|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Spurious Generalities This is the general discussion and chat forum. People can discuss just about anything they want to in this area, providing it doesn't fit in one of the other forums and provided that it will bring conversation to the thread. |
 |
|
#1
 2002-08-13, 03:24
|
The_Famicommie 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Old people have no respect...
I was sitting on a public bench today and some older whackjob sits next to me and commences to explain how my generation is fucking up the world, with it's disrepectful music, votes for the "damn stupidest" politicians, jacking up the price of pharmaceuticals, making tires that catch on fire for no damn reason, and so on.
I call him a whackjob, because gen Xers haven't really had a chance to fuck the world up just yet.
So I says: You are absolutely right sir. I wish we were as sound as your generation, so that we might do genious things like invent "Mutually Assured Destruction" and "Balance of Terror."
He told me I have no respect.
|
|
#2
 2002-08-13, 03:29
|
confuzious 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Old people have no respect...
I know what you mean.
*goes off muttering about old people these days
|
|
#3
 2002-08-13, 03:41
|
MaTrIXSpiirit 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Old people have no respect...
I thought generation X was during the 80's. I grew up during the 90's (17). I thought the 90's was the millenium's, Gay, I know, is this what you call it?
-=MaTrIXSpiirit=-
|
|
#4
 2002-08-13, 03:50
|
MR.SMITH 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Old people have no respect...
That is what my parents call it im 16 now so what gen would I be? I dont intend on fucking up the world, i intend on moving to British Columbia and having 6 marijuana plants, and working for a nice software engineering company.
|
|
#5
 2002-08-13, 03:54
|
Brent 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Old people have no respect...
I for one agree with all those old geezers.
|
|
#6
 2002-08-13, 04:01
|
Thoughtmonger 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Old people have no respect...
I'm sure you do.
But, that geezer and his generation fucked up too.
[This message has been edited by Thoughtmonger (edited 08-13-2002).]
|
|
#7
 2002-08-13, 04:44
|
Joe Boo 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Old people have no respect...
Let's not forget the fucked up decade of the 60's
|
|
#8
 2002-08-13, 05:27
|
Phantom 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Old people have no respect...
all previous generations fucked up this planet. That is why I must 'cleanse' it and begin anew. I am now accepting applications to be part of my new pure genetic base. Please submit hair, skin, saliva, blood, and semen samples. Oh yeah, provide 3 references as well.
|
|
#9
 2002-08-13, 09:03
|
|
Super Moderator
|
|
Sebastopol CA
|
|
Re: Old people have no respect...
quote: Originally posted by MaTrIXSpiirit: I thought generation X was during the 80's. I grew up during the 90's (17). I thought the 90's was the millenium's, Gay, I know, is this what you call it?
-=MaTrIXSpiirit=-
If I understood/understand things right, which I don't I'm sure... When I first heard the term 'Generation X' [outside of the band, that is], was the early 90's. At that time I understood that to mean those who were then, had just, and was soon to be going through the high school years. This had always had me, and others of my 'generation' that I spoke with on this subject, wonder where we ['we' being the 'generation'] stood or what we were (called). See, the most common definition that I've heard of 'baby boomer' is someone born between 1943 and 1963. I was born in 1963. So by that definition, I am a baby boomer. But that don't work for me. First of all and most of all: My Dadd [ not a mis-spelling] was born in 1943. That would make us both baby boomers. Sorry, but that's just too weird for me: somehow, in some orthogonal way, it seems incestuous. Plus, 'we' [the generation'] is nothing like that of my Dadd's. So we aren't baby boomers. Nor are we Gen-Xers. Obviously. So, what then? I've seen this issue brought up once by the media [that's not to say that it hasn't been extensively discussed to death: I just haven't come across it]. In that instance it did have a name for 'us' [refresher: Us= those too young to be boomers, too old to be Gen-X]. It called us "'Tweeners" [For those who don't get it, and don't snicker: there will be some who don't, 'Tweener is short for: In Betweeners - in between baby boomers and gen-x [that last is for the terminally dense. I would say 'You know who you are", but I'm afraid they don't. We do though]. So let me hear from the other two out there to whom this definition addresses: What say you? Like it? Hate it? Don't give a flying f**k? [yeah, me neither. In fact, I don't know why I wasted so much time and space on such as this. Perhaps it's an itch I need to scratch: I haven't written a novella length post in quite a while - People might start to lose faith in the universe if I don't, and I can't have that now, can I? ;-) ]
|
|
#10
 2002-08-13, 12:29
|
|
Moderator
|
|
Through the looking glass
|
|
Re: Old people have no respect...
We can be Generation Y. Even better than X. We're a step up the ladder. Yes we are.
Every generation fucks the world up. Just living fucks up the world.
|
|
#11
 2002-08-13, 15:14
|
|
Moderator
|
|
Facedown in the shag rug.
|
|
Re: Old people have no respect...
Yeah, this whole generation nonsense is confusing. I've heard Generation Y thrown around and it makes me think of those damn 12-year-old AOL pokemon freaks. Ya know, that kid down the street wearing Old Navy and not remembering the Ninja Turtles as the gods they were. That's not me.
At the same time, I don't really fit into Generation X. Those seem to be the pissed off twenty-somethings that are now carrying their disregard for everything into the mainstream workforce.
If you go by the 20-year thing, I straddle the line. 1983. I can still remember the times when computers were a nerd thing, but my memories of the 80s are generally somewhat scarce.
Perhaps I'll just ignore the generation crap. I'll just settle into my digerati stoner label...
|
|
#12
 2002-08-13, 17:05
|
|
Moderator
|
|
The fine line between genius and madness
|
|
Re: Old people have no respect...
^I hear ya. I'm from '83 too and that sounds a little too familiar.
|
|
#13
 2002-08-13, 18:39
|
Mack 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Old people have no respect...
Well times have sure changed, but its not our fault. Taking a ride in the bus an old woman falls, everybody lloks at her... and thats it, heh. I tried to be nice and do things different once, some old woman comes in the bus, and as usual I have my seat and nobody is going to take it nomatter what, yes thats right aient nobody gettint my seat, Im obssesed with that, even if its 10 punks with butterflys heh. So I show the old woman that I give her the place, but she said no, I insisted, she said no. got me a little pissed but I didnt care. Id just like to know and see how other people reacted to that, thats why I did it, but I wasnt able to find the answer, how others reacted to that, lets put it in a simple way, as a child would think,did they see me as an angel? Or just a nice guy? Or some strenge fuvk who cant defend himself cause hes so nice? Thats childish thinking, but I cant understand how a grownup approaches that, cause I dont know myself, I just did it to test. I wonder if I can do it again, so next time some I show the world and make them feel bad muahaha  what I mean byt "its not our fault" is that the oldies were doing bad things in their times so they prepared us that way, and now they pay the price when an old lady has to stand in the bus. Thats what I believe.
|
|
#14
 2002-08-13, 19:35
|
junglist 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Old people have no respect...
hey fammicommie. i killed my gramma for you. did you make it to that TAB show @ the fox?
|
|
#15
 2002-08-13, 19:45
|
hockey hair 02 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Old people have no respect...
i agree with mr smith. i live in the vancouver area (in british columbia for those who dont know) and it is said, known, and accepted that BC has the best bud
|
|
#16
 2002-08-13, 19:47
|
tr0g 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Old people have no respect...
This is how it started..
Generation Me (Now Gerital)
Generation Now
Generation X (My Generation.. 80s highschoolers)
Generation Y is the unofficial class for you.
And Im Guessing the next is Generation Z but right now Generation Y can also be called Generation 0 for the new Mellenium.
what comes after Z anyways?
|
|
#17
 2002-08-13, 19:54
|
syphon detonator 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Old people have no respect...
i think generation corperate slave is more fitting for the youth taday since the vast majority are mtv lovin' cock suckers who know nothing more than what a corperation wants them to.....
|
|
#18
 2002-08-13, 19:59
|
Mack 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Old people have no respect...
Totaly agree on that on Detonator, but thats the way it is with all of us I believe, we just dont know cause were to much into it, its part of us since genrations, what the media showed, how the medsi devides classes, were trapped.
Cause even if we think were different and know the truth, we cant cause, cause we can only get what was given for genration to generation by the industry.
|
|
#19
 2002-08-13, 20:26
|
|
Moderator
|
|
Through the looking glass
|
|
Re: Old people have no respect...
Maybe they start over again, tr0g. I'm a bit of a Generation Xy, from 1986. I remember TMNT and Gi Joe and everything but was a little young for the rise of computers.
|
|
#20
 2002-08-14, 00:24
|
|
Moderator
|
|
Through the looking glass
|
|
Re: Old people have no respect...
Alright, I've never experienced this disrespect first hand but I was reading Hard Times, a book about the Depression (it's an oral biography), and it's full of these people from that time saying how we couldn't handle another Depression and we'd just collapse. This one guy was saying that all guys today are homosexuals. He didn't say gay, or queer, or anything to imply just different, he said homosexual. And the general consensus is that today's society would just give up on trying to help people if there was another Crash. I don't see why no one trusts in society today. Our life is easier because of technology but that technology still needs to be run and that is the hard part. It's not like we just put the AC on and kick back. Jobs are needed to pay for the electricity, etc.
Hmmph.
|
|
#21
 2002-08-14, 01:25
|
razorlines 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Old people have no respect...
So what would be the generation for young, impressionable, lazy teens...like me?
|
|
#22
 2002-08-14, 03:26
|
tr0g 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Old people have no respect...
quote: Originally posted by xenosss: Maybe they start over again, tr0g. I'm a bit of a Generation Xy, from 1986. I remember TMNT and Gi Joe and everything but was a little young for the rise of computers.
being Born in 1986 doesnt classify you as Gen X im afraid. You fall into the next Generation. I was at the end of Generation Now in highschool. I started in 1979 (How scarey is that.. I actually went to highschool in the 70s for 3 months tillt he 80s rolled up on me) but anyways I think these labels of Generation Who and Generation What are just another way for Marketers to capitalize on us. Fuck Labels. [This message has been edited by tr0g (edited 08-14-2002).]
|
|
#23
 2002-08-14, 05:21
|
Joe Boo 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Old people have no respect...
quote: Originally posted by hockey hair 02: i agree with mr smith. i live in the vancouver area (in british columbia for those who dont know) and it is said, known, and accepted that BC has the best bud
Didn't know that. I've always heard it's Vietnamese and Hawaiian Weed.
|
|
#24
 2002-08-14, 11:54
|
Renegade 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Old people have no respect...
I have respect for anyone who fought in world war 2. But do they have respect for me ? Doubt it.
Peace Renegade,
|
|
#25
 2002-08-14, 17:58
|
The_Famicommie 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Old people have no respect...
Nah, I missed it Junglist, and I have to miss Sonic Youth's show on Saturday because of goddamn work. :*(
Why do I miss all of the good concerts?
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|