|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Spurious Generalities This is the general discussion and chat forum. People can discuss just about anything they want to in this area, providing it doesn't fit in one of the other forums and provided that it will bring conversation to the thread. |
 |
|
#1
 2002-09-09, 23:37
|
|
Super Moderator
|
|
Sebastopol CA
|
|
Consider This Fair Warning ;)
Here, as promised [or threatened], for those who just can't wait for the next installment of "As Metaphysicist Yammers On", is the part that was cut out of the post [from which I cut it]:
Remember: I did warn you:
Since I first discovered that I had a talent for writing music [I should say ever since I found out that people really liked what I did I had wrote and recorded about one tape a year of new music. [The recordings are well done. One friend is a recording engineer, by profession, so you know it's not just some guitar recorded on a boombox thing].
1993 was the last tape I did. The last song I wrote and recorded was a serious one I wrote for my daughter [I don't hardly ever write anything serious, it usually ends up getting to corny and/or sappy, so I stayed away from serious. This one, though was well done. Amazing what you can do when it's something really heart felt
[shameless plug] You can hear it for yourself at the MP3.com page I have: Alchemy�s Song [/shameless plug]
It was right after that that my life took a crap [wife left, took kid, body cast, etc.]; Understandably I didn't feel much like doing music.
But I've been back on my feet for at least 4 to 5 years, yet I hadn't felt the spark; I had hardly even picked up my bass [though a large part of that was that my operation had left my left hand not-fully-functioning and that is the main hand for guitars. Every time I did try to play I got real frustrated because my brain still knew what to do, but my hand wasn�t being a team player].
This past X-mas, though, my friend the recording engineer all but forced me to do a X-mas song. So I did; almost as much to get off my back as any other reason.
It wasn't the best thing I had ever done - not by a long shot: It was barely passable [in my opinion].
It did though seem to break up dam, unclog the works. In the next month I wrote a dozen sets of lyrics - no music yet.
Thing was, though, they were all about my break up, and all that had happened in '95: About still being in love with my wife and wanting to get her back, and all that crap. All a bunch of real downer crap � not my norm at all. I call them Therapy Songs. Because, the thing is, that was not at all how I now felt. It was how I felt back then, yeah, but not now. It was like I had to get all of that crap out of my system before I could get back to what I was best at.
It was about then, IIRC, that I stumbled across the 44-D thread. Something just struck me then and I jumped in. [This is the connection to the post I said it was cut from....for those keeping score]
I've been steadily working on my next project, which my friend is going to mix in quad [and/or surround sound] and the cover of the CD will 3D.
I�m even going to use one or two of the Therapy Songs; too many have told me I have to do it.
{I can�t recall, but I think I posted one or two here � it would have been around the first of the year. Hmmm..No matter}
FIN
[This message has been edited by Metaphysicist (edited 09-09-2002).]
|
|
#2
 2002-09-09, 23:47
|
ScorchedWeasel 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Consider This Fair Warning ;)
just listened to Alchemy's Song, quite liked it too
|
|
#3
 2002-09-10, 00:48
|
syphon detonator 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Consider This Fair Warning ;)
not at all like the garbage that they play on the radio. i like it. there is a real jazzy feel with the bass line and its strangly soothing. reminds me of some phish like qualities. did you play that on a fretless bass, it sounds really warm and smooth.
|
|
#4
 2002-09-10, 00:54
|
CRaZyAmishMaN 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Consider This Fair Warning ;)
i like the sound of it... i'd have to agree, it's soothing.
and alchemy, what a fucking amazing name.
|
|
#5
 2002-09-10, 02:29
|
MR.SMITH 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Consider This Fair Warning ;)
I have to disagree, i totally utterly hated it. But alot of people say I have bad taste. I am more into bad religion, good riddance, etc.. Congrats on the song though.
|
|
#6
 2002-09-11, 06:51
|
|
Super Moderator
|
|
Sebastopol CA
|
|
Re: Consider This Fair Warning ;)
quote: Originally posted by MR.SMITH: I have to disagree, i totally utterly hated it. But alot of people say I have bad taste. I am more into bad religion, good riddance, etc.. Congrats on the song though.
I really like Bad Religion too. I can respect the fact that you didn't like the song [though saying that you 'totally utterly hated it' seems a might strong  ] There is really only one person who's opinion matters to me for this song, and I need not worry about that: I'm her Daddy - and at the age she is she still thinks I can walk on water. Besides, 3 out of 4 do like it - that's not too damn bad. Perhaps Cryptomba is more towards your liking, or Tired, Bored & Grumpy. Then again, perhaps not. http://artists.mp3s.com/artist_song/2120/2120816.html
|
|
#7
 2002-09-13, 02:25
|
syphon detonator 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Consider This Fair Warning ;)
fretless or freted?
|
|
#8
 2002-09-23, 08:04
|
hp 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Consider This Fair Warning ;)
I know that my post is late, but that's probably why i'm posting it.
You see, I heard your song when you first shared it some 3 weeks ago but didn't really have a comment for it; I just thought it was an okay song.
Now though, for some reason, it always keeps on keeping back to my head. Several times a day, i'm reminded of the "oh Alchemy, my baby" tune. I don't know why. I'm probably just a fucking psycho and you shoudln't pay attention to me, but I still wanted to tell you that something of your song has truely got into me.
My suggestion: don't put down your bass just yet. There's something about your sound that I enjoyed and i'm willing to bet that plenty of people do too. Surely, lyrics isn't your strongest side, and neither are your vocals, but with a bit of work, you can produce some good stuff.
|
|
#9
 2002-09-23, 23:22
|
|
Super Moderator
|
|
Sebastopol CA
|
|
Re: Consider This Fair Warning ;)
quote: Originally posted by hp:
I know that my post is late, but that's probably why i'm posting it.
You see, I heard your song when you first shared it some 3 weeks ago but didn't really have a comment for it; I just thought it was an okay song.
Now though, for some reason, it always keeps on keeping back to my head. Several times a day, i'm reminded of the "oh Alchemy, my baby" tune. I don't know why. I'm probably just a fucking psycho and you shoudln't pay attention to me, but I still wanted to tell you that something of your song has truely got into me.
Thank you. Though there's only one person whose opinion mattered on that particular song [Alchemy, of course], it's never the less great when others tell me that they like it. quote: My suggestion: don't put down your bass just yet. There's something about your sound that I enjoyed and i'm willing to bet that plenty of people do too.
I've been working on it again these past few months, though it's quite frustrating at times: my brain knows what to do, but somehow it doesn't make it to the left hand. quote: Surely, lyrics isn't your strongest side, and neither are your vocals, but with a bit of work, you can produce some good stuff.
Hmm, I had always thought that lyrics were one of my stronger sides. Just goes to show you... [You shouldn't base things on just one song, though] As for my vocals... You ain't kidding; I happen to think they are the next thing to nails on a chalkboard; not something the listening public should be subjected to ;-) Syphon >> Wired fret [It's a Peavey Cyberbass - a MIDI bass]
|
|
#10
 2002-09-24, 01:25
|
syphon detonator 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Consider This Fair Warning ;)
*drools*
how much did you pay for that? i would love to get a midi bass but im sure they are damn expensive.
|
|
#11
 2002-09-24, 02:25
|
neon 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Consider This Fair Warning ;)
44-D on CD. Sounds like a winner to me. Do i get a complimentary copy Meta?
|
|
#12
 2002-09-24, 12:35
|
|
Super Moderator
|
|
Sebastopol CA
|
|
Re: Consider This Fair Warning ;)
quote: Originally posted by neon: 44-D on CD. Sounds like a winner to me. Do i get a complimentary copy Meta?
Natch. ;-)
|
|
#13
 2002-09-24, 12:36
|
|
Super Moderator
|
|
Sebastopol CA
|
|
Re: Consider This Fair Warning ;)
quote: Originally posted by syphon detonator: *drools*
how much did you pay for that? i would love to get a midi bass but im sure they are damn expensive.
Including the synth unit [really just a DPM V3, programmed for use with the CyberBass]: $1350.00. And the real kick-in-the-ass? I got the thing just a few months before I went under the knife. [And as you know] that left me with very little use of my left hand, so I've never really had a chance to explore it's full potential. Though lately I have been doing more work, trying to get more use of the hand back [I'd say it's about 70 -75% of pre-op]. Still: it get damn frustrating to not have your hand follow what your brain is instructing. [This message has been edited by Metaphysicist (edited 09-24-2002).]
|
|
#14
 2002-09-24, 18:43
|
LutherX 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Consider This Fair Warning ;)
quote: [wife left, took kid, body cast, etc.]
Your wife took your body cast? The bitch...
|
|
#15
 2002-09-24, 18:54
|
djsam 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Consider This Fair Warning ;)
Sounds great.
I myself am also something of a musician, I've released around 40 songs by myself, and have had 3 tracks on actual cds (as in, put out my a real label). Of course, they're all dreadfully boring trance/ebm songs, but I've been trying to "expand my horizons". Currently I'm actually studying classical music, since classical guitar was what got me into this in the first place (For a few months they thought I was a "prodigy" of some sorts when I first started playing, of course, as soon as they said that, my progress went to zero, and I stopped improving).
|
|
#16
 2002-09-24, 19:03
|
djsam 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Consider This Fair Warning ;)
And since meta gets to have a shameless plug, so do I. http://djsam.phucknut.net/classical.mp3 http://djsam.phucknut.net/classical2.mp3 http://djsam.phucknut.net/classical3.mp3
It should be noted that the first file was recorded something like a year ago. Hence the crappy recording.
|
|
#17
 2002-09-24, 20:33
|
|
Moderator
|
|
Through the looking glass
|
|
Re: Consider This Fair Warning ;)
Alchemy's Song (On the site it says Ali's Song...) is good. Nice and mellow. The song is emotional but not too much. If I didn't know the basic history of the song (from what I've read here) than it would just be okay, the history makes it better.
Cryptomba is also good. Reminds me of the Dead Kennedys. Biafra also didn't have a good voice, but with the music and lyrics it was all good.
Tired, Bored and Grumpy is the same way. A good tune. If you had a better voice it would be great. Although that sort of adds to it. More punk.
I've heard the last two before... did you post your songs by The Mad Mortician before? I doubt we've talked privately. Hm.. Maybe on LIA?
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|