About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > General > Spurious Generalities
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Spurious Generalities This is the general discussion and chat forum. People can discuss just about anything they want to in this area, providing it doesn't fit in one of the other forums and provided that it will bring conversation to the thread.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-09-26, 06:04
majikchemist majikchemist is offline
Regular
 
Default Hurricanes

I was just wondering how many people have been in a hurricane/tropical storm/deprssion..... many people think it's a big deal and It's not, I've been in at least 10 and it's fun... hurricane parties kick ass...

just wanting others thoughts....
 #2 
Old 2002-09-26, 06:29
crocodile dundee crocodile dundee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hurricanes

Here in Oz they call them Cyclones.

Sure some can be 'not a big deal' but others can wipe out buildings & entire cities (like cyclone Tracy did to Darwin.

Have fun partying...but id rather stay safe and not get my head swiped off by a flying potplant or SUV.

have fun

croc

***Interesting fact, Depending on whether the cyclone is in the Southern or Northern Hemisphere dictates whether it will spin clockwise or anticlockwise.
 #3 
Old 2002-09-26, 09:10
Canyonero Canyonero is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hurricanes

I've been through 4 or 5, the worst was hurricane Gloria from sometime in the 80s, we got alot of damage from that. I live on the coast two city blocks from the ocean and I personally do worry if a major one will hit I could be killed.

Case in point, early in the 1920s or so, a huge hurricane hit the Jersey coast and washed away something like � mile of a town called Longport which was at the time connected to Ocean City. Longport is the last city on the island that starts with Atlantic City. Now there is a huge inlet where people's houses used to be and that's about 3 miles from where I sit. Now there's a bridge to connect what used to be the same island.

I admire anyone who can party during a hurricane, and I'm imagining you must live in Florida, but if a major storm comes my way, I'm going to the mainland.
 #4 
Old 2002-09-26, 18:22
Nox Nox is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hurricanes

quote:
Originally posted by Canyonero:
I admire anyone who can party during a hurricane,


It all depends on how your house is built and where it's built. If you live in a wood frame on the beach...head for the mainland. Otherwise...PARTY TIME.

Nox

 #5 
Old 2002-09-26, 19:17
razorlines razorlines is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hurricanes

I live in tornado ally and i havent actually been in one, but i slept through a couple that were a county away(and in georgia, counties are like 5 feet away from each other, lol)
 #6 
Old 2002-09-26, 20:01
junglist junglist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hurricanes

hurricane hugo came on my birthday. i didnt think it was fun. about 10 days without electricity, lots of floods, took forever to clean up.
 #7 
Old 2002-09-26, 22:09
majikchemist majikchemist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hurricanes

no, I live in alabam, the little strip right on the Gulf, hurrican george was only a 1 but it was by far my favorite, it stalled in mobile bay for 3 days, no major damage...
 #8 
Old 2002-09-26, 22:43
Moderator
 
Facedown in the shag rug.
Default Re: Hurricanes

I was outside playing in the rain back when Andrew hit the southeast. Musta been 40mph winds that day...

Damn was it fun.
 #9 
Old 2002-09-26, 23:09
majikchemist majikchemist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hurricanes

lol, hurricane force winds are above 70 mph., 40 mph is average for a strong thunderstorm... just to let ya know, and yes football is a great sport for hurricanes, as you never quite know where the ball is going
 #10 
Old 2002-09-27, 00:06
GV GV is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hurricanes

It has been raining here in GA for almost two weeks straight. People were saying " Blah when is it going to rain..waa blah" Now that we have rain...they are saying " When is it going to stop raining waa waa...blah" So you see people are never satisfied. And cant drive if a dog pissis on the road. I have also been out of work for three days..thats a down side. But I do love extream weather...except heat. You may ask yourself "what the hell are you doing in GA then?" I really dont know..
 #11 
Old 2002-09-27, 00:34
majikchemist majikchemist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hurricanes

no Idea what that has to do with hurricanes but it has been rainging here for the same amount of time
 #12 
Old 2002-09-27, 00:58
Regular
 
Default Re: Hurricanes

never been in a hurricane but I lived through tornados. Did not hit my house but on that day, 21 tornados touched down and wiped out a small village up near my home in ohio.

The town was a small country poverty town. Didnt know it was a wreck until I came close up.
 #13 
Old 2002-09-27, 01:13
Bongman Bongman is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hurricanes

There was a hurricane before I was born, about 17 years to this date, and then huricane Bob. Central MA doesn't have many hurricanes.
 #14 
Old 2002-09-27, 03:09
likuidsmoke likuidsmoke is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hurricanes

Wyo can get some nasty wind storms at times. trees will be knocked down, rain and torrential winds for hours, then it all stops in calm errieness. It all happens with the Jet Stream gets caught near the surface and usuall from the north straigt out of Canada.
 #15 
Old 2002-09-27, 03:10
majikchemist majikchemist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hurricanes

hmm...it's kinda funny, I just though about this, but kids up north get snow days and kids down south get hurrican days, but what do kids in hawaii get?
 #16 
Old 2002-09-27, 03:30
majikchemist majikchemist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hurricanes

I'm only posting this to have my topic on fire...
 #17 
Old 2002-09-27, 05:59
likuidsmoke likuidsmoke is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hurricanes

Incliment weather would be the generalized term that the schools use for letting the kids be at home.

Hawaii would get flooding, winds, rain, and a potential Volcano.

Just one more post to help activate the hot topic
 #18 
Old 2002-09-27, 06:27
Moderator
 
directly over the center of th
Default Re: Hurricanes

lol there is a hurricane for each memeber of our family it intersting every members name has a hurricane named after them
 #19 
Old 2002-09-27, 18:24
KamikazePimp KamikazePimp is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hurricanes

quote:
Originally posted by Canyonero:
I admire anyone who can party during a hurricane, and I'm imagining you must live in Florida, but if a major storm comes my way, I'm going to the mainland.


I'm 10 mins away from Philly. Here, we don't worry too much about hurricanes. Personally, I've never felt threatened by the weather here in all my life. For some odd reason though, I get a good feeling when I suddenly see the sky turn dark grey and the winds pick up all of a sudden
 #20 
Old 2002-09-27, 19:52
majikchemist majikchemist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hurricanes

*begins doin' indian rain dance* ogga chaka oogackaka....wee wee lala yo yos yo soy...
 #21 
Old 2002-09-27, 21:35
majikchemist majikchemist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hurricanes

must keep this post alive.... feel it dying...nooo!!...
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics