About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > General > Spurious Generalities
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Spurious Generalities This is the general discussion and chat forum. People can discuss just about anything they want to in this area, providing it doesn't fit in one of the other forums and provided that it will bring conversation to the thread.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-09-20, 11:19
Super Moderator
 
Sebastopol CA
Default Part II [Furthermore, Brent]

Like the subject says, this is a continuation of something that began in a different thread.

And while it is mainly meant for Brent, the part actually meant for him is small and at the end [much like much of his anatomy, I�d venture to guess].

What comes before is, well, a bit self explanatory.

I warn you now, though: even using other posts of mine as a measuring standard, this is a long one. � And you should see what all I cut out!


You know, most of the time I can left blatant displays of arrogance, or ignorance/stupidity.

However, arrogance that is supported and sustained only by ignorance and / or stupidity somehow always seems to trigger a base primeval instinct in me. And if I come to find that the arrogance is wafting from a foundation of ill-mannered preadolescent�as has recently happened�I find that I just showing the offending man-child back to his actual place in the scheme of things is not nearly sufficient . I find that to restore my sense of rightness in the universe and balance between the physical and the metaphysical I need to violate [sort to speak] Newton�s third law of motion [i.e.: Instead of an action receiving an equal and opposite reaction, I give a reaction that is magnitudes greater than the action that triggered it.

I would say that I do it in the sincere hopes that such an exaggerated response will sink in and help precipitate a fundamental attitude change�

I would but I�d be lying through my teeth

Truth is, it�s just a matter of [slightly smug, I admit] self satisfaction, as with any job well done.

Along with no small amount of warped amusement.

Amusement which is boosted to even ever loftier heights should the whole thing be played out in a public place�.

�Like a forum, for example��


Well, I�ve just spent an hour and a half on this post and saw that I had 2 pages and I still was on this introduction � I wasn�t even near getting to the point.

I mean, I know I�m overly verbose a good 90% of what I post � blame my college English instructors for that � but this was way way over the top, by any standard.

So I erased most of it and am now going to succinctly say what and why I�ve been brought to do this post and them get on with it.

And then I�m going to make a note to myself not to get near totse when I�ve been up and in pain for more than two days; if I�m also at a bi-polar extreme especially

Having said that and before I lose control of my words again�


A few days back, in the middle of a thread Jokes was the subject, not that that matters].

Out of nowhere and for no apparent reason � other than preadolescent, ignorant arrogance maybe � in pops Brent.

His contribution to a thread about jokes:
quote:
Originally posted by Brent:
Metaphysicist is not a word.
You thought that a metaphysicist is one who is skilled in metaphysics. The correct word would be "metaphysician"



My response at that time was to throw a few of my favorite insults form a �Nation Lampoon� record that I have, followed by the following:
quote:

First of all, and above all other considerations:

Metaphysicist is a user name. It is a name I selected to use to identify myself here. When signing up it doesn't say 'User name must be a real word'.



Knowing that he couldn�t possibly be as stupid as to not know that, I
Concluded that it had to have been done as a deliberate act; the kind of which should have elicited a more pointed reply from me.

However, as many of you may have noticed it is a rare occasion that I will flame somebody [or perhaps not; the absence of something is rarely as obvious as its presence]; I believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt.

[along with the fact that over the years I have raised my trigger point to keep from being dragged down by ever petty perceived slight against me: There�s more than enough important things in life to be bothered by to sweat the little shit].

I know that Brent is a totally ignorant, closed minded, arrogant preadolescent [close enough], which certainly would have been quite enough to reach and exceed my trigger threshold, back in the past; but not nowadays.

Being it was Friday near quitting time that I read it, my oversight is understandable [to me at least]. I thought about it more at home.

If the whole of his post was what I copied above, I would have just left things where I did.

But he couldn�t just leave there. He was compelled to write the following to make sure I felt the [dull] point of what he perceived in himself as intelligent wit:

quote:
Originally posted by Brent:

you were not aware of that owing to your ignorance in the field.



There could be no doubt now: he wrote it with a bad faith for intent.

I should have made a stronger point and address his main point; that Metaphysicist isn�t a word.

I now correct that over sight:

Brent: You�re an ignorant slut.

You make the quick and automatic assumption that since you�ve never come across the word, and you can�t find it in a simple dictionary that it must not be a word.

As usual, you�d be wrong.

I came across several thousand entries for the word when I did a Google search [Thanx for the idea, Syphon ]

I offer, as just a sample of what�s out there:


http://www.covenofhunters.com/Training_Guide/Metaphysicist/metaphysicist.html
http://www.jewishsightseeing.com/usa/california/san_diego/lawrence_fami ly_jcc/sd2-8-02metaphysicist.htm
http://www.umanitoba.ca/manitoban/20020403/arts_3.shtml
http://www.geocities.com/anecdotalism/robert/lab.html :


And I�ll even quote a section of one I came across: It says things very nicely:

�There is no logical reason why a person who does metaphysics should not be called a 'metaphysicist'
rather than a metaphysician, the word generally used. Perhaps physicists would be called 'physicians'
were it not for the fact that that word has already been appropriated by medical practitioners.�

Geoffrey Klempner

Just because you don�t see a word in the dictionary today doesn�t mean it will never be . It�s not a static entity, because language isn�t a static entity. Webster�s has a department whose sole job is to read book, magazines, newspapers, etc. To see movies, watch TV. To listen to people.

Based on their findings, words are added; some are removed, and still others have their official definition modified. All to reflect the language as it�s used today.

So you see, you pissant dipsh*t , your attempt to make me look the fool - or whatever it was you were attempting to do has turned around and bit you on the virtual ass [the motivation of which I still haven�t the clue: Perhaps you�d care to enlighten me [for real this time] as to just why you felt the need to do it].

As a Moderator you should know better.


Oh yeah, that�s right:You got bounced from the Club.

Sweet.



[This message has been edited by Metaphysicist (edited 09-20-2002).]
 #2 
Old 2002-09-20, 11:31
junglist junglist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Part II [Furthermore, Brent]

youd think that brent would know this, i seem to remember a thread of his about the spelling of words and their pronunciation; in which he created a virtial shitload of words up, also stating that back in the real old days there wasnt a prescribed spelling for words, as long as it was readable and made sence to be spelled that way.

anyway, we all know that Brent is a douchbag and a moron, i was pretty fuckin shocked to see him as a moderator, now im glad to see that hes not.

 #3 
Old 2002-09-20, 11:37
Renegade Renegade is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Part II [Furthermore, Brent]

Metaphysicist - you have a lot of time on your hands - or your hate for Brent grows stronger.

Peace Renegade,
 #4 
Old 2002-09-20, 11:38
Super Moderator
 
Sebastopol CA
Default Re: Part II [Furthermore, Brent]

quote:
Originally posted by junglist:
anyway, we all know that Brent is a douchbag and a moron, i was pretty fuckin shocked to see him as a moderator, now im glad to see that hes not.




You know any of the background to that?
 #5 
Old 2002-09-20, 11:47
Super Moderator
 
Sebastopol CA
Default Re: Part II [Furthermore, Brent]

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade:
Metaphysicist - you have a lot of time on your hands - or your hate for Brent grows stronger.

Peace Renegade,



The former.

Between being bi-polar - and off the lithium again,

and the pain that [right now] is in my shoulders and neck is such that it's worse to put asny weight on them by laying on my bed, and everytime I've slept sitting I've been in evenworse shape and stiff when I woke up.

I don't really hate Brent: he just has such a mix of traits that I react to that together they overwhelm my self control.


[Hows that ? Do you think anyone will buy it?
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics