About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > General > Spurious Generalities
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Spurious Generalities This is the general discussion and chat forum. People can discuss just about anything they want to in this area, providing it doesn't fit in one of the other forums and provided that it will bring conversation to the thread.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-09-16, 04:13
UnclNastyFingerz UnclNastyFingerz is offline
Regular
 
Default One of the most disgusting things I've ever seen

Woody Guthrie's "This Land is Your Land" was sung by a carribean woman as an advertisement for some resort, and "New York Island" was replaced with "Virgin Islands."

The irony is so thick I can barely see my screen.This is almost as annoying as hering Bob Marley's "One Love" used to advertise Jamaican tourism, with the lyrics aptly changed.
 #2 
Old 2002-09-16, 04:56
ScorchedWeasel ScorchedWeasel is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: One of the most disgusting things I've ever seen

damnit you can't change marley to sell shit, that's wrong, bastards
 #3 
Old 2002-09-16, 04:59
TheMouse TheMouse is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: One of the most disgusting things I've ever seen

It's all about those commercials playing Clash's "London Calling" to sell cars. I think Dead Kennedys "Holiday in Cambodia" was used to sell pants or something, too.
 #4 
Old 2002-09-16, 04:59
Joe Boo Joe Boo is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: One of the most disgusting things I've ever seen

Maybe if you stick to the tourist areas in Jamaica, but go out and those people will rob your ass. The only redeeming quality about that is their beer, Red Stripe.
 #5 
Old 2002-09-16, 06:02
KRON News KRON News is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: One of the most disgusting things I've ever seen

Hi Big gay Uncle stinky. Where the fuck have you been you big gay sissy?


PS, i thought you were in Australia what the hell are you talking about carribian for. I want your pew baby you bitch
 #6 
Old 2002-09-16, 14:27
UnclNastyFingerz UnclNastyFingerz is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: One of the most disgusting things I've ever seen

Don't forget Bicardi Silver - Should I Stay or Should I Go.

The Kingston ghetto is pretty rough, but I'd prefer it to a dumb resort any day. At least you get a taste of the real world.
 #7 
Old 2002-09-16, 14:48
The_Famicommie The_Famicommie is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: One of the most disgusting things I've ever seen

What? Coporate America is using sacred pieces of goodness to sell it's shit? Why haven't I been told?
 #8 
Old 2002-09-16, 14:58
KRON News KRON News is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: One of the most disgusting things I've ever seen

The eagles to sell US Postal, Foriegner to sell Burger King.

Its not the bands that are doing this. They are pissed off because its the recording studios selling their shit.
 #9 
Old 2002-09-17, 02:41
Alan Smithee Alan Smithee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: One of the most disgusting things I've ever seen

the origional this land is your land was extremely dark, its already bastardized.
 #10 
Old 2002-09-17, 02:59
SATURNROCKETX SATURNROCKETX is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: One of the most disgusting things I've ever seen

Bob Marley is/was singing excrement. Thank you.
 #11 
Old 2002-09-17, 08:34
Regular
 
Default Re: One of the most disgusting things I've ever seen

quote:
Bob Marley is/was singing excrement. Thank you.


I'm confused, is that the same as you being a piece of shit? You're welcome
 #12 
Old 2002-09-17, 08:44
Canyonero Canyonero is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: One of the most disgusting things I've ever seen

quote:
Originally posted by SATURNROCKETX:
Bob Marley is/was singing excrement. Thank you.


Why don't you go post at skinhead.com, maybe some fuckhead there will agree with your extremely stupid views.

 #13 
Old 2002-09-17, 09:23
Regular
 
the happy land of australia
Default Re: One of the most disgusting things I've ever seen

theyve got van morrison used to sell cars here. its not even the original, its some completely butchered commercialised version (with some woman singing).

they also had some REM song for a car ad. ive never liked REM but the song (can't remember the name of it) was about youth depression and the evils of commercialism. fairly ironic i thought.
 #14 
Old 2002-09-17, 18:35
UnclNastyFingerz UnclNastyFingerz is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: One of the most disgusting things I've ever seen

The original "This Land is Your Land" was an attack on the industrial revolution. Woody felt that the industrializing America would place it in the hands of the powerful, and not the people.
 #15 
Old 2002-09-17, 21:50
FixedNDilated FixedNDilated is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: One of the most disgusting things I've ever seen

Well the latest one over here is something I never thought to see.... NIN, the Perfect Drug used to advertise cell phones. :-/
 #16 
Old 2002-09-18, 09:35
Alan Smithee Alan Smithee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: One of the most disgusting things I've ever seen

exactly nasty, It hasn't ment that for years.
 #17 
Old 2002-09-18, 10:52
www escapetwice com www escapetwice com is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: One of the most disgusting things I've ever seen

quote:
Originally posted by Canyonero:
Why don't you go post at skinhead.com, maybe some fuckhead there will agree with your extremely stupid views.




Maybe he has a legit beef with Marley? Unlikely, he didn't mention it... but I mean all kindsa people did all types of fucked-up shit most people never heard about.

I saw some "bigot" talking about Martin Luther King Jr. the other day in a chat, saying he did all this unbelievable shit like used church money to buy white prostitutes, then sodomize them, beat them, and yell dumb shit like "Who's the nigger now!"

I KNEW what he was saying was bullshit, but I decided to consult Google anyway and saw it is actually true. I guess King did this many MANY times, and at least a few sessions were recorded by the FBI's wiretaps and bugs. Of course the audio is sealed until almost 2040, because anything that enlightening shouldn't be freely available, you know?

I guess revealing him as a scumbag would be too much of a hassle because we already gave him all these avenues and highways and a holiday and shit. And how exactly do you tell elementary school kids that you will no longer be celebrating his birthday because he beat up and assfucked women with even less social power than "his people" had?

I also got wind of a bunch of real stories about how King plaguerized(sp) many if his speeches and other writings, including his DOCTORAL THESIS, which was over 50% stolen.

If he was anyone else, he would have had his degree stripped post-humously.

I read this shit as excerpts from big papers, not on skinhead sites or anything. It is all true... go look.

So anyway I have no clue if Marley did anything wrong or not... but maybe SATURN wasn't just being rude. He probably was and this is all just for nothing, but hey... wanted to mention.
 #18 
Old 2002-09-18, 11:08
Renegade Renegade is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: One of the most disgusting things I've ever seen

The California Punk Band "The Ataris" had the song "The Radio Still Sucks" on a Apple Mac advertisement.

Peace Renegade,
 #19 
Old 2002-09-18, 15:48
Regular
 
Default Re: One of the most disgusting things I've ever seen

quote:
I think Dead Kennedys "Holiday in Cambodia" was used to sell pants or something, too.

Perhaps "Holiday in Cambodia" could be revived to advertise the country's growing reputation as a venue for child sex tourism (remove the "don't" in the "don't forget to pack your wife" line).

Perhaps the worst example of changing the words to a song I can think of is a Christian band covering Nirvana's "All Apologies" and replacing "everyone is gay" with "Jesus is the way".

quote:
I saw some "bigot" talking about Martin Luther King Jr. the other day in a chat, saying he did all this unbelievable shit like used church money to buy white prostitutes, then sodomize them, beat them, and yell dumb shit like "Who's the nigger now!"

I KNEW what he was saying was bullshit, but I decided to consult Google anyway and saw it is actually true
I can't find anything on Google to suggest that Luther King beat, sodomised or said "who's the nigger now" to women. Of course, he cheated his PhD and used prostitutes, but there's a big difference between this little-known side of his character (weak, amoral/immoral) and what you suggested (vicious, psychotic).
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics