great quality and well prepared. We were amazed. ONLY in Canada could we find such a consistant quality of life. My hat is off to you Canuks! The US of A would do well by following your example.
|
|
#58
 2002-10-18, 16:53
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
Isnt Miks hard lemonade and dr jones made in canada?
|
|
#59
 2002-10-21, 01:03
|
draggo 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
jones cola is, I don't know about the others. As for the creepy crawlies osoyoos has them, but that is about the only place that does.
|
|
#60
 2002-10-21, 02:02
|
A_M_P 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
Yes, Mike's is canadian. Funny side note on that, it's used to finance a world class winery. Yes, that's right, the guys who make Mike's also make fine wine.
"While fine wines win awards, they are capital intensive items and wineries are finding that coolers and ciders are cash cows for the company, Mike's Hard Lemonade is the leader in the spirit cooler category and it is estimated that in its four years of existence the brand has already generated more than $30 million for the Okanagan vineyard." http://www.vwm-online.com/Magazine/Archive/2000/Vol26_No2/IceWine.html
|
|
#61
 2002-10-21, 09:20
|
buttthrax 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
Canada:
High Taxes ---Ridiculous Welfare Programs ---Socialized Medicine
No Guns ---Haha!
It's Cold
Two languages ---I mean some people have trouble with one
Do they have Budweiser there?
As far as the weed thing, we'll just see if Question 9 passes in Nevada http://www.nrle.org
[This message has been edited by buttthrax (edited 10-21-2002).]
|
|
#62
 2002-10-21, 13:19
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
Wow didnt know Mike was a from a wineyard. Now I know why it tastes so good because experts made it.
|
|
#63
 2002-10-21, 21:14
|
Township Rebellion 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
quote: Originally posted by culinaryoverlord: For those that flamed my nation, screw you, I'll remember that the next time I have a choice between sending lb's east or south. Do you realize that part of Bush's energy strategy is to support the development of the Athabasca tar sands as a future source of oil for the U.S.? But anyway, hey TOWNSHIP REBELLION, I grew up in Penticton, probibly sold you .6 grams and beach gopher repellant, the Okanagan was a great place to grow up. Cheers ps: Canadians are way more patriotic than most people give us credit for.
sweet, how old are you? What's your name? maybe I could remember you from somewhere. what school did you go to? I lived in penticton for a short time, as well. had to move again, though.
|
|
#64
 2002-10-21, 21:17
|
Township Rebellion 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
quote: Originally posted by Slyck: Avril Lavigne is not the worst thing to come from up here. Unfortunately we are responsible for much worse.
Celine Dione Shania Twain Brian Adams
Fortunately we more then make up for it
Tragically Hip Sloan Headstones Mathew Good Big Sugar Danko Jones Odds Wide Mouth Mason Rush
the Hip and Sloan ALONE can make up for bitchy Celine. Why are people bitching about Canada? this is a great nation. Fuck American Haters!
|
|
#65
 2002-10-21, 21:23
|
TheSell0ut 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
quote: Originally posted by A_M_P: TheSell0ut: Yeah, we have 35 cent cola too, but it's 35 cents [b]Canadian, so it's more like 17 cents in real money. Suck it :b[/B]
Well we do have 6 packs for $1 (which comes out 17 cents each). So choke on that  . I think our prices are probably cheap compared to Canadian. I don't know though.
|
|
#66
 2002-10-21, 21:52
|
draggo 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
At the wal mart up here we can get brand name Cola for 60 cents, thats a 2 litre bottle.
|
|
#67
 2002-10-22, 00:00
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
What about a bic mac price compared to american prices? Here its 1.50
|
|
#68
 2002-10-22, 01:23
|
draggo 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
1.50 canadian or American? Can't remember what it is in Canada. What's a baby ruth?
|
|
#69
 2002-10-22, 01:31
|
buttthrax 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
$1 in america
|
|
#70
 2002-10-26, 19:43
|
lamar 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
on the plus side we have a huge land mass with a small population, the people are generally friendly unless you go to toronto.we have real beer (4.5-7%) and we have 4 seasons. on the other hand we have killer taxes and wasteful politicians. Way to much gun control, and the CBC. In case youre wondering what the CBC is, its our canadian tv and it sucks so bad id rather watch the little dot on the screen after i turn the set off!
|
|
#71
 2002-10-26, 19:47
|
lamar 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by lamar
on the plus side we have a huge land mass with a small population, the people are generally friendly unless you go to toronto.we have real beer (4.5-7%) and we have 4 seasons. on the other hand we have killer taxes and wasteful politicians. Way to much gun control, and the CBC. In case youre wondering what the CBC is, its our canadian tv and it sucks so bad id rather watch the little dot on the screen after i turn the set off!
|
|
|
#72
 2002-10-26, 20:59
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
What about taxes if you live off the land up in the yukon? Could ya dodge taxes that way?
|
|
#73
 2002-10-26, 22:02
|
TheLordOfTheBobs 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
what could you POSSIBLY do in yukon?
|
|
#74
 2002-10-26, 22:14
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
I don't know. Pan for gold?
|
|
#75
 2002-10-26, 22:37
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
While we are on this topic, what about the diffirences living in austrailia, england, canada and the usa?
|
|
#76
 2002-10-26, 23:03
|
culinaryoverlord 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
quote: Originally posted by gombowlzombie: What about taxes if you live off the land up in the yukon? Could ya dodge taxes that way?
If you live far enough north you will get a "northern living allowance" on your tax return, is is significant but does not make up for the high cost of living. ie: $4.99 small bags of peanuts $40 for 1 large pizza Of course the lowest wage is about $15/hr so, you still get by. I have no idea if it is the same in Alaska, but I think the economy is a little more subsidized to keep prices down, I would encourage anyone interested in a "northern exposure" tour to go for it, you might not get rich but you won't forget it either.
|
|
#77
 2002-10-26, 23:05
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
Have you ever been up that far north? Lived off the land and lived alone like a hermit? I think that be nice to do that once in my life.
|
|
#78
 2002-10-27, 07:03
|
culinaryoverlord 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
To live alone that far north you need to have had a lifetime of education in surviving the hostile conditions, even the trappers that live in isolated conditions have a community of people to support them. I lived in the bush on Haida Gwai (Queen Charlotte Islands) for about four months, it was educational, wet, cold, and all in all a worthwhile venture. I took in a lot of food, but I also ate a off the land a lot. If you want the experience, it's not that hard to wander off and get good and lost, just let someone know where you are going, and don't assume you will we able to provide more than %25 of your diet from your surroundings. Learn to shoot, being in the bush without a gun (or a bow if you are good), is plain stupid. Make two ot three trips to your hermitage to pack in supplies, plant some beans and other vegetables on the first trip in, when you settle in a few weeks later you will at least have a head start on some veggies. Just living without tv for a few months is a refreshing change, bring lots of dope.
|
|
#79
 2002-10-27, 18:22
|
ardene 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
also in the queen chartlet islands most islands only have a park ranger that does do nothin so you can have huge grow ops adn no one will care
|
|
#80
 2002-10-27, 20:39
|
lamar 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
I dont mean to be rude, but you Americans have no idea how fucking cold it can get in northern Canada! I was once a guide for American hunters and they were bundled up with all the latest shit from Cabellas and still froze their asses off. Imagine living off the land in northern Canada? Only if my very life depended on it. How cold you ask?ever try to start a vehicle when its 54 degrees below zero in Fahrenheit? Anyone who lives in Alaska knows what i mean. Id love to see an episode of Survivor in northern manitoba! Bwahahahaha!
|
|
#81
 2002-10-27, 21:37
|
culinaryoverlord 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
YES!!, yes!!, northern Manitoba survivor, that would be the greatest. In summer you could have them stand with more than 3 square inches of skin exposed and see how long it takes the mosqitos and blackflies to drain their entire circulatory system. In winter there would be no pissy infighting as they huddled together in a snow covered lean-to making tea on a hexane pellet stove and wishing those coyotes would go away, nobody would be voted off because the loss of another warm body would lower the temperature. Nobody would be posing for playboy afterwards either, Playboy won't take models with missing toes. I would never take on the Canadian north without every civilized advantage I could get my hands on. Haida Gwai is an exception, even though you can see Alaska on a clear day form Toe hill, the climate is mild and nature is bountiful.
|
|
#82
 2002-10-27, 23:13
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
quote: Originally posted by lamar: I dont mean to be rude, but you Americans have no idea how fucking cold it can get in northern Canada! I was once a guide for American hunters and they were bundled up with all the latest shit from Cabellas and still froze their asses off. Imagine living off the land in northern Canada? Only if my very life depended on it. How cold you ask?ever try to start a vehicle when its 54 degrees below zero in Fahrenheit? Anyone who lives in Alaska knows what i mean. Id love to see an episode of Survivor in northern manitoba! Bwahahahaha!
It aint rude if you telling me like it is.
|
|
#83
 2002-10-27, 23:42
|
Rat_Bastard 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
Everyone should watch "Bowling For Columbine" It really shows how fucked up American culture is. It is probably the most intelligent and true movie/documentry I have seen.
|
|
#84
 2002-10-28, 00:38
|
40ozTOfreedom 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
hate to tell u lacross is indian. and when it was invinted there was no country border. not like they know exactly where it was invinted anyways...
|
|
#85
 2002-10-28, 17:06
|
Mr.Fubar 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
quote: Originally posted by 40ozTOfreedom: hate to tell u lacross is indian. and when it was invinted there was no country border. not like they know exactly where it was invinted anyways...
The word Lacross is a french word. So its not indian. Either French or Metis. You do know what Metis is, right?
|
|
#86
 2002-10-28, 17:19
|
Mr.Fubar 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
Sure Canadians Pay more taxes than Americans. Where else in the world can you get Free healthcare. An government support is good for the Unemployed too. As far as the wheather, the Majority of Canadians live close to the US border so its about the same as say North Dakota. The Canadian Rockies are beutiful and are some of the best places in the world to go Snowboardin or skiing. Canadian Beer is stronger and tastes better. Smokes are more expencive now(Its like $10 now cause of taxes). Everything here is in metric like the rest of the world. No Miles or gallons. Laters
|
|
#87
 2002-10-28, 18:31
|
lewser 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
regarding the list of what canada has to be proud of, the Tim Hortons kicking Dunkin Donuts ass or whatever, i must say that Krispe Kreem is probably kicking both of their asses.
|
|
#88
 2002-10-28, 23:05
|
culinaryoverlord 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Can vs Us
I hate to admit it but Krispe Kreme donuts are the best in the world aside from a few independant bakeries I have tried.
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|