About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > General > Spurious Generalities
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Spurious Generalities This is the general discussion and chat forum. People can discuss just about anything they want to in this area, providing it doesn't fit in one of the other forums and provided that it will bring conversation to the thread.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-08-11, 03:35
tr0g tr0g is offline
Regular
 
Default How does this BBS Work?

Sinse my kids are on their computers and we are all sharing one DSL server on a wireless router I noticed when i click Submit new topic/Post new message that it delays big time. It doesnt delay on download but I just figured out that after I type this It seems to be uploading my message to totse. So as dumb as this Question might be, Is this Text Buffer using my space on my Hard drive before I click the post button? by typing this message am I then Uploading (As small as it maybe) data to TOTSE web Server. And if this is whats happening does it sort of leave Totse open to virus or trojans?


Muhahahahah
 #2 
Old 2002-08-11, 04:46
Moderator
 
The fine line between genius and madness
Default Re: How does this BBS Work?

With nearly 2000 posts it looks to me like you figured out how to work it.

Seriously, I have no fucking ides. I don't even understand half of what you said. But does it matter how it works, as long as it works. You will never hear me say that again about anything. I want to know everything.
 #3 
Old 2002-08-11, 05:53
TOWCHBob TOWCHBob is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: How does this BBS Work?

I'm geussing it uses a javascript text feild to submit your post to a server, The server then automatically updates the site with your post. You couldn't submit a virus because it won't let you send a file, just text.
 #4 
Old 2002-08-11, 16:45
Jadedfool Jadedfool is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: How does this BBS Work?

it is theoretically possible to escape the perl code that takes your text and sticks it into the UBB, and then insert malicious code that would backdoor the webserver, but you seem to fail to realize that just by uploading someting to a machine, you don't compromise it. Unless you upload a new inetd.conf or /etc/shadow, in which case you've replaced something. Trojans need to be executed, so you could theoretically upload virii and trojans to your hearts content, and it wouldn't do a dammned thing, because they would just sit there...
 #5 
Old 2002-08-11, 19:11
baas baas is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: How does this BBS Work?

hey! why dont you ask one of your kids to help you, i`m sure they`d know how.
 #6 
Old 2002-08-11, 19:18
Wintermute Wintermute is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: How does this BBS Work?

The only really good exploits on a ubb involve HTML, which is why it's turned off for security reasons on anything but private boards..

All the text you input is filtered and processed for things like UBB code and urls, appended to the .cgi file for the thread, and then the .html file for the thread is subsequently updated.. The slow speed at times is more to do with CPU time than bandwidth.
 #7 
Old 2002-08-11, 20:07
tr0g tr0g is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: How does this BBS Work?

quote:
Originally posted by Prometheus:
With nearly 2000 posts it looks to me like you figured out how to work it.

Seriously, I have no fucking ides. I don't even understand half of what you said. But does it matter how it works, as long as it works. You will never hear me say that again about anything. I want to know everything.



Thats good. Very good. Very constructive response. Very good.
 #8 
Old 2002-08-11, 20:23
Regular
 
temara morocco
Default Re: How does this BBS Work?

maybe u must migrate to PHP because ur CGI programs are kind of slow now (not very )
 #9 
Old 2002-08-12, 10:14
Renegade Renegade is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: How does this BBS Work?

Like it has been said. "It works" what that to worry about ?

Peace Renegade,
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics