About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > General > Spurious Generalities
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Spurious Generalities This is the general discussion and chat forum. People can discuss just about anything they want to in this area, providing it doesn't fit in one of the other forums and provided that it will bring conversation to the thread.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-10-12, 22:40
a_global_threat a_global_threat is offline
Regular
 
Default shit these assholes are smart!

man some people on this site are fucking smart as hell i guess it comes with time thats why i like totse so much i guess. there is always more to learn!
 #2 
Old 2002-10-12, 22:52
TheSell0ut TheSell0ut is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

Am I one of these smart assholes? *fishing for complements*
 #3 
Old 2002-10-12, 23:21
Tooth Fairy Tooth Fairy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

Nope, you can't spell.
 #4 
Old 2002-10-12, 23:32
a_global_threat a_global_threat is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

no.
 #5 
Old 2002-10-12, 23:47
Agent Boris_KGB Agent Boris_KGB is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

How about me?
 #6 
Old 2002-10-12, 23:55
TheSell0ut TheSell0ut is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

Should have known not to fish in a mud puddle .
Oh and what did I misspell?
 #7 
Old 2002-10-13, 00:00
Tooth Fairy Tooth Fairy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

'compliments'
 #8 
Old 2002-10-13, 00:02
Tooth Fairy Tooth Fairy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

quote:
Originally posted by Agent Boris_KGB:
How about me?


Boris, I don't think anyone who is very smart, would ask this Q.
 #9 
Old 2002-10-13, 00:17
a_global_threat a_global_threat is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

well at least he knows know right?but no.
 #10 
Old 2002-10-13, 00:35
culinaryoverlord culinaryoverlord is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

Post hard, post well, lets get busy. I am rapidly becoming addicted to this place.
 #11 
Old 2002-10-13, 00:41
Agent Boris_KGB Agent Boris_KGB is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

How would you know how smart or not I am by one post?...You probly never heard of 'The Real'(bows head) He was one of the smartest people on here along with K9girrl....We now have Nox,Rat Bastard,Warweed,rlpinca, and a few other really smart people...and some of those people in the drug and chemistry section are smart as all when it come to those subjects...I mean you cant be here one month and judge everybody...even after a year I thought one person was pretty intelligent and then he turned out to really know shit.And there are many more stupid people on this site then smart ones...But the smart ones usually stay and the ignorant ones leave after a few months....
 #12 
Old 2002-10-13, 00:45
Tooth Fairy Tooth Fairy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

Yeah, they get bored because they don't understand what's being said..........
 #13 
Old 2002-10-13, 00:50
Agent Boris_KGB Agent Boris_KGB is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

Yes Indeed. They dont read posts with more than 10 sentences in them...They dont....You know why?...Because they are retarded little fucks who cant read and then right after you post something with alot of information and opinion they come in and ask something that you already answered before...It pisses me off....
 #14 
Old 2002-10-13, 00:53
Tooth Fairy Tooth Fairy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

Hey, don't let it get to you. If you can detect that pattern in a particular poster, just don't bother responding to that person anymore.
There's enough good people here to go round.
 #15 
Old 2002-10-13, 00:56
Agent Boris_KGB Agent Boris_KGB is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

yeah....Heh about a month or two ago there was this guy black_light and he was annoying as shit....He finally left about a month ago....
 #16 
Old 2002-10-13, 01:36
Moderator
 
directly over the center of th
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

*bows head to The Real* ..... i really really really wish he would come back ! has any one heard news from whats going on ? i have seen him post here bfore but that was a while back when he gave an update on his release and boris you are smart you don't need these people to know that your smart ! and thank you for the compliment also i do not ever use grammer in my posts that does not mean i don't know what im talking about like i always say don't judge people for who they are judge em for what they post !


edit
------
how many people here remember him and how many hvae not seen him or his post but have lived to hear the ledgend ?

[This message has been edited by warweed12 (edited 10-13-2002).]
 #17 
Old 2002-10-13, 01:42
TheSell0ut TheSell0ut is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

quote:
Originally posted by Tooth Fairy:
'compliments'


No- I was looking for something to juxtapose beside myself so that I might be complete.

 #18 
Old 2002-10-13, 01:44
Moderator
 
directly over the center of th
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

jux�ta�pose Pronunciation Key (jkst-pz)
tr.v. jux�ta�posed, jux�ta�pos�ing, jux�ta�pos�es
To place side by side, especially for comparison or contrast.



hummmmm learn somthing new every day ! damnit........... your big words hurt my head !
 #19 
Old 2002-10-13, 01:46
A-F Army A-F Army is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

Dude i wanna be a smart asshole too.
 #20 
Old 2002-10-13, 01:46
TheSell0ut TheSell0ut is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

quote:
Originally posted by warweed12:
...also i do not [b]ever use grammer in my posts that does not mean i don't know what im talking about like i always say don't judge people for who they are judge em for what they post ![This message has been edited by warweed12 (edited 10-13-2002).][/B]


You also never spell check. Don't judge people for what they are? Hahahahahaha...Judge them for what they aren't! God I hate smart people(almost as much as I hate stupid ones).
 #21 
Old 2002-10-13, 01:50
Moderator
 
Facedown in the shag rug.
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

Smart people? I though they had all moved into outer space by now...
 #22 
Old 2002-10-13, 01:51
TheSell0ut TheSell0ut is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

quote:
Originally posted by warweed12:
jux�ta�pose Pronunciation Key (jkst-pz)
tr.v. jux�ta�posed, jux�ta�pos�ing, jux�ta�pos�es
To place side by side, especially for comparison or contrast.



hummmmm learn somthing new every day ! damnit........... your big words hurt my head !



Dictionary.com comes in handy doesn't it
My head hurts my head(I belive that comment was pretty intelligent).

 #23 
Old 2002-10-13, 02:44
Tooth Fairy Tooth Fairy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

quote:
Originally posted by TheSell0ut:
No- I was looking for something to juxtapose beside myself so that I might be complete.




Mmmm, sure...........
 #24 
Old 2002-10-13, 06:10
Phantom Phantom is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

You may not think k9grrl is so smart when you learn she's into bestiality, as admitted by her quite some time ago.
Anyone who'd let a dog fuck her doesn't strike me as a professor type.
 #25 
Old 2002-10-13, 06:58
Carisa Carisa is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

"some people on this site are fucking smart"

who?
 #26 
Old 2002-10-13, 07:05
silencer silencer is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

Phantom:

I wouldn't say that sexual preference, be it man, woman or beast <gasp!> has any impact on someone's intelligence.

And who says one must be a "professor type" in order to be intelligent?

Intelligence is your natural, inborn, genetically inherited insight into things. Therefore, it's not a cup that can be filled like many people think. Your metaphorical cup is to be filled with knowledge, not intelligence.
 #27 
Old 2002-10-13, 07:16
Phantom Phantom is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

Don't dissect my smartass comments.
 #28 
Old 2002-10-13, 09:01
Super Moderator
 
Sebastopol CA
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

quote:
Originally posted by Agent Boris_KGB:
...and some of those people in the drug and chemistry section are smart as all when it come to those subjects...


Ah, so I'm this and the 40 year old sexless guy that you mentioned somewhere else?


[And He's one of my supporters!]

 #29 
Old 2002-10-13, 09:11
Tooth Fairy Tooth Fairy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

quote:
Originally posted by Carisa:
"some people on this site are fucking smart"

who?




Can't you work out who for yourself? Or are you implying that no-one is?
 #30 
Old 2002-10-13, 09:15
Tooth Fairy Tooth Fairy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

quote:
Originally posted by Phantom:
Don't dissect my smartass comments.


ROFLMAO........ this tickled the funny bone.....
 #31 
Old 2002-10-13, 13:21
Z3m Z3m is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

So cold.
 #32 
Old 2002-10-13, 13:46
Tooth Fairy Tooth Fairy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

Oh hey, that's the 2nd time you've said that directly after one of my posts.

If you are referring to me, I'm a kitten..........
 #33 
Old 2002-10-13, 15:29
Z3m Z3m is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

NO! I'm cold. It's cold in this fucking appartment when the restaurant downstairs is closed on Sundays. Fucking Christians!
 #34 
Old 2002-10-13, 17:23
quandary quandary is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

quote:
Originally posted by Agent Boris_KGB:
It pisses me off....


you know what pisses me off?

your ugly face!
 #35 
Old 2002-10-13, 17:50
Moderator
 
directly over the center of th
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

quote:
Originally posted by quandary:
you know what pisses me off?

your ugly face!



thats a good one ! show how smart you are.... you borrow that from a little school boy ?
 #36 
Old 2002-10-13, 17:55
farwah farwah is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

i thought i was pretty smart too but this site has put me to shame, there is sooo much that i am so cluelss, about, i am one those smart mouths too, i mouth off a lot, but nothing mean unless its well deserved,
I am getting addicted to this place as well, kinda scary cuz i should be working on this paper thats been due forever, and b/c ia m in a really tough spot in life and could use some direction and somehting but i find myself refusing to deal with problems and this is a good place to run away too.
which really is not very good at all.
O! n i mispell loads don't think that makes anyone any less or more smart though, its really how much u know, how much of the world around u u've managed to absorb.
ok gotta go work on shitty paper,
i would like to start thread about human rights and f. f. martens - my paper, but i keep loosing them i put them up and never see them after that.

 #37 
Old 2002-10-13, 18:07
a_global_threat a_global_threat is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

Carisa if you can't figure it out your not one of them and plantation like in laredo?
 #38 
Old 2002-10-13, 19:49
Agent Boris_KGB Agent Boris_KGB is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

quote:
Originally posted by quandary:
you know what pisses me off?

your ugly face!




Too bad you dont see it that much when your sucking my cock...

 #39 
Old 2002-10-13, 20:00
quandary quandary is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

haha, you guys are fuuuuuuuuunny
 #40 
Old 2002-10-13, 20:05
Agent Boris_KGB Agent Boris_KGB is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

Indeed....
 #41 
Old 2002-10-13, 22:12
TheSell0ut TheSell0ut is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

quote:
Originally posted by Agent Boris_KGB:

Too bad you dont see it that much when your sucking my cock...




Actually most people tend to stare into the guys eyes while giving him head. Its suppose to be a huge turn on.
Hey, if it helps any, I think you are cute.
 #42 
Old 2002-10-13, 23:06
Ursus Ursus is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

Stupid people should have to wear signs that just say, "I'm Stupid". That way you wouldn't rely on them, would you? You wouldn't ask them anything. It would be like, "Excuse me...oops, never mind. I didn't see your sign." It's like before my wife and I moved. Our house was full of boxes and there was a U-Haul truck in our driveway. My friend comes over and says,"Hey, you moving?" "Nope. We just pack our stuff up once or twice a week to see how many boxes it takes. Here's your sign."

A couple of months ago I went fishing with a buddy of mine, we pulled his boat into the dock, I lifted up this big 'ol stringer of bass and this idiot on the dock goes, "Hey, y'all catch all them fish?" "Nope. Talked 'em into giving up. Here's your sign."

I was watching one of those animal shows on the Discovery Channel. There was a guy inventing a shark bite suit. And there's only one way to test it. "Alright Jimmy, you got that shark suit on, it looks good. They want you to jump into this pool of sharks and you tell us if it hurts when they bite you." "Well, all right but hold my sign. I don't wanna lose it.

Last time I had a flat tire, I pulled my truck into one of those side-of-the-road gas stations. The attendant walks out, looks at my truck, looks at me, and I SWEAR he said, "Tire go flat?" I couldn't
resist. I said, "Nope. I was driving around and those other three tires just swelled right up on me. Here's your sign."

We were trying to sell our car about a year ago. A guy came over to the house and drove the car around for about 45 minutes. We get back to the house, he gets out of the car, reaches down and grabs the exhaust pipe, then goes, "Darn that's hot!" See? If he'd been wearing his sign, I could have stopped him.

I learned to drive an 18 wheeler in my days of adventure. Wouldn't ya know I misjudged the height of a bridge. The truck got stuck and I couldn't get it out no matter how I tried. I radioed in for help and eventually a local cop shows up to take the report. He went through his basic questioning... ok...no problem. I thought for sure he was clear of needing a sign...until he asked "So..is your truck stuck?" I couldn't help myself! I looked at him, looked back at the rig and then back to him and said "No, I'm delivering' a bridge. .. . . here's your sign."
 #43 
Old 2002-10-13, 23:27
Ursus Ursus is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

GOOOOOLLEEEEEEE!
Whah awl betchew thank ahm wunna them smart tipe uh indavijoolz! Whah shoo! it aint nuthin. Ah gess jes sum uv us peepel is jus bornd dat wayz. Ah doo wunna thanx ya for afeelin soze naborlee fer athinkin lahk yuhdoo tho. Yup! dat wuz raht naborlee uv ya! Shooo! Ah be afeelin awl imberesed an awl! Whah jus th uther dae ah wus atellin mah wahf howz peepel looks uptuh mee an such. Yup, ah wuz. Whah, ah bee jussaz hapy az uh paig inna waller raht nowz! Hawt dam!
 #44 
Old 2002-10-13, 23:32
A-F Army A-F Army is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

quote:
Originally posted by Ursus:
GOOOOOLLEEEEEEE!
Whah awl betchew thank ahm wunna them smart tipe uh indavijoolz! Whah shoo! it aint nuthin. Ah gess jes sum uv us peepel is jus bornd dat wayz. Ah doo wunna thanx ya for afeelin soze naborlee fer athinkin lahk yuhdoo tho. Yup! dat wuz raht naborlee uv ya! Shooo! Ah be afeelin awl imberesed an awl! Whah jus th uther dae ah wus atellin mah wahf howz peepel looks uptuh mee an such. Yup, ah wuz. Whah, ah bee jussaz hapy az uh paig inna waller raht nowz! Hawt dam!



Heheheh...
Congrats you have officially sounded like a hill billy
 #45 
Old 2002-10-14, 00:01
Ursus Ursus is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

Sheeeee! Wutchoo atahkin bout? Yew gotta prolem wit da wayz ah tahkz er sumtin? Wutz dis sheeit bout hilbileez an such? Ah aint no dam inbred hilbilee! sheeit!

[This message has been edited by Ursus (edited 10-14-2002).]
 #46 
Old 2002-10-14, 00:21
A-F Army A-F Army is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

Once again i Commend you.
 #47 
Old 2002-10-14, 00:51
likuidsmoke likuidsmoke is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

They do make shirts that say "im stupid) or just "stupid) and partner shirtst that say that "I'm With Stupid" and an arrow pointing in some diraction. I think that the arrorw should point two directiosn (or MORE!!!!)

This is one of my favorite websites (the overdose of black and blue kind of annoys my eyes but the black adn red at www.disinfo.com balances it out. I have read most of the forums and articles on both websites adn between teh two the truth, however confusing, is very present.

and in the end, i hope that more and more people discover the informatoin buried in the web, since that information can be vital to our very survival, and it makes for intersting topic starters with other people who have some idea of what the truth could be.

Do i know where i am going, probably not, but now i understand where i have come from.
 #48 
Old 2002-10-14, 01:40
Ursus Ursus is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

Well said likuidsmoke,
I just hope that people find the information that is already buried within themselves...regardless of what is on the web.
 #49 
Old 2002-10-14, 02:52
Super Moderator
 
Sebastopol CA
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

quote:
Originally posted by Ursus:
Stupid people should have to wear signs that just say, "I'm Stupid". That way you wouldn't rely on them, would you? You wouldn't ask them anything. It would be like, "Excuse me...oops, never mind. I didn't see your sign." It's like before my wife and I moved. Our house was full of boxes and there was a U-Haul truck in our driveway. My friend comes over and says,"Hey, you moving?" "Nope. We just pack our stuff up once or twice a week to see how many boxes it takes. Here's your sign."

A couple of months ago I went fishing with a buddy of mine, we pulled his boat into the dock, I lifted up this big 'ol stringer of bass and this idiot on the dock goes, "Hey, y'all catch all them fish?" "Nope. Talked 'em into giving up. Here's your sign."

I was watching one of those animal shows on the Discovery Channel. There was a guy inventing a shark bite suit. And there's only one way to test it. "Alright Jimmy, you got that shark suit on, it looks good. They want you to jump into this pool of sharks and you tell us if it hurts when they bite you." "Well, all right but hold my sign. I don't wanna lose it.

Last time I had a flat tire, I pulled my truck into one of those side-of-the-road gas stations. The attendant walks out, looks at my truck, looks at me, and I SWEAR he said, "Tire go flat?" I couldn't
resist. I said, "Nope. I was driving around and those other three tires just swelled right up on me. Here's your sign."

We were trying to sell our car about a year ago. A guy came over to the house and drove the car around for about 45 minutes. We get back to the house, he gets out of the car, reaches down and grabs the exhaust pipe, then goes, "Darn that's hot!" See? If he'd been wearing his sign, I could have stopped him.

I learned to drive an 18 wheeler in my days of adventure. Wouldn't ya know I misjudged the height of a bridge. The truck got stuck and I couldn't get it out no matter how I tried. I radioed in for help and eventually a local cop shows up to take the report. He went through his basic questioning... ok...no problem. I thought for sure he was clear of needing a sign...until he asked "So..is your truck stuck?" I couldn't help myself! I looked at him, looked back at the rig and then back to him and said "No, I'm delivering' a bridge. .. . . here's your sign."




I thought that was funny too....

......When I heard Jeff Foxworthy do the bit......

 #50 
Old 2002-10-14, 05:59
Ursus Ursus is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

I thought it was a riot when I read it somewhere online the other day! I thought it appropriate for the topic..
 #51 
Old 2002-10-14, 12:27
Carisa Carisa is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

quote:
Originally posted by a_global_threat:
Carisa if you can't figure it out your not one of them and plantation like in laredo?


and exactly what is that supposed to mean???

 #52 
Old 2002-10-14, 12:30
Carisa Carisa is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

quote:
Originally posted by Tooth Fairy:

Can't you work out who for yourself? Or are you implying that no-one is?




I wanted to know who imparticularly he was posting this about...or did he just decide to make a post to say "some" people are smart...which is pretty stupid because we all know some people are smart.
 #53 
Old 2002-10-14, 13:03
ridemypony ridemypony is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

Immature posters of totse, nothing personal but besides your general lack of editorial control (read: decently written posts that you read over to check for at least basic mistakes before posting) Most of you do not even know how to spell simple words like: GRAMMAR (Not GRAMMER). A few other less mature posters in Totse claim they don't use "correckt punctutation and grammer and shit" because they don't want to, not because they can't. I am sorry, but those people are "full of shit." If you want people to think you are relatively intelligent you will at least attempt to spell words correctly as well as using the right words at the right time as well as using punctuation in a way that enhances your message, not detracts from it.
Two of the many, many, many horrid mistakes made on totse, ad nauseum:
1) YOUR and YOUR'E. YOUR is an adjective it means literally something relating to you or yourself. Example: Is this YOUR can of Spaghetti O's?
YOUR'E is a contraction that is short for YOU ARE. This is where so many totse posters screw up. A totse poster would often say this: Your a real a-hole, your posts make no sense. How it should be written: Your'e a real a-hole....etc.
Scared of contractions? Even easier, pull YOUR head from YOUR rear and spell the words out. Example: YOU ARE a real a-hole.

Pretty simple. Everyone makes a typing error HEAR and there. Big deal. There are a lot of regular posters/moderators in here (not hear) whose posts are well written and make sense. Those people look and seem smarter for a great part because they take the time to spell words correctly, use words correctly and structure sentences to make sense. My simple rules for writing are two fold. Write simple, short sentences to avoid making grammatical mistakes and check your spelling. Looking up a word here and there can be a lot more interesting than you may think. It is relatively painless and it may even expand your vocabulary, thereby making you smarter than the 83 IQ friends you hang around with.
For those people who will feel compelled to post that they really know how to spell and use grammar, please don't. That is like saying you know how to ride a bike but don't because you "don't want to." Yeah, that is why you always crash into fences and bushes while riding a bike, NOT.

Edited to remove specific names

[This message has been edited by ridemypony (edited 10-14-2002).]

[This message has been edited by ridemypony (edited 10-14-2002).]
 #54 
Old 2002-10-14, 14:22
Nox Nox is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

quote:
Originally posted by ridemypony:
YOUR'E is a contraction that is short for YOU ARE.


Small point to an otherwise outstanding post:

It's you're versus your'e.

Nox
 #55 
Old 2002-10-14, 15:16
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

Heh
 #56 
Old 2002-10-14, 16:05
quandary quandary is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

i dont need to punctuate and spell to tell poeple im smart, since i know that i am.
 #57 
Old 2002-10-14, 16:49
TribalMunkey TribalMunkey is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

May I ask what flavor is the gravy? Yellow! Great that will go just fine with the rubber duckies!
 #58 
Old 2002-10-14, 18:19
ridemypony ridemypony is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

I knew you would be the one to see that Nox. You pass go, you get $200.
YOU'RE smarter than the last 200 sophomore's I have taught.

For the rest of class. YOU ARE=YOU'RE. All that is missing is the A. That is why most technical types do not like contractions in the written language. It looks sloppy. Why do we have them? They make speaking go quicker and sound somewhat better...
Thanks Nox...
 #59 
Old 2002-10-14, 19:29
TheSell0ut TheSell0ut is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

Pony, I commend you for trying to correct peoples spelling and grammar(almost put an 'e' in there, goshdarnit!).

"If you want people to think you are relatively intelligent you will at least attempt to spell words correctly as well as using the right words at the right time as well as using punctuation in a way that enhances your message, not detracts from it."

I thought you might have used "as well as" a little too much in that post.
As well, you also said "not detracts from it", it would be better to say- 'instead of detracting from it'.
Also you switch from 'T' to 't' when spelling TOTSE- yet none of your sentences begin with the word.
You understand, I hope, that there are errors in nearly everyones posts.
What I want to know is, whats the use of knowing correct grammar if you never use it?!!


[This message has been edited by TheSell0ut (edited 10-14-2002).]
 #60 
Old 2002-10-14, 19:57
Tanna Tanna is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

Now I feel like a retard for being crap at English. My head tends to think faster than i can write, including with a pen. I was even thought to be dyslexic as a child because i would write half a sentence then skip to the second half of the next sentence i was thinking about. But im not.
I apolagise for all mistakes i make with my english skills, i do try to improve it, correct my errors and check my posts. Although this weren't aimed at me, i dont think, but i thought id share it with everyone at totse.
 #61 
Old 2002-10-14, 20:05
Super Moderator
 
Sebastopol CA
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

quote:
Originally posted by Tanna:
...My head tends to think faster than i can write, including with a pen. I was even thought to be [b]dyslexic as a child ...[/B]


Dyslexics of the world Untie!
 #62 
Old 2002-10-14, 20:15
Moderator
 
directly over the center of th
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

lots of people spell things diffrently hell you goto some places and you see center and you go some place else and you see centre it all depends on who you are so quit your rambaling (sp?)
 #63 
Old 2002-10-14, 20:19
TheSell0ut TheSell0ut is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

Tanna don't feel bad, the purpose of my last post was to make people like you- who make good, well thought-out posts- to not feel so stupid just because they make a few typing errors. Remember, drunkeness, is a good excuse for bad spelling.
 #64 
Old 2002-10-14, 20:25
Tanna Tanna is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

And i am a part time alcoholic. Thanx.
 #65 
Old 2002-10-14, 20:32
TheSell0ut TheSell0ut is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

quote:
Originally posted by warweed12:
lots of people spell things diffrently hell you goto some places and you see center and you go some place else and you see centre it all depends on who you are so quit your rambaling (sp?)


The purpose for language is for communication, to communicate you have to settle on a specific spelling so everyone can understand each other. Center and centre are English/French spellings. I think most of us know that people speak different languages. Screwing up the English language doesn't count as making a new language.
 #66 
Old 2002-10-14, 20:39
TheSell0ut TheSell0ut is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

quote:
Originally posted by Tanna:
And i am a part time alcoholic. Thanx.


And I'm a wannabe alcoholic, plus I don't type that well either all the time.
 #67 
Old 2002-10-15, 00:08
ridemypony ridemypony is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

Sellout, yeah I know. I was just speaking about a few, actually two specific things that bug the hell out of me that are simple things, AS WELL AS, I am never sure how to spell "totse." I want to spell it with a capital "T" which is technically correct, AS WELL AS, I also keep seeing it spelled "totse" with the lower case "t" as if that is how it were meant to be spelled. For instance "eBay" is spelled lowercase "e" first, but technically it should be spelled "Ebay." I also wanted to say that "not detracts from it" is perfectly fine, here we are getting into semantics and how we choose to use language. I rarely say "instead" so that is that (yeah sure), AS WELL AS, remember I said everyone makes a typing error or mistake here and there, BUT WHEN IT IS EVERY OTHER WORD, it tends to turn me off, i.e. I quit reading them after a line or two. So we agree.
Joking about AS WELL AS, I get writing and want to wrap it up so I throw those in, creating some beautiful run-on sentences to get the misery over quicker. Hell, if people don't know the difference between how to use "too" and "to" whose gonna notice?
P.S. The minor differences between American and English uses: "Center" and "Centre" are not important really. If you know how to use the language and care a little about how others perceive you (all we have to go by is the words written in these boxes after all) then you at least try to spell words right and punctuate accordingly. As usual there have already been some posts like this: "I can spell and use grammar if I want to, I just choose not too." That is B.S. pure and simple.
 #68 
Old 2002-10-15, 00:17
culinaryoverlord culinaryoverlord is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

My spelling has slowly improved since I started to post here. I read a lot, and had always considered my spelling better than average, but my profession does not entail a lot of writing of reports and such, so I suppose I did not (notice I didn't say "never") really have the chance to examine my writing skills. I notice sometimes that a word looks different than I would expect, continuum fucked me up the last time I tried to spell it, and I try to figure out what I am doing wrong. I think that the part of our brain that recognizes words is different than the part we call upon to spell them, memory versus interpretation. I am just a cook, not a student or professor, but I would like to think that despite the occasional spelling or grammer error, my posts are coherent and sometimes meaningful. As long as someone is not posting in hardcore ebonics or kewlscript I think we should ignore the mistakes, correcting them with courtesy if you really feel it nessecary, and concentrate on the message thay are trying to get across.
 #69 
Old 2002-10-15, 00:46
TheSell0ut TheSell0ut is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

quote:
Originally posted by ridemypony:
Sellout, yeah I know. I was just speaking about a few, actually two specific things that bug the hell out of me that are simple things, AS WELL AS, I am never sure how to spell "totse." I want to spell it with a capital "T" which is technically correct, AS WELL AS, I also keep seeing it spelled "totse" with the lower case "t" as if that is how it were meant to be spelled. For instance "eBay" is spelled lowercase "e" first, but technically it should be spelled "Ebay." I also wanted to say that "not detracts from it" is perfectly fine, here we are getting into semantics and how we choose to use language. I rarely say "instead" so that is that (yeah sure), AS WELL AS, remember I said everyone makes a typing error or mistake here and there, BUT WHEN IT IS EVERY OTHER WORD, it tends to turn me off, i.e. I quit reading them after a line or two. So we agree.
Joking about AS WELL AS, I get writing and want to wrap it up so I throw those in, creating some beautiful run-on sentences to get the misery over quicker. Hell, if people don't know the difference between how to use "too" and "to" whose gonna notice?
P.S. The minor differences between American and English uses: "Center" and "Centre" are not important really. If you know how to use the language and care a little about how others perceive you (all we have to go by is the words written in these boxes after all) then you at least try to spell words right and punctuate accordingly. As usual there have already been some posts like this: "I can spell and use grammar if I want to, I just choose not too." That is B.S. pure and simple.


Good, I just felt that maybe you were a little to harsh in your criticsm so I decided to bring out the point that everyone makes mistakes. TOTSE 'should' be spelt all caps, or all lower-caps and with periods between each letter: T.O.T.S.E or t.o.t.s.e -but of course you can spell it how you like. There is a question of symantics and the way we use language, 'center' and 'centre' are simple differences, centre is french and center is english. It is fine to mix languages as long as they make sense.
Obviously we recognize center to have the same meaning as centre. I found your last post to be intelligent and K00EWELE!
 #70 
Old 2002-10-15, 01:43
TheParkinator TheParkinator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

Well... Smartness will conqure. Not how well you can spell or how much you know. But "evwe singal woyd" like that is annoying.
 #71 
Old 2002-10-15, 04:42
ridemypony ridemypony is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

Quoting Sellout:
"Good, I just felt that maybe you were a little to harsh in your..."

-Ahhhhhh Sellout, your'e bustin' my balls using the wrong "to" right of the bat. You silly son-of-a...

HA! You guys kill me...

[This message has been edited by ridemypony (edited 10-15-2002).]
 #72 
Old 2002-10-15, 04:51
ridemypony ridemypony is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

Regarding warweed's last post...
Dude, don't try and throw the point off to differences in spelling. Nothing personal at all, but 9/10 of your many, many posts have DOZENS of misspelled words, many unintelligable to most. Many of those are probably typing mistakes, but those are the worst because they are the hardest to figure out. I just think well spoken folks like yourself would come off as at least High School graduates if you read through your posts and edited the mistakes to make it easier for others to understand, or read through it quick before you hit "submit." And chill on the "rambling" crap. Just because I can stay on topic for over three sentences without making 300 errors doesn't make a rambler. A rambler has no point, I find it hard to believe I don't have a point. Come on, you just don't read posts over about 12 lines in length. Right? That's cool, but chill on the labels. I have a few rolling around in my peach pit right now, but...
 #73 
Old 2002-10-15, 04:57
Z3m Z3m is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

I cna play the pianno.
 #74 
Old 2002-10-15, 09:45
Nox Nox is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

quote:
Originally posted by Z3m:
I cna play the pianno.


I cna't.

Nox
 #75 
Old 2002-10-15, 09:46
Super Moderator
 
Sebastopol CA
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

And another good joke flys by with no notice what so ever.

Honestly, I don't know why I bother trying sometimes...
 #76 
Old 2002-10-15, 17:09
Nox Nox is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

quote:
Originally posted by Metaphysicist:
And another good joke flys by with no notice what so ever.


It did not go unnoticed...it went unanswered.

Nox
 #77 
Old 2002-10-15, 18:16
TheSell0ut TheSell0ut is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

quote:
Originally posted by Metaphysicist:
And another good joke flys by with no notice what so ever.

Honestly, I don't know why I bother trying sometimes...



Don't mind Nox, he just doesn't have your sense of humour.
 #78 
Old 2002-10-15, 18:45
Super Moderator
 
Sebastopol CA
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

Just like anything that isn't understood: it's attacked.


[I'm joking for heaven's sake! Fine, so you didn't like/or answer it. I don't really mind: I wrote that as a way of pointing out that it was a joke to those who may have not known.]
 #79 
Old 2002-10-15, 19:31
Tanna Tanna is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

Metahipyscist, i thought you were serious, i was preparing to slap you with a large fish. But if your kingjo il let it go.
 #80 
Old 2002-10-17, 01:07
Tooth Fairy Tooth Fairy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

quote:
Originally posted by ridemypony:
Quoting Sellout:
"Good, I just felt that maybe you were a little to harsh in your..."

-Ahhhhhh Sellout, your'e bustin' my balls using the wrong "to" right of the bat. You silly son-of-a...

HA! You guys kill me...

[This message has been edited by ridemypony (edited 10-15-2002).]




It's "off" the bat actually.
 #81 
Old 2002-10-17, 01:22
TheSell0ut TheSell0ut is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

quote:
Originally posted by Tooth Fairy:

It's "off" the bat actually.



And the 'to' was on purpose
 #82 
Old 2002-10-17, 01:24
Impulses Impulses is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

But the stupid ones far outweigh the intelligent ones.
 #83 
Old 2002-10-22, 23:45
Z3m Z3m is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

quote:
Originally posted by Nox:
I cna't.


Neither can I.
 #84 
Old 2002-10-23, 00:15
Nox Nox is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

quote:
Originally posted by Z3m:
Neither can I.


I just occurred to me...That was good...I really really like that. You slipped that by me and I always prided myself in being able to catch the subtle. You will be watched in the future.

Nox
 #85 
Old 2002-10-23, 00:35
ImbuedOne ImbuedOne is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

gram�mar (n).

The study of how words and their component parts combine to form sentences.
The study of structural relationships in language or in a language, sometimes including pronunciation, meaning, and linguistic history.

You guys keep talking about spelling in posts, than calling it grammar. Grammatically you are using the words correctly. However, in definion and context, you are using the wrong word.

Correct grammar involves word order, form, and a bit of style. Correct spelling, which is what you have gone onto a tangent about, involves spelling words correctly.


Now, can someone tell me the tags for italicized, bolded, underlined, struck-through, and quoting on these boards please? It would have made that post much easier to do...

Edit: Whoo, figured italics out. I assume bold is ? That would imply underlined is [u]?[/u] Darn, no underlining... Any other coding to aid me?

[This message has been edited by ImbuedOne (edited 10-23-2002).]

[This message has been edited by ImbuedOne (edited 10-23-2002).]
 #86 
Old 2002-10-23, 13:38
Z3m Z3m is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

quote:
Originally posted by Nox:
I just occurred to me...That was good...I really really like that. You slipped that by me and I always prided myself in being able to catch the subtle. You will be watched in the future.


My secret's been uncovered! Oh no!
 #87 
Old 2002-10-23, 18:50
Super Moderator
 
Sebastopol CA
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

When writing your reply, if you look to the left of the window you type the reply in, you'll see the words:

*HTML is OFF
*UBB Code is
On


The UBB Code part is a link which will tell you all that's possible [that's how I discovered the 'list' thingy that I overused last week ]
 #88 
Old 2002-10-24, 01:29
ImbuedOne ImbuedOne is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: shit these assholes are smart!

Thanks Meta! That should help

  1. Seperating ideas
  2. Organizing posts
  3. Looking like one of 'dem smart people!


Yay me!
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics